Keychron K8 review (Gateron KS-22 optical)

Chyros

19 Oct 2023, 23:41

Today we look at a very interesting offering from Keychron; the K8, their optical keyboard model! These switches are supremely interesting, and the K series has been requested a lot previously, so I hope you enjoy the video! :)

Muirium
µ

20 Oct 2023, 10:27

Certainly more interesting than it looks on first glance. That price has me willing to overlook several daft choices (funky function row—the horizontal alignment is as annoying to me as the vertical one is for you—and a side mounted USB port!?) and the caps would come straight off for Round 5 or dev/tty or even my Cherry dyesubs. But you had to go and pull out the blue Alps comparison. That sound is what clicky non-buckling spring keyboards should, must and do sound like for me. And it ain't quite there, is it?

These contactless switches are wee modules that can be hotswapped, as you show, but only with other compatible contactless modules? No MX / whatever support I’m guessing?

Any idea about the plate material in this version and its cheaper plastic rimless brother? I quite agree that rim's got to go.

Elrick

31 Oct 2023, 07:08

It never stops. Keychron.

When it rains variety, it storms down with this Manufacturer. They know what to offer here, VARIETY because most people out there want something a little different from their keyboard.

I'm personally addicted to this Manufacturer, particularly all their swap over switch based keyboards. Never bored having a choice with switches here. Something not allowed in 98% of Retail Keyboards (here in Convict Town).

Not a fan of "Contactless" really not applicable with my usage. I want to feel the switch under my fingers here, particularly the clicky types. There's this fake addiction to having everything contactless yet all the older contact switches are still working after 20 years.

Now I buy for the FEEL above all else, so that I can enjoy some decent typing whilst I'm still alive.

Chyros

01 Nov 2023, 11:10

Muirium wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 10:27
Certainly more interesting than it looks on first glance. That price has me willing to overlook several daft choices (funky function row—the horizontal alignment is as annoying to me as the vertical one is for you—and a side mounted USB port!?) and the caps would come straight off for Round 5 or dev/tty or even my Cherry dyesubs. But you had to go and pull out the blue Alps comparison. That sound is what clicky non-buckling spring keyboards should, must and do sound like for me. And it ain't quite there, is it?

These contactless switches are wee modules that can be hotswapped, as you show, but only with other compatible contactless modules? No MX / whatever support I’m guessing?

Any idea about the plate material in this version and its cheaper plastic rimless brother? I quite agree that rim's got to go.
Apparently the rim is just bolted on and if you take it off it's the same as the cheaper version. I don't have the board here right now so I can't check the plate material unfortunately. Indeed, no MX. And yeah, it doesn't sound the same as blue Alps. But then again, nothing modern ever will xD .

Muirium
µ

01 Nov 2023, 13:27

Chyros wrote:
And yeah, it doesn't sound the same as blue Alps. But then again, nothing modern ever will xD .
Aye, I know, that's just me in reverse salesman mode: making reasons *not* to buy this tempting board. ;)

I can live with different clicky switches, really; I’m having my first day ever with NEC blue ovals now. Variety is the spice of life, and the veteran's lasting temptation.

Chyros

01 Nov 2023, 22:37

Muirium wrote:
01 Nov 2023, 13:27
Chyros wrote:
And yeah, it doesn't sound the same as blue Alps. But then again, nothing modern ever will xD .
Aye, I know, that's just me in reverse salesman mode: making reasons *not* to buy this tempting board. ;)

I can live with different clicky switches, really; I’m having my first day ever with NEC blue ovals now. Variety is the spice of life, and the veteran's lasting temptation.
To be honest, I am hunkering for the day they make a good reproduction of a classic board with blue Alps. Not necessarily because of me, I've got enough boards that I'm set for life anyway. But I really want other people to be able to try the experience as well :) .

Return to “Reviews”