F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

bubblebobbler

22 Jan 2016, 01:35

I'll back everyone else's interest up in a model with a smaller case, especially at the same price-point, but it isn't the difference between a sale and not in my case (whereas it being pricier would be). This is also assuming that a smaller case wouldn't affect the model's closeness to an original F when it comes to feel :)

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

22 Jan 2016, 03:00

Could someone give me a brief summary on how to order(Ellipse mentioned a website I think) and what customization options are currently available? I saw some stuff about unicomp but and custom layouts in the OP, but what worries me is the measly cork feet. One feature about old keyboards that I really like are feet that raise the keyboard much more than the dell ones at my school.

What the original kish have in terms of feet?

Ludovician

22 Jan 2016, 03:59

Redmaus wrote: Could someone give me a brief summary on how to order(Ellipse mentioned a website I think) and what customization options are currently available? I saw some stuff about unicomp but and custom layouts in the OP, but what worries me is the measly cork feet. One feature about old keyboards that I really like are feet that raise the keyboard much more than the dell ones at my school.

What the original kish have in terms of feet?

Check the store on there for your options. It comes with a couple of large rubber feet and you get four extra feet of your choice with your keyboard (it's a separate item on the store).

Ellipse

22 Jan 2016, 04:07

The keyboard comes with the cork-rubber feet and you can pick 4 other feet from the feet in the photos on my web site. All the feet will come not attached to the keyboard so you can pick your feet and where you want them. The original Kishsaver used rubber feet.

I'm typing on the brand new Model F62 keyboard! I just did a typing test and the keys/my typing were 100% accurate and I was able to type even faster than on my original Model F! The F62 has been completely assembled. I still have to assemble and test the F77 and continue my testing.

Ellipse

22 Jan 2016, 05:50

How's next week for a Manhattan keyboard meetup to see the new F62/F77s and any other keyboards people want to bring (hoping for some original Model F's, M's, beamsprings, etc.)?

Can anyone volunteer a Manhattan venue to host the keyboard meetup? Maybe someone in the tech industry with permission to use a conference room for the meetup?

Muirium
µ

22 Jan 2016, 06:16

Exhibitors fee: one F77.

Ludovician

22 Jan 2016, 06:23

You should come to my place for an exhibition. I'll provide snacks.

andrewjoy

22 Jan 2016, 10:32

Could you add the UNIX layout to the dropdown when ordering them please.

Failing that please tell me what one i should select and what i need to put in the notes.

22 Jan 2016, 17:00

When should we order through the site?

flabbergast

22 Jan 2016, 20:42

Sorry for a newbie question, but I don't actually know how does the following work on model F keyboards: Are things like splitting the right shift into HHKB-style, and splitting the backspace into 2 keys just a matter of getting appropriate keycaps? So possible on both F77 and F62? Or does it require some "structural" change to the keyboard?

Ludovician

22 Jan 2016, 21:00

flabbergast wrote: Sorry for a newbie question, but I don't actually know how does the following work on model F keyboards: Are things like splitting the right shift into HHKB-style, and splitting the backspace into 2 keys just a matter of getting appropriate keycaps? So possible on both F77 and F62? Or does it require some "structural" change to the keyboard?
The split right shift option is a structural change. In the default setting, which is compatible with a normal right shift key, you can replace it with 1u + 1.75u, but the 1u would have to be on the left. The altered "HHKB-style" option changes the barrel placement, making it incompatible with standard right shift but allowing you to have 1.75u + 1u with the 1u on the right.

Split backspace requires no structural changes to the keyboard.

In both of these cases, if you want to switch between one larger key and two smaller keys, you would need to switch out a stabiliser insert for a spring assembly or vice versa. I'd recommend getting a couple of spares of each in case you want to change your layout after the fact.

flabbergast

22 Jan 2016, 21:09

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I'll be trying to get the spares then, because I would definitely like to split the backspace on F77 (well actually pretty much on any keyboard I use; I got hooked up on the HHKB layout).

BTW it seems to me that Ellipse's prototypes have the right shift already in such a way that the splitting would be with 1u on the right, right? But then wouldn't this cause a problem with the standard caps that the full-size right shift would have to be upside down?

Ludovician

22 Jan 2016, 21:15

flabbergast wrote: Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I'll be trying to get the spares then, because I would definitely like to split the backspace on F77 (well actually pretty much on any keyboard I use; I got hooked up on the HHKB layout).

BTW it seems to me that Ellipse's prototypes have the right shift already in such a way that the splitting would be with 1u on the right, right? But then wouldn't this cause a problem with the standard caps that the full-size right shift would have to be upside down?
It's an option. When you buy it, you can opt for standard or HHKB-style. This is a structural change, and I believe the prototype that Ellipse recently got is HHKB-style.

Buckling Spring caps don't work upside down. The standard right shift would simply be incompatible.

You don't need to modify it yourself if you know which layout you want, if you select the option for HHKB-style with split backspace, it will be preconfigured in that layout for you. I don't think there's an option in store for regular style shift with split backspace; that's what andrewjoy was talking about I believe.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

22 Jan 2016, 21:58

Ludovician wrote:

Check the store on there for your options. It comes with a couple of large rubber feet and you get four extra feet of your choice with your keyboard (it's a separate item on the store).
Oh well I guess the large rubber bumpers would do. Still stuck on whether I want the F62 of F77. I'm leaning toward the F62, but still I know I'll miss my arrow keys and nav cluster...

Ellipse

22 Jan 2016, 22:05

Andrew for UNIX do you mean split backspace and ESC key in the top left, or do you need to switch caps lock and left ctrl keys? The latter adds to the cost.

22 Jan 2016, 22:16

He probably means this key set :

andrewjoy

22 Jan 2016, 23:21

Ellipse wrote: Andrew for UNIX do you mean split backspace and ESC key in the top left, or do you need to switch caps lock and left ctrl keys? The latter adds to the cost.

split backspace

I dont need the caps .

kekstee

22 Jan 2016, 23:45

If you go for the nav cluster option on the F77 right hand side and choose to get printed keycaps, then what would the keys above left and right arrow end up as? I'd probably go with blanks there since I can't think of a good use, but I'm curious what the default will be if we don't mention it.

bubblebobbler

23 Jan 2016, 00:06

kekstee wrote: If you go for the nav cluster option on the F77 right hand side and choose to get printed keycaps, then what would the keys above left and right arrow end up as? I'd probably go with blanks there since I can't think of a good use, but I'm curious what the default will be if we don't mention it.

from a few pages back, I think this is probably the best utilisation, somewhat like the quickfire TK

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

23 Jan 2016, 01:02

Ellipse, what does it mean on the site when it says that there won't be a right shift for the black keyset? Does that mean for ANSI? Or just for the HHKB style orders?

flabbergast

23 Jan 2016, 01:07

The big black right shift shortage of the 21st century? keyboards-f2/who-s-right-me-or-unicomp- ... 12616.html

Ellipse

23 Jan 2016, 01:34

Andrew I added this note to the keyboard pages for your split backspace option - "To order a split backspace (with springs in both backspace barrels), please specify that in the notes section before adding this item to your cart."

kekstee the default will be SSK style instead of my preferred style in the photo bubble re-posted.

Red, Unicomp ran out of the big right shift key so you will need to order a black caps lock key for that spot instead if you want a black set. You can stay with the regular layout with black keys by putting a 1U key on the left barrel and a caps lock on the right barrel of the right shift, or go Split Right shift layout and reverse them. It requires a different PCB and top inner assembly so you cannot switch between regular layout and split right shift layout. Unicomp usually includes a random color big right shift if you wanted to dye the key or leave it as is.

bubblebobbler

23 Jan 2016, 03:31

Oh, I apologise for my misinformation

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

23 Jan 2016, 04:21

flabbergast wrote: The big black right shift shortage of the 21st century? keyboards-f2/who-s-right-me-or-unicomp- ... 12616.html
Oh. Well maybe I could do 0100010's method of using an alternate color for the modifiers. Maybe Ellipse could incorporate this as an option?

Ellipse

23 Jan 2016, 04:33

Red for these custom requests there will be a notes section where you can enter in your request before clicking "add to cart." Have you checked out the site yet? Ordering is still disabled but all the standard options and pricing are up.

Ellipse

23 Jan 2016, 06:02

Feast your eyes on some of my very first F62/F77 photos and a quick photo during the assembly process :)

Please note the white balance and colors are not accurate.
DSC_8511.jpg
DSC_8511.jpg (851.86 KiB) Viewed 9000 times
DSC_8503.jpg
DSC_8503.jpg (845.52 KiB) Viewed 9000 times
DSC_8502.jpg
DSC_8502.jpg (740.03 KiB) Viewed 9000 times
DSC_8488.jpg
DSC_8488.jpg (504.85 KiB) Viewed 9000 times
DSC_8494.jpg
DSC_8494.jpg (992.92 KiB) Viewed 9000 times
DSC_8481.jpg
DSC_8481.jpg (830.1 KiB) Viewed 9000 times
DSC_8525.jpg
DSC_8525.jpg (900.4 KiB) Viewed 9000 times

kuato

23 Jan 2016, 06:04

Incredible. Great work!

gnarlsagan

23 Jan 2016, 06:04

They're... beautiful. Is that grey the final color?

Edit: nm from your post I see that the colors might look different in real life.

Khers

23 Jan 2016, 08:41

Wow. Just wow! They look incredible!

If I order a F62 in the HHKB-layout with caps, will the caps automatically include an extra caps-lock key or do I need to specify this in the notes?

JanitorJoe

23 Jan 2016, 20:13

The final version will have the spacebar tabs that are available in the extra options section pre-installed, right?

Return to “Group buys”