Great gaming keyboard for $40 or less! (linearised Bigfoot)

Chyros

09 Apr 2016, 20:23

Something a little different this time; a video on how to linear-mod an AT101W to make a great linear mechanical gaming keyboard, and cheaply too. Hope you enjoy the video! :D

davkol

09 Apr 2016, 20:50

Ummm, isn't the Bigfoot just the AT101-2 made by Alps Electric, not Silitek (i.e., AT101W/AT102W)? Or is there any Alps Bigfoot with winkeys?

From the wiki:
Later Dell AT101 keyboards, as well as at the AT101W and AT102W, were made by Silitek, with an identical design to the Alps-made keyboards; it is not known whether this transfer of manufacturing was amicable, or whether it was arranged without the participation and approval of Alps Electric.
Or do we call non-Alps AT101W/AT102W "bigfoot"?

Chyros

10 Apr 2016, 00:30

davkol wrote: Ummm, isn't the Bigfoot just the AT101-2 made by Alps Electric, not Silitek (i.e., AT101W/AT102W)? Or is there any Alps Bigfoot with winkeys?
All Dell AT101s are generally referred to as "Dell Bigfoot". The actual Alps-made versions, which includes the SGI, are often called "Alps Bigfoot". All the ones shown in this video, including the old-logo one, are Silitek-made, by the way.

Sankart

10 Apr 2016, 01:03

I always wondered why Matias linear switches use a leaf, imo. removing them doesn't hurt the switch at all.
Removing the spring from blacks is a great idea and since I don't like or recommend any of the standard Cherry switches, it's probably a great and cheap way to get started with mechanical keyboards. Sadly most people who are looking for a gamer keyboard would probably never settle for a Dell AT10X, since there aren't enough LEDs on this keyboard.

On another note I like your reviews a lot and really enjoy watching them. Keep up the good work!

Chyros

10 Apr 2016, 01:11

Sankart wrote: I always wondered why Matias linear switches use a leaf, imo. removing them doesn't hurt the switch at all.
Removing the spring from blacks is a great idea and since I don't like or recommend any of the standard Cherry switches, it's probably a great and cheap way to get started with mechanical keyboards. Sadly most people who are looking for a gamer keyboard would probably never settle for a Dell AT10X, since there aren't enough LEDs on this keyboard.

On another note I like your reviews a lot and really enjoy watching them. Keep up the good work!
Thanks very much! :D

Hahaha, yeah, it's true, it doesn't have the fancy backlighting and ugly futuristic fonts and everything, but the way I see it, it's got everything a gamer could possibly need. Fairly light, super smooth, super responsive switches in a modern layout. The board can take some pretty good knocks, and it's cheap as chips to boot. A win-win the way I see it.

I suspect Matias put a linear leaf in to stabilise the switch more. Having no stabilisers on one side might make the slider wobble more - and Matias are already known for wobbling more than their ancestors.

Sankart

10 Apr 2016, 01:39

Regarding looks, I really have to restrain myself from drawing a parallel between the Dell and a certain Packard Bell :D .

I always disliked Cherrys modern linear switches, but I newer knew why, until I tried some vintage blacks. Sadly most boards with those are way more expensive than the Dell board.
If only the AEK II didn't have that stupid ADB-Port it'd be of equal value for the money. It's a little more expensive, but the keycaps are way nicer I think.

The linear leaf in Matias switches totally ruins the switch for me though. They get a very light tactile bump which makes the switch one of the worst I've ever tried.* If I had to name a worse one I'd have to resort to Cherry MY, I think.... But yes, I feel like the keywobble of the Matias switches is their one major weakness. Other than that the QC switch is very nice.

*I can only speak for myself of course.

emdude
Model M Apologist

10 Apr 2016, 02:50

Really interesting video!

I am curious; I have only seen SKCM Cream Damped Alps click-modded, for AEK IIs. How does the sound and feel of the click-modded Black Alps compare to other clicky Alps switches, including click-modded alps?

Chyros

10 Apr 2016, 03:02

emdude wrote: Really interesting video!

I am curious; I have only seen SKCM Cream Damped Alps click-modded, for AEK IIs. How does the sound and feel of the click-modded Black Alps compare to other clicky Alps switches, including click-modded alps?
You can click-mod all tactile Alps switches; oranges in particular are said to be really good. Of course, because a tactile leaf is completely different from a click leaf, the sound is different. As for the whole feel, I'll do a video on it sometime in the future maybe ;) .

bubblebobbler

10 Apr 2016, 11:51

Sankart wrote: since I don't like or recommend any of the standard Cherry switches

what would you recommend on the linear front in which case, especially for 'beginners'? I for-the-most-part won't recommend cherry either - but I did like the very worn-in mx blacks I had on a second-hand keyboard. Maybe I was lucky and they were lubed by the previous owner since he'd performed other mods on the board, but they were actually really nice.

Are gateron blacks truly that much better, or are you thinking of a harder-to-find option?

davkol

10 Apr 2016, 12:28

Chyros wrote:
davkol wrote: Ummm, isn't the Bigfoot just the AT101-2 made by Alps Electric, not Silitek (i.e., AT101W/AT102W)? Or is there any Alps Bigfoot with winkeys?
All Dell AT101s are generally referred to as "Dell Bigfoot".
That is news to me, but I won't go into another heated debate.

Sankart

10 Apr 2016, 14:13

I really don't know of a good, modern linear switch, but I never looked into Gateron, since I don't want to support the way they achieve their prices.
If I was a sucker for linear switches and was on a tight budget I'd probably try Chyros modded Dell, or if I was too lazy to open all these switches I'd get a vintage G80 with lasered keycaps, they tend to be rather cheap as well. Broken in Cherry switches are quite good I think.

jacobolus

10 Apr 2016, 19:55

“Bigfoot” is a made up community name. It means whatever someone wants it to mean.

I could imagine the term only including Alps-made AT101 keyboards, per se, or Japanese boards with exactly the same plastic shell such as the Japanese layout boards for Mitsubishi and Xerox from halfway down this page http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~silencium/k ... ml/ax.html.

I could also imagine it including other extended-layout keyboards from Alps, such as Apple M0115, Wang 725-3770, Zenith ZKB-2, the Sharp keyboard at the top of that link, or even various terminal boards.

I can certainly imagine someone lumping the Silitek-made Dell AT101 and AT101W along with those made directly by Alps.

jacobolus

10 Apr 2016, 20:02

Sankart wrote: I never looked into Gateron, since I don't want to support the way they achieve their prices.
Which way is that?

Sankart

11 Apr 2016, 03:34

Afaik even switches of a single batch can differ a lot, I don't like that. Especially the springs are slightly differently weigthed in basically every switch. Maybe I'm a bit too negative about them, but I think the problems with Zealios R1 tell a lot about their QC.

pr0ximity

11 Apr 2016, 04:32

Sankart wrote: Afaik even switches of a single batch can differ a lot, I don't like that. Especially the springs are slightly differently weigthed in basically every switch. Maybe I'm a bit too negative about them, but I think the problems with Zealios R1 tell a lot about their QC.
Yup, though they are very smooth, which I believe is achieved through a softer plastic than Cherry's (for a while there were lots of reports of broken stems as well). I have a Filco with 62g modded Gateron Blacks and they do feel much nicer than the modern Reds which were originally in it. I believe they have copper contacts which might be more susceptible to oxidation?

cookie

11 Apr 2016, 11:12

I've done that already and I loved the result but the whole Keyboard was way to huge for my taste.
A bit of lube made them even better but the effect wore off quite fast due to cheap lube. Krytox would have lasted longer but who on earth would lube black Alps right?
Sankart wrote: I never looked into Gateron, since I don't want to support the way they achieve their prices.
Sir, I highly support you on that, even if they were very decent, they still would be MX replicas.
Producing a switch with an MX cap compatibility is one thing but counterfeiting is a whole different story.
I know I know, the patent has probably expired but it still is bad taste.

andrewjoy

11 Apr 2016, 11:39

The sad thing is at least in the plastics area gateron has cherry licked , if you let the quality of your product slip to the extent that the knock offs are superior you deserve to have your product ripped off.

This is an awesome idea by the way, i will soon have 2 SGI bigfoots on the way , very tempted to make one liner . I have a bag of black linearised i made from an old dell i got for a few quid for spare alps caps.

klikkyklik

11 Apr 2016, 15:39

Subjectivity alert: a while back I'd linearized an AT101W, and really disliked the feeling. My experience was they they are much scratchier than Alps green or Cherry MX red, but worse, felt kind of mushy and "lifeless." When disassembling the switches, they did not appear to be dirty, and every single switch is relatively scratchy when compared to the other two switches I'd mentioned. I'll eventually be returning the leafs, but modified to click so I can enjoy the board once again.

Chyros

11 Apr 2016, 16:21

klikkyklik wrote: Subjectivity alert: a while back I'd linearized an AT101W, and really disliked the feeling. My experience was they they are much scratchier than Alps green or Cherry MX red, but worse, felt kind of mushy and "lifeless." When disassembling the switches, they did not appear to be dirty, and every single switch is relatively scratchy when compared to the other two switches I'd mentioned. I'll eventually be returning the leafs, but modified to click so I can enjoy the board once again.
Really? Mine feels just as smooth as greens Oo . No scratchiness or mushiness at all.

The feeling isn't quite the same, though, as I mentioned in the video. Specifically, while green Alps feel like you're pushing the caps trough soft butter, these black linears feel like you're pushing it through nothing at all. Still smooth as fuck though :) .

andrewjoy

11 Apr 2016, 16:24

Every time i think of that butter segment in one of your vids i smile. I know the feeling , some of the more exotic and high quality switches feel like your fingers are floating on air, super smooth. Like beamspring that make model F's feel like they have sand in them. mmmmm oh yeh!

cookie

11 Apr 2016, 16:30

andrewjoy wrote: The sad thing is at least in the plastics area gateron has cherry licked , if you let the quality of your product slip to the extent that the knock offs are superior you deserve to have your product ripped off.
Outch... but it is still a controversial move :(

andrewjoy

11 Apr 2016, 16:36

cookie wrote:
andrewjoy wrote: The sad thing is at least in the plastics area gateron has cherry licked , if you let the quality of your product slip to the extent that the knock offs are superior you deserve to have your product ripped off.
Outch... but it is still a controversial move :(
It is a bit of a grey area , but my statement holds true , sort your shit out cherry.

cookie

11 Apr 2016, 16:43

As much as I like vintage blacks, I've never noticed that much difference in newer cherry switches. Well I'm out of cherry land since 3 years now.

Is it really that bad?
I have doubts :/

andrewjoy

11 Apr 2016, 16:55

Its terrible , it honestly is. Even stuff from a few years ago is much better, i have a MX 6.0 and the reds in that are almost tactile they are that scratchy , but some nothing special blacks from early to mid 2000s are fine , they are no vintage backs but they are far far better than the stuff from the last few years, ( they are not even used ( that improves cherry switches a ton) they are NIB). even my filco from about 2010 is way better than the reds in the 6.0, something bad is going down in there plastics fab , something not good.

klikkyklik

11 Apr 2016, 17:10

Chyros wrote:
klikkyklik wrote: Subjectivity alert: a while back I'd linearized an AT101W, and really disliked the feeling. My experience was they they are much scratchier than Alps green or Cherry MX red, but worse, felt kind of mushy and "lifeless." When disassembling the switches, they did not appear to be dirty, and every single switch is relatively scratchy when compared to the other two switches I'd mentioned. I'll eventually be returning the leafs, but modified to click so I can enjoy the board once again.
Really? Mine feels just as smooth as greens Oo . No scratchiness or mushiness at all.

The feeling isn't quite the same, though, as I mentioned in the video. Specifically, while green Alps feel like you're pushing the caps trough soft butter, these black linears feel like you're pushing it through nothing at all. Still smooth as fuck though :) .
I'm thinking perhaps some lube is in order when the leafs go back in. :)

Chyros

11 Apr 2016, 17:20

klikkyklik wrote:
Chyros wrote:

I'm thinking perhaps some lube is in order when the leafs go back in. :)
I don't know tbh, I've had mixed results with lube in the past. Old Alps came with a dry type of lube we have yet to identify - and unfortunately dry lube isn't as forthcoming as liquid ones. Some switches I lubed are actually worse off now than they were before.

bubblebobbler

12 Apr 2016, 20:43

andrewjoy wrote: Its terrible , it honestly is. Even stuff from a few years ago is much better, i have a MX 6.0 and the reds in that are almost tactile they are that scratchy , but some nothing special blacks from early to mid 2000s are fine , they are no vintage backs but they are far far better than the stuff from the last few years, ( they are not even used ( that improves cherry switches a ton) they are NIB). even my filco from about 2010 is way better than the reds in the 6.0, something bad is going down in there plastics fab , something not good.

(I'm not asking you specifically, but you were the last to talk about it) Is there a good thread to further talk about cherry MX vs MX 'clone' alternatives? I find it (and switch technologies in general) a very interesting topic and a search returned fruitless

knaxwvc

15 May 2016, 21:46

watched this vid few weeks ago and ..just made my "csk 2101n" into non click non tactile switches..(I know this is prob not a good idea...after all my board is not really an ALPS )..
and afterward i used some O-RING to damp the sound of the bottoming...and. it is really not so satisfying...
the shortening of the keystroke travel distance really bother me a lot..it now feels like a really really really really stiff rubber dome .. so I guess I will take out the O-ring and find some other ways to damped the sound ..maybe this time I will placed the ring inside the switches ...not on top of them.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

15 May 2016, 22:08

knaxwvc wrote: watched this vid few weeks ago and ..just made my "csk 2101n" into non click non tactile switches..(I know this is prob not a good idea...after all my board is not really an ALPS )..
and afterward i used some O-RING to damp the sound of the bottoming...and. it is really not so satisfying...
the shortening of the keystroke travel distance really bother me a lot..it now feels like a really really really really stiff rubber dome .. so I guess I will take out the O-ring and find some other ways to damped the sound ..maybe this time I will placed the ring inside the switches ...not on top of them.
What you are searching is an AEKII. ;)

knaxwvc

16 May 2016, 08:24

What you are searching is an AEKII. ;)[/quote]
as per my understanding that AEKII are for mac?? is it ? I am a PC only guy...poooooorly managed one..
it's just for my own typing pleasure not for any productive activities ,so I think I best kept this as econ as possible...
meaning I don't think I can spend anymore on any other boards , no matter how great they are... :?
still BIG THANKS for the tip.

Return to “Reviews”