GRAY STUDIO- HB85 Customized mechanical keyboard

Graystudio

25 Oct 2018, 03:18

Hi~HB85's GB is open~

Inspired by SONY's HitBit series computers, HB85 is an interesting looking custom mechanical keyboard designed by Gray Studio, the team that brought you the beloved COD67.

GB link:https://en.zfrontier.com/collections/ke ... /gray-hb85

Old HitBit101

Modern HB85

DESIGN AND LAYOUT
Perhaps one of the most iconic feature of the HB85 is it's oddly intriguing design. The mid-piece design not only pays homage to the HitBit computers but also enable more color combinations and creates profound visual impact.

The mid-piece will also come in 3 variants, each enabling different layouts: STT, BASIC, and AOP.

7 different anodized colors will be available for the HB85

Colors available: Black, Gray, Silver, Blue, Green, Violet, Red
Housing and aluminum plate will share the same color
Mid-piece and aluminum nametag will share the same color
Black, silver and grey can reference from sample photo.

PLATE
HB85 will come with an aluminum plate. The plate will be of the same color as the housing and you could choose from half plate or full plate.

Extra plates will also be available.

PCB
Bootmapper
ANSI and ISO support, Split left and right Shift support, Split Backspace support, Split 0 support
5 RGB underglow LED for the nametag on the top left
3 LED indicators support (LED required)
Mini-USB Port
The official version of PCB is black.

PARTS
Aluminum Housing (Top housing + Bottom cover)
Mid-piece
Aluminum Plate (Full plate or Half plate)
PCB
Aluminum Nametag
Translucent Acrylic Nametag
Vinyl Stickers
Screws, HEX tools and rubber feet

Vinyl Stickers

SPECS
HB85 Weight: 1.95kg()
Designed by Gray Studio
Manufactured in China

TIMEFRAME:
Group buy: Oct. 20th – Nov. 4th, 2018
Estimated ship date: Dec 2018 or Jan 2019

Jimmy54669

25 Oct 2018, 04:55

Great Job, very nice Keyboard, if i only had money.... XD

Findecanor

25 Oct 2018, 10:16

Lovely! :D

kbdfr
The Tiproman

25 Oct 2018, 11:54

Just wondering why this is announced as a "Group buy" and posted in the eponymous DT section
when obviously it's simply a vendor advertising their stuff, as nice at is may be.
vendors-f52/

Anakey

25 Oct 2018, 12:27

kbdfr wrote: Just wondering why this is announced as a "Group buy" and posted in the eponymous DT section
when obviously it's simply a vendor advertising their stuff, as nice at is may be.
vendors-f52/
Graystudio wrote: Hi~HB85's GB is open~

There is a group buy link at the very top of the post although easy to miss as generally it is usually placed at the bottom of the post given you would normally read the content of the post before then deciding to click on the GB link. So i think it is posted in the correct place

kbdfr
The Tiproman

25 Oct 2018, 12:43

I had of course seen and visited the link.
There's simply nothing else there than all the options offered and a shopping cart.

So basically you can buy or not buy anything there for the stated prices, no MOQ applying.
Plus, it's the seller themselves who run this.

The only thing distantly reminding of a group buy is the fact that there is a deadline,
but the vendor's rationale here is clearly simply to collect payments first and then produce,
which may be a smart commercial strategy, but does not make it a group buy.

hansichen

25 Oct 2018, 15:21

I'm not sure why we always have to be so toxic about new posts, this will only result that even more people will ignore dt. This is not a vendor advertising his webpage, it's a designer who posts about his group buy which is hosted and helped to organize by a company. Does it make such a difference when a group buy runner (which normally has a business license too) sends the paypal invoices from his account or if an account by another business is used?
Also there are posts back from 2015 where massdrop "group buys" were posted in the gb section too and nobody complained: group-buys-f50/big-bounty-for-triumph-a ... t9900.html

Also regarding the moq: group buys hosted on zfrontier normally have their origin in the Chinese community. Quite often the moq is already hit by them. Also the minimun quantity of a GB can be 2 units, not sure if you have to mention it if it gets produced anyway.

Back to the board: I really like the layout, sadly my budget isn't that big right now. Good luck with the whole buy!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

25 Oct 2018, 15:49

To me a group buy is when someone wants to order something from a producer and takes others on board ("group"),
not when producers themselves offer their own stuff for a fixed price.
That’s just a peversion of the very idea of a group buy, a simple marketing trick.

Next thing Amazon will open an account on DT and offer "group buys", the price remaining the same irrespective of how many buyers they attract. No "group" there, just plain selling.

And yes, I am quite toxic :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

25 Oct 2018, 17:25

I’d say you have a sharp sense of justice…

Regards the point: I’m sure we come off as a bit curmudgeonly. But what if we rolled with it, like most of the internet does? Sweet buy, bro. I’m in if you sell it in my sports team’s colors. Is this QWERTY compatible? Does it work with smartphone? Is clickier than mechanical, yes? Brown or blue switch? Did I see this on MassDrop? Are the caps double shot PBT? My typing faster with these keyboard? Etc etc ad nauseam.

Gives me chills to imagine that winter of blithe incuriousity creeping in here too. We are what we are. We care about this.

Chalba

25 Oct 2018, 19:11

Why not just call it a "limited production run of [product here]" ? Unless it's not limited of course. But a small production run doesn't necessarily mean something is a group buy. Kind of like squares v rectangles.

hansichen

25 Oct 2018, 19:32

kbdfr wrote: To me a group buy is when someone wants to order something from a producer and takes others on board ("group"),
That’s just a peversion of the very idea of a group buy, a simple marketing trick.

Next thing Amazon will open an account on DT and offer "group buys", the price remaining the same irrespective of how many buyers they attract. No "group" there, just plain selling.

I don't think that zfrontier is a cnc machining vendor who tries to sell his product. It's pretty much a more reliable platform to find enough people to build a group so that you can submit the order to the cnc machining company.

xxhellfirexx

26 Oct 2018, 00:51

Any chance of doing an HHKB layout option? I think it fits much better with the missing key on each corner.

Right now I cannot stomach missing the + key in the bottom right.

Graystudio

27 Oct 2018, 07:58

Jimmy54669 wrote: Great Job, very nice Keyboard, if i only had money.... XD
Thank you for your love for HB85. The head sculpture looks nice. :mrgreen:

Graystudio

27 Oct 2018, 08:00

Jimmy54669 wrote: Great Job, very nice Keyboard, if i only had money.... XD
Thks for you like it! :lol:

Graystudio

27 Oct 2018, 08:14

Anakey wrote:
kbdfr wrote: Just wondering why this is announced as a "Group buy" and posted in the eponymous DT section
vendors-f52/
Graystudio wrote: Hi~HB85's GB is open~

There is a group buy link at the very top of the post although easy to miss as generally it is usually placed at the bottom of the post given you would normally read the content of the post before then deciding to click on the GB link. So i think it is posted in the correct place
What you said really puzzled me(My English is not very good.).
Sorry, I do not often come to DT. I think the group buying here is the same as that on GH. I'm really sorry for this.

As for MOQ, I don't think it's necessary to label it.because I'm also planning to produce HB85 to make gifts for my clients.
Therefore, even if GB of HB85 have not sales volume, I also want to produce some.
Or, can you explain to me what you mean by group buying?Thks

Graystudio

27 Oct 2018, 08:19

kbdfr wrote: I had of course seen and visited the link.
There's simply nothing else there than all the options offered and a shopping cart.

So basically you can buy or not buy anything there for the stated prices, no MOQ applying.

The only thing distantly reminding of a group buy is the fact that there is a deadline,
but the vendor's rationale here is clearly simply to collect payments first and then produce,
Thank you for your understanding and kindness.

DT is a good community and loves it here.

Actually, I want to share HB85 with you here, and I want to promote the GB of HB85.

Maybe this is uncomfortable. This is also because I am not familiar with rules,say sorry for that.

Finally, I'm glad you like HB85. Thanks again!

Graystudio

27 Oct 2018, 08:20

kbdfr wrote: I had of course seen and visited the link.

Thank you for your understanding and kindness.

DT is a good community and loves it here.

Actually, I want to share HB85 with you here, and I want to promote the GB of HB85.

Maybe this is uncomfortable. This is also because I am not familiar with rules,say sorry for that.

Finally, I'm glad you like HB85. Thanks again!

Graystudio

27 Oct 2018, 08:26

hansichen wrote:
kbdfr wrote: To me a group buy is when someone wants to order something from a producer and takes others on board ("group"),

I don't think that zfrontier is a cnc machining vendor who tries to sell his product. It's pretty much a more reliable platform to find enough people to build a group so that you can submit the order to the cnc machining company.
Well done! You gave me an excellent layout. But it may take a while for me to finish the HHKB design.

Graystudio

27 Oct 2018, 08:27

Chalba wrote: Why not just call it a "limited production run of [product here]" ? Unless it's not limited of course. But a small production run doesn't necessarily mean something is a group buy. Kind of like squares v rectangles.
Thks again!

Findecanor

28 Oct 2018, 22:33

Hmm. It looks as if the front edge is right under the thick of your wrist. So, you would either have to be/get used to hovering your hands over your keyboard or build a custom wrist that mates with the front edge.

Return to “Group buys”