IC/Discussion on beige set

LechnerDE

19 Mar 2014, 08:54

How would the proxy thing work if this is handled through SP's internal system?

Would they actually agree to manually combining all the individual orders from EU? Sounds like a lot of work for them...

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Mar 2014, 09:04

LechnerDE wrote:How would the proxy thing work if this is handled through SP's internal system?

Would they actually agree to manually combining all the individual orders from EU? Sounds like a lot of work for them...
You send money to proxy. Proxy makes order :) Then contact SP asking to arrange the cheapest shipping possible (medium or large box I guess)

LechnerDE

19 Mar 2014, 09:06

Oh boy, that would be even more work for the proxy than it already is.

It's like handling a GB within a GB.

GroupCeption!! :D

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Mar 2014, 09:19

LechnerDE wrote:Oh boy, that would be even more work for the proxy than it already is.

It's like handling a GB within a GB.

GroupCeption!! :D
indeed :(

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2014, 10:17

SP will surely declare orders for the correct value. So my current, hypothetical order of $200 worth of caps would have 20% added on top by customs when it arrived here ($40) plus an evil, opaque and variable fee they and Parcelforce add for processing. I've seen that be as high as £20 before. So call it £40 total on my order, for the privilege of being delayed by a week and denied delivery to my door, as you have to go to a Parcelforce depot to collect it.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Mar 2014, 10:31

I'll order it for you if you want. The fee is %22 + €5.5

I'll ask SP if they can declare a forfeit.

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2014, 10:41

Thanks, but whatever we do it needs to scale. A lot of Europeans are going to be in on this language friendly GB. And importing into many EU countries is just as messy as Britain, I imagine.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Mar 2014, 10:49

Common + Text Mods + Pro kit shipped and delivered at my doorstep is € 90.90. Honestly, for a FULL PBT set with a hell lot of keys... it does seem quite reasonable.

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2014, 11:06

Plus single legends, plus international single legends, plus geekdom, plus Apple kit, plus lost and found, plus numpad for that period key…

OCD never comes cheaply!

imbattable

19 Mar 2014, 11:16

If we really get the comma in the numpad set, you can have my period key. Not that I would want to undermine the sales though...

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2014, 11:39

Thanks Batty!

How did DSA Retro work? I imagine Matt had to play the 7bit rôle that time and learned that he never wanted so many caps on his desk ever again!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Mar 2014, 12:07

if 7bit is still available we could send all orders to EU to him I may try to talk to SP about that

fart_toast

19 Mar 2014, 14:21

Oh UK import duties.... Fml

7bit

19 Mar 2014, 14:30

matt3o wrote:if 7bit is still available we could send all orders to EU to him I may try to talk to SP about that
Only if someone gets them through customs for me. If they are sorted already, I could really do it, but I don't want to get them from outside EU.
:-)

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2014, 14:35

So, 7bit: when SP ships you Round 5: you have to visit a postal / Der Zoll office and hand over a wad of cash?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Mar 2014, 14:36

yes they are already sorted. You have to collect money add shipping from you to dest and ship. I understand it's an hassle.

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2014, 19:43

What we really need is an American proxy!

jdeblese

19 Mar 2014, 19:52

50 people, 5000 keycaps worth $5000, to guestimate. I think we'd be in trouble if we tried to send that as a "gift".

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2014, 19:56

Yeah, it's just a dream…

jdeblese

19 Mar 2014, 20:04

On the other hand, if 50 Americans each forwards one "gift" to 50 Europeans...

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2014, 20:11

Let's just all show up at one of HaTaa's keyboard meetups and commence our traditional exchange of gifts!

squarefrog

19 Mar 2014, 20:21

jdeblese wrote:On the other hand, if 50 Americans each forwards one "gift" to 50 Europeans...
Spread the love :)

In the UK you still have to pay import tax if the item is valued at £36 (not including shipping) even if it is marked as a gift. That is better than commercial produce though where you have to pay as soon as the value reaches £15 :(

I don't resent paying the 20% import tax, I do resent paying Royal Mail £10 to collect the tax from me. :evil:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Mar 2014, 20:25

like I said, if import tax in UK is really so high, group your order with someone else in EU (maybe Ireland?)

squarefrog

19 Mar 2014, 21:09

I tend to just factor it into the price. If we group in the UK then as soon as the package totals >= £135 you have to additionally pay Customs Duty (unless the amount owed is under £9). It's enough to drive you crazy!

At the end of the day the British thing to do is just pay it and grumble about it behind closed doors :)

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2014, 21:20

The key to getting anything in here without getting robbed lies in a little misdirection…

scottc

19 Mar 2014, 21:27

matt3o wrote:like I said, if import tax in UK is really so high, group your order with someone else in EU (maybe Ireland?)
Well I don't mind, but I don't know if Irish customs will moan about it. I haven't gotten much in the post from outside of the EU apart from a handful of caps and stabs from WASD. I know that a friend was stung by customs when ordering a WASD V2 though...

squarefrog

19 Mar 2014, 22:30

Muirium wrote:The key to getting anything in here without getting robbed lies in a little misdirection…
Misdirection through a nice EU country with low import tax? :lol:

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2014, 22:32

Where it comes from? Nobody knows!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Mar 2014, 23:28

we need someone from Luxembourg I guess

squarefrog

19 Mar 2014, 23:45

That's very specific :)