My AZIO Retro keyboard.

whm1974

03 Mar 2017, 02:29

OK I've been playing with this since noon. It feels great like a solid keyboard and very comfortable to type on. I did the nickle test and it comes out at 10 nickles, so around ~50 grams? So far so I like it much better then my 4 year old SolidTek 6600C I was using. I'll post more as I use it. Here are some pics, enjoy:

whm1974

03 Mar 2017, 21:25

OK I been using this for a day now and here are some things I noticed:

The keycaps are easy to remove without a key puller. I'm not sure is this good or bad.

The key presses are lighter and more comfortable then the SolidTek 6600C I was using. This alone is worth buying this.
They are also easy to spam as well. The box says blue switches.

The height of the keyboard laying flat is higher then normal. This I like due to forcing me to keep my wrist raised. I'll need to get a wrist rest later.

Noisier then my previous keyboard. But it doesn't bother me, even with my hearing aids on.

Overall: So far I really like this keyboard. however it is a very different experience. Some folks may like it while others might not.

Daniel Beardsmore

03 Mar 2017, 21:57

The funny thing is, typewriters are the original sub-60% keyboards, yet this keyboard is full-size. A few years back I would be glad to see continued investment in full-size, but I would never go with another full-size keyboard again. (My home keyboard is indeed full-size, but TKL is the furthest I'd go in replacing it as the mouse is just so far away — 75% would be preferable, possibly uniform profile to allow keycap swapping as I don't care for most 75% key assignments and having the wrong keycaps would hinder my addled brain in trying to remember where the wretched keys are.)

Whether I'd actually go with that AZiO is another matter — it does look very nice, and being a production product they've improved the aesthetics over the limitations of ad-hoc work (as in, seeing the original switches under the keycaps) but it's a bit too blingy for me.

I'm curious who the OEM is. Some of their keyboards are/were made by Tai-Hao.

whm1974

03 Mar 2017, 22:37

To bad something like this wasn't around back when I built my current rig almost four years ago. For what the SolidTek 6600C sells for now($90) there are much better keyboards for that price.

I was thinking of getting a TKL but but they don't make this in TKL(yet?).

zslane

03 Mar 2017, 22:43

If it's the keycaps and switches that you really like, you can always put those keycaps on any 60% or TKL board with MX blues.

I did that with Datamancer's Penhurst keycaps and a Vortex Pok3r:

whm1974

03 Mar 2017, 22:50

Yeah but that will cost me more then the Retro did. And besides, I don't think I can live without 87 keys.

zslane

03 Mar 2017, 23:01

Normally I can't live without a full-size board, but for my iPad only a 60% board is suitable (or necessary). My Penhurst Pok3r is strictly an iPad-only input device.

Daniel Beardsmore

03 Mar 2017, 23:01

The AZiO is an interesting blend of old and new that I like — modern minimalistic aesthetics applied to old designs. Also, that Datamancer/Pok3r combination has glaringly obvious switches, which AZiO have managed to avoid.

For me, wood is good for furniture but for equipment I prefer metal. With my Poker II there's no sense in wasting the money on a metal case as you can barely see the case anyway. A metal mouse would be interesting though …

zslane

03 Mar 2017, 23:06

I guess it would be better if MX blues had black sliders, but I don't mind the slight touch of blue here, which complements the cream and brown tones nicely. Besides, when I'm typing I don't see the switches (I don't generally see the keycaps either for that matter). And I just love how the wood case gives the keyboard a beautiful, organic, old-world aesthetic.

Having said that, I don't like wood as a keyboard material as a general rule either. This is the only exception (and maybe Datamancer's Sojourner keyboard).

whm1974

04 Mar 2017, 02:31

For those who care, the extra functions do work in Linux. However Linux users may have to remap some of them.

whm1974

08 Mar 2017, 17:56

Sorry I haven't posted more my review, but I've been sort of busy and I sort of forgot about this thread. Sorry about that.

I'm putting in some effort to notice the little things that can "make or break" a keyboard for users. what are some things for to look for?

The keystrokes do produce a nice clacking sound when typing. I for one love this as I feel this does improve my typing. But as always you mileage may vary.

The key presses feel lighter and less tiring the the white Alps clones my previous board were using.

Anything more you guys want me to post about this keyboard?

belowgeek

08 Mar 2017, 18:20

Reminds me of those old typewriters my grandfather used back then. How much does this cost, by the way?

whm1974

08 Mar 2017, 20:37

belowgeek wrote: Reminds me of those old typewriters my grandfather used back then. How much does this cost, by the way?
About a $106. I got my at Newegg.

Elrick

06 Apr 2017, 09:19

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: The AZiO is an interesting blend of old and new that I like — modern minimalistic aesthetics applied to old designs. Also, that Datamancer/Pok3r combination has glaringly obvious switches, which AZiO have managed to avoid.
Actually love the way it looks, so I ordered an all White version which is available here in Convict Town.

If you can't afford a Datamancer then get this, way cheaper plus it looks better built. Even though it's entirely made out of ABS, just my guess in regards to it's plastic type.

whm1974

28 Apr 2017, 18:36

One of the things I like about this keyboard is it is easy to keep clean.

Return to “Reviews”