F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

Hypersphere

01 Mar 2016, 00:58

I just now placed an additional order for keycaps to go with my forthcoming F62 and F77.

After I have the opportunity to see videos and/or pics of the F62 with the compact case, I will probably place an additional order for the second wave of new Model F keyboards.

This is quite exciting! I am really looking forward to receiving the new Model F boards!

Ellipse

01 Mar 2016, 05:29

$77,000+ in total orders (including shipping costs) so far! This is shaping up to be a sizable project.

I reached out to my factory contacts with pages of notes, instructions and questions in preparation for the production process and they are still looking into everything - I am waiting on their thorough reply that will address everything.

The expected timeline from here is that I will be sending final payments for the remaining tooling and mold costs this week, then the factory will go into preparation for production shortly after they get back to me.

We have already gone through Preparations A through G, and now we have the next one up :)

While I can't guarantee that late orders will be included in the early bird round, I will do my best to include everyone even if you are a little late - everyone can have a week or two more if you'd like, but I want to finalize things ASAP once the factory is ready. I want to keep things on time so that these early bird orders ship before the end of May.

atlas3686

01 Mar 2016, 07:52

Ellipse wrote: Ratfink I hope to include them instead of the Unicomp caps for this project (for most orders at least). Extra sets would be more to further help recoup costs for the molds, maybe $100 to $125 or so per full 101-key set.

webwit when I have some renders I will make a separate thread and interest form for the key caps - yes it does seem like there's some extra interest in the key sets and non-stepped injection molded keys.
Oh wow this is epic news, the key situation was putting a slight damper on the project, shiny black keys, stepped keys where there shouldn't be etc. Glad I just ordered an extra key set. Do you think an APL key set is going to be an option or will those still be from Unicomp?
Definitely interested in non stepped Capslock keys as well mainly for the right shift but could live with both capslock and shift if that was the only option, better then both stepped.

Ellipse

02 Mar 2016, 01:32

APL would likely be from Unicomp. Unicomp has non-stepped caps lock so you'd always be able to buy a key from them for $2 if you prefer the caps lock to be stepped but want the XT quality one piece keys.

courtesi

02 Mar 2016, 15:29

So if you are making your own keycaps does this mean you will be able to make swappable control / capslock keys?

cods

02 Mar 2016, 21:46

Wow Ellipse, you don't do things by halves!

I might as well make an ambit claim like __red__ and Vizir... sphericals would absolutely rock.

courtesi

02 Mar 2016, 23:02

cods wrote: Wow Ellipse, you don't do things by halves!

I might as well make an ambit claim like __red__ and Vizir... sphericals would absolutely rock.
I like the idea of sphericals too - but only if they look like they were made before I was born. Basically the aesthetics of a Honey Well or some other sexy vintage terminal board.

Ellipse

02 Mar 2016, 23:58

yes courtesi on the swapped legends for those two keys. You're probably aiming towards sphericals with double shot legends - I don't believe too many factories have much of that equipment remaining, besides the ones listed on the wiki.

My keys are intended to be original style XT quality one-piece key caps to keep in line with the goals of this project.

Hypersphere

02 Mar 2016, 23:59

I like the look of sphericals, but for the first or second round of the F62+F77, I would prefer to stick with IBM's keycap design for these boards.

Perhaps sphericals could be a future project. Who knows? Ellipse might decide to produce new beam springs!

Khers

03 Mar 2016, 00:08

I also like the _look_ of spherical keycaps, but I don't like to type on them. I much prefer cylindrical.

Based on this statement, it should come as no surprise that I would love to see some XT-style cylindrical keycaps as per what Ellipse is suggesting. :D

03 Mar 2016, 03:11

Ellipse wrote: -snip- We have already gone through Preparations A through G, and now we have the next one up :)

Vizir

03 Mar 2016, 06:51

XT style keys work great. Was just hoping for another miracle. ;)

kekstee

03 Mar 2016, 12:22

One piece standard keycaps would be enough of a miracle. And perfectly in line with the project.

Would we be able to revise our orders based on the contents these sets might provide? Or would it simply be a 1:1 swap with the standard unicomp set for an additional fee?

Ellipse

04 Mar 2016, 00:36

kekstee I believe it will be the latter. What would you think of revising though?

gnarlsagan

04 Mar 2016, 00:49

Hi Ellipse. If new non-Unicomp caps will be available, I'd like to change my order of regular blanks to a set of black blanks. I'd imagine quite a few people would jump on that bandwagon. Just putting this out there to ensure that people have time to change their order before production.

Ellipse

04 Mar 2016, 01:11

ok noted gnarlsagan

Here's a Group Buy update for those who are catching up on the thread:

With 180 Brand New Model F keyboards ordered in the past month (over $77,000 in orders including shipping costs!) I have decided to proceed with producing my own IBM XT quality, one-piece Model M/Model F compatible key caps for most orders from this project, including black unprinted keys. I am buying brand new molds. Custom colors and APL sets will likely be Unicomp made.

I will also be making the short right shift/caps lock key mold non-stepped as has been strongly requested from the beginning (of course standard Model F/M stepped caps lock keys can be put in place of non-stepped keys).

I will be sending out one reminder message to those who signed the interest form but haven't ordered yet or haven't let me know their plans. As the factory takes care of the remaining pre-production things, I will try to accommodate the late orders into the early bird round, but no guarantees! I am guessing Sunday 3/13 will be the final cutoff point to be in the early bird round.

Hypersphere

04 Mar 2016, 02:00

@Ellipse: Thanks for updating us with your plans. Good to see that you are planning to produce the keycaps! If we have already placed our orders for keycaps, I assume we don't need to do anything to have the keycaps produced by you instead of Unicomp (except for custom colors that you will not be producing), but please let us know if we need to go back and change anything in our orders. BTW, I would be glad to have the non-stepped CapsLock/Ctrl and Right Shift keys.

Ellipse

05 Mar 2016, 01:08

Correct Hypersphere. Yes I believe everyone would be getting the non-stepped for the caps lock and split right shift keys. Not sure yet. Of course stepped keys will still be available and usable on these keyboards.
Last edited by Ellipse on 05 Mar 2016, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.

Ratfink

05 Mar 2016, 01:16

Ellipse wrote: Correct Hypersphere. Yes I believe everyone would be getting the non-stepped for all keys. Not sure yet. Of course stepped keys will still be available and usable on these keyboards.
D-do you mean you'll be making a non-stepped ISO enter? :o

Ellipse

05 Mar 2016, 01:20

Nope sorry Ratfink. Unless the handful of ISO buyers want to split the mold costs. Unicomp's ISO Enter key is one piece though so I will use that.

Ellipse

05 Mar 2016, 03:44

Good news - I have finally switched over to a merchant account! Everything is now set up on the web site, including SSL for the checkout page. I went with one of the most popular payment processors, Authorize.net (over 400,000 merchant customers including eBay, shopify, and BigCommerce). If you are planning on a future order and are unable to pay by credit or debit card, PayPal will still be an option - just PM me your shopping cart contents when ready to order.

It's almost unreal that we are up to $78,000 in orders (including shipping charges) after a little over one month!

Ordering the case molds has been delayed until next week - the factory needed some more time unfortunately.

Ratsalad

06 Mar 2016, 07:47

Hello everyone, first post here.

I am rebuilding my 1987 Model M (1391401) this weekend, and was reminiscing about the Model F keyboard. I did a Google search, and was shocked to discover modelfkeyboards.com. Now I am on the fence with respect to purchasing one of these. I really want a 104-key layout, but the F77 is close enough that I could live with it. I don't want to miss an opportunity like this, and the price is better than I expected.

The Model M causes severe tendon pain when I type on it. I am certain that the Model F keyboards that I learned to type on three decades ago wouldn't have done that. The Model M feels sticky and more difficult to use than it should; I suspect this is because of its age, or perhaps I have gotten too used to these Topre keyboards. I am rebuilding the M in the hopes that I can rehabilitate it.

Anyway, I just want to say THANK YOU to Ellipse for all the work you've done to make this possible for someone like me to possibly own a brand new Model F. I will be mulling this over in the next 24 hours and will decide what to do soon.

Dave

fohat
Elder Messenger

06 Mar 2016, 16:11

Ratsalad wrote:
reminiscing about the Model F keyboard

I really want a 104-key layout, but the F77 is close enough that I could live with it.
If you are willing to do some work yourself, this 107-key from Orihalcon is closer to a full-size than a 77.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-4704-Keyboa ... SwDNdV5Q0i

Ratsalad

06 Mar 2016, 18:58

Thanks Fohat!

I looked at the linked keyboard, but I really want a brand new one. Then I have no excuses about age if I don't find it comfortable.

Dave

Aer Fixus

07 Mar 2016, 01:56

You said everyone would be getting split right shifts? Will there be no option for a single piece right shift?

fohat
Elder Messenger

07 Mar 2016, 02:04

Ratsalad wrote:
but I really want a brand new one.
Virgins are over-rated, especially when it comes to Model Fs.

Ellipse

07 Mar 2016, 02:12

Aer - for those getting a split right shift they will be non-stepped if I make them (most likely). I am also making regular shift molds, so it may be possible to get a regular unprinted black set with regular shift (along with standard color regular right shifts too). I don't know pricing on the former option just yet.

shreebles
Finally 60%

07 Mar 2016, 10:54

Ratsalad wrote: The Model M causes severe tendon pain when I type on it. I am certain that the Model F keyboards that I learned to type on three decades ago wouldn't have done that. The Model M feels sticky and more difficult to use than it should; I suspect this is because of its age, or perhaps I have gotten too used to these Topre keyboards. I am rebuilding the M in the hopes that I can rehabilitate it.
M really is heavier than Model F or most Cherry keyswitches. I wouldn't insist on using it if it causes you pain. Model F is a bit lighter, but I would shun IBM entirely if I had any pain.
I love my M keyboards but only the newer ones because they feel lighter. It feels a bit like a workout sometimes which is why I don't use them for more than a few hours at a time. My daily drivers in the last few months have all been light, tactile Cherry switches, but I whip out the Model M for a few hours every other day.
With a Model F keyboard, this might change though.

So yeah, some Model Ms can be really heavy, do take a look at lighter switches, or even an ergonomic keyboard with big comfy wrist rests, like the Matias Ergo Pro.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

07 Mar 2016, 20:32

Hackaday.com today ran the first tech news article I've seen on the project. I hope some other places pick this up as well! :D

Madhias
BS TORPE

07 Mar 2016, 21:10

Techno Trousers wrote: Hackaday.com today ran the first tech news article I've seen on the project. I hope some other places pick this up as well! :D
Title image source: murium on Deskthority

I recognized instantly the picture :)

Return to “Group buys”