Beam Spring 104+SSK Reproduction Project! First Batch In Stock, Shipping early next year after New Model F Project

Ellipse

11 Aug 2023, 17:07

I still have to wrap that up, apologies for the delay.

Ellipse

14 Aug 2023, 08:10

Beam metal update:

The factory has performed significant testing in recent weeks on the S45500 material and has unexpectedly found that the SS 304 material used for the Round 1 modules appears to outperform it so far, so we may stay with the tried and true 304. My guess is that the 304 formulations have improved so much since the 1960s when IBM was developing the beam spring that the exotic S45500 material is no longer required for optimal longevity of the modules. Or maybe IBM had an unusual finishing process required for this material that is now lost to time.

As a reminder, the need to replace a small percentage of the original Round 1 modules was not due to the material itself but due to incorrect assembly techniques for some of the modules that causes them not to work well (some were bent a little too much so as to permanently crease them; this is why extras were included). The factory has corrected the assembly issue starting with the updated beam modules that are part of the deluxe first aid kits that have been going out in recent months (the ones with the press-fit tops instead of the glued tops).

NathanA

16 Aug 2023, 05:14

What set of caps were being shown in the pictures in the very first post of this thread? Those pictures significantly pre-date when Ellipse discovered the caps he is selling alongside these boards, so I have to assume it is a different yet somewhat generally-available set?

Ellipse

16 Aug 2023, 05:20

Those are sample keys that are unfortunately not available, though they were nice. The factory finished the production keys some time ago - they are in the photos on the project web site for the Round 2 page, not the ones in the first few photos which are the same sample keys as in the first post: https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product ... -keyboard/

NathanA

19 Aug 2023, 00:45

Ellipse wrote:
16 Aug 2023, 05:20
Those are sample keys that are unfortunately not available, though they were nice.
Ah: got it. But also, Aww: that's too bad. :lol:

I knew the sets you were selling with the BS boards were manufactured in response to an order you placed. Since the beamspring project was still in its infancy at the time you took those original photos, though, I was assuming that back before you ordered the final caps, you must have just bought some fairly standard key cap set to use in the photo shoot that at least vaguely fit the aesthetic you were looking for.

And was hoping to find out what key set that might've been, because I really like the mix of the black and gray with the all-white legends, combined with everything else that's going on (the font, the profile, etc.)!

To my taste, the all-blacks with white lettering that you're offering are the next-best thing, so that's what I ordered. ;) But a gray/white with black/white modifiers as an option would've been sweet.

(Also, one thing that I like about those original sample caps, and which in the final offered sets semi-triggers my OCD: "PAU SE" being broken into two rows like that; heh.)

Ellipse

21 Aug 2023, 18:34

As an update I have just ordered the metal Beam Spring and Model F badges. They can now be ordered from

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product ... ng-extras/

There are 2 options - the Model F style and the Beam Spring style (rendering for the beam style is shown below; the F style is shown on the Model F project thread). If you would like for me to order additional styles, you will have to cover the tooling charges and commit to ordering 15 badges at a minimum. The MFL logo was not ordered due to lack of interest. The beam spring one has the bottom edge cropped not touching the edge on purpose, since the image would be far smaller if the entire beam spring drawing was visible on the badge.

Badges and LED overlays are the same size as the IBM originals and can fit most Model M or Model F keyboards, with exception for the IBM XT and AT boards that use a larger badge.  These badges are 2cm x 2 cm.  The F122 is the only new production board that has a recessed spot for the badge but you can stick the badges anywhere on any of the Brand New Model F or Brand New Beam Spring keyboard cases.

The factory also has the capability to make the black badges with the raised silver printing as well as the large AT/XT style, so let me know if you want to cover the tooling and order minimums to make any of those styles. I am working with the same factory that produced the badges listed in the below eBay link (not my link). Unfortunately I can't make anything copyrighted/trademarked.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124836963936
Beam badge.JPG
Beam badge.JPG (200.43 KiB) Viewed 1161624 times

diazel

26 Aug 2023, 16:03

Hey Joe - I don't suppose you have any updated photos of the Round 2 B122, do you? Would love to see since the B122 is only shown in CAD. So excited and trying to remind myself to be patient. :D

Ellipse

26 Aug 2023, 19:15

diazel not yet. The factory is working on the tooling and will then make one working sample of each model before proceeding to production.

genericusername57

27 Aug 2023, 20:06

Regarding the badges, where would they fit on a BSSK R2 board? Is there some kind of recess to place them in or do you just have to sort of wing it?

Ellipse

28 Aug 2023, 04:18

genericusername57 yes they can fit on any board. There are no recessed areas outside of the F and B 122 models so they can be placed in various spots on the case. The badges are adhesive-backed.

Irrationalforest

29 Aug 2023, 08:18

Hi @Ellipse, quick question:

In the product page for the Round 2 Beamspring, the colors you list include "true red" and a picture of the compact model F case.

Just wanted to confirm, is this the metallic red as seen on the left from the compact model F page, or the thicker-looking more traditional red as seen on the right from the other model F cases?
RedCompare.png
RedCompare.png (508.84 KiB) Viewed 1161155 times
The same question applies to the blue paints too, I'd guess. :)

Ellipse

29 Aug 2023, 08:33

All cases are powdercoated going forward, so they should look like the painted versions of the cases. The cases will have textured powdercoating, not like the smooth more modern powdercoating of the 2nd batch of ultra compact F62 and F77 cases (what has been shipping out in the past couple years), and not like the anodizing of the other compact cases (F104/FSSK/F15/F50/F Ergo).

Irrationalforest

30 Aug 2023, 10:32

That's great news, the more 'classic' thick powder paint finish is my preference anyhow. I was afraid that the Beamspring might look a little odd with a modern anodized finish.
Thanks! :)

genericusername57

30 Aug 2023, 21:40

Ellipse wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 04:18
genericusername57 yes they can fit on any board. There are no recessed areas outside of the F and B 122 models so they can be placed in various spots on the case. The badges are adhesive-backed.
Fair enough! Have they been tested to actually adhere to the case? I was thinking the coarse surface of the case would mean that stuff would stick to it pretty badly compared to a smooth surface.

But I might be interested in one, since I got a LED overlay for my BSSK which I obviously realise is completely worthless since there's no spot for it. I'm assuming I can pay $2 to have the LED overlay swapped to a beamspring badge?

SpartanD63

05 Sep 2023, 02:26

genericusername57 wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 21:40

Fair enough! Have they been tested to actually adhere to the case? I was thinking the coarse surface of the case would mean that stuff would stick to it pretty badly compared to a smooth surface.

But I might be interested in one, since I got a LED overlay for my BSSK which I obviously realise is completely worthless since there's no spot for it. I'm assuming I can pay $2 to have the LED overlay swapped to a beamspring badge?
I imagine that would depend how well the adhesive could fill the voids or if the surface under it was prepared somehow.

dodddummy

17 Sep 2023, 12:43

Getting closer to 4th quarter...
I'm curious if there's an update to the target ship date.

Ellipse

17 Sep 2023, 18:26

These keyboards should be completed and going out later this year around year end or early next year. We are at the mercy of the factories as always for such low volume production.

The modules are still in production, expected to finish around month end, and then they need to be assembled. The press-fit design is going to be saving a lot of assembly time compared to the older glued on washer design.

The factory is still working on the tooling for the cases and inner assembly, and then they need to produce a working sample of each variation for my review and approval before production on the cases and inner assembly can start, and then these need to be assembled and sent out on the container ship. The factory already completed a prototype of the new case and inner assembly design earlier this year and it has no issues, but to be safe I want to confirm that the new tooling makes things right for all the parts.

genericusername57

19 Sep 2023, 15:57

Ellipse wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 18:26
The factory already completed a prototype of the new case and inner assembly design earlier this year and it has no issues, but to be safe I want to confirm that the new tooling makes things right for all the parts.
Is this the one featured in your typing demonstration or is it a prototype of the renderings on the shop page? In the latter case, are there any pictures of it?

Ellipse

19 Sep 2023, 20:01

They completed both, though I expect to receive the updated Round 2 modules in a couple weeks from now, so I will be updating the second sample (the approved final design sample) with the new modules and will post some photos next month after setting it up.

dodddummy

24 Sep 2023, 21:04

No pressure but I'm recovering from strokes and heart attack. Would like to get mine soon enough so that I use it for at least a month before I move to the great beyond :)

Fond Lion

28 Sep 2023, 00:22

MT3 keycaps have been mentioned several times in this thread. Having used MT3 keycaps for more than 1 year on my daily driver keyboard, I advise you to stay away from MT3 keycaps and buy a set of DSS keycaps instead. Here's why.

(1.) MT3's bottom rows are staggered, while its upper rows form a continuous surface (like the SA profile). DSS rows are staggered throughout, which feels much better to me. That's also how the original IBM beam spring key caps are shaped.
profiles.jpg
profiles.jpg (35.53 KiB) Viewed 1158083 times
(Source: https://www.keycaps.info)

(2.) The top surface of MT3's number row doesn't follow the curve of the other rows. It's a little bit too flat, which makes the number row appear tilted backwards. See also this post: https://www.keebtalk.com/t/why-i-dislik ... caps/18901. With all other sculpted keycap profiles I've seen (including DSS), the top surface inclination is increasing from row to row.

(3.) The legends on my MT3 keycaps are horribly inconsistent. For example, on the following image, you can see that Z, X and C are much thinner than the others. Additionally, S and C are distorted.
MT3.jpg
MT3.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 1158083 times
I own several sets from Signature Plastics. Their legends are not perfect as the line thickness varies a bit, but I consider it to be negligible. They look worlds better than that MT3 set.

(4.) The MT3 legends seem to use a newly designed font. It doesn't look bad in my eyes, but it doesn't resemble the font of IBM's beam spring keyboards. What's worse, some symbols are tiny and hard to read (backtick, tilde, quotes, comma). The DSS font looks very similar to the font used on IBM's beam spring keyboards, and all DSS legends are decently sized and legible.

In summary, I consider DSS to be a better profile than MT3. And of all the key caps available, they are probably the most similar to original beam spring key caps.

I can't wait to put my set of DSS Dolch keycaps on my round 2 BSSK keyboard! :)

engr

28 Sep 2023, 02:44

What is the default keycap profile of the Round 2 Beam Spring keyboards?

Ellipse

28 Sep 2023, 03:43

engr it is a custom profile, it is not one of the named profiles, but the key rows are quite flat, only varying 1-2mm or so.

Muirium
µ

28 Sep 2023, 09:28

Fond Lion wrote:
28 Sep 2023, 00:22
(3.) The legends on my MT3 keycaps are horribly inconsistent. For example, on the following image, you can see that Z, X and C are much thinner than the others. Additionally, S and C are distorted.
The legends on mine are among the best I've ever seen…

Not all keysets in a given profile are born alike.

As for the shape itself: I have a beamspring and these caps are more "beamspring-like" than SA, for sure. But to be honest, even Matteo and Photekq didn't go all the way to beamspring's "toothy" top surface. All these spherical caps are just too cubic, they don't taper nearly enough, and OG IBM caps still have by far the best dishing up on top, too.

Fond Lion

28 Sep 2023, 11:21

Muirium wrote:
The legends on mine are among the best I've ever seen…
Your legends look very nice indeed (they're dye-subbed though). There are also many positive reviews with good looking pictures on Drop.com for my set, so maybe they've improved their double-shot processing.
Muirium wrote:
As for the shape itself: I have a beamspring and these caps are more "beamspring-like" than SA, for sure. But to be honest, even Matteo and Photekq didn't go all the way to beamspring's "toothy" top surface. All these spherical caps are just too cubic, they don't taper nearly enough, and OG IBM caps still have by far the best dishing up on top, too.
Yes, none of the available key caps match beam spring key caps unfortunately. The dishing of DSS is comparable to the dishing of MT3. DSS key caps are considerably shorter and slightly less tapered though, so in that regard MT3 is actually closer to beam spring key caps. However, the staggered key cap arrangement feels more important to me.

Another factor to consider is the top surface texture. My MT3 key caps are smooth, while DSS key caps are grainy. Beam spring key caps are usually grainy, but, as far as I know, smooth key caps exist as well, so it's a matter of preference.

Muirium
µ

28 Sep 2023, 12:12

I know what you mean about the different shapes on different rows, but “stagger” already has a meaning in keyboards: the horizontal displacement between rows, where Z is midway between A and S while W is a quarter unit over to the right. Stagger is one of those things you seldom think about (it’s even more ubiquitous than Qwerty, and comes from the very same archaic typewriter, too) but when it’s altered you’ll feel like your fingers are broken! We’re all just completely used to this madness. :D

You’re quite right that my MT3 caps are dyesub. I much prefer dyesubs over doubleshots. Signature Plastics does a pretty good job with their doubleshots, but Gorton is not the font for me, and neither is their iffy eye for details like legend placement and kerning. Besides, I just don’t like the feel or yellowing of ABS. (The sound is excellent, mind.)

Anyway, for a “simple” thing, there’s actually a lot to get wrong when making caps. It’s kind of a miracle there are any good sets at all! They take immense attention to detail from their designer to the production line to see come good.

Fond Lion

29 Sep 2023, 11:32

Muirium wrote:
28 Sep 2023, 12:12
I know what you mean about the different shapes on different rows, but “stagger” already has a meaning in keyboards: the horizontal displacement between rows, where Z is midway between A and S while W is a quarter unit over to the right.
Maybe we should call it "stepped"? People seem to mostly talk about uniform vs. sculpted rows, ignoring that sculpted rows can be stepped or continuous. To be clear, this is what I'm talking about:
row_shapes.jpg
row_shapes.jpg (43.33 KiB) Viewed 1157778 times

Fond Lion

30 Sep 2023, 11:28

Ellipse, I'm interested in paying for the extra tooling required for a BSSK with split backspace and split right shift. Could you please check how much it would be?

Anyone who would be willing to split the cost, please send me a message!

dodddummy

21 Oct 2023, 19:32

Saw the below update. Does this mean target is now shifted to 1st quarter of 2024?

"The factory is still looking to wrap things up around year end, which means that the keyboards should start going out early next year. Please keep reading for more details on each of the parts."

Ellipse

21 Oct 2023, 21:13

Yes, unfortunately the factories have been delayed.

Return to “Group buys”