Tellervision GP101 keyboard review (Alps SKBM White)

Chyros

22 Feb 2020, 10:58

This week we're looking at a horrible piece of shit. This is a prime example of one of those specialty keyboards that just DO NOT WORK outside their intended use, and frankly, I have difficulty seeing how it'd be useful at that as well. Hope you enjoy the video! :)

kelvinhall05

22 Feb 2020, 14:08

Heh, if only the top and bottom were reversed...it would still be weird but not as awful to use.

sharktastica

22 Feb 2020, 18:52

If the top and bottom were two separate modules, this could be close to a neat design. Perhaps then compact the spacing between the touchpad and its buttons and put PrtSc, Numlock, and Pause/Break on top of its area, put keys for page back and forward where Alt and Ctrl are on the nav, and "un-fuck" the bottom of the alphanumeric part with a standard 104/105-like bottom row.

One potential application of such a design in my mind would be using the bottom module as a compact number-cruncher keypad that could still allow me to do GUI stuff thanks to the touchpad and basic nav stuff without worrying about num lock thanks to the dedicated keys. The inclusion of F keys on the module would give you ample keys to put macros on too. I once experimented with something close to this with my 50-key Model M (using a trackball beside) for doing raw repetitive stat-related tasks in Excel that didn't require too much string inputting. But when you do need to type, just swap the modules around briefly.

depletedvespene

25 Feb 2020, 01:49

It's only now that I've seen the review, and I have to ask: when I saw the pictures of this thing, and considering the keyboard has a flat profile, I thought that obviously some keycaps had to have been swapped around, because many placements make no sense (Alt and Ctrl right on the arrow cluster being the #1 in the list of obviously obvious misplacements). But... you say you used it for a week... so...

Is that REALLY the actual logical layout of this keyboard?

Flammberger

26 Feb 2020, 12:30

I dont think this unit deserves the amount of hate. :o
Actually I'd realy love to have this keyboard for the PC that connects to my TV, which is mainly used for multimedia.

Putting Ctrl & Alt into the Nav Cluster + the position of the function keys right next to it, makes this layout realy great for gaming. <3
Moreover the cable has the right lenght to be used on the sofa. :D

It could also imagine to use this keyboard end of the month at work, when booking all the extra hours and stuff like that in SAP, where the database software can completely be controlled by the F-Keys and the numpad is your second best friend.

I dont expect Thomas to sell this, as it suits his collection very well. But in case someone else has such a keyboard and wants to sell or trade it, feel free to get in contact. :D

kelvinhall05

26 Feb 2020, 15:02

Flammberger wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 12:30
I dont think this unit deserves the amount of hate. :o
Actually I'd realy love to have this keyboard for the PC that connects to my TV, which is mainly used for multimedia.

Putting Ctrl & Alt into the Nav Cluster + the position of the function keys right next to it, makes this layout realy great for gaming. <3
Moreover the cable has the right lenght to be used on the sofa. :D

It could also imagine to use this keyboard end of the month at work, when booking all the extra hours and stuff like that in SAP, where the database software can completely be controlled by the F-Keys and the numpad is your second best friend.

I dont expect Thomas to sell this, as it suits his collection very well. But in case someone else has such a keyboard and wants to sell or trade it, feel free to get in contact. :D
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183809765164

I've sent him an offer and he'll take like $120, maybe less. It's been for sale forever.

Return to “Reviews”