F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

wobbled

10 Oct 2020, 00:44

Smart move putting those beamsprings on the bottom, wouldn't want them to drop through the floor into the earth and causing a sinkhole.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

10 Oct 2020, 08:45

darkcruix wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 00:38
Just recently built the below and I can tell you ... I had to add massive screw anchors into the wall ....
IMG_3755.jpeg
Wonderful presentation, what's that beamspring under the towel? :P

darkcruix

10 Oct 2020, 08:54

Redmaus wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 08:45
darkcruix wrote:
Just recently built the below and I can tell you ... I had to add massive screw anchors into the wall ....
IMG_3755.jpeg
Wonderful presentation, what's that beamspring under the towel? :P
5251 - it is just to protect it from dust.

BucklingSprings

15 Oct 2020, 16:32

darkcruix wrote:
... keyboards from a time where IBM was all about "excellence without compromise".
I think that back then, IBM was still deeply rooted in mechanical engineering
above anything else.

I have seen YouTube videos of people taken apart old IBM mainframes. The
sheer mechanical build quality of these systems just blows me away. No expense
spared. $50 for a custom machined hunk of aluminum to hold the (giant) CPU in place?
No problem - cost accepted.

So much of modern production is only geared towards shaving off as much cost as
possible while still leaving the product "usable" and "acceptable" (to the "uninitiated" - that is).

It seems that Ellipse is one of these few islands left where quality and serviceability
is on equal footing (or better) as cost is.

consensual-penis

16 Oct 2020, 00:04

So I decided to lube wire for the spacebar on my f62 with some 205g0, the result is pretty amazing to me. I know that the pingyness kind of comes with the board, but I was wondering if there was something I could do to reduce it a bit? are there any other areas that might benefit benefit from lube?

Meowmaritus

16 Oct 2020, 01:39

Any idea what the ETA is for extremely late orders, like mine (October 9th, 2020)?

Ellipse

16 Oct 2020, 17:37

Regarding fine tuning the Model F sound please check out the project manual on modelfkeyboards.com/manual for an overview of various mods.

Meowmaritus please do check out the project web site blog for details on the shipping timeline and status. Last month we passed 500 Brand New Model F Keyboards that have shipped so far! In summary:

With the separate shipping option (pay 10 units of $1 increments, more for shipping outside the US - PM or email me to confirm), all classic case keyboards, except True Red and Black, are in stock and can likely ship in 3-6 weeks without the low serial selection (2-3 weeks if you check the low serial/priority check box on the keyboard product page). Same for black case ultra compact F77, ANSI layout only, and regular gray case ultra compact F62, ANSI enter or HHKB split shift with 2U backspace. Unprinted pearl/pebble keys are also in stock, though all other unprinted keys and printed keys will be shipping separately, expected later this year.

For all other options, if you order now it will take several months for delivery. The second container shipment is expected to arrive later this year, by year end.

If you wait a few months until it is in stock, it will take a few months from that point for delivery because of the new orders increasing the backlog between now and then.

Scarpia

16 Oct 2020, 20:46

consensual-penis wrote:
So I decided to lube wire for the spacebar on my f62 with some 205g0, the result is pretty amazing to me. I know that the pingyness kind of comes with the board, but I was wondering if there was something I could do to reduce it a bit? are there any other areas that might benefit benefit from lube?
I can recommend doing a floss mod - reduces the pinging a ton. Get the correct type of floss and be a bit exacting getting the lengths consistent, and you’ll get a fantastic sounding keyboard.

consensual-penis

17 Oct 2020, 03:28

Scarpia wrote:
consensual-penis wrote:
I can recommend doing a floss mod - reduces the pinging a ton. Get the correct type of floss and be a bit exacting getting the lengths consistent, and you’ll get a fantastic sounding keyboard.
I looked at some of the links, I can only find a minty version of the floss, so my search isn't going very well

Scarpia

17 Oct 2020, 09:10

consensual-penis wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 03:28
Scarpia wrote:
I looked at some of the links, I can only find a minty version of the floss, so my search isn't going very well
Minty or not shouldn’t matter as long as it is the Super Floss kind with the stiffer part.

Ellipse

17 Oct 2020, 16:37

Has anyone customized their new Model F F62 / F77 layouts beyond the standard offerings? I'd be interested in seeing what people do to optimize their keyboards.

Please do feel free to share layout screenshots / QMK JSON files / xwhatsit firmware .l files - for the latter two I think they should be compressed to ZIP format before they can be uploaded on the forum.

pandrew

Yesterday, 05:13

To all QMK beta testers:

I have doubled the Model F threshold offset from 12 to 24.
I expect this to be an overall better value. (a few people had to have this modification applied locally)
Everybody, please upgrade to the new firmware version, and let me know in a PM if everything still works reliably.
I don't expect any issues, but if there are any I would like to know as soon as possible.
A few more changes are:
* Switched by default to per-key debouncing
* Bumped the number of threshold bins from 3 to 5
* There is now some support for mods that enable locklights, PM me for details.

darkcruix

Yesterday, 11:05

Flashed my primary keyboard an hour ago (F62). So far all is working great

Ellipse

Today, 06:40

The first trial of the full key set dye sublimation was just completed. The keys were sublimated but the results were not on par with previous tests, so they will be doing further testing before mass sublimation can start.

The legend alignment is improved from prior tests but is still not within my tolerances.

Below is the same scan posted earlier of the newly sublimated keys compared with original IBM keys. I have also added scans from many years ago of the same physical keys so everyone can see what four years of typing does to wear down the key top surfaces. As the textured surface wears down, the keys can become more smooth/slippery.

I expect the same to occur with the new production keys as they are the exact same material that IBM used for keys as per the IBM Model F Keyboard production engineer who has been a big help to the project. This is why I am hoping to be able to make as many spare key sets as possible so people can order them with their keyboards and have for future decades.

To see the texture it is best to save the photo or open the image in a new window to zoom in.
texture comparison - new production, original 6110344 Jun 1984 keys, same keys after 4 years - Copy - Copy.jpg
texture comparison - new production, original 6110344 Jun 1984 keys, same keys after 4 years - Copy - Copy.jpg (682.29 KiB) Viewed 44 times
texture comparison - new production, original 6110344 Jun 1984 keys, same keys after 4 years - Copy.jpg
texture comparison - new production, original 6110344 Jun 1984 keys, same keys after 4 years - Copy.jpg (724.91 KiB) Viewed 44 times
texture comparison - new production, original 6110344 Jun 1984 keys, same keys after 4 years.jpg
texture comparison - new production, original 6110344 Jun 1984 keys, same keys after 4 years.jpg (4.67 MiB) Viewed 48 times

Return to “Group buys”