Model MF - GB CLOSED

Pick our controller... Voting ends on Friday

The mini-xWhatsit that WCass shrunk down. It uses the same mini-controller design as Ellipse's F62/77, but with a connector meant to slip onto our PCB (inverted running parallel to the backplate)
31%
The CommonSense that DMA has recently put together. This is young yet, but has the most long term promise (not a question). It will have a very similar connector (possibly perpendicular vs. parallel slip-on mount)
69%

Total votes: 62

fohat
Elder Messenger

11 Dec 2016, 14:56

lot_lizard wrote:
I can't say enough how impressed I was by his ingenuity and talent (real skill).
Generally flat rectangles with square holes cut in would be almost embarrassingly easy in comparison.

Phenix
-p

11 Dec 2016, 15:05

if lock leds for an SSK are really that demanded: please make them an optional thing - I for myself dont need them at all.
The hackD mod is imo the way

E TwentyNine

11 Dec 2016, 15:06

lot_lizard wrote: The appreciation of everything we've accomplished so far really pushes designing proper cases up the priority for me. The goal of Phase 2 for me (hasn't started yet), was always to make a full "from scratch" artisan piece out of the capactive buckling spring.
Just want to find someone who has a wood CNC machine that can trace an existing object or a wood 3d pantograph setup that can handle something the size of an keyboard.

A wood cased capacitive buckling spring SSK is nearly my end game keyboard.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

11 Dec 2016, 15:08

I know its a bit late for questions, but will the SSK controller support the same layered numpad and the shift+scrlk combo to activate it? I know such an action is supported in the TMK firmware, which I have used before, however I have never programmed an xwhatsit so I have no idea.

E TwentyNine

11 Dec 2016, 15:14

mike52787 wrote: I know its a bit late for questions, but will the SSK controller support the same layered numpad and the shift+scrlk combo to activate it? I know such an action is supported in the TMK firmware, which I have used before, however I have never programmed an xwhatsit so I have no idea.
Everything's mappable.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58138.0

lot_lizard

11 Dec 2016, 16:07

fohat wrote: Generally flat rectangles with square holes cut in would be almost embarrassingly easy in comparison.
Agreed... The milling process shouldn't be bad to get overall shape (assuming it stayed the same), and cutting the key openings. The only really trick in these cases is the curved center plate, angled top, and "intricate" lines. It is a LOT of machine time (even if automated) per complete use of a given cutter head. Here you would have a minimum of 2-3 head swaps if you were trying to produce a replica shell. These type of shapes are much more conducive to mold dyes. The 4704 is much less intricate, so metal gravity pours work. Other F designs actually needed plastic to be pressured into voids (wasn't just a cost move).

We'll see. I would like to get some of his input. Keep in mind Planet 6 is completely handmade. That isn't going to work 100+ times, but we could possibly do a hybrid technique. It will take some thought for sure
E TwentyNine wrote: Just want to find someone who has a wood CNC machine that can trace an existing object or a wood 3d pantograph setup that can handle something the size of an keyboard.
It's a fun idea. I don't have one, and don't know anyone that does. I do have a pantograph for my router, but only works in 2d (mostly worthless.. for bulk at least).

Haven't really given this MF case too much thought yet. We definitely have a lot of brainstorming to do yet. We for sure need something though

DMA

11 Dec 2016, 20:52

lot_lizard wrote:
E TwentyNine wrote: Just want to find someone who has a wood CNC machine that can trace an existing object or a wood 3d pantograph setup that can handle something the size of an keyboard.
It's a fun idea. I don't have one, and don't know anyone that does. I do have a pantograph for my router, but only works in 2d (mostly worthless.. for bulk at least).
It's 21st century, gentlemen. There are 3d scanners. Huge ass 3D scanners, for several cubic meters.
Those will take care of your needs.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

11 Dec 2016, 21:57

As far as cases go, I'd probably spend $200 without blinking an eye (though, with my wallet and wife screaming) on a metal SSK case, maybe a bit more if needed. I think with a sensible design that keeps in mind costs could do it for a little less though.

E TwentyNine

11 Dec 2016, 22:00

DMA wrote: It's 21st century, gentlemen. There are 3d scanners. Huge ass 3D scanners, for several cubic meters.
I don't think that will fit on my workbench.

elecplus

11 Dec 2016, 22:19

If you are needing keyboard housings, I know of a large stash of IBM terminal M 101-103 key keyboards, and all the M122s we could ever want. There MIGHT also be some SSKs, but they will NOT be viable as usable keyboards. The cases are fine, but too many internal parts got taken out of them. Need to know general interest levels and what you want to pay for a used, dirty complete non-broken case. It will prob include the rest of the keyboard (he won't take the time to take them apart), so the weight will still be about 7 pounds each to ship. They could be shipped in bulk to lot_lizard, if he is willing.

Nuum

11 Dec 2016, 22:23

I'd be interested and pay around 50-70$ for an SSK case/broken SSK.

elecplus

11 Dec 2016, 22:54

So, it appears that I can get SSK cases replicated locally. Question is, does everyone want SSK, or maybe Unsaver style? Colors? Black, industrial grey, beige? Still made of PVC? Would need to have firm orders for at least 200 pcs to make cost stay under $60 plus shipping. Lot_lizard suggested filling in the left hand badge hole, and making it on the right to distinguish these. We have a plastics manufacturer here in my town who has done this type of work for me before. To be honest, I do not know if the MF project will support Unsaver?
IMG_5769.JPG
IMG_5769.JPG (711.54 KiB) Viewed 4741 times

E TwentyNine

11 Dec 2016, 23:02

elecplus wrote: So, it appears that I can get SSK cases replicated locally.
Well, there's a kick in the head. Cindy, do we know what range of options we have regarding colors/materials?

I'd agree with eliminating the badge hole, or maybe making a new square badge hole (and some new square badges).

Would the GB have to be homogenous in regard to color/material?

elecplus

11 Dec 2016, 23:06

I am going to the plant at 10AM tomorrow, and will call lot_lizard while I am there so he can talk to the plant manager. I am rather stupid abt these things, but lizard seems to know all :-) Once the molds are made, colors can be changed, but there is a minimum order per color/material. I will find out what it is tomorrow. I don't have a clue if different types of plastic can be made in the same molds, or if there need to be adjustments. I do know that for ABS, they will put in an anti-yellowing agent so we don't end up with bananas in a few years.

Scarpia

11 Dec 2016, 23:21

elecplus wrote: If you are needing keyboard housings (...) There MIGHT also be some SSKs, but they will NOT be viable as usable keyboards. The cases are fine, but too many internal parts got taken out of them. Need to know general interest levels and what you want to pay for a used, dirty complete non-broken case.
I'd be interested in (a broken SSK with) an unbroken case. I don't know if I'd pay $70 for it though, that seems a little high. I'd happily pay $40 though.
elecplus wrote: So, it appears that I can get SSK cases replicated locally.
Now that's interesting. If we were talking about a brand new high quality case with color options, I'd say $60 is more than reasonable.

elecplus

11 Dec 2016, 23:27

The original SSK case is flat, like a Model M. What do u think of an SSK case with a "hood" for the F keys like the rubberdome unsaver pictured, but 1 row F keys? Definitely something different, maybe a little more exotic? Would it interfere with the PCB?

lot_lizard

12 Dec 2016, 00:32

elecplus wrote: lizard seems to know all :-)
good thing I brought enough wool with me to cover lots of eyes :lol:

Not at all... but have a strong manufacturing/planning background for a variety of reasons. It will be a fun conversation tomorrow, and appreciate you for taking the initiative.

On the "hood" bit, what makes the Unsaver so "cute" with the raised cowl is the second row of function keys. Without it, my personal take is to keep something really close to the classic SSK tenkey-less. I personally just think it's a home run almost all the way around.

I really love that if we did replicate it, we touch up a COUPLE things (like the square badge) so there is NO confusion that this is the "new run" of it. Some for putting our own spin on it, some because I think it just looks nice to modernize it... But mostly because the originals shouldn't lose their identity. The term "OG SSK" is just sexy, and we want to make sure they retain their value as much as possible.

My two cents... Happy for thoughts though

EDIT: corrected some horrid iPhone grammar snafus
Last edited by lot_lizard on 12 Dec 2016, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

12 Dec 2016, 00:34

I don't believe the SSK plate assembly has the cutout in the upper right that would be necessary for the "hood" look.

Also, the MF project isn't making 122/Unsaver sized assemblies, just 101 and SSK.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

12 Dec 2016, 00:53

New plastic cases sound amazing. I would easily be in for 2 of these, if not more. I hate having perfectly good SSK guts lying around without a case. At this point I can't say I'd be very picky on colors or final style either. Having them be slightly different than the OG SSK's would be cool just to make them different. Would be very hard to create an SSK case that I wouldnt buy honestly.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

12 Dec 2016, 01:03

A plastics guy in Kerrville? Please take some notes for me, I may send some business his way.

DMA

12 Dec 2016, 01:11

E TwentyNine wrote:
DMA wrote: It's 21st century, gentlemen. There are 3d scanners. Huge ass 3D scanners, for several cubic meters.
I don't think that will fit on my workbench.
You probably won't even be able to buy it. But CNC mill + aforementioned scanner will do a good job copying a 3D object.

fohat
Elder Messenger

12 Dec 2016, 01:51

livingspeedbump wrote:
I hate having perfectly good SSK guts lying around without a case.
The older generations of full-sized M internals are easy to chop down to size.
After the controller moved over to beside the LEDs it became much more difficult.

Ir0n

12 Dec 2016, 02:37

I like where all this is going.
I'm in for an SSK case..

Halvar

12 Dec 2016, 07:25

Sounds very interesting! This might well have an audience beyond Model MF, because as fohat said, just sawing off the righthand side of the Internals of a standard Model M isn't the hardest thing to do either.

alh84001
v.001

12 Dec 2016, 10:33

Get out of here! In for a case, or even two.

If we go the "sticker on the right" route, wlll we keep the sticker oval, or will we make it square? If it's the latter, we should think about the new sticker GB :) Or, alternatively, we could make a rectangular sticker cutout, and cut the model M/F122 sticker (could be a use-case for all those F122 guts we have laying around), because as it is, that sticker is aesthetically just a bit to big for the SSK (physically it actually just fits, I just checked). So many options.

POTV

12 Dec 2016, 10:38

I'm also in for a replica of the original SSK case in similar or higher quality. Perhaps black? It could turn out nice. Regarding the logo - not that important to me, as long as it fits visually. Not too big IMO.

andrewjoy

12 Dec 2016, 11:15

A new SSK case would be nice , but don't forget us people who prefer full sized ( well for this project at least).

Full 101 case with screw in 1x1 blocks between control and alt so we can chop and change classic 101 and modern layouts.

All milled out of a block of solid aluminium please :)

micrex22

12 Dec 2016, 11:57

elecplus wrote: So, it appears that I can get SSK cases replicated locally. Question is, does everyone want SSK, or maybe Unsaver style? Colors? Black, industrial grey, beige? Still made of PVC? Would need to have firm orders for at least 200 pcs to make cost stay under $60 plus shipping. Lot_lizard suggested filling in the left hand badge hole, and making it on the right to distinguish these. We have a plastics manufacturer here in my town who has done this type of work for me before. To be honest, I do not know if the MF project will support Unsaver?
I'd be down for a black SSK one; two, if the numbers need to be higher.

That non-buckling spring unsaver chassis (I call them 'sucksavers') isn't designed with a real curve, so a flat barrel assembly would have to be used (and even then, it may not fit the internal components properly).
andrewjoy wrote: A new SSK case would be nice , but don't forget us people who prefer full sized ( well for this project at least).

Full 101 case with screw in 1x1 blocks between control and alt so we can chop and change classic 101 and modern layouts.

All milled out of a block of solid aluminium please :)
You can always paint a regular 101 chassis to make it look like aluminium. A 101 aluminium board with a black square badge would be quite cool. Standard cream keycaps wouldn't look very good against silver, unicomp blanks would be necessary, unless you can put up with their uneven printing.

andrewjoy

12 Dec 2016, 13:19

Who said anything about raw alu , paint it bemspring style with the textured paint.

Spaceman1200

12 Dec 2016, 15:07

Oh man, That SSK case reproduction sounds awesome, I might be able to swing for one, But i'd have no use for it

Return to “Group buys”