Phantom Custom Keyboard Group Buy (CLOSED)

off

17 Apr 2012, 04:38

behold. The Light.

Thanks for taking care of cleaning duties, almost honoured to have sparked the birth of a dedicated cleaning agent. Almost. :roll:

gimpster

17 Apr 2012, 05:37

Now that we're back to normal operating temperature, can anyone point me in a direction to find nice cases for my Phantoms? I'm seriously starting to get worried...the two guys who've shown interest in making nice aluminum ones have run into delays (understandable delays) and I'm concerned I might not have any shell to house my projects when they arrive...to make matters worse, Vortex seems to have forgotten that they promised TKL cases by last month... :|

rille

17 Apr 2012, 10:50

Are the layout files for the PCB and mounting plate available? So I could order it by myself.

dirge

17 Apr 2012, 11:14

I think when the phantoms arrive people will homebrew cases, I plan to give it a try.

There is the clear acrylic case group buy on geekhack which looks like it will fit. Some on Deskthority are getting sample cases but won't be able to verify as only litster and Bini have phantoms at the moment.

gimpster

17 Apr 2012, 16:36

dirge wrote:I think when the phantoms arrive people will homebrew cases, I plan to give it a try.

There is the clear acrylic case group buy on geekhack which looks like it will fit. Some on Deskthority are getting sample cases but won't be able to verify as only litster and Bini have phantoms at the moment.
Yah, I saw the "knock-offs" but the quality on them just doesn't impress me. Maybe it's the photos but they don't look anywhere as nice as litster's.

off

17 Apr 2012, 20:49

If referring to the 'copycat', well they don't cost anywhere near litster's either.
Agreed though, litster's colour combo's and crystal clear pictures are very nice.

gimpster

17 Apr 2012, 23:46

off wrote:If referring to the 'copycat', well they don't cost anywhere near litster's either.
Agreed though, litster's colour combo's and crystal clear pictures are very nice.
Yah, I know...but this Phantom is already running into the $300-400 range, so what's another $50-100 for a case befitting such a project?

off

18 Apr 2012, 00:38

Did I miss out on an awesome deal?! Afaik litster's cases are just a tad more expensive* as that ;)
*better 'costly' since you get what you pay for

gimpster

18 Apr 2012, 01:15

The "copycat" versions are priced at $105 shipped: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?2950 ... -4-15-2012

Litster's version was $150 + shipping: http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... t1804.html

That's the $50-100 difference in price I was referring to.

As of right now, my best hope is for Swede's case, which is currently expected to come in between $175-225 and built like a tank. He's just hit a few speed bumps in the design and has got busy with school again, so it's been a little slow going. http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... t2164.html

litster

18 Apr 2012, 01:25

Mine was $165 shipped worldwide. I am really hoping Swede will come through. I tried to help him a little with dimensions and pictures so I really want to see it come to fruition. :-)

off

18 Apr 2012, 01:52

that explains it.
I thought that the copy, perhaps another very similar acrylic one (not gonna search, need my money here, not spent), was around 20-30$, through taobao. Clearly mixed up.
A shame that the massproduced one got to be so near the price of litster's, kinda kills the charm imho.
OT:
Spoiler:
and yes.. phantom. sigh.
vTLDRv; welcome to geekhackdeskthority. sorry about your wallet.
I went into the switchbuy and (kinda luckily) just missed the other parts, just to test some switches before buying a nice not too expensive board of my then preferred switch. Then added some more switches to fit an entire tkl.
Then realised making a plate will cost quite something (going staggered), and that it might be challenging to keep it all steady without a pcb (so I could rewire on the fly). Realised making a nice case would be a challenge. Realised I fubared my AT101w with too many experimental tweaks. Realised I wanted needed a better and functional board now, not after may; and that building this would take a while. Didn't stop looking at the forums and drooling over boards. Ordered moogles, and extra doubleshots; and mx11800's. Got offered an M2.
Queue now, awaiting orders, still looking at these forums, still drooling, still typing on an 101, feeling sorry for what I've done to my wallet, and for what I will do to it.

gimpster

18 Apr 2012, 03:36

Just be glad you've only discovered ONE switch type to fall for...I just ordered ANOTHER Realforce...that makes 3 in the last year... *facepalm* It's just too pretty to say "no".

http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... t1592.html

And honestly, if I saw an 86U for a good price, I'd give that beauty a new home, too. Can we setup a group buy on therapy sessions? :roll:

off

18 Apr 2012, 11:50

I didn't, I'm yearning for smk/blue alps, and clicky whites are worth trying apparently. And fukka's. And even xm's. and realforce seems -woops, gotta go, session is starting-

edit: well that was quick. She said I should just let go of wanting more. Seems buddhist. :lol:
Anyway, as I was saying, come in for one board, convert to collector. Reminds me of head-fi.
Enthusiast communities, helping your cash flow.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

21 Apr 2012, 12:37

Interesting idea this, but I'd really be interested in seeing a plate with a more HHKB-like layout.

Out of curiosity, if you used PCB mounting instead of plate mounting, would that make the layout options more flexible? I guess the logic may have been to ensure compatibility with Filco cases, but if people were making their own ones...

gimpster

21 Apr 2012, 15:44

daedalus wrote:Interesting idea this, but I'd really be interested in seeing a plate with a more HHKB-like layout.

Out of curiosity, if you used PCB mounting instead of plate mounting, would that make the layout options more flexible? I guess the logic may have been to ensure compatibility with Filco cases, but if people were making their own ones...
I think the logic is that plate-mounted feels more solid to type on. :)

The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

21 Apr 2012, 19:36

I don't like typing on plate-mounted switches. They have a hard bottom-out compared to the soft bottom-out of PCB-mounted switches. Just my 2cents.

tsangan

22 Apr 2012, 17:06

The_Ed wrote:I don't like typing on plate-mounted switches. They have a hard bottom-out compared to the soft bottom-out of PCB-mounted switches. Just my 2cents.
go make a PCB mounted custom keyboard then :idea:

sixty
Gasbag Guru

23 Apr 2012, 03:12

When are the PCBs shipping to Europe btw?

BiNiaRiS

23 Apr 2012, 09:53

sixty wrote:When are the PCBs shipping to Europe btw?
soon. waiting on plates and some components.

Findecanor

23 Apr 2012, 14:19

daedalus wrote:Out of curiosity, if you used PCB mounting instead of plate mounting, would that make the layout options more flexible?
No, the opposite. A PCB-mounted switch needs four more holes through the PCB, and those holes take space. There is only one Phantom PCB design for both ISO and ANSI, with windows keys and without, plus 7-bit's special layout. That would not have been possible with PCB-mounted switches.

Edit: Thanks 7bit!
Last edited by Findecanor on 02 May 2012, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

Tarkoon

23 Apr 2012, 14:26

Findecanor wrote:A plate mounted switch needs four more holes through the PCB
???

7bit

23 Apr 2012, 14:28

Tarkoon wrote:
Findecanor wrote:A PCB mounted switch needs four more holes through the PCB
!!!
fixed that.

Tarkoon

23 Apr 2012, 14:33

Nr.1 fixed, ok, but let's go on: "four more" ???
Fix: (http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/switches/key/mx.htm) = "two more"

telge

02 May 2012, 12:35

Any updates on this? Am I the only one with a bad patience when waiting for keyboards? x)

gimpster

02 May 2012, 16:16

telge wrote:Any updates on this? Am I the only one with a bad patience when waiting for keyboards? x)
Lucky for you, we're just waiting on keyboard parts. :mrgreen:

litster

02 May 2012, 19:55

A quick update. 7bit should be receiving the rest of the switches in 2 to 3 weeks. Electronic parts should be arriving at BiNiaRiS this week. And he is still working on the plates.

HzFaq

02 May 2012, 19:57

Did I read somewhere that the plates are being anodised or was that just talk?

telge

05 May 2012, 21:39

btw at the beginning of this group buy wasn't there offered a custom key with the Phantom Logo? I for one think that would be cool, could have a separate GB for a DS Phantom key otherwise?

rindorbrot

05 May 2012, 21:51

It is available at 7bit's Round4 but you have to hurry,it's closing soon.

litster

15 Jun 2012, 19:45

Update! Parts on BiNiaRiS' side are all procured and received. BiNiaRiS was able to get the plates anodized in black without additional cost, which is pretty amazing! Kudos to BiNi! There is still a lot of sorting work to do.

We still have to figure out how to get parts shipped across the pond.

Return to “Group buys”