Filco Minila Air

guillaume kuster

17 Jan 2014, 15:04

Thanks for your answers.

I'll get one shortly. Before I do, is anyone in the know about an ISO Minila with blank keycaps possibly on the way?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Jan 2014, 15:20

I wouldn't count on that :)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 May 2014, 18:43

Batteries just died today. I'd say. Great battery life!

I'm now replacing them with rechargeable eneloops.

Muirium
µ

13 May 2014, 21:16

Six months? Not bad at all.

pheo

29 May 2014, 14:23

Does it have some memory for several paired devices? or do you have to pair it up in every device you want to use it again. For example to use it in a tablet an a computer.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 May 2014, 14:45

it can be paired up to 3 devices

pheo

30 May 2014, 14:16

matt3o wrote:it can be paired up to 3 devices
Perfect

netpcvnn

06 Jul 2014, 13:23

Which bluetooth dongle are you (Matt3o) using?
Does someone has problems with Linux mint 17 that is sometime bluetooth interference, keyboard has long delay and disconnect, I need to reconnect again?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Jul 2014, 13:46

Get the TRUST Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter (Amazon ASIN B006WAIVY4). It works wonderfully with linux

netpcvnn

06 Jul 2014, 15:49

Hey Matt3o, Thank you for your information!

o2despo

20 Jul 2014, 03:34

Thanks for the review!

Matt3o, i am curious about the input delay, how much would you guess it is? (can't find ANY numbers on delay anywhere on any keyboard)
I do game from time to time, and would not like to go through the hassle of changing keyboards every time i do:p

And how much do you favour topre over mx switches?

I am considering this keyboard because of the size, and the ISO(?) layout with the big enter button. The bluetooth version would be nice, but if the delay is to big it's not worth it for me.

I bought the choc mini earlier this year - it broke after two weeks, fml!!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Jul 2014, 09:27

I can't honestly "feel" any input delay. I'm sure there's some, I do some games and I noticed no difference with my cabled keyboard BUT I do not play FPS or RTS. The bluetooth dongle you use makes a lot of difference.

o2despo

20 Jul 2014, 14:27

thanks a bunch, matt3o ^_^ i saw your recommended dongle, and will be sure to pick it up!

Muirium
µ

20 Jul 2014, 14:30

He didn't mention Topre because they ruined him on MX…

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Jul 2014, 14:36

I do not enjoy topre that much. That doesn't mean that I don't like them.

drrtyrokka

04 Sep 2014, 00:07

I recently bought a Minila Air and I must say, I'm really pleased with it's funtionality. But there is an issue. It turns off after a while, though continious use. I mean, not the 30 minute autologoff for battery saving. After approx 30 minutes of USE, the keyboard turns off and I have to turn it on again with the button in the back. Is this normal? I think not... So this beauty has to go back.
Or is this perhaps a Windows thing?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Sep 2014, 00:12

definitely not normal.

on what OS are you on? also the USB dongle you use is very important.

drrtyrokka

04 Sep 2014, 00:21

No dongle, its an pcie card from gigabyte with wifi and Bluetooth 4.0
Tested on windows for now. Will try Linux tomorrow at work Perhaps it's a service thing...

Madhias
BS TORPE

04 Sep 2014, 06:33

It could be a 'Windows-Bluetooth-Mainboard' Windows Bluetooth problem, i have the same issues with my Wacom tablet. I have an ASUS mainboard with Bluetooth. Unfortunately i didn't solved it yet (wanted to buy another Bluetooth adapter). With my MacBook on MacOS it works without a problem, but on Windows it disconnects all the time. I use it with a USB cable there. [EDIT] The Wacom tablet has it's own Bluetooth adapter.
Last edited by Madhias on 04 Sep 2014, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.

drrtyrokka

04 Sep 2014, 07:46

Unfortunately there is no cable option with the Minila Air. I read something about a Windows Bluetooth service, that should be on start automatic rather than manual. Turned this on and trying now. Since I always have to work for half an hour till getting response, this tests will take quite a while... Will keep you on track guys.

Madhias
BS TORPE

04 Sep 2014, 08:26

Keep me updated what you found out - i didn't use the tablet at home for a view weeks now.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Sep 2014, 08:48

glad to see windows still sucks at the most basic things :P

JBert

04 Sep 2014, 08:57

I had quite a lot of trouble with Bluez, the Linux bluetooth implementation installed in Ubuntu...

The daemon would crash or at least become unresponsive every time you put the computer to sleep (and on laptops that happens automatically to conserve battery). You actually had to reboot to get your keyboard or mouse working again.

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Sep 2014, 09:22

matt3o will be glad about such basic suckery ;)

Madhias
BS TORPE

04 Sep 2014, 09:46

matt3o wrote: glad to see windows still sucks at the most basic things :P
Wowwow, for me not really... Working with Windows on a MacBook :twisted:

Daniel Beardsmore

04 Sep 2014, 09:46

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Sep 2014, 10:06

okok don't make this a win vs mac thing. First I'm no mac user. Mac to me sucks as much as Windows.

What I'm saying is that despite paying for every piece of hardware and software windows still sucks at bluetooth... something that should be given for granted nowadays.

Apart from the fact that I had zero problems with bluetooth on linux (I don't use Ubuntu though), I have no problem playing with the configs or even apply some arcane hack... because it all comes at no cost and it's incredible that sometimes it works better than mac or windows. That being said I've been quite generous ($$$) with all the open source projects that deserve it.

Madhias
BS TORPE

04 Sep 2014, 10:12

Bluetooth was often for me not an easy straight forward thing. Example: smartphone and car audio. Different devices, different problems. Smartphone works for a year perfect with a car audio, from one day to the other no chance to connect both. Of course it worked again, but i literally solved the problem on the breakdown lane.

andrewjoy

04 Sep 2014, 10:16

I agree Bluetooth support in windows is a f*****g joke, all the messing around you have to do to get it to work is a pain, fire up Linux and it just works.

All i want to do windows is sync a wireless gamepad.

drrtyrokka

04 Sep 2014, 19:47

Since I turned the Bluetooth Support Service on automatic, no further problem with the connection ocurred. It's on Windows 7 btw. Didn't tried it on Linux, because I only use it in vmware and I think this wouldn't make much sense. For me everything is fine for now. Hopefully this was the problem and it won't appear again. :)

PS: Uaaargh. This oem filco keycaps don't feel any good. Can't wait for the Minila Granite ;)

Return to “Reviews”