[IC] GMK Coniferous - GMK quote this week

donutcat

30 Oct 2016, 03:12

This is sort of a mid-stage interest check for my keyset Coniferous. As the title states this is a GMK keyset, so 1-1-2-3-4-4 Cherry profile, thick doubleshot ABS, and a single kit that I hope covers many layouts in as efficient a manner as possible.

Alphas will be U9 with N7 legends, mods will be N9 with N7 legends, and the accent keys will be N7 with U9 legends. Below is the GMK colors that I am going off of.

I am not claiming that this is a completely original design. Beige/light grey alphas with darker mods is a popular scheme and I wanted to put a personal twist on it that I hadn't seen before, and I didn't have to look far for inspiration. Looking at the pine wood that we often cut for firewood, fresh pine shavings against the dark brown to grey bark with green needles scattered around, I saw the contrast that I've tried to recreate here. I'm also working closely with a friend to design a novelty cap that I feel will go perfectly with the set, but you'll have to wait for me to spoil that.

At this point in time, I'm in contact with GMK and working on the initial quote as well as their render mockup. As this is still early on, changes can still be made such as colors to some degree, caps included, and various details. I know someone mentioned to me that N9 accents on the N7 keys would look better, but I'll need to see wider support for that before changing it. I definitely want your opinions on the caps I've included as I believe I've accommodated most layouts except large orthos, dox, and perhaps a few other niche layouts.

For group buy plans, I'm am planning on running this buy through my site I sell sleeved cables at, http://donutcables.are.seriously.moe/ . I feel this is preferable to Massdrop as their schedule is full until earlyish next year, and I'll be able to more closely work with community members such as Dave of the Mech Keys West Discord, who would be helping to reduce the, imho extortionate, shipping costs for those in Canada who would be participating.
Last edited by donutcat on 30 Oct 2016, 22:51, edited 2 times in total.

gnmar2723

30 Oct 2016, 04:20

Looks really nice, definitely interested! Are you planning to do everything in one kit or are you going to split it up into a base and adapter kits.

donutcat

30 Oct 2016, 04:30

I think it really depends on how the quote works out and the way that interest falls. If it's cheaper and more beneficial to those interested in the set to split it into kits, then that's the path I'll take, otherwise just a single kit since that's how I've almost always seen GMK buys done.

gnmar2723

30 Oct 2016, 04:59

Excellent! I'll definitely be following this. You should post this over in /r/mk and /r/mechmarket as well, they would love it!

donutcat

30 Oct 2016, 05:03

I'm actually waiting until I get the GMK renders for that. Here I can edit the main post and it'll pop up to the top as stuff is updated, but on Reddit it's harder to keep a post easily in view.

gnmar2723

30 Oct 2016, 05:51

Very true. You kinda just have to repost on Reddit every week or so with updates. I have a few other questions I thought of. Will the mods be text only or icon only or the usual mix? Bars or scoops? What is the win logo gonna be text, blank, 95, 7/vista, or 8/10

donutcat

30 Oct 2016, 06:29

Talking with the GMK rep I told him text/icon mix, but I'm not entirely certain what all that covers. I hadn't really thought about winkey icon choices or homing keys. I figure bars for the homing keys and a poll for the winkey icons. I am partial to the 95 one though.

rominronin

30 Oct 2016, 09:42

looks nice
colemak? planck? 1u modifiers?

donutcat

30 Oct 2016, 21:16

As far as I've seen, no GMK buy has ever done alternative alpha layouts simply due to the increased cost for adding so many keys, which in my opinion is the main downfall of going with a sculpted profile such as Cherry rather than a uniform such as DSA. For planck/ortho layouts I did try to include enough of each profile 1u keys even if they're not the proper ones, but I could look into more adequate ortho support if there's enough people interested to make the cost worth it.

duynguyenle

31 Oct 2016, 01:20

UK support is a go for me! Can you give us an idea of pricing? What about getting an EU proxy so we save a little bit on shipping?

donutcat

31 Oct 2016, 02:18

I'm currently talking with a GMK rep to get an initial pricing quote and should have it by the end of this week. And I'd love to get someone in the EU to proxy since that'd help the shipping prices immensely, but would have to find someone able to do it.

Return to “Group buys”