Face U/MX-mini U replica, acrylic/alu plate, KEEP ORDERING

t!ng
Awake Sheep

09 Jul 2014, 10:32

Tinnie, have you received my money? I forgot to put my forum name there. I pmed you already about it.

tinnie

10 Jul 2014, 19:37

Yes. Just got all the plates today.

Zentaaa

10 Jul 2014, 19:37

Omfg i love the pace this gb is moving at :D sooooo pumped

iAmAhab

10 Jul 2014, 19:44

That reminds me, I have to get around to paying!

EDIT: And done, loving the pace on this GB.

t!ng
Awake Sheep

10 Jul 2014, 19:55

[quote="tinnie" post_id=172654]Yes. Just got all the plates today.

Was this yes for me?

macmakkara

10 Jul 2014, 20:40

Ohohoo just need those PCB =)

t!ng
Awake Sheep

10 Jul 2014, 21:53

Tinnie: Have you received my money???

frankbartoli

11 Jul 2014, 00:17

Hi Tinnie I'll take 1x faceU with 1x acrilic plate for faceU THANKS!

tinnie

11 Jul 2014, 02:47

t!ng wrote: Tinnie: Have you received my money???
Yes. Don't worry.

nightcracker

11 Jul 2014, 14:35

Hey everyone, I got referred to here from my thread on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeybo ... _60_board/

This would be my first mechanical keyboard, and I want to try out 60%. Being as picky as I am nothing short of a fully reprogrammable 60% would do - which led me to here.

However since this is my first mechanical keyboard I do not know the exact other things I'd need to get a fully functioning keyboard. I understand I still need switches, caps and a case, but anything else? Is the microcontroller included? Can anyone recommend me places to buy the things I still need?

Also there are a lot of options listed, would anyone be willing to explain to me what the advantages/disadvantages/differences are, so I can make a good choice?

P.S.: I'm not afraid of technical details, so I know what I'm getting myself into. I am slightly afraid of soldering, so if it'd be possible to avoid that it'd be nice (if not I can do it, but I'd rather not).

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

11 Jul 2014, 14:42

The PCB has controller and other small components already soldered, you only need to solder the switches, and that is easy, basic soldering skills.
After you have the switches soldered you need a case and caps, and that's it. You also need stabilizers for Space Bar and Return/Enter.

The only case where you need advanced skills and tools is if you want to have backlight, in that case you have to solder also SMD resistors.

Options:
You have 2 PCB types the faceU that is 60% (this is compact, no dedicated arrows, no function row, like HHKB or Poker) keyboard and MX-mini that is a 75% (like the KBT Race keyboard, you will have function row, can have arrow cluster).
You can get also a plate to go with the PCB (acrylic cheaper but not so solid and aluminum type which is sturdy but the price is higher). The plate adds more stability, the switches will be fixed in this plate first and then soldered to the PCB. In my opinion for a 60% you don't need that, it just complicates your life, but this is me, a lot of people prefer a plate.
For the MX-mini also an acrylic case is available, this is a good option, and it will be cheap.

If you have the funds I would say go and buy a faceU and MX-mini and get also a MX-mini case, this would be a good start, and you would be able to experiment with both types at a very good price.
Last edited by DanielT on 11 Jul 2014, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

11 Jul 2014, 14:50

The soldering on this board should be simple. Getting hold of caps, switches, stabs and a case will be more interesting. And then so long as you're running Windows, the Flash app to set up the controller should be fine. If a little Korean…

It was the software part that put me off. I'm better building my own.

maxrunner

11 Jul 2014, 15:25

So how much does the 60% loses compared to the 75% layout?completely blind here, but i want to buy a cherry mx compact keyboard with iso layout :P

edit:nevermind DanielT explained it already.
Last edited by maxrunner on 11 Jul 2014, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

tinnie

11 Jul 2014, 15:29

Muirium wrote: The soldering on this board should be simple. Getting hold of caps, switches, stabs and a case will be more interesting. And then so long as you're running Windows, the Flash app to set up the controller should be fine. If a little Korean…

It was the software part that put me off. I'm better building my own.
Nah. The software is in English.

Muirium
µ

11 Jul 2014, 15:32

좋은 소식!

nightcracker

11 Jul 2014, 15:45

DanielT wrote: The PCB has controller and other small components already soldered, you only need to solder the switches, and that is easy, basic soldering skills.
After you have the switches soldered you need a case and caps, and that's it. You also need stabilizers for Space Bar and Return/Enter.

The only case where you need advanced skills and tools is if you want to have backlight, in that case you have to solder also SMD resistors.

Options:
You have 2 PCB types the faceU that is 60% (this is compact, no dedicated arrows, no function row, like HHKB or Poker) keyboard and MX-mini that is a 75% (like the KBT Race keyboard, you will have function row, can have arrow cluster).
You can get also a plate to go with the PCB (acrylic cheaper but not so solid and aluminum type which is sturdy but the price is higher). The plate adds more stability, the switches will be fixed in this plate first and then soldered to the PCB. In my opinion for a 60% you don't need that, it just complicates your life, but this is me, a lot of people prefer a plate.
For the MX-mini also an acrylic case is available, this is a good option, and it will be cheap.

If you have the funds I would say go and buy a faceU and MX-mini and get also a MX-mini case, this would be a good start, and you would be able to experiment with both types at a very good price.
Thanks for the quick reply!

The 75% would be interesting, however I'd rather not have arrow keys - it's only the F-key row that interests me for games/more keys to program. If I'd take the 75% would it be possible to mount switches and keycaps like such (warning quick mockup in paint): Image ?

Also I assume that above layout would require a custom plate and is thus not compatible with the one sold here?

tinnie

11 Jul 2014, 15:50

Sorry. It isn't possible.

maxrunner

11 Jul 2014, 15:57

modding switches with this, wont be possible without desoldering the switch right?

tinnie

11 Jul 2014, 15:58

It is possible.

jessa

11 Jul 2014, 16:08

If you'll ship to Australia I will take 1 x faceU and 1 x aluminum plate please :)

maxrunner

11 Jul 2014, 16:29

Is there schematics of both pcb layouts (iso)?

maxrunner

11 Jul 2014, 19:16

When will this end?

Pacifist

12 Jul 2014, 01:39

1X each

Face U replica, support ISO, €30
MX mini U replica, support ISO, €35
Aluminium plate (support ISO) for face U, €19
Acrylic plate (support ISO) for MX-MINI U, €8
Acrylic case for MX-MINI U

maxrunner

12 Jul 2014, 04:23

How much for the acrylic case?And will it be easy to get a good case for the faceU?

Pacifist

12 Jul 2014, 04:30

maxrunner wrote: How much for the acrylic case?And will it be easy to get a good case for the faceU?
faceU PCB should be compatible with most 60% cases

tobetchi

12 Jul 2014, 07:58

I'll take:

2x Face U replica
1x Face U Acrylic plate
1x Face U Aluminium plate

twiddle

12 Jul 2014, 10:18

If you don't mind me paying on the 16th and shipping to AU, I'll take
1x MX-Mini PCB
1x MX-Mini Acrylic plate
1x MX-Mini case (pending price)
Thanks!

maxrunner

12 Jul 2014, 10:53

Only the faceU will have the aluminium plate?

ruiner17

12 Jul 2014, 11:04

1 x Face U replica, support ISO, €30
1 x Acrylic plate (support ISO) for Face U, €7

maxrunner

13 Jul 2014, 14:21

Im still pondering which one to get, but what about stabilizers? does the pcb have any support for these ?

Return to “Group buys”