OshPark Replacement Badge for IBM Model M

User avatar
Invisius

05 Jul 2016, 20:08

Add me to the received list. Just got them today and agree that they really came out fantastic!

We should definitely do more rounds with the SSK design. Big thanks to everyone involved in the project.

User avatar
Halvar

05 Jul 2016, 20:43

Got mine today, too. I agree, they turned out terrific!

Thanks a lot, wcass and seebart. :geek: :geek:

User avatar
pyrelink

06 Jul 2016, 03:03

Got mine a few days ago. Look great, very happy with these.

User avatar
Elrick

06 Jul 2016, 06:36

When you actually receive them just look at the PERFECT IBM Silver Coloured Slats (don't know what to call them) and they do not have any defects whatsoever.

yangdaddy

06 Jul 2016, 18:26

I received mine yesterday and am really happy with how they turned out. I want to order 100 more and put them on everything I own!
Thank you very much Seebart!

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

06 Jul 2016, 20:06

OK, glad to hear many of you got your badges, if Elrick got his all the way in Australia I guess everyone has recieved theirs. alh84001 yours is going out soon as requested.

If you did not get your badges by now please PM me!

I finally got around to having a look at how this reproduction looks on its intended host, this is an original IBM industrial case from webwit with a 1390133 from 1987 inside. I have not cleaned up the edges of this badge before taking these pictures!

A pretty clean FRANKEN M :ugeek:
IMGP3377.JPG
IMGP3377.JPG (955.38 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
IMGP3368.JPG
IMGP3368.JPG (908.25 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
IMGP3390.JPG
IMGP3390.JPG (971.03 KiB) Viewed 2575 times

User avatar
wcass

06 Jul 2016, 21:44

Yep, that looks awesome.

I'm glad everyone likes them - it was fun to design.

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

06 Jul 2016, 22:09

wcass wrote: Yep, that looks awesome.

I'm glad everyone likes them - it was fun to design.
Thanks to your clean gerber file they look great, good work!

User avatar
snuci
Vintage computer guy

07 Jul 2016, 01:07

Thanks for posting a final pic in a snappy case. I wasn't sure how the "carbon fiber" look would look; and in an industrial case too! It does look awesome. Now maybe wcass can design SSK labels. I can help out shipping in North America, if it helps.

User avatar
wcass

07 Jul 2016, 03:29

I think i might have posted this before, but here you go.

It has NOT been test-fit yet (i don't have an SSK). i would not suggest a big order until after a good test. I know that one person has just ordered this size. If someone else wants to test it out, remember to select the option for "2 once copper on 0.8 mm". Delivery time will be about 3 weeks from OshPark, but cost will only be about $3
Attachments
GerbersSSK.zip
(4.06 KiB) Downloaded 56 times

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

13 Jul 2016, 16:01

A interesting situation, I got this email from pcbway today. Now either this is just an error on pcbway's part or the person placing that order has a problem because they will not get their order this way.

So if any of you here placed an order with pcbway recently you better get in touch with them because I won't pay for anything that arrives here since I did not order anything. I did send them an email just now about this and hopefully this is just some error. Here, see for youself:

Unbenannt.JPG
Unbenannt.JPG (81.09 KiB) Viewed 2524 times
Unbenannt2.JPG
Unbenannt2.JPG (146.25 KiB) Viewed 2524 times
UPDATE:

I just had a nice email chat with Aimee from pcbway, according to her and the DHL tracking the order is going to Leeds in the UK. Good luck with your order!

User avatar
Elrick

14 Jul 2016, 03:01

seebart wrote: I just had a nice email chat with Aimee from pcbway, according to her and the DHL tracking the order is going to Leeds in the UK. Good luck with your order!
Have a feeling that Melanie Brown probably ordered it because she did say on her twitter account that her Model-M needed some restoration work.

And you know what they say;

Swing it, shake it, move it, make it, who do you think you are?
Trust it, use it, prove it, groove it, show me how good you are.

User avatar
Alkhar

14 Jul 2016, 11:58

wobbled wrote: I actually went to PCBWay and provided them with the order number and asked that they produce more and send to me, they did it! I can finally put an authentic looking badge on an industrial of mine.
Is this the person we are looking for ?

User avatar
Halvar

14 Jul 2016, 13:20

Now we finally know what zigazig ah really really was.

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

14 Jul 2016, 14:24

Alkhar wrote:
wobbled wrote: I actually went to PCBWay and provided them with the order number and asked that they produce more and send to me, they did it! I can finally put an authentic looking badge on an industrial of mine.
Is this the person we are looking for ?
Yes that's right, it's all cleared up. wobbled placed a repeat order of the same badges that I ordered for us and I got the notification automatically. No big deal now that I know, Aimee Huang from PCBWay was pretty quick to clear this up.

Enjoy your badges wobbled!

User avatar
XMIT
[ XMIT ]

16 Jul 2016, 02:48

wobbled, I'll take some badges. I'll send you a PM.

User avatar
romevi

02 Aug 2016, 19:05

Hey peeps, I got my badges for the SSK from the files wcass uploaded earlier. They look beautiful. I haven't used the badges from this GB for the full-sized Model M, so I'm not sure how the fit should be. From my vantage they look a bit too wide vertically. Horizontally, they flush quite well in the crevice, but they seem to stretch a bit at the top and bottom.

My apologies that I couldn't take better shots; I should stop buying keyboard- and retro-game-related paraphernalia and get a decent camera.

Image

Image

Image

As you may notice, I inadvertently chewed off a bit too much on the sides with my nippers, so sorry for the gore.

Anyone in the States who's ordered and used a badge from this GB, and who owns an SSK, willing to test-fit one? I'd like to get a second opinion before I go ahead and glue this on. I can send one for free with a stamped envelope.

User avatar
wcass

02 Aug 2016, 19:45

Thanks for the update!
I'll post an new gerber zip file when I get home later today.

User avatar
XMIT
[ XMIT ]

02 Aug 2016, 20:01

I have 100 more full size badges headed my way from PCBway. lot_lizard will eventually get a bunch of them.

I'd like some SSK badges, I'll shoot you a PM.

User avatar
Chyros

02 Aug 2016, 21:58

XMIT wrote: I have 100 more full size badges headed my way from PCBway. lot_lizard will eventually get a bunch of them.

I'd like some SSK badges, I'll shoot you a PM.
Holy shitballs, someone's got plans for something :lol: .

User avatar
snuci
Vintage computer guy

03 Aug 2016, 01:56

romevi wrote: As you may notice, I inadvertently chewed off a bit too much on the sides with my nippers, so sorry for the gore.

Anyone in the States who's ordered and used a badge from this GB, and who owns an SSK, willing to test-fit one? I'd like to get a second opinion before I go ahead and glue this on. I can send one for free with a stamped envelope.
I also ordered a small lot of 10 of the SSK badges from wcass' file. I didn't pick a quick shipping option because I figured it would go regular post at that size. When I get them, I can check mine. I also got the normal M badges from seebart so I'll have both. How can I help?

User avatar
wcass

03 Aug 2016, 02:09

Here you go.

The old one was .850" wide by .600" high; this one is .855" by .570"
For you metric folk, old = 21.59 x 15.24 mm; new = 21.72 x 14.48 mm
The aspect ratio of the new one is exactly 3:2

I also added a mask over the entire back - to make it slightly thinner. Just remove that "BottomMask.gbr" from the zip file if you want smooth solder mask on the back.
Attachments
SSKv2.zip
(4.42 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

Caeyden

04 Aug 2016, 16:39

Is it still possible to hop on to this GB? I'd be interested in getting a couple of the SSK badges that seems to be happening.

User avatar
XMIT
[ XMIT ]

04 Aug 2016, 17:20

Chyros wrote:
XMIT wrote: I have 100 more full size badges headed my way from PCBway. lot_lizard will eventually get a bunch of them.

I'd like some SSK badges, I'll shoot you a PM.
Holy shitballs, someone's got plans for something :lol: .
Nah. Planning to keep some in stock for future Cerakote projects. lot_lizard will get a bunch for his projects later on.

The price jump from 20 to 100 was minimal, so why not? :lol:

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

04 Aug 2016, 17:29

Yeah pcbway's pricing is pretty good, I'm sure there is plenty competition. Shipping was the unproductive factor as usual.

User avatar
romevi

04 Aug 2016, 18:22

snuci wrote:
romevi wrote: As you may notice, I inadvertently chewed off a bit too much on the sides with my nippers, so sorry for the gore.

Anyone in the States who's ordered and used a badge from this GB, and who owns an SSK, willing to test-fit one? I'd like to get a second opinion before I go ahead and glue this on. I can send one for free with a stamped envelope.
I also ordered a small lot of 10 of the SSK badges from wcass' file. I didn't pick a quick shipping option because I figured it would go regular post at that size. When I get them, I can check mine. I also got the normal M badges from seebart so I'll have both. How can I help?
Great!

Mainly I was hoping to get a second opinion on the dimensions. I didn't join the original GB and have no Model M anymore, so I can't tell how the badges are supposed to fit. My experience is only with the file by wcass and my SSK, so I just wanted to get an opinion from someone who owns the Model M badge and has an SSK to see how they compare in their respective fittings.

Vizir

09 Aug 2016, 16:08

I have a SSK but no badge. I'd be interested in a SSK badge. If you need to test fit, I am willing to help.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

User avatar
wobbled

09 Aug 2016, 20:25

These badges look almost identical to the original industrial badges! Unfortunately I managed to scratch my industrial case recently but it does still look pretty damn neat.
20160809_191558.jpg
20160809_191558.jpg (4.57 MiB) Viewed 2163 times

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

09 Aug 2016, 21:55

wobbled wrote: These badges look almost identical to the original industrial badges! Unfortunately I managed to scratch my industrial case recently but it does still look pretty damn neat.
Nice. looks great.

User avatar
snuci
Vintage computer guy

20 Aug 2016, 17:41

I now have both sets of badges. The IBM M badge is from seebart's group buy and the IBM SSK badge is from the first file that wcass made here.

Please note that these are close up pics and while the edge looks off, it's actually exacerbated by the extra thickness of the new badge. Both badges fit very well. Also note, it's really hard to get 100% accurate measurements so the numbers shown are just for illustration of the final product. Thanks wcass!

IBM M Badge added to a blue label 42H1296 keyboard. It's got a weird original label in that it's very thin and flexible with a silver back. It was very difficult to take accurate dimensions because the label was in bad shape when I started (hence my first candidate). The new label is very stiff so showing the dimensions was easy. I did NO modifications. This is "as is" out of the box.
IBM M Badge - Old length
IBM M Badge - Old length
IBM M Badge - Old length.jpg (307.47 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
IBM M Badge - Old width
IBM M Badge - Old width
IBM M Badge - Old width.jpg (301.72 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
IBM M Badge - New length
IBM M Badge - New length
IBM M Badge - New length.jpg (306.61 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
IBM M Badge - New width
IBM M Badge - New width
IBM M Badge - New width.jpg (292.53 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
IBM M Badge - New installed
IBM M Badge - New installed
IBM M Badge - New installed.jpg (258.27 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
The IBM SSK badge was ordered from PCBWay ad took a while to arrive. I didn't pay extra for quicker shipping and ordered 10 because at the point I ordered, nobody had done so yet so there was no other examples to see if dimensions were correct. I know wcass made an adjustment and has a different version but I think the original file I used is just fine.

This SSK old blue logo is stiff plastic like I expect almost all of them are. Dimensions are pretty accurate.
IBM SSK Badge - Old length
IBM SSK Badge - Old length
IBM SSK Badge - Old length.jpg (282.06 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
IBM SSK Badge - Old width
IBM SSK Badge - Old width
IBM SSK Badge - Old width.jpg (273.34 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
IBM SSK Badge - New length
IBM SSK Badge - New length
IBM SSK Badge - New length.jpg (286.49 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
IBM SSK Badge - New width
IBM SSK Badge - New width
IBM SSK Badge - New width.jpg (281.93 KiB) Viewed 2089 times
IBM SSK Badge - New installed
IBM SSK Badge - New installed
IBM SSK Badge - New installed.jpg (255.36 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
Hope this helps.

Post Reply

Return to “Group buys”