"Santa GH60" HHKB Layout Gateron Switches DIY or Assembled Keyboard

Hypersphere

17 Jul 2016, 20:34

"Santa GH60" Gateron HHKB Layout Gateron Yellow White LED Keyboard

THE LISTING
Recently, I stumbled upon an intriguing eBay listing:

HHKB Mechanical Keyboard DIY Kit Customized Set SANTA GH60 PCB+Gateron Switch
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HHKB-Mechanical ... SwQaJXQvsa

The current price for the kit is $127 and for a fee of $10, you can get the keyboard fully assembled with choices from 7 options for Gateron switches, 7 options for LEDs, and 2 options (black or white) for case color. The default layout is HHKB Pro 2 with white lasered PBT keycaps to match. However, the keyboard is completely programmable. Moreover, shipping from Hong Kong is free.

REASONS FOR BUYING
This listing caught my attention for several reasons. My favorite form factor is 60%, my favorite layout is HHKB, and although my least favorite switches have been Cherry mx and clones, I had been hearing good things about Gateron Yellow switches. Deciding that the price was right for taking a risk, I placed my order -- black case, yellow Gateron switches, white LEDS, and HHKB Pro 2 layout. I also went for the fully assembled version -- for $10, this seemed well worth it.

The advertised name of the completely programmable PCB is "Santa" GH60. This turns out to be incorrect. "Santa" is of course a perfect anagram with "Satan". I do not know, but it could be that the typo was an intentional ploy to overcome the negative associations with the unfortunate actual name of the "Satan GH60" PCB.

ARRIVAL
The keyboard arrived much sooner than I had expected. Although the packaging left something to be desired, several keycaps had detached from their switches, and the screw-in aluminum feet were loose, no damage was done, and I soon had the board up and running.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Cons
My first impressions were somewhat negative for several small reasons:

-- Initially, I thought that the top layer of the plastic sandwich case had been marred with tool marks, but I discovered that the apparent blemishes were readily removed by a light scrub with 70% (v/v) isopropyl alcohol.

-- The aluminum feet look great, but they do not elevate the keyboard enough for me. I left them in place, but I installed self-adhesive conical feet (0.75 inches high) next to the aluminum ones. The keyboard lacked front feet, and so I installed self-adhesive small round silicone bumpers on the front corners on the underside of the board.

-- Although the keycaps felt okay, and it was a nice touch to have the exact HHKB legends (plus additional ones for the LED controls), I did not like the appearance of the lasered legends. I initially replaced the caps with two sets from Originative: Classic Black dye-sub thick PBT for the modifiers and spacebar; and the Hangul 60% dye-sub thick PBT for alphanumerics. However, although the Hangul set is attractive, the Hangul sub-legends look at bit too busy for a 60% board, so I replaced these with a plain Gateron dye-sub PBT set.

-- Usually I would not use the LEDs, but they could be useful when working in a darkened room. They look okay, except for the LED in the spacebar. The spacebar switch has been reversed, so that the LED is facing the front instead of the rear. This results in too much light from under the spacebar, which I found distracting. I will probably cover the spacebar LED with black electrical tape.

-- The most serious problem for me was the rattly stabilizers -- just about the worst stabilizer noise I had ever encountered in a keyboard. Fortunately, I was able to eliminate the rattle through a combination of keycap replacement, lubing the stabilizers with Superlube grease, putting self-adhesive rubber foam strips inside the spacebar, and installing a red O-ring on the central stem of the spacebar.

Pros
-- On the positive side, the pre-programmed HHKB layout worked exactly as advertised. In addition, the LED controls worked just fine. I am not a fan of backlighting, but it can actually be useful when using a keyboard in dim lighting conditions.

-- An unexpected plus was my positive reaction to the Gateron Yellow switches. This came as quite a surprise, as I have never liked Cherry mx switches or their clones.

The click of the clicky Cherry mx switches seemed like an irritating artificial add-on. The "tactile bump" of the tactile switches was simply a cam grafted onto the switch stem that had nothing to do with the actuation mechanism; moreover, browns felt gritty and clears had a fatiguing bottoming-out force. The best Cherries for me were the linears, but blacks were too heavy and reds were too light; in addition, the reds felt a bit scratchy.

In marked contrast to any Cherry mx switch I had tried, Gateron Yellows felt just about right -- they have an actuation force of 50g - 55g (about the same as Gateron Blacks but lighter than Cherry Blacks at 60g - 65g), but their bottoming-out force of ~65g is less than that of Gateron Blacks (~70g) or Cherry Blacks ~80g. There is confusion about this, because apparently there was an earlier version of Gateron Yellow that had a very high bottoming-out force -- these were dubbed "Super Blacks", which were very different from the current generation of Gateron Yellows.

In addition to their ideal weight (for me), Gateron Yellow switches are extremely smooth -- attributed at least in part to factory lubing.

There is a good discussion of Gateron Yellow switches at the following site:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... h_science/?

OVERALL CONCLUSIONS
Despite the shortcomings listed above, I highly recommend this keyboard. It is especially good for those who like the HHKB layout, but even for those who prefer other configurations, this board is completely programmable. In addition, for backlighting enthusiasts or those who work in the dark, the board has controllable LEDs. Finally, Gateron switches provide compatibility with the universe of Cherry-mount keycaps, and the Gateron Yellows that I chose have made me a convert to this switch.

Because I bottom-out my keystrokes, the click that this makes provides sufficient auditory feedback for me. I thoroughly enjoy like the sound and feel of this keyboard, which I attribute to a combination of the plastic sandwich construction, thick PBT keycaps, and the Gateron Yellow switches. Moreover, my typing speed and accuracy on this keyboard are at the level of my personal best for any keyboard.

By the way, I would add that the Classic Black dye-sub PBT keycap set from Originative is a perfect profile match with their dye-sub PBT Hangul set or the dye-sub PBT Gateron set that I ultimately used. The Classic Black is one of the few sets that includes extras such as a 7.0x Spacebar, 1.75x Right Shift, and 1.0x Fn key to occupy the space next to the short Right Shift.

Although I was able to eliminate most of the stabilizer rattle from the three stabilized keys (Enter/Return, Left Shift, and Spacebar), I would like to see keyboard designs that obviate the need for stabilizers altogether while preserving as much as possible the standard layout and staggering. As least for me, I would be fine with a Backspace key of 1.25x - 1.50x, shift keys between 1.25x and 1.75x, Enter/Return key of 1.25x - 1.75x, and a short Spacebar. The Spacebar might have to be doubled -- perhaps two 1.75x keys near the center of the keyboard.

Shown below are two pics of the keyboard:

Close-up of the Gateron dye-sub PBT keycaps, Gateron Yellow Clear-Top switches with White LEDs.
sa_gh60_hh_gateron_yellow.jpg
sa_gh60_hh_gateron_yellow.jpg (163.7 KiB) Viewed 7875 times
Note that the white Gateron PBT caps are sufficiently thick and/or dense that they do not allow the LED light to shine through. Similarly, light does not penetrate the Originative black PBT keycaps. Incidentally, I tried some white Ducky PBT caps, and these did allow some light transmission.

View of keyboard showing the HHKB layout.
sa_gh60_hh_right.jpg
sa_gh60_hh_right.jpg (145.32 KiB) Viewed 7875 times
Apart from the Backtick/Tilde, Tab, Enter/Return, Left Shift, Right Shift, and Fn keys, the legends on the Originative caps do not match the HHKB layout. However, this is not noticeable in dim light. For those who prefer the correct legends, these are provided on the white lasered PBT caps that come with the keyboard.

Morgan

21 Jul 2016, 04:01

Looks very nice keyboard.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

21 Jul 2016, 08:49

Thanks a lot for the sweet review. This really looks like a nice offering to me. Does the plate allow opening of the switches for a little modding?

Khers

21 Jul 2016, 09:12

Looking at the second pic in the ebay listing, I'd guess no. Besides, LEDs seem soldered in (at least there is no mention of SIP-sockets) so it would be a little pointless. However, if you want to mod your switches, just order it without assembly.

BimboBB

21 Jul 2016, 09:51

Nice board!

Btw, whats the difference between "Satan GH60" and the normal GH60 pcb?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

21 Jul 2016, 10:00

The Satan GH60 is a Chinese clone from one of the revisions of the public GH60 designs. If you are using TMK firmware for the SATAN GH60 you will need some changes to the original GH60 project. There's some small differences.

Jack from OLKB added a SATAN folder to his TMK branch:
https://github.com/jackhumbert/qmk_firm ... /keyboards

Those SATAN GH60 clones are DEAD cheap. I got five complete sets (case+plate+pcb+stabs) for ~60€ each from this GB:
group-buys-f50/60-ver-china-pcb-plate-a ... 12996.html

Laser
emacs -nw

21 Jul 2016, 14:15

There's also this (BTW, I wonder which one would be "best"): https://github.com/Aqoush/qmk-satan-rgb

Hypersphere

21 Jul 2016, 14:26

@Wodan: I have not tried opening the switches, but I think that the LEDs are soldered in, so that it would require desoldering before being able to open the switches. However, you could order the unassembled kit or presumably order it without LEDs.

Update: Here is a pic of a selection of the lasered PBT keycaps that were included with the SA60HH keyboard:
SA60HH_caps.jpg
SA60HH_caps.jpg (304.36 KiB) Viewed 7677 times
They are OEM profile and have a similar thickness (~ 1.5 mm) and texture as Gateron PBT caps. They are not as rough as Keycool PBT caps that I have tried or as smooth as Ducky PBT caps. The lasered legends result in a palpable roughness in the area of the legend on some, but not all, of the caps. Unlike the Gateron caps, the stock caps transmit some light, making the legends visible with the white LEDs.

Note that the legends mimic those of the HHKB Pro 2, including the front legends. There are also some extra front legends, such as those describing the LED controls on the Z-row. Of course, don't expect the excellent fit and finish of the dye-sublimated PBT caps that come with an actual HHKB Pro 2, but the stock caps on the SA60HH get the job done for those who want the top and front infomation of the HHKB layout printed on the caps.

Laser
emacs -nw

21 Jul 2016, 22:30

Those keycaps - they seem to be these ones: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arri ... 43821.html

I ordered a black set today, since I have a blue plate matching exactly that hhkb profile (7u spacebar etc.)

Thanks for the picture, I didn't know how thick they are :)

Spoiler:
blue_gh60_hhkb.jpg
blue_gh60_hhkb.jpg (465.52 KiB) Viewed 7663 times

Hypersphere

21 Jul 2016, 22:51

@Laser: Yes, looks like the same keycaps. BTW, have you had no problems ordering from AliExpress? I occasionally see things on that site that I have considered buying, but I have been reluctant because they do not accept PayPal. I generally do my online purchasing with PayPal.

Laser
emacs -nw

21 Jul 2016, 23:00

@Hypersphere - I use a credit card which I usually load only with the right amount (or a little more), and only before a purchase. So far I ordered only cheap stuff from them, and didn't encounter any problem.

Talking about interesting stuff: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Top-prin ... 51891.html

ideus

22 Jul 2016, 02:04

Wodan wrote: The Satan GH60 is a Chinese clone from one of the revisions of the public GH60 designs. If you are using TMK firmware for the SATAN GH60 you will need some changes to the original GH60 project. There's some small differences.

Jack from OLKB added a SATAN folder to his TMK branch:
https://github.com/jackhumbert/qmk_firm ... /keyboards

Those SATAN GH60 clones are DEAD cheap. I got five complete sets (case+plate+pcb+stabs) for ~60€ each from this GB:
group-buys-f50/60-ver-china-pcb-plate-a ... 12996.html
Just for the record, the following is a note on the Satan by jdcarpe at GH, jd is one of the main designers and leaders of the GH60 project:

"And FWIW, the Satan PCB is not a GH60 at all. It's just a Chinese 60% which likes to use the "GH60" moniker for marketing purposes."

Wodan
ISO Advocate

22 Jul 2016, 08:33

Meeeh I hope I find the time soon to build some of the SATAN 60 boards I bought. They've been laying around here forever ...

On the other hand, I don't have a genuine GH60 board ... maybe I should order one from Falbatach just to see the difference :)

How many 60% keyboards are you legally allowed to own?

Hypersphere

22 Jul 2016, 15:18

Next, I would like to build my own 60%, preferably using an Alps64 PCB and blue Alps switches. Depending on availability of plates, stabilizers, stabilizer mounts, and keycaps, I would like to have a HHKB layout, including the split Backspace and split Right Shift. It would also be good to have a 6.00x spacebar. Suggestions welcome on how to source all the necessary parts.

emdude
Model M Apologist

22 Jul 2016, 21:05

AFAIK, the only key set to have had 6u space bars is Alpine Winter.

EDIT: This looks to have a 6u space bar: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Good-working-Ad ... SwyvBV-Kc4

EDIT 2: Apparently you can get some at Pimp My Keyboard in DSA or DCS profiles:

http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dcs-alps-moun ... pack-of-1/
http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-alps-moun ... pack-of-1/

Hypersphere

22 Jul 2016, 22:21

@emdude: Thanks for the links to 6.0x Alps-mount spacebars.

I am also open to other sizes of spacebars and various configurations of bottom-row modifiers. I could even dispense with the split Right Shift and split Backspace. For example, on standard-layout keyboards, I use the Right Control as the HHKB Fn key and remap the Backslash as Backspace, etc., and this works fairly well. For me, the main things for the custom Alps board are to have blue Alps switches, correctly fitting stabilizers, and easily sourced keycaps.

emdude
Model M Apologist

22 Jul 2016, 22:35

I don't think you'll need to abandon the split right shift nor split backspace, since both were common features of layouts typically used by vintage Alps boards, particularly Focus boards for the former. If you don't mind ABS, you could just harvest key caps from those keyboards.

Hypersphere

23 Jul 2016, 02:03

@emdude: Thanks for the reassuring words. These solutions could indeed work, although I am hoping to have a consistent look on the finished keyboard. My preference would be blank black modifiers and spacebar with white printed dye-sub PBT alphanumeric keys.

UPDATE: Here is a link to my review of a newer version mx HHKB:

review-f45/custom-mx-hhkb-w-gateron-gre ... ml#p370192

I got this one with a black aluminum plate, Gateron green switches, White/Red lasered keycaps, and no LEDs. The switches can be opened w/o desoldering. When I ordered, I was thinking I might want to install lighter springs, but the Gateron Greens feel just about right thus far.
mx-hhkb-rt1.png
mx-hhkb-rt1.png (620.58 KiB) Viewed 5642 times

Return to “Reviews”