GMK / Cherry doubleshot modifier packs (complete?)

inlikeflynn

24 Jan 2013, 05:54

metafour wrote:
DanGWanG wrote:At quite the markup too!
What you talking about Willis?! Typical retail markup is 100% ...

(That's 2x cost)
so 100% mark up and US-ANSI only or typically group buy mark up of maybe 10-20% and get something which can fit almost everyone's board :(

metafour

24 Jan 2013, 06:20

inlikeflynn wrote:
metafour wrote:
DanGWanG wrote:At quite the markup too!
What you talking about Willis?! Typical retail markup is 100% ...

(That's 2x cost)
so 100% mark up and US-ANSI only or typically group buy mark up of maybe 10-20% and get something which can fit almost everyone's board :(
I've always been of the mindset of paying a little extra to include keys that I may never use. Every time I've suggested it in a GB in the past it was shot down. As to the 100% markup bit, "this is just the basics of business." Either you understand it or you keep the commentary to yourself, suckas!!!

rodtang

24 Jan 2013, 07:26

If that is our "competition" we could include the euro kit (61 keys) and it should be around that price maybe even a bit less, couldn't we?

dirge

24 Jan 2013, 08:19

I can't say how happy I am that Lysols the one dealing with this. We wouldn't be getting a look in if he wasn't.
If the set was a full combined one. Could you get that price as well as the base?

korne

24 Jan 2013, 08:23

Totally agree with roadtang + dirge.

130usd + shipping + taxes? fuck thats crazy

jabar

24 Jan 2013, 08:30

I would happily buy extra ISO/EU keycaps for my ANSI keyboards.

Not to mention, the $58 Sanctuary base set is now $90 plus shipping.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

24 Jan 2013, 09:42

Since they (originative) have to import the keys to the US from Germany and thus pay import taxes, wouldn't it be much cheaper to have them distributed from Europe in our GB? at least to all the euro folks.

But great new, we now know that there is a DS win key :lol:

fruktstund

24 Jan 2013, 10:03

$130 seems like a very reasonable price to me, from a reseller point of view, since you do need to make a bit on the stuff you sell. From a customer point of view though, $130 is damn expensive, especially if you live outside the US and will have to pay shipping and taxes for it. For example, if I myself would order a set and it would get stuck in customs, the price would be more than $160, and then I haven't even taken the shipping costs into account!

Of course, every customer probably has a definition of what's a reasonable price for a set of key caps, so some people will think $130 is cheap, and some will think it's expensive. For me personally $130 would've seemed like an okay price for a brand new set of Dolch keycaps (this is what I can relate to the most, so I'm using this as an example), at least before the whole GMK hype, but when I know I could've gotten it for $50 less I wouldn't think of $130 as such a good price anymore, even if I was in a hurry for a set of keycaps. Please note that this is just my personal view of things. I also have a hard time understanding why some people can't seem to wait a couple of months for a keycap set, but that's also maybe only me. :)

One thing I don't like is trying to justify an expensive price by explaining the fact that resellers need to make money; it doesn't change the fact that it's expensive. It explains why of course, but for a customer that's maybe not that important.

And I'm not even taking the way ISO users get left out into consideration here. ;)

Another thing worth thinking about is that it's probably pretty hard to sell 400 ANSI sets for $130 each to a quite saturated keyboard market... So it's probably quite a lot of risk taking going on here too. I guess this is one of the reasons I don't do this kind of business myself, and leave everything to group buys. :D
Last edited by fruktstund on 24 Jan 2013, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.

BimboBB

24 Jan 2013, 10:08

Thanks for nothing Mr Sherryton! :evil:

I hope this guy will get very rich, very soon and just leave the keyboard stuff. So everybody will be happy and is getting what he wants. :)

dirge

24 Jan 2013, 10:11

Yes keeping it within the EU or even Germany itself may be cheaper and quicker?

If the ISO fans pledged to buy two sets each what would that do to the numbers?

It's a shame that sheraton has kinda fucked all hope of meeting demand for us. I can't help but think that the reason the factory's busy is the fact everyones just discovered it and trying to get in first to cover the geekhack feeding frenzy...

Bet he's got a shitload of preorders.... I mean a short left shift in the fucking rgb set wouldn't have been a hardship would it?

korne

24 Jan 2013, 10:44

130$ is 50$ profit x 400MOQ = 20.000$ on a single transaction. Nice bussines, but we are a comunity right?

They only wan't to make money, the companies listen the customers (except in USA it seems), the customers demand ANSI, ISO etc, they only care about the fresh and rapid money.

I think we should skip resellers or vendors if they still try to get that HUGE profit.

phetto
Elite

24 Jan 2013, 10:50

The thing is, sherryton is a part of the community, but his business is just supplying with the demand..
You dont need to get upset, I think lysol will bring us fantastic stuff soon enough. :)

mintberryminuscrunch

24 Jan 2013, 11:03

I just realised I have more than enough key caps

pasph

24 Jan 2013, 11:06

Now is $95, no way someone will do a favor to ISO people getting a bunch of useless caps for the same price

kbdfr
The Tiproman

24 Jan 2013, 11:40

I sincerely hope those ANSI guys not caring to take us Europeans on board will miss their MOQ because we're not on board.

Next thing I will be considering is a group buy for a European "mini moogle kit" including two Control caps in all European languages, one Alt cap and one AltGr cap. What do we need a second Alt cap? :evil:

tinnie

24 Jan 2013, 11:44

Lets see the quotation i asked from GMK

P.S. im a ISO guy.
Attachments
prices3.JPG
prices3.JPG (46.04 KiB) Viewed 5932 times
prices2.JPG
prices2.JPG (35.84 KiB) Viewed 5932 times
prices1.JPG
prices1.JPG (44.29 KiB) Viewed 5932 times

GeorgeK

24 Jan 2013, 12:30

Ouch - wouldn't like to be the person sorting 400+ sets

Jmneuv

24 Jan 2013, 12:40

ahh man capitalism strikes at GH :/

mintberryminuscrunch

24 Jan 2013, 13:28

Jmneuv wrote:ahh man capitalism strikes at GH :/
Where have you been the last year?

guilleguillaume

24 Jan 2013, 15:33

I'm just thinking about that guy that purchased a double-shot Olivetti set for 400$ :roll:

By the way he didn't even include RShift 1.75 :roll:
mintberryminuscrunch wrote:
Jmneuv wrote:ahh man capitalism strikes at GH :/
Where have you been the last year?

Geekhack
is just a new market to make money. Since some people started organising GB for profit everything has gone wild.

I blame that new wave of users coming from those other international forums...

pasph

24 Jan 2013, 16:10

In the next sets sherryton will include the iso kit
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=395 ... #msg776376
Amen

guilleguillaume

24 Jan 2013, 16:57

We don't need ISO kit, we need our languages.

With this he is just killing our chances to get our GB done. If he will be supplying ANSI sets in different colours they just won't be interested in the GB Lysol is organising anymore.

I bet next set he is purchasing from GMK is Dolch...

pasph

24 Jan 2013, 17:01

that's why i said amen

pasph

24 Jan 2013, 17:04

The only gb i see feasible is one for backlit kb, with all this gamers & razers all around

IvanIvanovich

24 Jan 2013, 17:28

I still want to keep groupbuy moving on. Don't loose hope.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

24 Jan 2013, 17:36

Might end up that we have to buy language/iso pack and combine them with what is already on the marked. But we'll see, there is still a big interest and i bet a lot of people still want to save a bit of cash by going the GB way. This might also be a great opportunity to make a group buy for the Handarbeit set, since it will not be available from retail :roll:

maxmalkav
dye hard

24 Jan 2013, 18:59

lysol wrote:I still want to keep groupbuy moving on. Don't loose hope.
We should go on with the GB just for divine justice. And people should be supportive and bet for the community option. If I buy a GMK set, it will be from a GB, for me it's the only ethical option.

Jmneuv

24 Jan 2013, 19:06

i feel the same way;

still seems a bit whacky what the other guy is doing with his store, wonder if ppl will actually get their overpriced goods;

RC-1140

24 Jan 2013, 19:19

This is really f*cked up.

I mean, basically I don't really care about the language, as I type Neo anyway, but having it in DE or DK is a must for me. And I would be more than willing to buy a set which includes all the language options, to make it cheaper for everyone. Sh*t, I mean, if I could/can afford it I might even buy two, only to help reach the MOQ.

This whole profit thing really pi**es me of, and makes me even happier I left Geekhack long ago (at least it feels long to me).

Please pardon my colorful language, this is just something I'm really angry about, and I guess I've been watching Dexter too much (Debra's language seems to have influenced mine more than I wanted to).

guilleguillaume

24 Jan 2013, 19:27

I just can't believe what I'm reading here: Grand opening

I won't even post in there because I'm sure Demik will just try to punch me in the face trough his monitor :lol:

I'm still interested in the GB and I would like it to happen.

Return to “Group buys”