Rollermouse Free 2

Mrinterface

27 Jun 2012, 18:13

This review is from my rollermouse free 2 on an iMac with OSX

It will be a review with a few iterations : I need to get to know this thing a little bit better before my final judgement will be known.

Iteration 1 :
It came in the mail bubble wrapped. The original box had bubble wrap around it. Strange way of sending something expensive as this. But okay, the packing did its job, no damage to be found on the packing :
P1020319.JPG
P1020319.JPG (154.29 KiB) Viewed 8847 times
P1020320.JPG
P1020320.JPG (154.94 KiB) Viewed 8847 times
Upon opening the box, this was its contents :
P1020321.JPG
P1020321.JPG (128.71 KiB) Viewed 8847 times
The rollermouse, two stickers with the same markings as on the mouse, 2 small keyboard riser feet and 2 bigger keyboard riser feet.
The rod itself was safely secure with 2 orange foam cylinders. After removing those I could connect the mouse to my iMac.

Wow... This is different. The rollerbar is very very smooth. I was wondering how the end-switches would work on it, but now I know why it is only logical. I had to fumble with the DPI settings a bit in order to get a proper mouse speed. There is a cursor speed button that let's you set the speed in 5 increments. The following buttons are present : copy, paste, left click, right click, double click and of course the scroll wheel.
After installing the mac drivers, the buttons behaved differently -> the copy and paste button let's me switch from mac virtual screen to screen. Very nice. The mouse scroll wheel was set to a very very slow pace, I didn't like it at all and I could not find a way to set it properly in Mac OSX. Until I accidently pressed it and scrolled it : Presto! When pressed and scrolled it is a coarse scroller, without being pressed it's a fine one. At least they thought about it!

The wrist rest is very nice to use. I didn't use one before I got this, but now I will definitely keep using one.

The reason for the keyboard risers I still don't get : The risers are supposedly used to lever the FRONT of the keyboard in order to get a proper typing position. I am using the lowest setting on my filco TKL and am wondering what the tilt angle will bring on the longer term. The hind feet of the Filco are retracted so it has an angle opposite to what I am used to but hey, I am willing to try this for a few weeks and see what it gives.

At the moment I am using it the way I saw I would use it : with my right thumb I would steer the roller ( and keep my fingers on the home row!!!!! ) , with my left thumb I would press the buttons ( on the left side ) . The roller is clickable so either a single or double click is possible with it. You can set the click response of the rollerbar, I have it at a medium setting. I read that some people accidentally press the rollerbar on its lowest( most sensitive ) setting, but I tried this as well and it did not happen to me.

Iteration 2 :
After almost a week of use, I am sorry to say I actually developed RSI related problems.... My right wrist and right elbow started to hurt. Of course I wanted to quit the experiment/test immediately, but after some thought I decided to only remove the wrist rest since that is the only thing that really changed to my position with respect to the keyboard. I noticed that I 'float' my hands over the keyboard and my natural position is to NOT rest my palms on something. Once I do ( like with the rollermouse free 2 wristrest ) I run into problems. Well, at least it looks like this is the case. I am willing to try 1 more week, but this time without the wrist rest.
I am still using my regular apple mouse a lot. Since the rollermouse mousebar isn't really usable for dragging items on my desktop for longer distances ( I keep running into the endpoints ) I prefer using the regular mouse. Also simple tasks like selecting some larger chunks of text is hampered in this way. I also have a lot of issues with the endstops : I keep having the need to recalibrate the thing because I run into those endstops. I could enlarge the sensitivity but then my precision is seriously lowered. I guess I still need to find a way of adjusting to it.
My initial plan of using my right thumb for moving the rollermouse is still in place. It would be perfect if I could use it in that fashion. If I have to remove my whole right hand in order for me to move the mouse, I might as well keep using my regular mouse.
I also found out that the scrollwheel has a dual function. Once it is pressed, you can then use the mouse itself to go up or down. The more up/down you go the higher the scrollspeed becomes. If you press it again, this scroll mode is reset.

Iteration 3:
Iteration 3 setup : No wrist rest and cherry mx Black CMstorm quickfire with non reversed tilt
Iteration 3 setup : No wrist rest and cherry mx Black CMstorm quickfire with non reversed tilt
CMstorm_setup_rollermouse.jpg (203.79 KiB) Viewed 8500 times
Wait 1 week!

off

27 Jun 2012, 18:26

Grats!
Regarding the seemingly unnatural backward tilting of the keyboard; I've heard that that is more ergonomical, provided you do sit upright.
Doubleclicking on the bar is doable without actually moving the cursor (much)??

HzFaq

27 Jun 2012, 20:10

I'm contemplating either one of these or a trackball, my right wrist is shot to pieces. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.

I've also been using a negative tilt on my keyboard for the last few days, it does take a while to get used to but I'm finding it much more comfortable.

fossala
Elite +1

27 Jun 2012, 20:15

I have an L-Track X but I'm tempted by these.

Mrinterface

27 Jun 2012, 21:08

off wrote:
Doubleclicking on the bar is doable without actually moving the cursor (much)??
Yeps, takes some practice though.

wiredPANDA

28 Jun 2012, 20:24

Glad to see a review pop up for this. I've been contemplating picking one up to help with my RSI issues.

How has it been readjusting yourself for its use, opposed to a standard mouse? That was my one concern. I'm worried about my muscle memory getting in the way of using it effectively.

Mrinterface

28 Jun 2012, 20:29

No problem getting used to the layout/button positions. It took me a few hours, but I quickly adapted.

7bit

29 Jun 2012, 00:13

:shock: Wait! How comes you've got my 2nd RollerMouse? :shock:

Kurk

01 Jul 2012, 11:13

He Mrinterface, I see it didn't take you long to get a rollermouse :)
About the keyboard risers: They could be really necessary to allow for a smooth "connection" between the roller mouse and a low profile keyboard. Moreover, I think that keyboards should have front risers so the plane of typing can be level with the desk or even slope down. Much better for your wrists.

edit: did you consider the MouseTrapper Advance (another Scandinavian mouse replacement/complement)?
http://www.mousetrapper.se

edit edit: alright, I see you did
follow the link in off's post
Last edited by Kurk on 01 Jul 2012, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.

off

01 Jul 2012, 14:58

Why, funny you should mention that!

wiredPANDA

06 Jul 2012, 00:01

Another question (and I'm not sure if you can answer it), is the rollermouse any good in a multi-monitor setup? I run dual-screens at a minimum, and I can't find any reference to its use with multi-monitors.

Mrinterface

06 Jul 2012, 00:16

Well, if you set the sensitivity high enough, it will scroll from screen to screen, just like a mouse. That's all the PC/MAC sees : a mouse.

Input Nirvana

09 Jul 2012, 04:54

I love my Rollermouse Free 2. If it broke today, I'd get another one tomorrow.

Does your wistrest lay flat, or does it have a little warp and not click into the Free 2 easily?

Mrinterface

09 Jul 2012, 11:12

input nirvana wrote:I love my Rollermouse Free 2. If it broke today, I'd get another one tomorrow.

Does your wistrest lay flat, or does it have a little warp and not click into the Free 2 easily?
Updated OP

The wristrest lays flat and clicks easily into place. Why? Do you have an earlier version?

I'm thinking of sending this thing via a try before you buy ( sinklist ) thread together with the mousetrapper. I'm wondering how many people would be interested in participating....

Djuzuh

09 Jul 2012, 11:36

Mrinterface wrote:
input nirvana wrote:I love my Rollermouse Free 2. If it broke today, I'd get another one tomorrow.

Updated OP

The wristrest lays flat and clicks easily into place. Why? Do you have an earlier version?

I'm thinking of sending this thing via a try before you buy ( sinklist ) thread together with the mousetrapper. I'm wondering how many people would be interested in participating....
I'm interested in the rollermouse !

Input Nirvana

09 Jul 2012, 16:09

Yo! When/who did you get the Mousetrapper from? I've wanted to try the Mousetrapper for a couple years. I used it ONE time about 5 years ago for a minute :(

Someone on GH was selling a Mousetrapper but Iost contact with GH down.

Mrinterface

09 Jul 2012, 16:17

input nirvana wrote:Yo! When/who did you get the Mousetrapper from? I've wanted to try the Mousetrapper for a couple years. I used it ONE time about 5 years ago for a minute :(

Someone on GH was selling a Mousetrapper but Iost contact with GH down.
Ah, yes, I got it from a GH seller a couple of weeks ago( Madcar ). Probably the same one you lost contact with.

I might be selling it again, since I only purchased it for review.

Input Nirvana

09 Jul 2012, 16:32

Review it!!!! Compared to the Rollermouse Free 2 of course! Then possibly put me on the list of purchasers if you think it's comparable.

Mrinterface

09 Jul 2012, 16:44

Half-Saint

20 Jul 2012, 08:33

I still don't understand how this thing replaces the mouse? How do you move the cursor around the screen? All I see are buttons and a wheel?

Mrinterface

20 Jul 2012, 08:37

Half-Saint wrote:I still don't understand how this thing replaces the mouse? How do you move the cursor around the screen? All I see are buttons and a wheel?
Soon I'll have my review finished and you get to see how the mouse works on video. See the wheel as a mouse wheel that also scrolls(moves) from left to right, maybe that helps envisioning it ;-)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

20 Jul 2012, 11:34

Half-Saint wrote:I still don't understand how this thing replaces the mouse? How do you move the cursor around the screen? All I see are buttons and a wheel?
Here is a video in German (not very much to see, but some good explanations):
and this is another video where one can actually see how the mat moves:
I just wish RollermMouse and Mousetrapper would need less room in front of the keyboard.

Return to “Reviews”