F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

wobbled

14 Jul 2017, 23:30

Ellipse wrote: While we wait on the factory, I was wondering if we could discuss:

Where will you be using your brand new Model F keyboard? What kind of work/activities will you be using it for most (writing, coding, gaming, etc.)?
If it feels just as good as a model f it'll be my primary keyboard at work and at home unless I get tired of carrying it around.

Mattr567

14 Jul 2017, 23:34

Ellipse wrote: While we wait on the factory, I was wondering if we could discuss:

Where will you be using your brand new Model F keyboard? What kind of work/activities will you be using it for most (writing, coding, gaming, etc.)?
Will sit at my desk at home, writing and general Internet use really. Gaming maybe :lol:

Right now switching around between Alps boards. Sold my Model M and kept those caps ;) Otherwise no Cherry, but picking up a PS/2 WYSE PCE soon. Didn't know those existed until recently.

Ellipse

15 Jul 2017, 00:23

NPR Interview tonight!

It is an honor to be a guest tonight on NPR's evening program All Things Considered! The 3 minute segment on the Model F keyboards will air around 7:30 or 8pm, at least in NY. Please tune in to your local station to listen!

The audio is posted here if you miss the broadcast: http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechcons ... a-comeback
Last edited by Ellipse on 15 Jul 2017, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.

depletedvespene

15 Jul 2017, 00:59

Ellipse wrote: Please tune in to your local station to listen!
No NPR where I live. Will it be streamed over the Internet?

Ellipse

15 Jul 2017, 01:02

Well the link will be available with the audio after the fact. I don't think there is a live stream.

depletedvespene

15 Jul 2017, 02:17

Good enough for me. :-)

Ellipse

15 Jul 2017, 02:19

Korzenowski

15 Jul 2017, 10:43

In my case, the new keyboard will displace my magnificent F122.

The F122 was great in the days I was working on mainframes. With those days long gone, I no longer need anything so bulky, so the F77 is going to free up some desk space.

But not weight.

The F122 is both big and heavy (at 4Kg). Not only does it not move about on the desk, it takes a fork-lift to move it about. Well, okay, I exaggerate slightly, but you get the idea of the stability of it. And how deceptively heavy it is.

The F77 also weighs in at 4Kg in a much smaller footprint, so it's safe to assume it's going to be rock solid on my desk. Quite possibly the most insane keyboard available today, and I'm climbing the walls waiting to get my hands on it.

NathanA

15 Jul 2017, 11:42

Ellipse wrote: Where will you be using your brand new Model F keyboard? What kind of work/activities will you be using it for most (writing, coding, gaming, etc.)?
Coding, system administration, writing technical docs, etc.

Already using a (I think) 1999 42H1292 UK-built Model M at the office (and have been using for the past, oh gosh, probably 10 years; came with our Nortel phone system, BARELY used, and nobody else wanted it!), and have a mint 1391401 from 1991 at home.

-- Nathan

lisdude

15 Jul 2017, 17:17

Ellipse wrote: Where will you be using your brand new Model F keyboard? What kind of work/activities will you be using it for most (writing, coding, gaming, etc.)?
I run a MUD (well, a MOO), so everything being text-based really lends itself well to having a great keyboard. Nearly everything else I do is inside a terminal, Vim, or a web browser (with a Vim extension for keyboard navigation, naturally).

It's going to be the most bored keyboard ever. But at least it will get its exercise!

Hypersphere

15 Jul 2017, 18:51

Way to go, Ellipse! The interview was great!

I hadn't realized before hearing the interview that you have a kind of Clint Eastwood speech style. "...being this is an F77, the most powerful keyboard in the world and would knock your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

Seriously, though, your excited whisper causes people to lean in close and pay attention. You've brought international attention to the Model F project. Thanks for bringing it to the Deskthority community and making us a part of this amazing project.

Ellipse

15 Jul 2017, 22:15

We reached $300,000 in orders!

Thanks Hypersphere!

depletedvespene

16 Jul 2017, 01:14

Ellipse wrote: We reached $300,000 in orders!
So who's the lucky one? :-D

Hodgson

16 Jul 2017, 09:48

Korzeneowski wrote: In my case, the new keyboard will displace my magnificent F122.

The F122 was great in the days I was working on mainframes. With those days long gone, I no longer need anything so bulky, so the F77 is going to free up some desk space.
I really want one of these.
Last edited by Hodgson on 19 Oct 2021, 21:52, edited 6 times in total.

Ludovician

16 Jul 2017, 14:40

This will be my glorious daily driver once I get it.

depletedvespene

16 Jul 2017, 19:50

Ludovician wrote:

This will be my glorious daily driver once I get it.
Mine too, IF my kid doesn't steal it from me. :-D

consolation

17 Jul 2017, 22:39

I rotate a clicky alps V80 and a novatouch, depending on the amount of noise the family can tolerate in the living room; so it's going to displace my alps board as the daily driver. My model M, which used to be the clicky main driver, has been "stolen" by my youngest.
Last edited by consolation on 18 Jul 2017, 03:22, edited 2 times in total.

evoman

18 Jul 2017, 00:43

Ellipse wrote: NPR Interview tonight!

It is an honor to be a guest tonight on NPR's evening program All Things Considered! The 3 minute segment on the Model F keyboards will air around 7:30 or 8pm, at least in NY. Please tune in to your local station to listen!

The audio is posted here if you miss the broadcast: http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechcons ... a-comeback
Congrats, well deserved. As a long time NPR devotee and supporter, I believe this means you have *made it*. Just don't let it go to your head!

Ellipse

18 Jul 2017, 01:05

Ha thanks evoman! It was a fun experience.

They had me using a classic U87! Doesn't get much higher end than that!
NPR Model F Keyboards Interview.jpg
NPR Model F Keyboards Interview.jpg (179.76 KiB) Viewed 6639 times

Zed

18 Jul 2017, 01:42

Ellipse wrote: They had me using a classic U87! Doesn't get much higher end than that!
They only have the budget for $3,000 mics? :P Congrats on the great interview and all the other press the project has been getting!

Elrick

18 Jul 2017, 03:37

Ellipse wrote: We reached $300,000 in orders!
Kudos to you, for reaching that amount but the MOST crucial question here, is where are the finished Model-F keyboards?

Paid for mine on the 03 February 2016 but still no result as of yet, hence this can not keep going on forever. I know I signed on never knowing when this project will end but if this is still meandering along during 2019, then something is seriously wrong here.

You need to concentrate on finishing this first, instead of being distracted by anything else like poor quality or contractors failing their deliveries. In the end it may be prudent to simply GUT a traditional Model-F and remove all the switch internals for replacement into your new casings. Don't start thinking that now, during 2017 or even beyond, that anyone will produce the exact specifications as what was done years ago, it may never happen.

PLEASE finish this off either by doing what I've suggested or seriously re-examine your project altogether.
Last edited by Elrick on 18 Jul 2017, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.

Ellipse

18 Jul 2017, 04:12

Sorry for the delays Elrick. Production has finished on many of the components - the important components we are waiting on are the springs, key tooling, and inner assembly steel plate tooling. We are still looking at end of year delivery for everyone.

The factory has agreed that if this month's corrected key molds do not meet quality standards, I will be going with the other factory.

The factory is also finishing up the corrected top inner assembly tooling this month. Part of the tooling is a huge metal press curved to IBM's exact radius for the top inner assembly. This will ensure we match IBM's exact standards.

In the mean time as the keys are produced, assembly is expected to finish for everything except the keys. That way the keys will not bottleneck the project timeline. The factory expects to produce more of the spring attacher machines to speed things along.

Elrick

18 Jul 2017, 09:27

Ellipse wrote: Production has finished on many of the components - the important components we are waiting on are the springs, key tooling, and inner assembly steel plate tooling. We are still looking at end of year delivery for everyone.
FANTASTIC, so this will be delivered by end of December 2017.......Nice. Really looking forward to this and of course thank you for informing us here on DT.

wobbled

18 Jul 2017, 11:14

Will those that have paid for a low serial number have their boards first regardless of their location?

Ludovician

18 Jul 2017, 12:57

On a related note, if I ordered with a custom serial number but not an especially low one, do I get mine sent out according to serial number or is it between the lows and the regulars?

Ellipse

18 Jul 2017, 13:00

Yes wobbled - the low/custom serial ones will be pulled first for testing and shipping. Yes it will be sent out earlier even if it's a high custom serial.

Ludovician

18 Jul 2017, 15:17

Since it looks like the black-on-black keycaps are going to happen, do I need to order them by the end of July to have them combined with the rest of my order?

Hypersphere

19 Jul 2017, 01:18

@Ellipse: As far as I am concerned, I don't mind waiting in order to get the final product as good as it can be, according to your specifications. Given the relatively high cost of these keyboards, I think most of us would not be interested in cutting corners in order to meet an arbitrary deadline. In the meantime, I will muddle through with my inferior keyboards. ;-)

Ellipse

20 Jul 2017, 05:25

Ludovician since they are likely to ship separately there is no rush to get them in. I don't want these extra sets to cause delays in getting out the orders. I still have to get pricing confirmed - everyone interested in the black dye sub legends on dark gray XT quality keys, please register your interest on the other thread: group-buys-f50/black-on-black-pbt-dyesu ... 16945.html

yac

21 Jul 2017, 22:45

I recently branched out on my own, so Joe's new F will replace my F XT keyboard(1985, lightly used, had since new, Nordic layout) currently in service in my basement office. Office space is at a premium here in Stockholm, so almost everyone i know are in open landscapes. The business types i work with tend to not see the musicality and satisfaction of using a buckling-spring keyboard, or other similarily "assertive" input device, and besides the full-size F77 is meant to stay put, methinks.

Might take it along to some code nights/engineering meetups however!

Return to “Group buys”