FSSK / FEXT PCBs (2nd round) ?

idollar
i$

01 Jun 2016, 09:11

tentator wrote: I checked the work done here and indeed that is a great job i$!
Definitely going to be too difficult to do an unsaver without thoroughly thinking every trace here.. ;)
... it can be done. I would start with the matrix definition (the table attached in the compressed file), by doing a theoretic analysis of the matrix distribution. The matrix will be changed for sure when finding space for the traces, but this part of the game ....

kekstee

05 Jun 2016, 03:04

If I had an SSK I would try to get this done no matter what. But since it's only a huge and impractical M it would very much depend on the availability of flippers at a reasonable price. (and still, PCB, controller, and flippers are quite an investment for a board I don't use)

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

05 Jun 2016, 05:14

When lot_lizard is done with the Remodeling the Model M project, we should hopefully be able to order all of the parts to drop in and replace the guts of any model M, converting it to an F. That way, we won't have to perform a screw mod, and more importantly, it will make it much more feasible, IMO, to convert a full size model M to an SSK. I'm pretty confident that I can cut down and epoxy together a pseudo SSK case from a full size one, as long as I don't have to worry about doing difficult surgery on the barrel plate and backplate.

Nuum

06 Jun 2016, 00:09

Are the FEXT PCBs already shipping out? I registered interest for a PCB a few sites up, is it still possible to get one?

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

06 Jun 2016, 02:07

I'm pretty sure it's just an interest check so far.

drevyek

25 Jul 2016, 00:58

IS this IC still active? Or has it gone on to the next stage?

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

25 Jul 2016, 01:58

I think everyone has migrated to lot_ lizard's Remodeling the Model M thread. In 1-2 months we'll be able to buy full steel Model F style assemblies for FSSK/FEXT builds. Basically you'd just take an existing 101 or SSK Model M, pull the caps and stabilizers, open the case, pop in the new assembly, close the case, replace stabilizers and caps, hook up a USB A to B cable, and start typing.

drevyek

25 Jul 2016, 02:26

That's what I figured. It's moving along quite nicely- much quicker than I had expected.

shreebles
Finally 60%

25 Jul 2016, 12:07

Techno Trousers wrote: In 1-2 months we'll be able to buy full steel Model F style assemblies for FSSK/FEXT builds. Basically you'd just take an existing 101 or SSK Model M, pull the caps and stabilizers, open the case, pop in the new assembly, close the case, replace stabilizers and caps, hook up a USB A to B cable, and start typing.
Yes, I wish I had known that before I ordered a controller and cut apart a working M just to have a second SSK assembly :lol:

But, at least I got an original idollar prototype PCB out of it :)
Still waiting on my controller though...

alh84001
v.001

25 Jul 2016, 14:08

Yeah. I don't know how I feel now about SSK-ing the internals of a model M :lol:. I plan on cutting the case this week, should be fun :)

tentator

27 Jul 2016, 23:18

I also plan to do the same on an unicomp black case with i$ FEXT :)
loooots of fun with my saw yeah... ;)

tent:wq

modology

29 Jul 2016, 08:45

I'm interested for both FSSK and FEXT pcb as well

Return to “Group buys”