F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

Hypersphere

29 Oct 2015, 19:04

Muirium wrote: Well, try putting your Kishsaver and your Realforce 87U back to back on your desk! Very different, but very similar in some ways. Both are a lot bigger than an HHKB.
Yes, but the HHKB and the Kishsaver win for me, because I tend to value symmetry over small size.

Ellipse

29 Oct 2015, 23:34

Yes the PCB will be grounded to the bottom inner assembly by a screw. This grounding method seems to work for the xtant project from what I can see. There will also be a second grounding area on the PCB in case anyone prefers to ground the PCB in a second spot.
20150824_231413.jpg
20150824_231413.jpg (265.59 KiB) Viewed 7668 times

31 Oct 2015, 02:47

snoopy wrote: afaik they're only missing one key (right shift?)
Correct, Unicomp still has blank black sets, just missing Right Shift. Though with the HHKB-ish layout with this F62, custom order a set with an additional black caps lock key and you'd be set.

Muirium
µ

31 Oct 2015, 03:06

Blank Black Kish HHKB style is so the way to go!

Ellipse

31 Oct 2015, 22:09

Thanks 0100010 that is good to know regarding the black blank key sets.

Ellipse

01 Nov 2015, 18:02

It seems like Unicomp may no longer be producing the black blank key sets and may only be selling off their remaining stock. They ran out of the right Shift key, but those with a HHKB style layout can order an extra 1u key and an extra caps lock style key, or you would probably have to dye a right shift key black (any other alternatives?). I can arrange a group buy for those who would prefer not to take a chance and discover in a month that they are sold out. Would anyone be interested? The keys would be mailed to me and installed on your keyboard with no installation charge, same as with any Model F/M keys you mail me or order from Unicomp.

romevi

01 Nov 2015, 18:05

Ellipse wrote:It seems like Unicomp may no longer be producing the black blank key sets and may only be selling off their remaining stock. They ran out of the right Shift key, but those with a HHKB style layout can order an extra 1u key and an extra caps lock style key, or you would probably have to dye a right shift key black (any other alternatives?). I can arrange a group buy for those who would prefer not to take a chance and discover in a month that they are sold out. Would anyone be interested? The keys would be mailed to me and installed on your keyboard with no installation charge, same as with any Model F/M keys you mail me or order from Unicomp.
Wait, they're selling off the rest of the stock? What could that mean? Are they closing shop?

Ellipse

01 Nov 2015, 18:11

I don't think they are closing. I'm not sure why they can make other color right shifts but not black blank right shifts. I hope they resume production though.

01 Nov 2015, 18:27

My understanding is Unicomp will only manufacture a part if there is projected sales volume or an order with MOQ for it. I think the number I heard was 3000 MOQ (but that was for 7x white spacebars).

Muirium
µ

01 Nov 2015, 19:02

How about black spacebars?

fohat
Elder Messenger

01 Nov 2015, 20:33

Muirium wrote: How about black spacebars?
Easy dye job and they look great. I am typing on one now.

Firebolt1914

01 Nov 2015, 20:39

Is it just the pictures, or do the flippers look slightly worse than regular Model F flippers?

01 Nov 2015, 23:08

Muirium wrote: How about black spacebars?
They have black spacebars still (both sizes). The never made 7x white spacebars though, just the 6.25x ones.

atlas3686

02 Nov 2015, 07:19

Ellipse wrote: It seems like Unicomp may no longer be producing the black blank key sets and may only be selling off their remaining stock. They ran out of the right Shift key, but those with a HHKB style layout can order an extra 1u key and an extra caps lock style key, or you would probably have to dye a right shift key black (any other alternatives?). I can arrange a group buy for those who would prefer not to take a chance and discover in a month that they are sold out. Would anyone be interested? The keys would be mailed to me and installed on your keyboard with no installation charge, same as with any Model F/M keys you mail me or order from Unicomp.
Hi Ellipse, I would be interested in securing a set of black blanks for the F62 (HHKB style). Just let me know how you would like to handle it.

Ellipse

02 Nov 2015, 23:41

Great atlas. I will let you know - I expect to ask Unicomp about stock levels beforehand.

Samir

04 Nov 2015, 01:57

Holy freaking cow. This is a hard project to put together. Simply amazing. Kudos!

Can't wait to see the final product.

Ellipse

04 Nov 2015, 02:09

I finally found a good strain relief P clip to use for the USB cable - it will be metal like the original.

atlas3686

04 Nov 2015, 10:15

Good news, thanks for the update. Cannot wait to the see the prototype cases!

andrewjoy

04 Nov 2015, 10:55

I don't know how you are going to stablise the space bar but this is a good option.
IMG_20151103_201052.jpg
IMG_20151103_201052.jpg (950.46 KiB) Viewed 7176 times
IMG_20151103_201107.jpg
IMG_20151103_201107.jpg (796.65 KiB) Viewed 7176 times

Ellipse

04 Nov 2015, 23:36

Andrew I am using custom-made steel tabs that will be attached to the top inner assembly. The tabs can be bought separately if you want to repair your old Model F keyboard space bar (not for XT's or AT's).

They are also sized to accommodate a Model M spacebar.
20150919_151057 - Copy.jpg
20150919_151057 - Copy.jpg (879.46 KiB) Viewed 7119 times

Hypersphere

04 Nov 2015, 23:42

Excellent news about the steel tabs, Ellipse! Thanks! How can we order the tabs?

Ellipse

04 Nov 2015, 23:45

I will put up an order form once the prototypes pass my testing. The form allows you to order keyboards as well as spare parts.

wcass

05 Nov 2015, 00:11

How do the tabs connect to the top plate?

andrewjoy

05 Nov 2015, 00:35

Ellipse wrote: Andrew I am using custom-made steel tabs that will be attached to the top inner assembly. The tabs can be bought separately if you want to repair your old Model F keyboard space bar (not for XT's or AT's).

They are also sized to accommodate a Model M spacebar.
20150919_151057 - Copy.jpg
EDIT i got that backwards sorry

I am guessing they will fit an F space bar like the one from the 122 or 4704 ?

Ellipse

05 Nov 2015, 00:51

wcass I will epoxy or glue the prototype tabs myself for the prototypes, as I want to optimize placement with the prototypes in hand before specifying final placement to the factory.

I expect they will be welded or maybe epoxied to the final top inner assemblies - any preferences? I doubt that they will need to be moved once they are in place.

Yes andrew they should fit those F spacebars, though I can't say for sure until I have everything in hand (which should be hopefully around the end of next week).

Is anyone going to be in NY later this month or in December? Maybe I can schedule "office hours" to try out these keyboards?

Muirium
µ

05 Nov 2015, 01:49

I'll be at the opposite corner of the US in December, is that any good!?

Anyway, these new stabs of yours are intriguing. My Kishsaver's got a broken spacebar stab that's still needing fixed:

Firebolt1914

05 Nov 2015, 13:34

Are the quality of the flippers better in person or are the pictures a good representation of how they will be?

andrewjoy

05 Nov 2015, 13:37

Ellipse wrote: wcass I will epoxy or glue the prototype tabs myself for the prototypes, as I want to optimize placement with the prototypes in hand before specifying final placement to the factory.

I expect they will be welded or maybe epoxied to the final top inner assemblies - any preferences? I doubt that they will need to be moved once they are in place.

Yes andrew they should fit those F spacebars, though I can't say for sure until I have everything in hand (which should be hopefully around the end of next week).

Is anyone going to be in NY later this month or in December? Maybe I can schedule "office hours" to try out these keyboards?
That would be nice to know. Do you have an F space bar for testing or do you need one to loan ? I have one i could spare for a few months if needed for testing.

Its just I prefer them , they are lighter and the bar is thinner so they dont sound as clunky.

Ellipse

05 Nov 2015, 23:49

Yep Andrew I have some F spacebars for testing.

Elrick

06 Nov 2015, 01:09

A question for Ellipse here,

Have you designed and made a Label/Sticker for your new Keyboard yet?

Must have something on the front side of the keyboard denoting it's an Ellipse F62 Kishsaver or an F77 Industrial Model for all the world to see.

Happy with even just your name the "Ellipse Special" or something like that because in the future people will want to know, what and/or who made this amazing keyboard.

Return to “Group buys”