F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

User avatar
thefarside

30 Mar 2024, 12:48

Model F keyboards was referenced in an article discussing a new 8BitDo keyboard:
Customers willing to spend extra money on a more varied selection of sturdier keyboards (or those who can't give up a number pad) might want to shop at Model F Labs. The project offers accurately reproduced IBM Model F keyboards in multiple form factors.
https://www.techspot.com/news/102437-8b ... board.html

Ellipse

30 Mar 2024, 19:48

thefarside thanks for sharing that link!

User avatar
Ir0n

31 Mar 2024, 14:37

Did those black keycaps with white printing ever go any where?

I haven't been on the forums in a hot minute.

RedESC

31 Mar 2024, 18:31

Ir0n wrote:
31 Mar 2024, 14:37
Did those black keycaps with white printing ever go any where?

I haven't been on the forums in a hot minute.
Think latest on that is Ellipse posting about pad printing on previous page. From my understanding the pad printing is for the black keys where dyesub doesn't really work.

Ellipse

02 Apr 2024, 02:23

Yes, they are finishing up the pad print tooling which has taken far longer than expected.

Ellipse

02 Apr 2024, 05:05

Project update:

I have just approved production of the final part, the cases, one year and a day after the official announcement of the project on 3/31/23.

The factory estimates that production and final assembly of completed inner assemblies into the cases will be completed by early May now that the cases have been approved. If they can pack everything on the container shipment by mid to late May, then by July these could start going out.

After spending many months, the factory has achieved an excellent match both to the IBM Model F original 4704 and IBM beam spring off-white/beige color as well as to my reference IBM Industrial Model M industrial gray case color. As mentioned earlier, the texture will be a smoother, slightly more modern one, much less bumpy than the (also nice) 4704 keyboard texture.

These same colors were also approved for the beam spring cases, which is why the beige color was a compromise since the IBM beige color varied noticeably among the different powdercoated Model F keyboards and beam spring keyboards in my collection.

From top to bottom: Top photo: NOS F50 (I plan on listing this for sale soon - please PM or email me if interested), approved off-white/beige sample F122 case (sample inner assembly plate not painted), IBM original beam spring keyboard. Bottom photo: approved industrial gray sample case, NOS IBM Industrial Gray Model M case.
2024-04-01_22-29-44.jpg
2024-04-01_22-29-44.jpg (2.29 MiB) Viewed 2276 times
2024-04-01_22-33-35.jpg
2024-04-01_22-33-35.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 2276 times

RedESC

02 Apr 2024, 14:55

Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed I can get one of these in time for my birthday. lol

Ellipse

02 Apr 2024, 20:14

reddit member Grianaig has posted a nice update including photos showing the classic case F62 being setup and the finished product as well. I especially like the photo of the keyboard during the keycap installation process, properly oriented vertically, spacebar end up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/modelf/comment ... _pictures/

minimal

02 Apr 2024, 23:16

Oh man, those are gorgeous! Thanks for the update and let me just put this out there: attention to detail is everything in a niche project like this. I don’t mind the wait when the results are this good.

Ellipse

03 Apr 2024, 06:39

I have just approved production and assembly of the F122 inner assembly, so now the F122 can proceed to completion.

Below are the first photos of the approved F122 keyboard!

The F122 was a trickier PCB design. Once again a big thanks to forum member wcass (the designer of the PCBs for the capacitive projects) for this huge undertaking. There was an issue where a via was too close to a key pad, which resulted in a higher signal level only for that key. wcass updated the PCB by moving the via away from the key and rearranging some of the column ordering to facilitate placement of that via.

Rico expects to have a firmware update ready in the next few days but testing with the old firmware and my testing has shown no issues with some keys being high value. Rico also came up with a workaround to add a bin for such keys, just in case the PCB could not be adjusted to put the outlier key in line with the other keys' signals.
2024-04-02_22-51-34.jpg
2024-04-02_22-51-34.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 1910 times
2024-04-02_22-50-03.jpg
2024-04-02_22-50-03.jpg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 1910 times
2024-04-02_22-50-11.jpg
2024-04-02_22-50-11.jpg (2.85 MiB) Viewed 1910 times
2024-04-02_22-50-27.jpg
2024-04-02_22-50-27.jpg (2.82 MiB) Viewed 1910 times
2024-04-02_22-59-26.jpg
2024-04-02_22-59-26.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 1910 times

RedESC

03 Apr 2024, 12:33

NGL, makes me tempted to order another case in this colour so I can switch to the classic look if I wanted. Currently just got black orderd.

User avatar
thefarside

04 Apr 2024, 14:02

The cases look great!

Btw Model F Labs was mentioned in an Ars Technica about the new Windows copilot key:
The 122-key keyboard layout with F23 lives on. Beyond people who still swear by old Model F and M keyboards, Model F Labs and Unicomp both currently sell modern buckling spring keyboards with built-in F23 buttons. Another reason a modern Windows PC user might have access to an F23 key is if they use a macro pad.
It sounds like Microsoft is assigning their AI key to F23.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/04 ... ist-shows/

RedESC

05 Apr 2024, 16:51

RedESC wrote:
03 Apr 2024, 12:33
NGL, makes me tempted to order another case in this colour so I can switch to the classic look if I wanted. Currently just got black orderd.
On that note. Postage for this is kinda expensive to order is as a another order. If I wanted to add on another case and maybe some more keys would there be any way to add it to the main shipment? (to avoid paying the massive postage to UK twice)

Ellipse

06 Apr 2024, 04:24

Yes, to add to an order you can place a new order and choose free/other shipping at checkout, right before clicking Place Order.

thefarside thanks for sharing this link. Glad to see the new F122 being mentioned!

RedESC

08 Apr 2024, 00:41

Ellipse wrote:
03 Apr 2024, 06:39
I have just approved production and assembly of the F122 inner assembly, so now the F122 can proceed to completion.

Below are the first photos of the approved F122 keyboard!

The F122 was a trickier PCB design. Once again a big thanks to forum member wcass (the designer of the PCBs for the capacitive projects) for this huge undertaking. There was an issue where a via was too close to a key pad, which resulted in a higher signal level only for that key. wcass updated the PCB by moving the via away from the key and rearranging some of the column ordering to facilitate placement of that via.

Rico expects to have a firmware update ready in the next few days but testing with the old firmware and my testing has shown no issues with some keys being high value. Rico also came up with a workaround to add a bin for such keys, just in case the PCB could not be adjusted to put the outlier key in line with the other keys' signals.
2024-04-02_22-51-34.jpg
2024-04-02_22-50-03.jpg
2024-04-02_22-50-11.jpg
2024-04-02_22-50-27.jpg
2024-04-02_22-59-26.jpg
Forgot to ask, now that you got it fully assembled how heavy is the finished product?

Ellipse

08 Apr 2024, 02:05

Nice seeing everyone at yesterday's NYC meetup! The meetup was completely sold out and over 150 people attended. I brought the approved Classic F104, Classic F77, and Round 2 beam spring keyboard for everyone to try out.

genericusername57

08 Apr 2024, 14:18

Ellipse wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 02:05
Nice seeing everyone at yesterday's NYC meetup! The meetup was completely sold out and over 150 people attended. I brought the approved Classic F104, Classic F77, and Round 2 beam spring keyboard for everyone to try out.
Any more pictures or videos of the R2 beam spring board available?

Ellipse

08 Apr 2024, 18:30

Yes, I have just posted some on the beam spring thread.

Ellipse

13 Apr 2024, 00:49

Someone let me know that the New Model F project was mentioned in the Shift Happens book on keyboards! This is a very interesting project to document the various keyboards that have been made.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mw ... ft-happens

User avatar
depletedvespene

14 Apr 2024, 13:29

thefarside wrote:
04 Apr 2024, 14:02
The cases look great!

Btw Model F Labs was mentioned in an Ars Technica about the new Windows copilot key:
The 122-key keyboard layout with F23 lives on. Beyond people who still swear by old Model F and M keyboards, Model F Labs and Unicomp both currently sell modern buckling spring keyboards with built-in F23 buttons. Another reason a modern Windows PC user might have access to an F23 key is if they use a macro pad.
It sounds like Microsoft is assigning their AI key to F23.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/04 ... ist-shows/
The article mentions how that "Copilot" key is remappable. GOOD THING, because they took RCTRL out to put that useless gimmick in?! Microsoft needs a very stern talking to.

Sadly, the guide the article points to explains how to remap this atrocity by pointing to... AutoHotKey. :? So, not actually remappable by itself.

Post Reply

Return to “Group buys”