Logitech G413 Carbon review (Romer-G)

Chyros

06 Jan 2018, 09:40

For the first review of the year, I'm tackling one of the biggest requests I've had since the beginning; a Logitech Romer-G keyboard! Hope you enjoy the video :) .

Daniel Beardsmore

06 Jan 2018, 12:39

Well …

I like MX Red and MX Brown, but I think I'd do better with something a little heaver and a bit more tactile than Red (not heavily tactile, but not perfectly linear either), which is one reason why Romer-G looks interesting. Also, Cherry MX switches do sound tinny when plate-mounted — it seems that the dampers within Romer-G don't give you silence but they cut out all the high-frequency sounds, which for me is actually far better than a quiet switch. Getting 100% keycap illumination coverage from an LED isn't easy and there's only so much that you can do, for which Romer-G seems to do enough.

What I did notice is that the Corsair has very visible PWM — I don't know if that's because it's worse, or because the frequency just gets tangled up wit the camera.

What do all the screws on the top of that keyboard (in between the switches) do?

Starck

06 Jan 2018, 13:38

The quiet typing sound was a big plus for the office environment where this keyboard was used shortly. The keyfeel ruined it for me.

Daniel

06 Jan 2018, 16:03

Thanks for your review. Classic example of setting the wrong priorities during product development in my opinion. What I like is the backup contact inside the switch. Would be interesting if they remove it in the future to save some money like they apparently did with the LED lens.

Daniel Beardsmore

06 Jan 2018, 16:41

I have the newer black switch (B3K-T13L2) with the lens — maybe they feel it's not needed for monochrome LED, but preserve it for RGB?

Chyros

06 Jan 2018, 23:16

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: I have the newer black switch (B3K-T13L2) with the lens — maybe they feel it's not needed for monochrome LED, but preserve it for RGB?
This was my guess as well, as light bundling is not an issue for primary colours. However, this is pure speculation on my part.

I'm not sure what you mean by PWM, but in the flesh the board doesn't exhibit flickering or anything like that. The RGB version doesn't do it on camera either, I demonstrated that during my Ajazz video.

Daniel Beardsmore

07 Jan 2018, 01:59

pulse width modulation -- brightness control by changing the LED duty cycle, creating flicker in the process. The percentage of each cycle that the LED is switched on sets the brightness.

Elrick

07 Jan 2018, 04:15

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Getting 100% keycap illumination coverage from an LED isn't easy and there's only so much that you can do, for which Romer-G seems to do enough.
That is the ONLY positive about these switches and have the earliest model of their G810, fine but not brilliant for general usage and I didn't fall in love with it at all.

Although I did buy (two weeks back) a brand new updated version of the G810 for one of my minion's and she said it feels slightly different when typing, compared to my older version.

Suspect Logitech has updated their Romer-G mechanism but which part of it, is another 'mystery' released by them.

IzumiKonata

09 Aug 2018, 23:03

Elrick wrote:
Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Getting 100% keycap illumination coverage from an LED isn't easy and there's only so much that you can do, for which Romer-G seems to do enough.
That is the ONLY positive about these switches and have the earliest model of their G810, fine but not brilliant for general usage and I didn't fall in love with it at all.

Although I did buy (two weeks back) a brand new updated version of the G810 for one of my minion's and she said it feels slightly different when typing, compared to my older version.

Suspect Logitech has updated their Romer-G mechanism but which part of it, is another 'mystery' released by them.
I had issue with my G810 then I received a really old G810 from Logitech with Blue romer-G switches as replacement...I can tell you the blue ones feels much worse than the newer black ones.... Since I have both now

Elrick

10 Aug 2018, 06:58

IzumiKonata wrote: I can tell you the blue ones feels much worse than the newer black ones.... Since I have both now
The NEWer black Romer-Gs are way more TACTILE (you hear that Zealio addicts) than anything else but it fails to deliver that ultimate Tactility, like the BOX Royals which happen to be my very fave "Tactile" switch.

Although being from Kailh do expect massive 'Gape' of any SP, GMK or BSP key-sets so you've been warned :( .

rebsky

10 Aug 2018, 08:34

I like the simplicity of it not too much fancy it's cool.

Return to “Reviews”