SA Dasher & SA Dancer keycap sets (Completed)

zslane

04 Aug 2016, 03:22

It didn't quite hit 600, but it got close. Is that a good showing? I really have no feel for this sort of thing.

Will this motivate MassDrop to pick a spot in SP's manufacturing queue now? Probably not, but at least we have a concrete measure of the potential interest in this set in case anyone asks...

zslane

04 Aug 2016, 20:02

616 votes and a 95.5% approval rating. I'm gratified to see that "Both sets" got the highest vote count of all the options.

niomosy

05 Aug 2016, 19:44

Looks like some more votes bumped on. Now we get to play the waiting game with MassDrop some more. It would be helpful for MD to have some type of non-date-based scheduling info up. Though I can understand why they like to be secrative about things. I suppose as long as this one's on their list, it's a good start.

zslane

05 Aug 2016, 20:30

Only 5 more votes. (I'm subtracting the 17 votes for Overcast, which I think got mistakenly glommed onto the Dasher poll)

I guess we can say that SA Dasher is on MassDrop's list. I mean, the keyset manifest and all the promotional graphics I made are in their hands, but we really have no way of knowing if they ever intend to actually turn it into a drop someday. We're really just sort of assuming, aren't we?

niomosy

06 Aug 2016, 01:15

Right. Confirmation of, "you're on the list, date pending," would be helpful. It would be good if they were a bit more effective in communications. They started to for a bit then seem to have dropped off and been rather quiet.

n__dles

16 Aug 2016, 00:10

I voted on the MD poll, here's hoping it helps. I really appreciate this keyset both aesthetically and it's origin. I also agree with your politics, or rather I can't understand why people are so protective over colors.

zslane

16 Aug 2016, 01:56

Thank you. Every vote is appreciated, though I really don't know what impact the poll has, if any.

My prime concern at this point is that some other BLUE colorway will get started and gain enough momentum (somehow) to slip onto MassDrop's schedule before (or in place of) Dasher/Dancer. I really hope that doesn't happen.

hoq

16 Aug 2016, 04:55

hoq

16 Aug 2016, 05:03

“I don't know” is your pet phrase?

zslane

16 Aug 2016, 05:43

It's actually a gentle invitation to more informed individuals to chime in and, well, inform. To correct me where my assumptions are wrong, and to fill in details I am at a loss for.

chuckdee

16 Aug 2016, 18:10

hoq wrote: “I don't know” is your pet phrase?

zslane

16 Aug 2016, 21:05

The MassDrop poll has passed the 800 vote mark, with a 96% approval rating. Not bad!

c2lknt

17 Aug 2016, 15:45

I love Dasher/Dancer so I'd love to see it happen. Have you looked back to see how other produced sets did on those polls? How did Chcoolatier do, that's probably the one to go by, given that the others were either old sets redone (pulse) or second run sets (jukebox), or just a while ago so numbers might not look the same (carbon & jukebox r1).

zslane

17 Aug 2016, 20:32

I'm not sure what a comparison with Chocolatier would tell us.

First of all, the Chocolatier poll was/has been active a lot longer. Secondly, the Chocolatier set has the advantage of being a candy-themed set with some novelty caps, whereas Dasher/Dancer is just a simple vintage terminal colorway. Thirdly, Chocolatier offers more international and alternate layout options. I would expect the poll numbers to be substantially different between the two.

More revealing is the fact that Chocolatier was presented to MassDrop weeks (months?) after Dasher, and yet it was given Dasher's original (tentative) drop date. That, I feel, tells us a lot about MassDrop's feelings towards the two (comparatively speaking), regardless of what the polls might say.

niomosy

17 Aug 2016, 23:42

The polls don't seem to be all that useful or effective with regard to Massdrop and keycaps. Massdrop aren't always the best with regard to communication but things seem to have dropped off with the increased load they've got now with regard to mechanical keyboards and keycaps in particular.

zslane

18 Aug 2016, 00:15

niomosy wrote: ...things seem to have dropped off with the increased load they've got now with regard to mechanical keyboards and keycaps in particular.
That might be the case now, but not so much back in March. Things weren't as jammed up then as now, and had MassDrop elected to assign Dasher a slot in the queue back then, it would now be in the final hours of its drop instead of Chocolatier.

As a general rule, I prefer to go with MassDrop because they handle all the logistics and they reach the widest audience. The downside, of course, is that the keysets are entirely at their mercy. I don't mind that they don't like the set as much as all the others that get submitted to them (in fact, I sort of understand why), I just wish they weren't so circumspect about it.

niomosy

18 Aug 2016, 19:00

Yup, that's a bit of frustration, particularly when the info was submitted quite some time ago and MassDrop's been sitting on it. Hopefully they can follow up as they've left this one in limbo for too long a time.

niomosy

23 Aug 2016, 05:53

A bit of good news. https://www.massdrop.com/talk/411/polls-overhaul/500935

Looks like MassDrop has the sets slated for a December run.

Elrick

23 Aug 2016, 07:41

niomosy wrote: A bit of good news. https://www.massdrop.com/talk/411/polls-overhaul/500935

GREAT, time to now save up for another brilliant Key-set done in shades of delicious Blues :D .

niomosy

23 Aug 2016, 08:19

Elrick wrote:
niomosy wrote: A bit of good news. https://www.massdrop.com/talk/411/polls-overhaul/500935

GREAT, time to now save up for another brilliant Key-set done in shades of delicious Blues :D .
That sums up my thoughts rather well. It's nice to finally have some better information regarding this set from them.

zslane

23 Aug 2016, 17:24

Let's not get too excited just yet. The December time frame is still highly speculative. Frankly, tying this set to Christmas just because I made a bit of a pun with the use of Dancer for the inverse colorway still feels awkward to me, but I'll take any slot they give us. As soon as I have more concrete information, you'll all be the first to know.

niomosy

23 Aug 2016, 19:32

More info from MassDrop is definitely needed but a bit of good news via acknowledgement with a potential date seemed a bright spot for the buy given the silence otherwise. Hopefully MD can chime in with more official updates rather than a reply in what started as a general discussion on MD polls.

nateth

24 Aug 2016, 03:53

zslane wrote:Let's not get too excited just yet. The December time frame is still highly speculative. Frankly, tying this set to Christmas just because I made a bit of a pun with the use of Dancer for the inverse colorway still feels awkward to me, but I'll take any slot they give us. As soon as I have more concrete information, you'll all be the first to know.
Awkward? Yes, but holiday advertising/marketing is gimmicky and awkward. I had a lingering idea they might pull this given the name.

Watch them add a novelty set with red mods called Rudolph. And release a wooden artisan "sleigh" 60% case with engraved scrollwork on the sides.

niomosy

24 Aug 2016, 08:03

To be honest, the colorway isn't even a Christmas stretch these days. Plenty of blue/white decoration options.

zslane

02 Sep 2016, 20:19

The MassDrop poll crossed the 1000 vote threshold yesterday. It took 30 days to do that. That seems pretty respectable to me.

Elrick

05 Sep 2016, 07:58

zslane wrote: The MassDrop poll crossed the 1000 vote threshold yesterday. It took 30 days to do that. That seems pretty respectable to me.
Damn RIGHT 8-) .

The GOOD stuff always gets chosen by lots of people due their love of this Colour-way. Besides, there hasn't been a decent all Blue shades of key-caps done in a long time.

Blue is the colour of calm and refreshment, especially on a HOT dry day.

zslane

05 Sep 2016, 17:50

What other all-blue colorways have there been?

zslane

10 Oct 2016, 22:39

So I can report that SA Dasher/Dancer is officially on MassDrop's schedule for December, barring any unforseen changes in their plans. Save up your pennies!

khongthenhuvay

10 Oct 2016, 22:41

zslane wrote:So I can report that SA Dasher/Dancer is officially on MassDrop's schedule for December, barring any unforseen changes in their plans. Save up your pennies!
Congrats, bro!

Hypersphere

10 Oct 2016, 23:06

Excellent! Your persistence and patience paid off!

Return to “Group buys”