[IC] GMK Carbon

Tombery

16 Apr 2016, 08:58

Sankart wrote: Are you sure about that last part?
mohitgarg in the MD discussion
Just got message that MassDrop did manage to work out with GMK to produce all the kits that were on offer.
For me that doesn't sound like MD just bought a bunch of spare kits, but actually got GMK to lower the MOQ (maybe not to 47, but I find it hard to beliefe that MD would buy 103 Modkits, when only 47 were ordered in the actual drop).
Interesting. I did not read the comments of the drop but thanks for the info, i appreciate it. Indeed if GMK can lower moq i may consider intrduce some child deals. If they offer moq of 25 i can also introduce nordic/german/uk kit. Until now they offered me only moq of 150 and 250.
Sankart wrote:
The only thing those keysets share are orange color but not the shades and color way.
I didn't want to say that this kit isn't special, but there are some similarities which could have a negative impact on the amount of sold kits of this drop. I think GMK Carbon is really, really nice and it would be a pitty if it failed, or even just doesn't get the attention it deserves, due to poor timing.
At no point I intended to belittle the work you put into this set, I just compared it to JTK Sophomore/GMK Skidata since it partly shares the Orange on Black/Dark Grey theme and I can imagine that some people have a problem shelling out GMK prices for sets that (partly) share the same theme, especially since neither Skidata nore JTK Sophomore have even shipped.
Right now i got ~2500 request for Carbon in SA profile. Its quite popular. The thing is, that not everyone likes SA Profile like i do. So GMK Carbon is for those, who dont like SA Profile but Carbon theme and colors. I am very pessimistic person but, due to the fact that carbon is very popular, i hardly doubt it will not tip.

Again the colors shade wise are not the same. Its not the same orange and gray as skidata. I dont even speak of alphas which have color of ivory/bones. I don't think that the majority of people out there are color blind.

We got Hack'd by Geeks before Carbon drop. They shared the same color theme (Gray/Orange). So pretty much the same circumstances. Still Carbon was very succesful.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

16 Apr 2016, 09:36

Have you checked the colors GMK offers?

Are they able to use different colors for this set from the Skidata+\Charres Orange sets?

If the orange/dark grey color codes are the same, only the alphas would be a real novelty. But again, is there a shade of beige here that is bone-beige? Or will we end up with classic beige alphas and skidata+ mixed mods?

If that's not the case, I remain highly interested.

kokokoy

16 Apr 2016, 09:44

I believe Tombery is targetting for 3 custom color for this set.

Tombery

16 Apr 2016, 09:55

Wodan wrote: Have you checked the colors GMK offers?

Are they able to use different colors for this set from the Skidata+\Charres Orange sets?

If the orange/dark grey color codes are the same, only the alphas would be a real novelty. But again, is there a shade of beige here that is bone-beige? Or will we end up with classic beige alphas and skidata+ mixed mods?

If that's not the case, I remain highly interested.
GMK Carbon will get its original colors. Carbon colors are not covered by GMK color palette, which mean all colors used in GMK Carbon are going to be custom colors.

Tombery

17 Apr 2016, 01:18

Got some new awesome GMK Carbon renders from Zambumon. First page has been updated with renders.

You can also vote for GMK Carbon on MD here: https://www.massdrop.com/vote/GMK-Carbon

Tombery

19 Apr 2016, 22:08

GMK Carbon is getting an extended Base kit, which includes all possible cherry layouts. First post has been updated.
Now i am working towards the final version. If you missing something or something is wrong just reply below.

The drop will start approx in 3 months, so if you are interessted you got some time ;)

Sankart

20 Apr 2016, 02:01

Shouldn't there be an Orange on Black Enter key as well? Personally I don't mind the extra color, but other people might. Also I'd like a R4 1u FN-key.

Tombery

20 Apr 2016, 17:41

Sankart wrote: Shouldn't there be an Orange on Black Enter key as well? Personally I don't mind the extra color, but other people might. Also I'd like a R4 1u FN-key.
Honestly i am considering it all the time (gray enter keys).

In regards of the R4 1u fn key, i will add it with the next update. Its probably the most asked key so far.

Tombery

20 Apr 2016, 22:46

Quick update.

Added r5 1u win keys (2x).
Added r4 1u fn key. (there is control and delete for hhkb dont know why people are always asking...)
Added r4 1u 0/del key (zz96 layout).
Corrected iso alpha colors.

Carbon has an unusual colorway (if you look at f row). It looks kind of weird on 1800 layout (see print/scroll/pause keys have orange color). I may change it to the traditional colorway or as alternative i can add print/scroll/pause keys in the proper color (grey).

JotaCe

21 Apr 2016, 01:40

I know that the chances are slim, but what about R3 1.75x Fn?
Everything else just perfect, but I'm missing that key on my layout :(

Tombery

23 Apr 2016, 23:53

Crosspost.

Base kit has been updated. (accordingly first page too)
Added beige |\ 1u key (required for hhkb)
Added row 4 1.5 control and alt keys (required nonwinkeyles for zz98, 1800, 75%)

Malenky

26 Apr 2016, 01:18

If this goes live, I'll end up with significantly more keysets than keyboards. Or more accurately, I'll be buying/building more boards to put them on.

photekq
Cherry Picker

26 Apr 2016, 01:21

I do still really wish that we could see regular modifier coloured replacements for the orange keys :(

Tombery

26 Apr 2016, 06:52

photekq wrote: I do still really wish that we could see regular modifier coloured replacements for the orange keys :(
I am considering this all the time too. If i do this, we shoot over 140$ for sure, because it will require 16 additional keys. I think i have to start a poll or something on gh. On the other hand i can understand you guys because you want just classic set without say "aggressive" or "unusual" colors. I'll calculate approx pricing for that addition. Basically i look into that :)

cookie

26 Apr 2016, 15:58

What material would it be?

photekq
Cherry Picker

26 Apr 2016, 16:18

Tombery wrote:
photekq wrote: I do still really wish that we could see regular modifier coloured replacements for the orange keys :(
I am considering this all the time too. If i do this, we shoot over 140$ for sure, because it will require 16 additional keys. I think i have to start a poll or something on gh. On the other hand i can understand you guys because you want just classic set without say "aggressive" or "unusual" colors. I'll calculate approx pricing for that addition. Basically i look into that :)
It's not so much the aggressive colour, it's the placement. I don't mind the enter key at all, as it seems to fit, but the other ones seem quite randomly placed to me and I don't like them at all.

I would definitely have to think hard about whether or not I want to purchase it if it remains as it is. I would only really be able to use it on a 60% because of my issues with those keys. If replacement grey keys were added I would certainly buy the set.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

26 Apr 2016, 17:40

I agree.

I should start by saying that I love Carbon, as does the Mrs. That is why I have full sets :)

But honestly, when it comes to GMK I really do prefer a more simplified look when it comes to sets. I know there is a point that you can't change aspects of the set because it wouldn't remain true to how you see it. But personally I'd love this set with the dark grey mods/orange legends, cream alphas, and the F row with cream and dark grey clusters, essentially making it a standard color layout set. Then a few orange keys could be added as extras.

For me, GMK is just a totally different beast than an SP set.

SL89

26 Apr 2016, 18:03

With GMK the overall trend for preference seems to be 'the devil is in the details' and keeping it subtle.

I quite like bold GMK sets but I can see why people would be turned off by it. I think this is why the GMK SNES set didnt hit MOQ.

Tombery

26 Apr 2016, 18:04

photekq wrote:
Tombery wrote:
It's not so much the aggressive colour, it's the placement. I don't mind the enter key at all, as it seems to fit, but the other ones seem quite randomly placed to me and I don't like them at all.

I would definitely have to think hard about whether or not I want to purchase it if it remains as it is. I would only really be able to use it on a 60% because of my issues with those keys. If replacement grey keys were added I would certainly buy the set.
In my previous posts i did mentioned that i am not happy with the colorway. Carbon colorway has its own logic which i can not explain you very well. So the orange key placements aren't actually random, but its not that important at this point.

The most important thing is, somehow nobody gives a single f*** for my concerns and suggestions (like with unusual colorway). But you do and i appreciate it very well. So here is my suggestion for GMK Carbon colorway, which i personally appreciate. It has the traditional/classic colorway. Ofcourse we can discuss the orange letters on the beige f keys. I can make those grey too.
I'll make the changes to the whole kit after we find the best solution for the colorway.
livingspeedbump wrote:
I agree.

I should start by saying that I love Carbon, as does the Mrs. That is why I have full sets :)

But honestly, when it comes to GMK I really do prefer a more simplified look when it comes to sets. I know there is a point that you can't change aspects of the set because it wouldn't remain true to how you see it. But personally I'd love this set with the dark grey mods/orange legends, cream alphas, and the F row with cream and dark grey clusters, essentially making it a standard color layout set. Then a few orange keys could be added as extras.

For me, GMK is just a totally different beast than an SP set.
Hey bud ;)

Its ok. See above the new colorway. The original Carbon colorway was actually designed only for tkl boards. So it looks best on tkl. When it comes to other profiles like 1800 or 75% the colorway breaks and it can only be fixed with child deals. However we are dealing here with GMK. So here (see above) is my suggestion for the solution.

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it :)

photekq
Cherry Picker

26 Apr 2016, 18:25

Looks good :)

For the F-keys I would suggest either.. F1-4/F9-12 in beige with grey legends, just like the alphas, or just the entire row with grey keys and orange legends. I think it looks more consistent.

Other than that it looks superb. Good work!

One other very, very small nitpicky thing.. Would you consider adding 2x Alt + 1x Alt Gr?

Tombery

26 Apr 2016, 18:55

photekq wrote: Looks good :)

For the F-keys I would suggest either.. F1-4/F9-12 in beige with grey legends, just like the alphas, or just the entire row with grey keys and orange legends. I think it looks more consistent.

Other than that it looks superb. Good work!

One other very, very small nitpicky thing.. Would you consider adding 2x Alt + 1x Alt Gr?
I'll change the f legends to grey one, so its going to be more consistent. Your suggestion with entire f row being grey is a good alternative. However if we consider it, i'd like to suggest then: F Row gray but F1-4/F9-12 beige legends and f5-8 orange legend.

For the Alt keys you suggest basically second Alt (non AltGr) key right? I'll look into that. I mean i have to calculate the approx pricing. But i think we are good.

Tombery

26 Apr 2016, 20:00

Ok here is the reworked base kit. First page has been updated.
Added row4 1u keys Win and Ctrl (optional layouts like zz96 or duck octagon)
Added row4 additional 1.25u Alt and 1.5u Alt (non AltGr).
Added row5 additional Alt (non AltGr)
The Colorway has been changed to classic one.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

26 Apr 2016, 22:53

What's the idea behind the single 1.5u R4 mods ? One Control, Alt and AltGr ?

Tombery

26 Apr 2016, 23:12

Wodan wrote: What's the idea behind the single 1.5u R4 mods ? One Control, Alt and AltGr ?
Boards like octagon or zz96 utilize variety of bottom rows. Basically all boards those arrow cluster is shifted to the left similar to 1800.

Here is an example of possible octagon bottom rows.

Its bad if you buy such board and you cant put your keyset on it, because your keyset has custom colors and you cant take keys from other sets.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

27 Apr 2016, 00:31

Tombery wrote: Ok here is the reworked base kit. First page has been updated.
I'm really liking this a whole lot! The only thing I'd recommend is standard/grey modifiers for the orange keys, for the people that want a slightly more subdued look. Still, this is a render that would sell the kit to me :) Especially with the new F Row.

misconceit

27 Apr 2016, 04:36

Tombery wrote: Ok here is the reworked base kit. First page has been updated.
I actually prefer the original F row, maybe we should start a poll on that?

Tombery

27 Apr 2016, 21:51

livingspeedbump wrote: I'm really liking this a whole lot! The only thing I'd recommend is standard/grey modifiers for the orange keys, for the people that want a slightly more subdued look. Still, this is a render that would sell the kit to me :) Especially with the new F Row.
misconceit wrote: I actually prefer the original F row, maybe we should start a poll on that?
Both Suggestions are legit but if we add those keys, then we are moving towards the 150$ mark. I mean i would love both suggestions being implemented, however i was aiming at 140$ per set. But nothing is set in stone right now and we got time.

Tombery

28 Apr 2016, 00:06

Updated renders from Zambumon :)

Sankart

28 Apr 2016, 02:17

I hate the fact that I prefer 60% keyboards. TKL just looks so much nicer with every keyset (except for DSA-profile ones, maybe) out there.
Well anyway, is there a chance to get an additional ESC key in the base kit? I feel like it would look really weird on a 60% with the orange ESC key.

EvrardPrime

28 Apr 2016, 13:50

I think this is beautiful, I'm building my two first keyboards so I would like two sets. What is the estimated price, and when would this be ready for purchase? I am new to this exciting world :o

Return to “Group buys”