JD45 KEYBOARD PRE-ORDERS

jdcarpe

19 Feb 2016, 15:57

JD45 Mechanical Keyboard

Introducing the JD45 keyboard from Carpe Keyboards, a 40% form factor mini keyboard which combines an ultra compact size with standard key stagger and full programmability. Designed by J.D. Carpenter (aka jdcarpe), and manufactured by TEX Electronics Co. in Taiwan.

> > > ORDER HERE < < <
Prices start at $179.99, plus shipping.

Orders will be taken until 23:59 UTC on 2016-03-19. Any unpaid orders at that time will be canceled.

Note: You have the choice of purchasing a fully assembled JD45 keyboard, which will include soldered switches with keycaps, or purchasing a DIY kit with the parts you will need to build the keyboard yourself. You also have your choice of case colors, switch types (assembled only), and switch plates (DIY only).

Anodized Aluminum Case Housing

The foundation of the JD45 keyboard is a case housing milled from a solid piece of aircraft-grade aluminum. Each case is milled using a CNC process for outstanding precision. Material is 6061 aluminum alloy, which gives the small keyboard a satisfying heft, and a solid, premium typing experience. Finally, the case is anodized in either silver or black color, for that ultimate finished look. Optionally, there is available a version of the case with blocked corners, which emulates the aesthetic of the wildly popular Happy Hacking Keyboard. Available in black or silver colors.

Case in silver color, shown with blocked corners (optional)

JD45 PCB

The PCB is the heart of any keyboard. Designed by Wilba, the JD45 PCB features white silkscreen printing on a red solder mask, and comes pre-programmed with a standard layout. It is, however, also fully programmable! With an ATmega32U4 controller on-board, it is compatible with hasu's TMK firmware, metalliqaz's Easy AVR, or other compatible AVR-based firmwares. The PCB is compatible with both MX and ALPS switches, and all components of the assembled keyboard are installed at the factory. DIY PCBs have component electronics pre-soldered, to include diodes and resistors, so the PCB is ready for installation of key switches and optional LEDs.

Front view

Back view

Switch Plates

Included with every assembled keyboard and DIY kit, the switch plate is essential for stable mounting of the MX or Alps switches. Assembled keyboards will include a color matched anodized aluminum switch plate with standard layout only, which support MX switches. DIY kits will include your choice of switch plate, whether fixed-layout Alps mount, or universal MX mount, in either standard or blocked corner (MX only) versions.

MX Universal layout switch plate

Alps switch plate

Switches & Keycaps

With the assembled keyboard, you have your choice of MX switches, as well the inclusion of keycaps. Available switch types include genuine Cherry MX blue, brown, black, or red switches. Cherry mechanical key switches are manufactured by ZF Electronics, and have a proven record of reliability, rated to 50 million key presses. Included keycaps are uniform OEM profile, ABS keycaps with printed legends.

Specs

CNC Milled Case Housing
  • Anodized aluminum
  • Available colors: Black or silver
  • Standard rectangular, or with blocked corners

PCB
  • Pre-soldered
  • Pre-programmed
  • Standard layout
  • MX and Alps switch footprints
  • LED-ready
  • Programmable with TMK, Easy AVR, or other firmware

Switch Plate
  • Anodized aluminum, color matched with case colors
  • Available colors: Black or silver
  • Standard rectangular, or with blocked corners
  • MX standard layout (included with assembled keyboard)
  • MX universal, which supports all switch layouts available on PCB, includes cutouts for easy switch opening, DIY option only
  • Alps standard layout, DIY option only

Key switches
  • Cherry MX Blue
  • Cherry MX Brown
  • Cherry MX Black
  • Cherry MX Red

Keycaps
  • Durable ABS plastic
  • Uniform OEM profile
  • Printed legends, with front printed function layer legends

Shipping

All Domestic and International orders will be shipped personally by J.D.

All pre-orders placed in this group buy will be manufactured to order. Estimated ship date is June 30, 2016.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

FAQ

Q: When does the buy close?

A: 23:59 UTC on 2016-03-19

Q: Can I buy a [plate/PCB/case] separately?

A: Unfortunately, I am unable to sell kit components, such as the case, plate, or PCB, separately. These are packaged as keyboards and kits by the manufacturer, and I will be shipping them all personally from my home, without repackaging the items. Logistically, it is unreasonable for me to offer individual components for sale, as I would never realistically be able to fulfill orders within a sensible time frame.

Q: Are keycaps included with the DIY kit? Are there different color options for the keycaps?

A: Also, the decision was made early on not to offer keycaps with the DIY kits, as it would raise the cost of the kit beyond what I personally would want to pay. I assume that with a DIY kit, people will want to bring their own switches and keycaps. Only black keycaps with white legends are available, and only with the assembled keyboard package.

Q: Is the plate necessary?

A: For MX switches, no, the plate is completely optional when using PCB-mount switches. If you were to purchase an assembled kit, and later remove the plate in order to change the layout, that is perfectly fine. Alps switches, of course, require a plate.

Q: Can I mix Alps and MX switches with the DIY kit?

A: Yes! In fact, the MX universal layout plate will accept Alps switches, due to the design of the switch holes. It's a hidden feature.

Q: Does this keyboard have LED backlighting? RGB? Underglow?

A: The PCB does support LED backlighting, but LEDs are not included in any version, assembled or DIY. In fact, resistors are pre-soldered to the PCB for all versions. RGB LEDs are not supported, nor does the PCB have support for LED underglow. LEDs for backlighting are addressed as a group, not individually.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

JD45 KEYBOARD DEFAULT LAYOUT

JD45 KEY SIZE REFERENCE

ALL KEYBOARD LAYOUT OPTIONS

(all the options below the main section are bottom row options)

Red = not compatible with Alps switch
Amber = suboptimal Alps support (pad isn't pretty but it will work)
Last edited by jdcarpe on 20 Feb 2016, 19:24, edited 7 times in total.

Muirium
µ

19 Feb 2016, 16:03

Nicely done! Good luck with this JD. The case really makes it. The final piece so many custom boards try their best to forget!

Alps support: what about hybrid layouts with Alps alphas and MX mods? Alps caps are hard to source. Alphas are doable though.

jdcarpe

19 Feb 2016, 16:28

Muirium wrote: Nicely done! Good luck with this JD. The case really makes it. The final piece so many custom boards try their best to forget!

Alps support: what about hybrid layouts with Alps alphas and MX mods? Alps caps are hard to source. Alphas are doable though.
Thank you, Muirium!

You can definitely make a hybrid layout of Alps and MX. The keyboard doesn't care what type of switch you have soldered in! Great point about the Alps mods.

Muirium
µ

19 Feb 2016, 16:35

The plate does care, however. MX and Alps switches need different cutouts. I'd suggest making the Alps plate a hybrid, simply because of the Mission Impossible nature of sourcing all those specific mods!

Zaphir

19 Feb 2016, 16:42

The keyboard looks good, small and minimalistic. And the alu case is always a plus.

But I could never get used to a 60% let alone a 40%... lol. It's just not for me.
But I'm sure there's people interested in this.

Best of luck with this project!

Matt_

19 Feb 2016, 16:46

This one is not for me, but good luck with everything!

JotaCe

19 Feb 2016, 16:53

I suppose there's no chance of selling only the PCB or PCB + plate?

jdcarpe

19 Feb 2016, 17:07

Muirium wrote: The plate does care, however. MX and Alps switches need different cutouts. I'd suggest making the Alps plate a hybrid, simply because of the Mission Impossible nature of sourcing all those specific mods!
Ah, well the MX universal layout plate actually supports Alps switches, due to the design of the switch holes. It's a hidden feature.

jdcarpe

19 Feb 2016, 17:17

JotaCe wrote: I suppose there's no chance of selling only the PCB or PCB + plate?
Unfortunately, I am unable to sell kit components, such as the case, plate, or PCB, separately. These are packaged as keyboards and kits by the manufacturer, and I will be shipping them all personally from my home, without repackaging the items. Logistically, it is unreasonable for me to offer individual components for sale, as I would never realistically be able to fulfill orders within a sensible time frame.

JotaCe

19 Feb 2016, 18:24

That's what I figured. If there was a way of making it wireless (either BT or RF) and add a trackpoint, it would be one of my endgame boards.

Either way, it looks awesome and best of luck with the project :)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

19 Feb 2016, 18:28

I must confess even as a batleship lover I find it does look nice - and complete programmability no doubt is an asset.
But then I would need two of them, one per hand :mrgreen:

Good luck!

jdcarpe

19 Feb 2016, 18:34

Actually, I have already discussed with Justin at TEX that we should add a trackpoint to a future version of the JD45.

And, one person already got his JD45 prototype working with BT. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62 ... msg1921653

Muirium
µ

19 Feb 2016, 18:35

Careful now. Osborne Effect!

Right enough, the smaller the board, the bigger the case for Bluetooth.

jdcarpe

19 Feb 2016, 18:43

True! But people definitely need to purchase one of these now, to train that muscle memory for any future versions that might be released.

c2lknt

20 Feb 2016, 21:01

Great work! This looks great. The main failing for me of the JD40 (and almost all 40s) is the inability to use Colemak. I'm hoping I can scrounge up the cash in time. If I wanted it assembled, but not with those switches, can I send you some switches to use instead?

jdcarpe

20 Feb 2016, 21:16

c2lknt wrote: Great work! This looks great. The main failing for me of the JD40 (and almost all 40s) is the inability to use Colemak. I'm hoping I can scrounge up the cash in time. If I wanted it assembled, but not with those switches, can I send you some switches to use instead?
Actually, all assembly is being done by TEX. They are packaging the assembled keyboards and DIY kits for me, and I am shipping them all personally from my home, without repackaging the items. Logistically, it is unreasonable for me to accept assembly work orders, as I doubt I would be able to fulfill orders within a sensible time frame. However, desoldering and soldering of switches is not all that difficult, and you don't need a very expensive soldering setup to accomplish it.

photekq
Cherry Picker

20 Feb 2016, 21:26

Brilliant work JD. I'll have to pass on this one due to the layout, but I wish you good luck with the GB. I'm sure you won't need it though ;)

c2lknt

20 Feb 2016, 22:00

jdcarpe wrote:
c2lknt wrote: Great work! This looks great. The main failing for me of the JD40 (and almost all 40s) is the inability to use Colemak. I'm hoping I can scrounge up the cash in time. If I wanted it assembled, but not with those switches, can I send you some switches to use instead?
Actually, all assembly is being done by TEX. They are packaging the assembled keyboards and DIY kits for me, and I am shipping them all personally from my home, without repackaging the items. Logistically, it is unreasonable for me to accept assembly work orders, as I doubt I would be able to fulfill orders within a sensible time frame. However, desoldering and soldering of switches is not all that difficult, and you don't need a very expensive soldering setup to accomplish it.
Gotcha - yeah, since I made this post, I read a lot of the GH thread and realized you aren't doing this in your garage.

I should get into soldering. I have an old iron that was my dad's. And I know there are low-risk ways of learning, but I'm still a little gun-shy - I've only destroyed things with a soldering iron - but the last time I tried, it was before there were thousands of internet tutorials for every human task ever.

Return to “Group buys”