F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

Ellipse

11 Jun 2016, 23:26

A major milestone: we passed $100,000 in orders this weekend (including shipping)!

Also an update - the F62/F77 case mold tooling is expected to be ready in the next 1-2 weeks. Then the factory will send me for my approval a die cast sample, the very first die cast Model F part in 2+ decades!

Chrisism

11 Jun 2016, 23:53

Awesome news! I will probably join the group buy one way or another within the next two weeks. Quick question, with the BYO keys option, are stabilizers included or do I need to buy those separately?

Ellipse

11 Jun 2016, 23:55

Those are not included, but you can order them on the modelfkeyboards.com web site with your order.

Chrisism

12 Jun 2016, 00:57

Thanks for the heads up!

LewisR

13 Jun 2016, 05:08

Nice!

Ellipse

15 Jun 2016, 03:23

Sorry this was not clear. Just a reminder that there is still time in the early bird round.

The early bird deadline passed but I decided to make some extra units for the early bird round and keep accepting orders until stock runs out, then orders will be fulfilled in the final round after supply runs out (I'll put up a note on the web site when that happens). But I would recommend ordering soon just so you don't have to wait an extra few months when I gather the final round orders.

I would say we will keep final round orders open at least until late November for anyone who wants a last minute holiday gift (possibly a belated one if they order too close to the end of November with shipping times and all).

So if you would prefer that your keyboard ships from China in late July/August at the earliest please order with the early bird round in the next month or so.

gnarlsagan

15 Jun 2016, 16:31

Ellipse wrote: Sorry this was not clear. Just a reminder that there is still time in the early bird round.

The early bird deadline passed but I decided to make some extra units for the early bird round and keep accepting orders until stock runs out, then orders will be fulfilled in the final round after supply runs out (I'll put up a note on the web site when that happens). But I would recommend ordering soon just so you don't have to wait an extra few months when I gather the final round orders.

I would say we will keep final round orders open at least until late November for anyone who wants a last minute holiday gift (possibly a belated one if they order too close to the end of November with shipping times and all).

So if you would prefer that your keyboard ships from China in late July/August at the earliest please order with the early bird round in the next month or so.

Thank you for clearing that up. Also, as I understand it, the slim case orders will not ship with the early bird round, is that correct?

Vizir

15 Jun 2016, 16:33

Yes, the small form factor cases will not be ready in time for early bird, and will ship with the 2nd round.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hypersphere

15 Jun 2016, 17:51

@Ellipse: I have already placed my order for an F62 and a F77 with standard cases.

I would like to wait to see and hear prototypes for the compact cases before placing another order for the compact case versions. Is this still okay?

Ellipse

16 Jun 2016, 00:28

gnarlsagan and Vizir I am hoping the ultra compact case keyboards ship with the early birds or soon after.

Yep Hypersphere that is ok. I will leave time between the first ultra compact keyboard deliveries and the final round for the ultra compact keyboards, for those holding off until the first round keyboards ship.

Hypersphere

16 Jun 2016, 00:32

@Ellipse: Thanks. I think some folks are waiting to see/hear F62 and F77 board in actual ultracompact cases before placing orders for the ultracompact boards and/or ultracompact cases.

Just want to be sure that I do not miss out. I suppose you will make an announcement when you receive the ultracompact cases and /or keyboards.

Elrick

17 Jun 2016, 04:51

Hypersphere wrote: Just want to be sure that I do not miss out. I suppose you will make an announcement when you receive the ultracompact cases and /or keyboards.
The ONLY way to be sure is to jump on in as soon as possible. Otherwise you'll be paying a lot more through Ebay and the Classifieds due to your hesitation. In the end you will always lose a lot more money for being cautious, especially with this Group Buy.

I bought into this at a time when our normally toilet-dwelling currency was quite high hence paid little to join but if I decided to join NOW, that would be an extra $120AUD needed. Luckily I didn't wait till now to buy into this.

Confident this Model-F series will be the ONLY one worth trusting in, compared to anything else out there.

Hypersphere

17 Jun 2016, 16:33

@Elrick: I did jump in quickly for the standard-case F62 and F77, so I am all set there. However, I am also interested in the ultracompact case versions, but we do not yet have a product. I trust that it will be possible to place orders after seeing (and perhaps also hearing) working models with the new cases.

Aer Fixus

17 Jun 2016, 17:29

So, have the prices for the blank black key sets gone up? (from $366 to $399) I was going to get one before, but now at $75 for a set it simply puts it out of my price range. I'm not fussing about it, just curious. I've got plenty of M/F key sets to pull from if I can't get one of these sets. And I'm sure I'll get a black set eventually from somewhere, shine or no shine.

Also, on that note, would it be possible to send you a set to put on during testing and shipping? It would mean removing one less set of keycaps after testing and the flippers wouldn't bounce around as much in shipping.

mana

19 Jun 2016, 14:28

Just wondering, for those of us who happen to have access to original model F springs, flippers, barrels and keycaps (i.e. I have an F XT that I am willing to cannibalise), whether it would be possible to order one of these without the above so that I can use the ones from my XT, and if so, how much would it be for a compact case + PCB + xwhatsit controller + metal plate.

Ellipse

19 Jun 2016, 15:43

Sorry XT barrels are not compatible. They are a different design. But you save about $40 by using your own keys. Just select use my own keys in the drop down menu.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

20 Jun 2016, 17:11

In for a F62 in ISO with layout choice GERMAN. Really curious what that is going to be.

Ellipse

21 Jun 2016, 02:33

Great Wodan! The layout is intended to be similar to the IBM Model M German layout: f-o-r-s-a-l-e-f58/ibm-model-m-german-is ... t3436.html

Wodan
ISO Advocate

21 Jun 2016, 08:37

How will the legends be done for custom international layouts?
Lasered ? Dye sublimation ?
Maybe getting the mods & function keys dye sublimated like the rest and only the localized keys lasered if required ?

That would still allow me to put some nice IBM Dye sublimated alphanumerics on the board to match the nice modifiers ...

hammelgammler
Vintage

21 Jun 2016, 08:57

I think the only option for buckling spring keys are dyesubs. Unicomp will make custom dyesub keycaps with their tools.

roboticus

21 Jun 2016, 12:34

I just want to confirm- the blank key sets being produced are PBT right?

argh decision time.. do i go industrial with white/pebble blanks or do i go black/black blanks?? what do you guys think?

buying both is not an option elrick :ugeek:

Ellipse

21 Jun 2016, 14:27

Legends will be dye sub. I am also looking into pad printed white legends for the black keys.

Yes they are all pbt. Nothing will be lasered.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

21 Jun 2016, 14:30

Giggity !!!

Ellipse

22 Jun 2016, 04:03

Die cast metal case molds should be finished this week! Here are some photos from the factory:
case molds final week of production (8).jpg
case molds final week of production (8).jpg (125.17 KiB) Viewed 6643 times
case molds final week of production (6).jpg
case molds final week of production (6).jpg (105.15 KiB) Viewed 6643 times
case molds final week of production (5).jpg
case molds final week of production (5).jpg (74.49 KiB) Viewed 6643 times
case molds final week of production (9).jpg
case molds final week of production (9).jpg (67.19 KiB) Viewed 6643 times
case molds final week of production (1).jpg
case molds final week of production (1).jpg (143.52 KiB) Viewed 6643 times
case molds final week of production (2).jpg
case molds final week of production (2).jpg (148.83 KiB) Viewed 6643 times
case molds final week of production (3).jpg
case molds final week of production (3).jpg (185.25 KiB) Viewed 6643 times
case molds final week of production (4).jpg
case molds final week of production (4).jpg (87.9 KiB) Viewed 6643 times
case molds final week of production (7).jpg
case molds final week of production (7).jpg (137.37 KiB) Viewed 6643 times

lot_lizard

22 Jun 2016, 04:59

Absolutely gorgeous... These guys machine very well. Results will be amazing

strah

22 Jun 2016, 11:40

Thank you Ellipse for posting all these timely status updates, it makes waiting for the board so much easier, knowing how professionally and meticulously these boards are being produced. I'm very confident this will be a phenomenal board, when it ships!

Elrick

22 Jun 2016, 12:18

strah wrote: I'm very confident this will be a phenomenal board, when it ships!
FACT - It'll be the ONLY Model-F Keyboard worth owning in your Life :!: .

kekstee

22 Jun 2016, 15:36

I just wanted to add a black unprinted set to my order. But I noticed that it charges $15 extra for the 6 missing HHKB keys. Sounds reasonable for a printed set, but the only thing missing for black blank would be the short right shift. Do we have to spend that much money on one keycap?

Ellipse

23 Jun 2016, 02:02

kekstee I have to pay for those new key molds somehow :)

Elrick

23 Jun 2016, 04:03

kekstee wrote: Do we have to spend that much money on one keycap?
Always perplexed with these type of postings from HHKB lovers :lol: .

Thought that your keyboard was the WORLDs Best, according to every one who own's it, so what happened?

Then gettng someone to make you a Model-F keyboard on the cheap, whilst the rest of us who paid for the normal Model-F layout are left to ponder why you lot should get any special treatment? If you still want that HHKB layout sunshine then you will have to PAY for it.

Nothing is FREE in life and if you want that infernal HHKB layout then that shall be true here. Although Ellipse is too kind in allowing this to occur because this Group Buy, which should of only been one or two layouts. Everything would of gone through quicker and much more efficiently, than what is currently happening.

The sacrifice of the whole to appease a tiny few, seems off kilter in the scheme of things......

Return to “Group buys”