F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

Hypersphere

26 Mar 2016, 14:21

My color/process choices for compact cases for the F62, in order of preference:

1. Black, anodized

2. Dark grey, anodized

3. Red, anodized

willdenham

26 Mar 2016, 14:31

Khronokrator here was a F 107 key that sold which was powder coated with a glossy black. This should give you an idea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301461480010

Vizir

26 Mar 2016, 16:34

Red, white, black, white, aluminum all sound nice.

Khronokrator

26 Mar 2016, 21:08

willdenham wrote: Khronokrator here was a F 107 key that sold which was powder coated with a glossy black. This should give you an idea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301461480010
Thanks for that, willdenham! I'm betting the black on the F77 won't be glossy, but that gives a good visual yardstick. It's much appreciated. :)

29 Mar 2016, 03:10

Ellipse

31 Mar 2016, 03:16

And what kind of finishes and processes are people considering for the Ultra compact case? Powdercoated, anodized, electrophoresis, etched?

Hypersphere

31 Mar 2016, 17:37

Ellipse wrote: And what kind of finishes and processes are people considering for the Ultra compact case? Powdercoated, anodized, electrophoresis, etched?
Anodized should be nice.

alh84001
v.001

31 Mar 2016, 18:20

I can't say that I'm knowledgeable on these matters, but since this is not a replica case, maybe something different than powdercoating, but it would still be nice if it is a bit matte, and not in-your-face shiny.

chalks

02 Apr 2016, 21:29

I would prefer powdercoated for the ultra compact case because it hints at the origins of the board as a whole.

If this isn't possible then please keep it matte.

clee

03 Apr 2016, 20:51

@Ellipse: Any updates on the production yet? Can't wait for my F77 :)

Ellipse

05 Apr 2016, 05:38

Things are going slower than expected but I am still aiming for the end of May for the keyboards to ship from China.

Regarding the prototyping of the smaller xwhatsit controller being used for this project, the main designer of this updated controller layout would like some help. Please PM me or post here if you can help with soldering SMT components for a prototype controller that he designed.

This controller is expected to be an open source (like the original), more compact version of the xwhatsit Model F controller that is half the width and uses more standard 0.1" pitch ribbon cable.

clee

05 Apr 2016, 05:42

I have some soldering experience and have built keyboard controllers from scratch before (I created the RUMP adapter for the Model M, http://mg8.org/rump/ ), and I'd love to do anything I could to help with that! But I don't have any Model F keyboards yet, so I'm not sure if I'd be able to test it :-/

flabbergast

05 Apr 2016, 10:30

Not sure how can I help, but I can solder SMT components (hand-soldering only though, so no QFN packages or smaller than 0603). Thing is (just as clee) I don't have a Model F, so I can't really test the actual firmware.

wcass

06 Apr 2016, 03:34

An official request for help has been posted.
workshop-f7/a-smaller-xwhatsit-t13479.html

Ellipse

08 Apr 2016, 04:48

Thanks wcass!

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

08 Apr 2016, 12:17

Ellipse wrote: For those interested in the Ultra compact F62/F77 cases, what kind of case colors should be offered? I expect them to be anodized or done with another process, but not powdercoated/painted like the original style cases.
Dark grey anodizing would be really great. :)

RocketGruntJake

13 Apr 2016, 03:16

So I posted this on the GeekHack thread but want to post it here for more visibility.
Alright guys we have Pantone red lined up it seems, lets see if we can can get a classic IBM color to a reasonable cost. The color I am thinking of comes from this beautiful machine
ibm selectric ii.jpg
ibm selectric ii.jpg (141.09 KiB) Viewed 5462 times
This Olive Green IBM Selectric II is a beauty and would lend its color nicely to the Model F Keyboard. It would also fit in with the idea of reinventing a classic IBM machine that this group buy embodies.
My suggestion is Pantone PQ-5615 C
Here is a mock-up of this color on this Model F77 remastering and an F62
F77 case.jpg
F77 case.jpg (462.6 KiB) Viewed 5462 times
kish green.jpg
kish green.jpg (906.25 KiB) Viewed 5462 times
If anyone has a different variation of this color or a Pantone swatch they think is more true to the original Selectric we can use that but I think this would be fairly close. I want to get as close as possible to the original color so if someone has a better way of finding the rgb color on the Selectric I'd love the input.

Ellipse

15 Apr 2016, 23:02

A small update - things are progressing slower than expected and I can't put enough time into the Ultra Compact case versions just yet.

Right now the priority is to ask for anyone willing to help wcass on DT with the open source redesign of xwhatsit's controller to make it more compact and move the USB port to the top edge of the PCB.

This offers two benefits - first it allows me to use standard 0.1" pitch ribbon cable between the capacitive PCB and xwhatsit controller (the original used non-standard 3.96 mm pitch), and second is it allows all components to be fully interchangeable between the original and ultra-compact cases (except for the bottom inner assembly piece) (the USB cable is removable from the outside with the ultra compact case).

nacho

17 Apr 2016, 15:14

Can we have the option for F62 & F77 for the original xwhatsit controller ? Mixing the ultra compact into this group buy is & will slow down considerably everything. Basically, I've payed for something, i.e., xwhatsit's controller, and now I'm getting something else. Comments ?
Last edited by nacho on 17 Apr 2016, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

scottc

17 Apr 2016, 15:22

Completely agree with nacho. I'll be joining in the second round but I have no interest in the compact case and would strongly prefer to keep using the tried and tested original Xwhatsit controller.

modology

17 Apr 2016, 15:26

I briefly saw compact version 3D model on Reddit. I personally think that you should go all out and make it as small as possible (even taking that you need new toolings ) rather than trying to make it compatible with "classic" model. The whole point about COMPACT version is that it should be super compact model without any compromise.

Ellipse

17 Apr 2016, 16:02

nacho/scottc/modology I may have to use the original controller if the new one is not resolved by month end - that's the latest point we can still keep the project on schedule to ship from China by month end (then it will take some time for it to arrive in NY for my testing and shipping out each one).

nacho the controller is not slowing down the project just yet (it will be if we reach mid-May without one!).

The issue is that I have already agreed to make all components interchangeable between cases and I do not want to upset anyone who bought the keyboard with that in mind.

modology there are no compromises at all with the ultra compact version. It will be the exact same parts as the original, except for a smaller bottom inner assembly. The ultra compact version will be as small as possible but the size of the capacitive PCB limits options as the traces are required to go on each side. That limits the possibility of making the case even smaller.
Last edited by Ellipse on 18 Jun 2017, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.

andrewjoy

18 Apr 2016, 12:33

I am still up for this , still got a few 100 quid to pay off my holiday and then i should be good to order, hopefully that will be at the same time we have the first early bird keyboards in the wild .

Hypersphere

20 Apr 2016, 01:09

@Ellipse: As far as I am concerned, I would be fine with a separate ultra-compact F62. That is, I would not require complete interchangeable parts. You might wish to poll those who had asked for interchangeable parts to see if they could be flexible about this so that things might move forward.

lot_lizard

20 Apr 2016, 02:13

Agree with Hyper... Worst case, those that were sold on the 62 mini could always solder in the new controller once it was stable. My preference would be the proven board, but I ordered the F77, and have no benefit of the smaller controller (at least I haven't seen plans for a 77 mini, but could have overlooked). Stability and hitting the date would be my preference.

Ellipse

20 Apr 2016, 04:03

Based on estimates from the factory they need more time than what they budgeted. They couldn't find a machine to attach the springs, meaning 15,000 springs/flippers need to be attached by hand for the ~207 keyboards ordered.

The project will not be rushed to make a deadline if it compromises the component quality or quality of assembly of the keyboards. I am requiring the factory to hand test every flipper/spring to help ensure quality standards. Then I will be testing each keyboard key by key before it ships.

This group buy project will be done right even though we do not have IBM's massive resources for production and quality control. To Hypersphere's point, I'll need to hear from everyone who expressed interest in an ultra compact case and ordered in the early round that they would be OK for separate runs. Feel free to post here.

The controller is not holding up the project just yet.

lot_lizard there will also be an ultra compact F77 as well.
Last edited by Ellipse on 18 Jun 2017, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.

Touch_It

20 Apr 2016, 04:13

Even though I don't have the funds to purchase one of these keyboards, it is awesome to hear you are unwilling to make any compromises with quality. I'm sure everyone would agree with me in this.

shreebles
Finally 60%

20 Apr 2016, 13:23

If this turns out to be what was promised, I am ready to sell some stuff to get the funds to afford an ultra compact F62.

However, if they ship from China in June... I do not think people will get their keyboards long before June 30. I understand the deadline for the second round is June 30... Most people who did not want to get in to the early bird round are probably waiting on the result and experience from the first round.
The same for me, I want to know how the first round turned out before I order anything in the second.

andrewjoy

20 Apr 2016, 14:28

shreebles wrote:
However, if they ship from China in June... I do not think people will get their keyboards long before June 30. I understand the deadline for the second round is June 30... Most people who did not want to get in to the early bird round are probably waiting on the result and experience from the first round.
The same for me, I want to know how the first round turned out before I order anything in the second.
This for me too , as much as i want one i need to see the early birds in the wild first.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

21 Apr 2016, 00:49

+1 to extend round 2 ordering deadline. It should ideally be set to 30 days after the date that round one purchasers receive their keyboard.

Return to “Group buys”