TaiHao Cheap ABS Doubleshot Keycaps (keycaps arrived, sortin

GhostofHarry

16 May 2014, 17:37

grasshopper wrote:Hi, I'm very interested in the Dolch set. It's nice to see a doubleshot group buy that isn't insanely overpriced for a change.

However, can I make a few suggestions:

On most (all?) ISO keyboards, the single unit key to the left of the ISO enter key generates the same scan code as the wide \| key above the enter key on ANSI keyboards. Could I therefore suggest that for ISO users, a single unit \| key is provided for fitting just to the left of the enter key. This would enable ISO users to have a fully fuctional US layout (albeit with one extra blank key to the right of the left shift key).

Also, could we have META and SUPER keys instead of Windows keys, or would that add too much to the cost?
1 * 1.25x Shift
2 * 1x blank keys (R1, R2 for ISO)
1 * ISO Enter

The two blank key should be the keys u are talking about

it is similar to jil_jil32's ISO Kit in his valentine keyset groupbuy

with 2 blank keys, 1.25 shift and an ISO enter

grasshopper

16 May 2014, 21:11

Would including a single unit \| key with the ISO add-on pack add significantly to the cost?

GhostofHarry

17 May 2014, 06:41

yes cuz they dont have the mould

grasshopper

17 May 2014, 15:11

GhostofHarry wrote:yes cuz they dont have the mould
You may well be right, but are you 100% certain?

A single unit \| key is needed for UK layout keyboards (and possibly other layouts as well). Many years ago Tai-Hao used to supply keycaps to a number of major keyboard manufacturers. If they ever produced a UK layout then there's a small chance that they'll still have a mould for a single unit \| key. I realise that it's a bit of a long shot, but I still think it's worth asking the question.

Also, can you tell me whether the ISO enter key is blank.

Thanks.

GhostofHarry

17 May 2014, 16:25

grasshopper wrote:
GhostofHarry wrote:yes cuz they dont have the mould
You may well be right, but are you 100% certain?

A single unit \| key is needed for UK layout keyboards (and possibly other layouts as well). Many years ago Tai-Hao used to supply keycaps to a number of major keyboard manufacturers. If they ever produced a UK layout then there's a small chance that they'll still have a mould for a single unit \| key. I realise that it's a bit of a long shot, but I still think it's worth asking the question.

Also, can you tell me whether the ISO enter key is blank.

Thanks.
i can ask them again if there's possibility to produce it

when i ask them about the ISO kit
i actually gave them an ISO kit photo and they said the ISO enter and the shift is available

these are the extra moulds they told me that they have in hand other than normal 104 ANSI

a. Space Bar- 1x7, 1x6.25, 1x5
b. Ctrl - 1x1.25, 1x1.5 - Ctrl key
c. Alt - 1x1.25, 1x1.5 - Alt key
d. 3 windows key – 1 x1.25
e. blank key - 1x1
f. ISO Enter

but well...they can give me the 1.25 shift which is not on the list
so i think there's possibilities for us to have one
after that ill compare the price again and see if we add them in

Muirium
µ

18 May 2014, 01:47

5 unit space bar? Now that would be something!

GhostofHarry

18 May 2014, 08:24

Muirium wrote:5 unit space bar? Now that would be something!
yea actually taihao has quite a lot of special stuff

they can make alps caps too!

but it will be too much for us to put all of them in one groupbuy :lol:

the price of taihao has been raise for $7 since last gb
it will lose its attractive price if we add too many stuff into the kits :lol:

grasshopper

18 May 2014, 12:51

GhostofHarry wrote:
i can ask them again if there's possibility to produce it

when i ask them about the ISO kit
i actually gave them an ISO kit photo and they said the ISO enter and the shift is available

these are the extra moulds they told me that they have in hand other than normal 104 ANSI

a. Space Bar- 1x7, 1x6.25, 1x5
b. Ctrl - 1x1.25, 1x1.5 - Ctrl key
c. Alt - 1x1.25, 1x1.5 - Alt key
d. 3 windows key – 1 x1.25
e. blank key - 1x1
f. ISO Enter

but well...they can give me the 1.25 shift which is not on the list
so i think there's possibilities for us to have one
after that ill compare the price again and see if we add them in
Thanks. I appreciate you looking into that for me. IMHO the add-on kit would be massively enhanced if it included a single unit \| key for ISO users.

I can live with a blank key next to left shift as it's effectively an extra key. But a 104 key layout where only 103 of the keys was correctly labelled would end up irritating me, especially as I use the \| key quite a lot.

grasshopper

18 May 2014, 20:58

I've just been looking at the Deskthority wiki page for Tai-Hao doubleshot keycaps (link). It appears that they supplied keycaps for the Oriental Tech OK-100M keyboard. If you click on the link for that keyboard, which is about half way down the page, you'll see that it actually has two single unit \| keys (link).

Daniel Beardsmore

18 May 2014, 22:28

That will be the wrong row profile, though, no?

grasshopper

18 May 2014, 22:58

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:That will be the wrong row profile, though, no?
Yes, that might be a problem. I'm not sure whether a given doubleshot pattern can be applied to any height key base, or whether the pattern and base of the keycap always have to go together. Maybe someone who knows more about doubleshot tooling could answer that question.

However, even if that's the case, you could still have the \| key to the right of the left shift key. It might require some key remapping to work correctly, but I could live with that.

Daniel Beardsmore

20 May 2014, 00:37

Don't forget that the OK-100M took Alps keycaps :)

I am annoyed with myself for not ordering two or more black sets the first time around (one for my G80-3000 and at least one spare).

I'm hesitant over this group buy, as I do prefer a 98% black keyboard. This time however, ISO is an option, as it wasn't last time.

Iacoizumi

22 May 2014, 15:45

Been a couple days since this thread was last updated. Is this GB still ongoing?

HID45

22 May 2014, 16:11

Again interesting set but no Nordics sub-set? Aaaaargh! I'm ok with Ansi, not ok with missing Nordics.

Iacoizumi

22 May 2014, 16:39

HID45 wrote:Again interesting set but no Nordics sub-set? Aaaaargh! I'm ok with Ansi, not ok with missing Nordics.
I feel like that's partly due to the high MOQ for this GB. I imagine it'd be difficult to hit a 300 MOQ for a nordic add-on subset. That being said, I thought including the full nordic keyset mandated a 105-key keyboard? Doesn't that force you to use ISO over ANSI?

HID45

22 May 2014, 20:47

Iacoizumi wrote:
HID45 wrote:Again interesting set but no Nordics sub-set? Aaaaargh! I'm ok with Ansi, not ok with missing Nordics.
That being said, I thought including the full nordic keyset mandated a 105-key keyboard? Doesn't that force you to use ISO over ANSI?
Well... no?

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

22 May 2014, 20:56

Well, it actually does! Like on all ISO layouts the key next to left shift would be left out when using an ANSI layout instead. It can be circumvented (AHK) or ignored completely, but you still have to do without it.

HID45

22 May 2014, 22:07

Hmm. Yes. You are right. But that key comes with ISO, not nordics per se. I would be happy with Ansi set with nordic letters sub set. Something like what was offered in Round 5 and Granite set for example, and what is shown in my Poker there.

And I never use that key anyway.

grasshopper

26 May 2014, 19:35

Hi GhostofHarry, it's been a while since you posted in this thread, and the 31st May deadline is fast approaching. can you let us know whether this GB is still happening? Thanks

Iacoizumi

27 May 2014, 18:11

grasshopper wrote:Hi GhostofHarry, it's been a while since you posted in this thread, and the 31st May deadline is fast approaching. can you let us know whether this GB is still happening? Thanks
Not GhostofHarry, but I don't think we'll hit the MOQ before May 31st. The MOQ for each of the ANSI sets is 300 units, and if you look at the order sheet we currently have 254 orders for the Dolch ANSI set, 164 orders for the Granite ANSI set, and 148 orders for the Olivette ANSI set. We might reach the MOQ for Dolch (assuming that everyone who put in an order actually goes through with their purchase), but I seriously doubt we'll hit Granite or Olivette without a 7bit deadline extension.

But hey, who knows? Maybe a reseller will drop in and grab 100 of each. ;)

SL89

27 May 2014, 18:17

Iacoizumi wrote: We might reach the MOQ for Dolch (assuming that everyone who put in an order actually goes through with their purchase), but I seriously doubt we'll hit Granite or Olivette without a 7bit deadline extension.

But hey, who knows? Maybe a reseller will drop in and grab 100 of each. ;)
I think GhostOfHarry mentioned rolling them back as they weren't hard deadlines but i can't seem to find the post. I'll try to when im not on mobile.

GhostofHarry

27 May 2014, 19:46

Sorry for the late reply, i was too busy organizing the DIY keyboard pack and other stuff in my reality life.

and I have no idea why gmail stopped notifying me replies here.

Im gonna reply all the quesitons in a minute

As the deadline is approaching, and the MOQ has still not yet met, I think i will very possibly keep the GB open for another month. I dont think giving up this GB is a wise move, as the Dolch ANSI set is very nearly to our 300 MOQ.
I have also considered allowing everyone to revise their order, but lets wait and see if this GB is doing good after one more month. (The main problem is the Olivette and granite set)

I just heard from tinnie a few days ago that last Taihao held by elton in geekhack was open for 6 months to meet the 400 MOQ .....and thats the main reason I think reconsidering our deadline of GB will be a better choice.

Anyway, I will update again on or before 31st May
Lets see if we can have a small boost in orders on the last few days :)

grasshopper

29 May 2014, 00:56

GhostofHarry wrote:
As the deadline is approaching, and the MOQ has still not yet met, I think i will very possibly keep the GB open for another month.
That's fine by me. I'd rather wait a bit longer for the possibility of gaining more choices and/or lower prices.

Incidentally, did you get a chance to speak to TaiHao about the possibility of including a single unit \| key for ISO users?

GhostofHarry

31 May 2014, 16:32

Deadline Extended!

grasshopper wrote:
GhostofHarry wrote: Incidentally, did you get a chance to speak to TaiHao about the possibility of including a single unit \| key for ISO users?
Taihao sales has not yet reply me
maybe its becuz they are having their exhibition Computex Taipei 2014

I will update here once they contacted me

alinh

02 Jun 2014, 08:09

Any chance we can get non-qwerty layout homing keys? (e.g. t and n for colemak).

GhostofHarry

02 Jun 2014, 10:33

alinh wrote:Any chance we can get non-qwerty layout homing keys? (e.g. t and n for colemak).
i will try to ask the sales :lol:

Iacoizumi

08 Jun 2014, 22:37

Whoo! We hit MOQ for Dolch! 65% for Granite, 55% for Olivette!

On a side note, looks like your embedded photobucket links hit their limit. Might want to rehost them with imgur or some other alternative.

simbloke

27 Jun 2014, 20:29

I would also really like an ISO \| key, but I've still put my name down for a set :-)

Sim

grasshopper

30 Jun 2014, 00:11

Does anyone know whether this group buy is still live? I've been waiting to see whether an ISO \| key would be included before deciding how many sets to order.

Iacoizumi

30 Jun 2014, 00:27

grasshopper wrote: Does anyone know whether this group buy is still live? I've been waiting to see whether an ISO \| key would be included before deciding how many sets to order.
Should be, although GhostofHarry hasn't been on Deskthority since the 5th... :?

Either way, we've hit MOQ for Dolch, ~70% for Granite, and ~59% for Olivette. In the case that GhostofHarry isn't coming back, does anyone else know how to get this kind of group buy up and running again?

Return to “Group buys”