Phantom Custom Keyboard Group Buy (CLOSED)

Ekaros

04 Nov 2011, 16:48

Hmm, just thinking is Corsair stylish model with some sort of minimal sandwich casing possible? Not that I still have any cash ;D

sixty
Gasbag Guru

04 Nov 2011, 17:10

Guts, one wish:

Would it possible to have drilled holes for in-switch LEDs on capslock, scroll lock, numlock?
They do not even need to have a matrix or connections to the teensy. They can be wired up manually. I just would like the board to also support the Cherry LED keys.

litster

04 Nov 2011, 18:00

sixty wrote:Guts, one wish:

Would it possible to have drilled holes for in-switch LEDs on capslock, scroll lock, numlock?
They do not even need to have a matrix or connections to the teensy. They can be wired up manually. I just would like the board to also support the Cherry LED keys.
Let me check with PrinsValium. He is the architect :-).

To people with connections to the Korean community (Sixty and webwit?), do you think we could collaborate with them on this? I think mainly we would like to see if they could contribute a case design to us :-).

Also, Sixty, do you have contact info to a Costar rep or agent for unbranded Filco cases? Thanks!

sixty
Gasbag Guru

04 Nov 2011, 18:14

litster wrote: To people with connections to the Korean community (Sixty and webwit?), do you think we could collaborate with them on this? I think mainly we would like to see if they could contribute a case design to us :-).

Probably not, they put in tons of planning and test runs. Getting a proper aluminium case done costs several thousand dollars for the prototyping alone until everything fits. Nowadays they are usually re-doing cases for already established construction with some improvements.
litster wrote: Also, Sixty, do you have contact info to a Costar rep or agent for unbranded Filco cases? Thanks!
Sadly none, you should hit TheSoulHunter up, he once got samples from them.

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Nov 2011, 18:26

Possibly best answered by one of our Korean members. But you have OTD where they have most experience with custom cases with the 356 series. But their last keyboard was called "Copy My Ass" to retort to the, well, copying, so I'm not sure if they are into that. The difference would be that you ask nicely.

Then there's kbdmania, and they are currently making a custom keyboard called KMAC. But the first run is sort of a limited test run of 100, to get the bugs out, if any, and get experience with this kind of thing. They might not want to share a design at this point, or maybe at any point, because it's kinda the same thing (custom pcb, controller, plate, case, feet). I'm getting one to evaluate it. Maybe in the future they will be more widely distributed.

litster

04 Nov 2011, 18:54

Thanks guys. I thought it was a long shot. I will ping TheSoulHunter about Filco cases. Thanks.

7bit

04 Nov 2011, 19:30

litster wrote:Thanks guys. I thought it was a long shot. I will ping TheSoulHunter about Filco cases. Thanks.
What about just an aluminium backplate with a bit rounded edges (not that someone cuts himself)?

Minskleip

04 Nov 2011, 19:34

Like the Poker but with lower edges? As long as it's high enough to protect from crap entering under the pcb..

bpiphany

04 Nov 2011, 19:46

sixty wrote:Guts, one wish:

Inboard LEDs have been in place since the first iteration of this. Both CapsLock locations as well as Scroll lock. Plus the 3mm ones above the navigation cluster. There is no NumLock... And there is no free pin on the Teensy to add one either =P That would take some awkwardish redesigning to fix.

Here are PNGs of the top and bottom of the PCB for the interested. Component placements should be fairly obvious, ask otherwise. The PNGs doesn't really work well against a white background, load them in a program where it can be chosen in another color.
Attachments
back.png
back.png (580.64 KiB) Viewed 6100 times
front.png
front.png (583.64 KiB) Viewed 6100 times

Minskleip

04 Nov 2011, 19:54

PrinsValium: would it be space to use a large teensy with the same amount of header pins as the small? Then you'd have more io pins for whatever crap like feet pedals etc without changing the pcb.

7bit: how does your plate work with ansi left shift and ansi enter? Not possible? To get around the stabiliser issue, having 7bit with opposite left shift and enter, i.e. the large keys are inward towards the letters (like the right shift is (see hhkb)), would be cool.

bpiphany

04 Nov 2011, 20:04

Which keycap does the NumLock LED go into? I had no idea there was supposed to be one on a tenkeyless =P

The larger Teensy++ fits, I know that for sure, but if I do anything I will instead change the matrix from 6rows × 17columns to 12rows × 9columns. That would mean rerouting the whole thing, which probably is a days work to get it as clean as it is now. And it would screw up some of the physical<->logical rows/columns.

Minskleip

04 Nov 2011, 20:13

Just wanted to know if it'd fit. If it also fits within the Filco case, it would open up new possibilities for hacking :)

bpiphany

04 Nov 2011, 20:34

The pin locations on the Teensy++ are quite different from the Teensy though. So you wont be able to just put a Teensy++ there instead.

JBert

04 Nov 2011, 20:38

Brilliant work!

Will there ever be a Poker version by any chance?

7bit

04 Nov 2011, 20:48

Minskleip wrote:PrinsValium: would it be space to use a large teensy with the same amount of header pins as the small? Then you'd have more io pins for whatever crap like feet pedals etc without changing the pcb.

7bit: how does your plate work with ansi left shift and ansi enter? Not possible? To get around the stabiliser issue, having 7bit with opposite left shift and enter, i.e. the large keys are inward towards the letters (like the right shift is (see hhkb)), would be cool.
Ansi left shift should be no problem, except that on my plate most presumably fit no stabilisers!

The left key is 1.25 units and the other 1 unit (normal ISO layout), so you can't just fit a 2 units key on it.

Same for the right hand side. I'm afraid my layout is not so suitable for people who lave large keys. The whole idea of my layout is to maximise the number of keys. The largest are 1.75 units Caps Lock and 1.75 units right shift, due to the fact that it is not symmetrically stagered (otherwise, the largest would be 1.5 units:-)

On my Tipro I have 1.5 units Shift next to a 1 unit key. It is no problem to fit a regular 2.25 units key with stabiliser mounts on it. But I'm afraid it will not fit if the Shift is 1.25 units :-(
Last edited by 7bit on 04 Nov 2011, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.

Minskleip

04 Nov 2011, 20:49

PrinsValium wrote:The pin locations on the Teensy++ are quite different from the Teensy though. So you wont be able to just put a Teensy++ there instead.
Ah yes, that's true. Won't work without cutting a few traces ;)

7bit

04 Nov 2011, 20:54

PrinsValium wrote:The pin locations on the Teensy++ are quite different from the Teensy though.
Is it possible to attach the Teensy++ with wires to the PCB (total noob question :roll: )?

Minskleip

04 Nov 2011, 21:04

7bit wrote:
PrinsValium wrote:The pin locations on the Teensy++ are quite different from the Teensy though.
Is it possible to attach the Teensy++ with wires to the PCB (total noob question :roll: )?
Haha yes that's what I'm doing with mine, and I'm not doing it again unless I have to :lol:

(I'm going to mount the teensy and led resistors to a perfboard which I'll bolt to the pcb. The perfboard will be connected to the rows, columns and leds with wires.)

bpiphany

04 Nov 2011, 21:06

Ok, just to be sure to put you all off this Teensy++ adventures. Take a look at this.
That is a mess. I had to cut out a lot of the internal case structure (it's there in the background). Not because of the Teensy, only because of all the wires =)

This is my earlier symmetric stagger board cut down to fit the tenkeyless case.

RColinTaylor

04 Nov 2011, 21:06

Here is the PNG made from the .SVG of the Keycap design; the intention is to make it a set of 6 keys (2 1x, 2 1.25x, and 2 1.5x), all modifiers for the front row, to take the place of either the Windows Key or whatever you see fit. I am working on the group buy related to that now and have sent the first set of artwork over to Melissa at SP. The intended color for the conventional buy will be White on Black and, if interest permits, White on Gray (GB3 Gray - 7bit style). I will keep DT informed on those plans.
White on Black Phantom
White on Black Phantom
Phantom Face Edit Testing White on Black PNG.png (6.61 KiB) Viewed 6075 times
White on Gray Phantom
White on Gray Phantom
Phantom Face Edit Testing White on Gray PNG.png (7.26 KiB) Viewed 6075 times

Minskleip

04 Nov 2011, 21:14

PrinsValium wrote:Ok, just to be sure to put you all off this Teensy++ adventures. Take a look at this.
That is a mess. I had to cut out a lot of the internal case structure (it's there in the background). Not because of the Teensy, only because of all the wires =)

This is my earlier symmetric stagger board cut down to fit the tenkeyless case.
That looks pretty sweet actually. Kind of like an octopus, but that's ok ;)

Findecanor

04 Nov 2011, 23:16

PrinsValium wrote:

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get install qcad
After that you can view attached dxf file...
Good ole QCad. :) Thanks!

In the PCB design, why is there a hole in each corner under many of the switches?

litster

04 Nov 2011, 23:21

I added more ordering information the the 3rd post in this thread. I am a little confused that 7bit posted on GeekHack that the ordering system is up and running on Deskthority. I emailed him to clearify if it is working on both GH and DT and am waiting for his reply.

If for some reason you can't order through Deskthority's PM system by PM'ing your order to PHANTOM, please let me know. Thanks.

7bit

04 Nov 2011, 23:25

litster wrote:I added more ordering information the the 3rd post in this thread. I am a little confused that 7bit posted on GeekHack that the ordering system is up and running on Deskthority. I emailed him to clearify if it is working on both GH and DT and am waiting for his reply.

If for some reason you can't order through Deskthority's PM system by PM'ing your order to PHANTOM, please let me know. Thanks.
It is working now on both systems and it worked on Deskthority first!

litster

04 Nov 2011, 23:35

Sweet! You saved me a lot of time from collecting and compiling orders!

bpiphany

05 Nov 2011, 00:05

Findecanor wrote:In the PCB design, why is there a hole in each corner under many of the switches?
To reach the tabs that hold the switches together. People wanted a plate making it possible to open the switches and swap the stems. So I made the cutouts with slots to allow the tabs to get out. Then I also came up with the idea for the PCB holes to make it easier to release the tabs too.

litster

05 Nov 2011, 00:10

So maybe we can make a 4-prong thingamajig that can poke through all 4 holes at the same time to pop the switch top.

litster

05 Nov 2011, 07:46

I should have provided this information 18 hours ago, but 7bit's mail went to my junkmail box. I just dug up his mail. Sorry.

7bit found a source who can provide us with Cherry MX switches of all colors. that is great news! We still need to source stabilizers though. But we are another step closer! I will update the available part list.

7bit

05 Nov 2011, 09:31

litster wrote:I should have provided this information 18 hours ago, but 7bit's mail went to my junkmail box. I just dug up his mail. Sorry.

7bit found a source who can provide us with Cherry MX switches of all colors. that is great news! We still need to source stabilizers though. But we are another step closer! I will update the available part list.
This is the current statistic:

CASE........1<-------- does currently not exist
MXBLACK...450
MXBROWN...150
MXCLEAR...300
MXRED......12
PH7BIT......6<-------- my plate-design :ugeek:
PHANSI.....12<--------normal plate design :cool:
PHANSIWIN...5<--------lame (==assymmetric bottom row) plate design
PHANTOM....24<----------This is the PCB! :ugeek:
PHISO.......2<---------- :lol:
PHISOWIN....1<---------- :lol: :lol:
SOLDERING...3<---------- :arrow:
TEENSY.....15<---------- this is the controller

Goly

05 Nov 2011, 14:34

Hi, I have some questions and probably are in #1 but mi english is so bad and i didnt understand all...

I have a few alps in home, Are they going to fit in the keyboard?

I haven no idea of soldering or mounting... How im going to do it? Are there some tutorials?

I dont know what to order to get all the keyboard except for the switches. I want a distribution like the Filco ANSI...

Can i get Apls keys? They are going to be double shot?

Sorry if my english is so bad, i tried mi best. Cheers.

Return to “Group buys”