Help with group buying

nullpunkt

31 Jan 2012, 07:28

Is there a FAQ about group buying (in this forum)? I get the basic idea of getting a discount for "mass" purchases. Also sometimes it appears to be the only way to realize something (like getting keysets produced) - correct me if i am wrong. But some questions I have:)
Are there rules, some mechanics to ensure everyone will be happy?
How often do MO's happen and who organizes them?
Did a group buy ever fail? For what reason?
I want another KBC Poker red MO. How many buyers are needed for this? Are 10 enough? If not, why not?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

31 Jan 2012, 07:43

Most of that really depends on who organizes the group buy. I try to make most buyers happy, but it is not always possible. For example I can not refund missing parcels beyond the DHL refund limit. In the last Poker group buy 3 parcels went missing, two of which eventually turned up again. One which is still missing in action.

Since I pay for the boards once the money is collected, I can not give refunds for a situation like this. However, I can replace or repair broken boards, as VorTex hooks me up with a repair kit when doing a mass order of that size.

To answer your question, the minimal required order at VorTex (guys who make the Poker) is a box of 20. I had to cancel the last second round of the Pokers as there was not enough interest to reach the minimal required number of orders.

If you just want a single one I suggest you to use eBay or PM attarian here on the forum. He is also a European distributor based in China.

nullpunkt

31 Jan 2012, 22:51

thanks for the answer sixty. attarian seems to have stock of what i want!
he asked me about the shipping company i'd like to use and honestly i have no idea. what company do you group buy organizers prefer or have good experience with (from china)?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

31 Jan 2012, 23:53

DHL is awesome for Asia->Germany. Can be as fast as 18 hours!

nullpunkt

01 Feb 2012, 01:52

what about EMS? any experience? are you talking "standard" package or express for thos 18h? is DHL actually pricier than EMS?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

01 Feb 2012, 13:13

EMS is usually much, much slower and you will have a higher chance of having to pay customs fee when importing. DHL is about the same price as EMS from Asia, maybe a few bucks more expensive. However, well worth it.

Return to “Group buys”