F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

Aer Fixus

20 Sep 2015, 21:27

These look very nice so far. With all the care and detail put into them, I'm going to try to save up enough money to get one.

I'm super hyped about this, even if I don't get one immediately.

andrewjoy

21 Sep 2015, 11:30

The backplate looks like a real one , as does the top plate. FANTASTIC!
Muirium wrote: I bet Model F barrels and flippers will be quite popular. I'll need some barrels myself.
I may "borrow" the barrels and caps form my AT , i never use it anyway.

Ellipse

22 Sep 2015, 05:57

Thanks Andrew! but what if you want to sell the AT down the line? You would only save $25 or so by reusing your older barrels and flippers/springs. Then you could not sell the two keyboards separately unless you got extra barrels elsewhere.

pr0ximity

24 Sep 2015, 04:04

These look unreal!! I'm pretty happy with my 107-key, but man these pictures are making me want to splurge on a factory-new F77...

Topre Enthusiast

24 Sep 2015, 04:24

I can't believe I'm thinking of getting one of these after just parting with the real deal. Very impressive work and I'm pleasantly surprised by the progress made so far.

Ellipse

24 Sep 2015, 07:20

Thanks pr0ximity and 002!

Here are two more prototype photos showing a nice fit of the top and bottom inner assembly, which slide together like the original.
20150923_152513.jpg
20150923_152513.jpg (723.62 KiB) Viewed 6174 times
20150923_152509.jpg
20150923_152509.jpg (808.57 KiB) Viewed 6174 times

fishcola

24 Sep 2015, 08:31

Gawd, every time I check on this thread I get more excited! I might be missing something, but how exactly could a buzzer be implemented in something like the F77? Is it doable? And if so, what additional parts would be required? Don't know much about keyboard buzzers.

potatowire

24 Sep 2015, 15:03

Ellipse wrote: Thanks pr0ximity and 002!

Here are two more prototype photos showing a nice fit of the top and bottom inner assembly, which slide together like the original.
20150923_152513.jpg
20150923_152509.jpg
This is shaping up amazingly well! Each update impresses me more than the last.

Khers

24 Sep 2015, 17:07

Sure is! Every update seem to confirm that cutting down on keyboard/keycap spending a while back in order to have an easier time getting this past my wife was a wise decision! :)

Ellipse

28 Sep 2015, 02:35

Thanks khers and potatowire!

Fishcola-yes you can add an original 4704 buzzer or whatever is supported by xwhatsit's Model f usb controller. The cases have enough room though there is no hole to adjust the buzzer volume like the original (maybe a DIY mod can add that).

It is definitely a major investment - we are all putting in $35,000 plus, assuming 100+ orders (we are now at 130+ preorders!)

I hope to have prototypes by the end of October and take orders in November assuming the prototypes are up to my standards.

modology

01 Oct 2015, 17:32

Can't wait. I really want to get my hands on the boards before xmas

atlas3686

02 Oct 2015, 13:01

Ellipse wrote: Thanks khers and potatowire!

Fishcola-yes you can add an original 4704 buzzer or whatever is supported by xwhatsit's Model f usb controller. The cases have enough room though there is no hole to adjust the buzzer volume like the original (maybe a DIY mod can add that).

It is definitely a major investment - we are all putting in $35,000 plus, assuming 100+ orders (we are now at 130+ preorders!)

I hope to have prototypes by the end of October and take orders in November assuming the prototypes are up to my standards.
Just got through all 16 pages and WOW Ellipse, this is sounding amazing. I had written it off initially as I had no interest in an inferior copy of a kish at $350 but after hearing and seeing everything I am really impressed. Just waiting to see the prototype and make sure my finances can handle it but I'm thinking you will have another order here and probably with the HHKB style split. Just a pity we can't get a 1.75u shift without a step.

Look forward to updates.

hexpyws

02 Oct 2015, 17:39

This whole thing is VERY exciting!

Can not wait!!

Ellipse

02 Oct 2015, 18:05

Thanks atlas and hexpyws! Yes the materials will be the same as the original where feasible and the manufacturing tolerances will meet or exceed the original 1980s manufacturing capabilities - lots of steel, zinc, and aluminum! Thanks to the significant interest at around 140 preorders so far, I can confirm the $325 bring your own keys pricing and $350 with keys pricing.

Would anyone prefer used but original old IBM/Lexmark Model M keys? I may be able to get a hold of about 20 keyboards. They would probably be around the same cost.

hexpyws

02 Oct 2015, 18:29

Ellipse wrote:
Would anyone prefer used but original old IBM/Lexmark Model M keys? I may be able to get a hold of about 20 keyboards. They would probably be around the same cost.
I personally would prefer new everything even if that means slightly inferior Unicomp caps

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

02 Oct 2015, 23:12

Ellipse wrote: Would anyone prefer used but original old IBM/Lexmark Model M keys? I may be able to get a hold of about 20 keyboards. They would probably be around the same cost.
If you end up doing this let me know, I'd love to get some controllers out of them.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

03 Oct 2015, 01:57

I would strongly prefer blank new caps, but I might just used take original caps if that's not an option.

Do you plan to offer blanks?

andrewjoy

03 Oct 2015, 10:49

Ellipse wrote:
Model F 1 part caps would be better :) salvaged form a bigfoot.

However an answer to your question.

I would be happy with IBM made caps ( not Lexmark) .

The most important thing is the sliders that the 2 part caps sit on. As long as they are old IBM ones unicomp caps will do fine for the tops. I already have an APL set i could use.

Ellipse

05 Oct 2015, 01:12

Thanks Andrew - though the Unicomp caps would come with Unicomp stems. And some of the 1991 or later Model M's may have been made by Lexmark even though the label only mentions IBM. You'd probably be on your own if you wanted to use Model F keys as I cannot get a hold of a supply of those.

I also plan on doing a bulk Unicomp order for new key sets, so I suggest ordering keys for your F77/F62 through me so that I can install them on your ordered keyboard and test the keys - otherwise I will need to install and then remove caps to test each keyboard.

Assuming a layout similar to a 1391401, It looks like each keyboard will require $34 in Unicomp key parts - 4 stabilizer inserts ($1.50 each), a spacebar ($3), and a key set ($25 printed key set or $20 unprinted key set). If there is a less expensive option please let me know - I asked if there was a bulk discount but they did not offer one.

Hypersphere

05 Oct 2015, 01:47

@Ellipse: Your plan for Unicomp caps looks fine to me. This is a small marginal cost weighed against the cost of the keyboard.

Chrisism

05 Oct 2015, 03:35

This IC/GB is starting to look real nice. two questions though,

1) what type of stabilizers with the spacebar be using?

2) will it be possible to buy extra barrel/flipper/spring sets?

Ellipse

05 Oct 2015, 03:57

Chris - The stabilizers will be metal, shown in this photo: http://deskthority.net/resources/image/23693 - it will hopefully be an improvement over the original brittle plastic stabilizers.

Yep you can buy extras!

Chrisism

05 Oct 2015, 04:22

Awesome!

sorry I missed the little stabs on that photo, although I might (maybe) not be getting a kishclone, I will more then likely be getting some of those barrels and springs.

Will continue keeping an eye on this!

Vizir

05 Oct 2015, 14:55

It's funny... Unicomp should not only be giving you a discount, they should either offer to hire you or outright offer to buy the info so they can start producing these keyboards themselves.

I'm OK with the price of the keycaps.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

05 Oct 2015, 15:16

There is just one special thing I would ask for in the keycaps, and maybe Unicomp would work with you on this: In their "Small batch limited edition" section they have number keys with F1 - F12 printed on the front. If they can substitute those in for the regular number row keys in the full keysets you are ordering, I think the vast majority of us would prefer that, since these keyboards don't have a function key block.

andrewjoy

05 Oct 2015, 15:22

Techno Trousers wrote: There is just one special thing I would ask for in the keycaps, and maybe Unicomp would work with you on this: In their "Small batch limited edition" section they have number keys with F1 - F12 printed on the front. If they can substitute those in for the regular number row keys in the full keysets you are ordering, I think the vast majority of us would prefer that, since these keyboards don't have a function key block.
if they could do that with APL on the front i would use unicomp caps

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

05 Oct 2015, 15:29

They do sell a full APL keyset!

modology

06 Oct 2015, 01:39

I'm ok with keycap price too.

djkib

08 Oct 2015, 02:06

I just filled out my interest form... This is amazing...

I just picked up two grey-label IBM Model M's near me for $10 each... I plan to use the keys from those to build out my board.

I look forward to watching this as progress continues... truly an amazing build!

Ellipse

09 Oct 2015, 04:41

Nice DJ! Who would have imagined we are up to 146 preorders after about three months?

Here is another photo showing the 6-32 thread hole on the bottom inner assembly. A 6-32 screw will be used to ground the PCB against the bottom inner assembly.
20150921_152652(0) - Copy.jpg
20150921_152652(0) - Copy.jpg (722.14 KiB) Viewed 5399 times

Return to “Group buys”