IC/Discussion on beige set

fart_toast

14 Mar 2014, 13:02

Already forseeing myself getting so many of the sets...saving begins now!

So splitting alphas to allow people to choose wither symbol mods or lettered? Does it increase the cost of full TKL a lot?

fart_toast

14 Mar 2014, 13:03

Muirium wrote: The irony is not lost on us that Europe's very own GMK is still more expensive than shipping back and forth from the Pacific Northwest. Even for American buyers of Round 5 whose caps will go on a fine old tour!
...and lol

jdeblese

14 Mar 2014, 13:12

Muirium wrote:Yes, yes it would. Would you proxy for me!?

Anyway, this is DT. You're the guys who live "way out over there". Just like SP, alas.
Yes I know, six months ago I was in your position.

Tell me more about proxying, as I haven't been here long enough to know how that works.

Hell, if it got produced and shipped to me in the next two weeks, I could bring it in my suitcase 8-)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Mar 2014, 13:21

fart_toast wrote:Does it increase the cost of full TKL a lot?
A bit.

Muirium
µ

14 Mar 2014, 13:24

Aha! I just clicked on your username to find that out.

Proxying is being a middle man. Except a nice one who's not in it for the money. It varies a bit on how a GB is being done. For instance, I'm off to the post office later with a stack of envelopes with Teensies in them. Jdcarpe organised a Teensy GB, where everyone paid him and he placed a single order of 100+ for a discount from the manufacturer. I'm the European proxy so he sent ~50 of them to me in a single box to save on shipping. It also meant that if we were unlucky and had to pay import ransom from our friends, we could split it between all of us. Then I PMed everyone whose details Jdcarpe forwarded to me to get last leg shipping sorted out and to split the cost.

A simpler form of proxying is just helping out one person at a time. Like when eBay sellers refuse to ship abroad. I got my AEK II from a seller like that in Germany thanks to Snoopy helping me out. I was buying his original Macintosh M0110 keyboard already anyway…

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Mar 2014, 13:28

Do we have an icon for "FN"?!

scottc

14 Mar 2014, 13:32

Anything from here?

http://xahlee.info/comp/unicode_computing_symbols.html

Not sure if someone's posted this link before...

jdeblese

14 Mar 2014, 13:44

I think I can handle that. It'll depend on when exactly the buy ships as I'm planning to move again in the next few months, but we'll see how that works out.

zulios

14 Mar 2014, 13:52

matt3o wrote:actually we could add more multimedia icons...
Copy
https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/103463 ... n#size=128

Cut
https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/103464 ... n#size=128

Paste
https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/103675 ... n#size=128

Home
https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/183566 ... n#size=128

All available in vector formats, no complicated drawing to make things easier. What do you think ?

7bit

14 Mar 2014, 14:07

Home, I understand somehow.

But the other three ...
:?

Muirium
µ

14 Mar 2014, 14:10

Two ideas for Function. A simple Fn ligature (I'll look up a good one when I'm done mailing) and of course a nice f(x) from mathematics.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Mar 2014, 14:15

Evaluating something like this for FN

Multimedia key +1 to home. Anything else?

PS: I hate you Internet, try to search: f(x)

jdeblese

14 Mar 2014, 14:26

matt3o wrote: Image
I like, and it works for layer switching in general.
matt3o wrote: PS: I hate you Internet, try to search: f(x)
Hah! Had the same thing yesterday searching for SMAP, a NASA satellite. They pick the weirdest names. :lol:

Muirium
µ

14 Mar 2014, 14:41

That's pretty good. Now do it in the same style as the other symbols!

I still prefer f(x) but I'll have to find a good one to compete.

Scissors are the traditional symbol for cut. Like how a floppy disk is for save! But those icons are a bit MS Word toolbar for my liking. Clipboard for copy and a tube of glue for paste, isn't it? Haven't touched Word in a decade…

fart_toast

14 Mar 2014, 15:15

Muirium wrote:Two ideas for Function. A simple Fn ligature (I'll look up a good one when I'm done mailing) and of course a nice f(x) from mathematics.

I like the f(x) idea

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Mar 2014, 15:16

ok

now that alpha and mods are split... it would be possible to add mods in an additional color (say a warm gray).... just saying
fart_toast wrote:
Muirium wrote:Two ideas for Function. A simple Fn ligature (I'll look up a good one when I'm done mailing) and of course a nice f(x) from mathematics.

I like the f(x) idea

I like it too, but it's not a symbol it goes well with the others methinks

scottc

14 Mar 2014, 15:19

And the alphas in another colour, like... hmmm, I don't know... a charcoal, perhaps? :D

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Mar 2014, 15:20

alpha color is a bit more problematic due to the international kits

scottc

14 Mar 2014, 15:23

Oh yeah, that makes sense. It would be difficult to get enough interest for them all to make it feasible and would likely split buyers in half and make the alphas more expensive for everyone. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Mar 2014, 15:27

the Blue enter is back on business though

imbattable

14 Mar 2014, 15:32

matt3o wrote:the Blue enter is back on business though
Have mercy with my wallet, matt3o!

jdeblese

14 Mar 2014, 15:34

scottc wrote:Oh yeah, that makes sense. It would be difficult to get enough interest for them all to make it feasible and would likely split buyers in half and make the alphas more expensive for everyone. Oh well, it was worth a shot.
Similar problem with the mods, right? Even if you only offer the base mods in multiple colors, and not the pro set, icons etc., that's gonna split that order to a degree.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Mar 2014, 15:54

yes but the mods are not at risk of extinction :)

Anyway let's stick with granite for now.

I wanted to post all the kits, but they are too many :P I'll post them later (gotta work sometimes...)

fifted

14 Mar 2014, 16:04

Scissors are the traditional symbol for cut. Like how a floppy disk is for save! But those icons are a bit MS Word toolbar for my liking. Clipboard for copy and a tube of glue for paste, isn't it? Haven't touched Word in a decade…
IIRC, copy is two pages slightly overlapping, and paste is the clipboard. Tube of glue is one I haven't seen.

Kurk

14 Mar 2014, 16:14

Like on the BBC Micro :ugeek:

scottc

14 Mar 2014, 16:20

I have to agree with the brussel sprouts

(wat)

Muirium
µ

14 Mar 2014, 16:38

Perhaps I'm thinking of the Amiga, or BeOS or something. It's really been a while…
Kurk wrote:
Like on the BBC Micro :ugeek:
YES!!!

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

14 Mar 2014, 16:46

Crucial question, do the stepped caps lock have a centered stem or is it Cherry compatible?

The FN icon looks great.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Mar 2014, 16:56

should be left stemmed. I will check.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Mar 2014, 19:20

Once again, please review carefully and report any problem. I'm linking the imgur album this time because the set has become gargantuan.

http://imgur.com/a/avBov

How do you want the windowed keys? All blanks?

Return to “Group buys”