Targus AKP10EU - a decent little scissor numpad

Julle

24 Jul 2011, 19:37

img_0068.jpg
img_0068.jpg (38.33 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
I came across this numpad in a local supermarket and decided to give it a go. It cost me a whopping 10 euros, and at that price, it's a little gem.
img_0067.jpg
img_0067.jpg (25.22 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
Functionality:
It's a numpad. In addition to the usual numpad buttons it's got a backspace key and a very convenient tab key. It's got a standard USB cable connection. The cable is 91 centimetres long which makes it good for laptop use but might be troublesome for desktop computers.

There is, however, a wireless version of this numpad, the AKP11EU. Unfortunately it does not interface via Bluetooth and, consequently, has a very short range (2 metres).

Activating num lock on the primary keyboard does not seem to affect the numpad, as expected. This was tested on Asus 1008HA running Ubuntu 10.04.

Compared to the Filco numpad, the Targus lacks double 0, num lock and del buttons. It seems to send a num lock scan code with each key press, so this pad can't be used as an additional navigation cluster.

As for NKRO, this numpad is capable of 4 keys pressed simultaneously.

Here's the entire Targus AKP10EU manual. Thanks, Targus. I don't what I would have done without it.
fuck_you_targus.png
fuck_you_targus.png (33.24 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
Switches and keys:

This keypad uses scissor switches of sorts. They make a satisfying clack noise and have very little 'mush' in them. Nice!

The keys feel velvety, but will probably have a mirror polish in the next month or so. I will revisit this and switch feel after some heavy use.

Looks and construction:

The front fascia has a glossy 'piano black' finish, which I don't particularly like. The concave matte black keys look and feel nice. Despite being light, this device feels solid and durable.

img_0070.jpg
img_0070.jpg (39.61 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
Pros
  • Cheap
  • Nice switches and keys
  • Solid construction
  • Short cord
  • Convenient tab key
Cons
  • No num lock key, therefore no navigation
  • No delete or double 0 keys
  • Short cord
  • Glossy finish, oh humanity, when will this trend end...

Return to “Reviews”