Keyboard: Clarity Juniper and Seaweed Aromatherapy Hand Wash
Switch brand: Roma?
Type: Linear, analogue
Sense method: Hydraulic
Total travel = 12mm
Actuation point = 1mm
Actuation force = 1200g (!!)
Keycaps = N/A

As reflects the low purchase price, the keyboard case is a PET plastic bottle which does not provide a premium build quality, and I am able to flex the casing by hand. It appears to have been made by 'Roma', as evidenced by a moulding on the base. The transparent design is attractive enough, but rather disappointingly Clarity have not capitalised on this and incorporated backlighting. I therefore suspect Basinthority readers will be more interested in the switch characteristics described below.

The designers have eschewed traditional metal contacts in favour of a unique hydraulic sensing mechanism and this, coupled with the viscosity of the soap, dampen travel and make this switch feel somewhat 'fluid' in operation. Switch life is not stated although older ones can have a certain amount of stiction. The benefit of the hydraulic mechanism is the analogue output, which would perhaps be of benefit to gamers, who might also be interested in the high actuation point. However the actuation force is significantly higher than other switches on the market and this would count against gaming as would the long overall travel. I suggest such a force would be more appropriate on a spacebar than the normal keys. Interestingly, the designers seem to have also considered its application in lock keys, as there is a thread on the plunger that can screw into the body of the switch to secure it in the fully depressed position, allowing the user to emulate 'alternate action' types.

The keycap is integral to the switch plunger which limits the opportunity for customisation. Nonetheless it has a nice sculpted shape which fits the thumb nicely in this application.
Attachments
IMG_0463.jpeg
IMG_0463.jpeg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 3201 times
IMG_0462.jpeg
IMG_0462.jpeg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 3201 times
IMG_0461.jpeg
IMG_0461.jpeg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 3201 times

Findecanor

06 Apr 2020, 17:05

You posted that five days too late. ;)

squizzler

06 Apr 2020, 17:20

I realised that but, frustratingly, it only occurred to me today!

Stay safe everyone.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

06 Apr 2020, 17:47

Can I get a closeup of the pump head actuator mechanism? I'm trying to source some replacement parts for my unbranded "Mango Dreams" scented model.

squizzler

06 Apr 2020, 19:29

Grr, I had intended to include such a picture but the phone 'back-focussed' on the work surface!

Return to “Reviews”