Mousetrapper Advance

Mrinterface

28 Jun 2012, 19:08

I recently obtained a very used Mousetrapper advance. I got it cheap just in order to try it next to my rollermouse free 2.

This review will also be done iteratively. In the coming weeks I'll post my impressions with more kilometers travelled. :-)

First some pics :
Front of mousetrapper
Front of mousetrapper
Mousetrapper_front.jpg (216.15 KiB) Viewed 7629 times
Back of mousetrapper
Back of mousetrapper
Mousetrapper_back.jpg (355.3 KiB) Viewed 7629 times
Birth certificate mousetrapper
Birth certificate mousetrapper
Mousetrapper_birthcert.jpg (376.23 KiB) Viewed 7629 times
Iteration 1:
After 15 minutes of use I can say this -> The scrollpad is very nice to use, MUCH better than an ordinary scroll pad because the top material of the pad sticks to your finger and moves with it. It also has endpoint detectors which I still have to test more thoroughly, but they seem to work OK. The wrist wrest is also a big bonus.
There are 5 buttons which I have yet to find out what does what. If I want to scroll I can use the right side of the pad. Any up down stroke on the right side instantly translates to a scroll up down. Very well done.
The USB connector can be detached and the pad can be operated with my right thumb whilst holding my fingers on the home row. I have yet to get some kilometers on this pad in order to properly judge the whole thumb only controls, so stay tuned for my next iteration ( somwhere next week )

Iteration 2 :
Wait 1 week

Icarium

28 Jun 2012, 19:44

But in principle it works like a Touchpad? Sorry, but I've never heard of it and the pictures don't really make it obvious. :)

off

28 Jun 2012, 19:58

and does it move 'without friction', very fluid&easily?
Interesting little big thing.

Mrinterface

28 Jun 2012, 20:32

It works like a Touchpad, but imagine the top layer of the pad moving with your finger movements. I'll make a video of its operating mechanism soon. It moves almost without friction, so very fluid&easily. :-)

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Jun 2012, 20:46

I see now how it works. When mouse has been sighted, open hidden compartment in the back. Approach mouse and smack it with the mouse trapper, into the compartment. Close up and dispose contents when the thing starts to get smelly.

7bit

29 Jun 2012, 00:11

Does the mouse get an electric shock when it hits the grid in the center?

Findecanor

01 Jul 2012, 23:18

The first MouseTrapper model was actually a simple mechanical device, and had a roller bar like a RollerMouse.
You clamped an existing ball-mouse in it on the left side, and the ball touched against the roller bar. When you moved the roller, the ball moved. It is from this device that the name comes from.

phetto
Elite

02 Jul 2012, 05:22

Nice!

I've acctually had the plesure of using this device and it is fantastic.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

19 May 2013, 01:51

I know this is an old thread, but further thoughts after many months of usage? Perhaps a comparison to the Rollermouse?

Mrinterface

13 Jun 2013, 20:04

I returned it to the shop I bought it from.

It actually induced RSI problems for me, so I quickly got rid of it.
Your experiences might differ though!

7bit

13 Jun 2013, 20:25

I always knew it is for catching mice (electric shock on the grid) and not for catching flies on the screen by moving the pointer to the position of the fly and hit CUT to eliminate it.
:o

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

14 Jun 2013, 01:45

Mrinterface wrote:I returned it to the shop I bought it from.

Interesting, thanks. What part of your hand did it cause the most pain?

Mrinterface

14 Jun 2013, 08:39

prdlm2009 wrote:
Mrinterface wrote:I returned it to the shop I bought it from.

Interesting, thanks. What part of your hand did it cause the most pain?
The only part was my thumb. I used it to control my mouse pointer with the idea of not having to move my hands away from my keyboard when typing/mousing. It back-fired completely : I had the thumb-pain for several months... :-(

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

14 Jun 2013, 17:00

Aaaahhhh! Sounds terrible. I use my thumb all the time with my current mice without a problem, so it might be a good fit for me. Thanks for the information.

Input Nirvana

30 Jun 2013, 07:17

Could you offer more information about the MouseTrapper compared to the RollerMouse Free 2?

If you didn't get RSI issues, how what would have you thought of the MouseTrapper vs. RollerMouse Free 2?

What negatives/improvements with the MouseTrapper?

Mrinterface

30 Jun 2013, 09:36

If I would have to choose between the two, I would choose the MouseTrapper.

Both input devices have a huge problem : the point where you run into their end-stops. The point where you would normally pick up a mouse and put it at the opposite side.

I recently bought myself a second Logitech M9 for use on my dev machine. It's the perfect mouse for me, wired, right weight, right buttons, right sensitivity, right shape to pick up.

Return to “Reviews”