Dome with slider megareview

Chyros

13 Feb 2016, 19:58

I've mentioned several times I was going to make this; here it is!
I forgot to add the Topre clip in at the end, but that one ranks at 10/10. Hope you enjoy it! :)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

13 Feb 2016, 20:15

I did not know that Fujitsu Peerless is notorious? :lol: So I guess NMB and BTC rule the domes. I wish you could try
the Olivetti ANK 25-101, the best feeling rubberdome I have ever tried. Of course you forgot the "most expensive rubberdome on the planet" keyboard in your dome-special. :mrgreen:

Ray

13 Feb 2016, 20:25

Impressive collection of spare parts and information!
I had to laugh at "Let me show you what happes when you shake the board a little bit"

Thanks

Chyros

13 Feb 2016, 20:36

seebart wrote: Of course you forgot the "most expensive rubberdome on the planet" keyboard in your dome-special. :mrgreen:
I had actually pre-recorded a Topre clip for this video last week, but I forgot to add it in (and the format I recorded it in was very different so it'd look weird). They would be 10/10.

courtesi

13 Feb 2016, 20:53

As always, I love your reviews :)

Comments/questions:

The Olivetti should have double shot keycaps. This may not matter much since the older boards have much higher quality legends than what is available today.

What would be considered the best fullsize BTC dome keyboard in ANSI layout? If it's Packard Bell which model #'s should I be looking for? I know some will say Topre is better but I'm not crazy about the longer key travel nor the price.

Nevermind; according to the Deskthority WIKI I should be looking for a 5139...

As strange and odd as it sounds if it weren't for buckling springs I'd be 100% invested in rubber domes. As far as mechanical boards go [for me] I don't feel MX/Alps have lived up to the hype.

Chyros

13 Feb 2016, 23:33

courtesi wrote: As always, I love your reviews :)

Comments/questions:

The Olivetti should have double shot keycaps. This may not matter much since the older boards have much higher quality legends than what is available today.

What would be considered the best fullsize BTC dome keyboard in ANSI layout? If it's Packard Bell which model #'s should I be looking for? I know some will say Topre is better but I'm not crazy about the longer key travel nor the price.

Nevermind; according to the Deskthority WIKI I should be looking for a 5139...

As strange and odd as it sounds if it weren't for buckling springs I'd be 100% invested in rubber domes. As far as mechanical boards go [for me] I don't feel MX/Alps have lived up to the hype.
There are many BTC dome with slider models out there, I'm sure there are several you could happily use. Don't pay more than a few of your local currency for them; after NMB dome with slider and Mitsumis, these are the ones I found most commonly (interesting how the best ones appear to be the most common ones). I'm sure you can find them in many places with little effort.

seaworthy

18 Feb 2016, 20:04

@Chyros Just a note to say thank you for all your reviews. In general, I find them fairly useful when they’re released, but when I’m trying to research something the value the body of work goes parabolic—a great reference resource.

I’m going to get in on the Infinity Massdrop to get a clicky Matias board, and I’m trying to decide whether or not I’d like the aluminum case (vs plastic). I just watched your NTC review where you show a plastic vs a metal backplate.

Thanks again for taking time to review the boards and share you experiences.

Muirium
µ

18 Feb 2016, 20:20

While agreeing with the value of Chyros' work, I will still point out that a metal plate and a full metal case are far from the same thing. The plate affects the switch feel — transforms it, frankly — while a metal case amplifies keyboard sound tremendously and makes the whole thing heavier and more static on your desk. Or painful on your lap! Plates make the difference between a lightweight and a regular keyboard. A metal case puts you straight into super heavyweight.

ohaimark
Kingpin

18 Feb 2016, 20:32

seaworthy wrote: ... goes parabolic...
I expected to read "goes exponential," but goes parabolic makes more sense. Mildly useful, very useful, then back to mildly useful. A bell-type curve.

I'm a fan of the videos, mind you. In terms of entertainment they're very useful to us hobbyists.

E3E

19 Feb 2016, 01:51

Muirium wrote: While agreeing with the value of Chyros' work, I will still point out that a metal plate and a full metal case are far from the same thing. The plate affects the switch feel — transforms it, frankly — while a metal case amplifies keyboard sound tremendously and makes the whole thing heavier and more static on your desk. Or painful on your lap! Plates make the difference between a lightweight and a regular keyboard. A metal case puts you straight into super heavyweight.
So then, good Muirium, what are your opinions on full metal custom boards versus vintage boards with metal plates? I've got a few blue Alps boards with metal backs, and a few customs, though only one Alps custom at the moment, with aluminum housings.

Also, wouldn't panel (or simply "back") make more sense than bottom plate? I guess it's more of a semantic thing, but since keyboards typically have mounting plates, saying "metal bottom plate" kind of sounds awkward to me. :P

Below is some random babble:

All of the Alps boards with metal plates that I've owned top out at just over 4 lbs. I never measured the weight of my NTC 6151N before it killed itself though. It seemed pretty hefty.

My Focus FK-555 weighs in at 4lbs 9oz

My FAME TH-5539 weighs in at 4lbs 5oz

My Leading Edge DC-3014 weighs in at 3lbs 13 oz

The first two are metal-backed, but the last one is all plastic. It doesn't seem like there's too much of a weight difference there. Little less than a pound. The Hammer-cased 60% Alps build I have is 3lbs 4oz, so just over a pound behind the FAME.

I'd say the metal-backed boards definitely have this certain crispness about them, coupled with the plastic top bezels, I think it makes for a really nice blend of a more refined sound with the warmth that a plastic housing brings. Though these metal-backed boards usually always have a lot more spring resonance as a side-effect.

Typing on blue Alps on any Leading Edge board, the 2014 or 3014 has reminded me of the sound cereal boxes make when you shake them. I love that sound. The feel isn't TOO drastically different from the metal ones, but the LE is very very well built.

I use green Alps on the Hammer and well, it sounds and feels quite nice, but I've also dampened the board and use a carbon fiber plate. I've also used blue Alps with it, and it had a very airy sound, I suppose because of the dampening and the open tray-style design of its case, despite being high profile.

I dunno. We'll see how things are when the Orion v2 with its full aluminum body comes in along with the Alps plate! I hear that one is a hulking 8+ lbs. With a brass weight, oh man. I need to get a brass weight for it.
Last edited by E3E on 19 Feb 2016, 01:52, edited 1 time in total.

Chyros

19 Feb 2016, 01:51

Thanks for the compliments guys, you might find this weekend's one quite interesting too ;) .

stratokaster

01 Mar 2016, 15:54

Excellent review. I quite like NMB domes as well.

alh84001
v.001

04 Sep 2016, 17:09

Would a 2-piece keycap rubber dome M qualify as a dome with slider? :)

Too bad you didn't rate one. From what little I typed on it, it was horrible.

chzel

04 Sep 2016, 17:12

alh84001 wrote: ...a 2-piece keycap rubber dome M...
Aren't they all single piece? At least one I know of was single piece!

alh84001
v.001

04 Sep 2016, 17:39

Oh yeah, you're right. Mine were single piece as well. Such lovely keycaps, that it's a shame there's not a better use for them.

Return to “Reviews”