Red Alert round 2 group buy going on over @ GH

Ragnorock

04 Jun 2012, 02:45

Okay so after debating for a while whether to post this here or not, here goes. :oops:

I should introduce myself first, I'm Ragnorock, one of the main group buy organizers over at GeekHack, and while I haven't posted over here until now, I've always liked lurking around here and use it as a main resource. There are several members of both forums here that I'm sure will vouch for the efficiency and professionalism of my group buys, which are my strengths as a management and operations major. But yeah, enough about me. I'm a nerd, a business student, and I like keyboards and using them to play Diablo 3 and SC2. XD

Basically I got the go-ahead from Sixty to do a "round 2" of Red Alert, as long as we didn't use Uranium's (over at OCN/KBD) legends that he funded himself without permission. Sixty is also helping out with that by sending him an email asking whether that would be okay or not. (Thanks man!) So if we do get permission to use them, we will. Until then, I've expanded on the original concept and included white on red modifiers to go alongside the original red on grey. The structure is very similar to my previous group buy (Ragnarok red on black) and is taking orders right now. They will close on the 15th, but may be held open a bit more to hit the next discount. I am expecting at least 200 base sets ordered, probably more, so bear that in mind when looking at the prices.

Here's the thread itself:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?3188 ... ing-Orders

That's about it, I won't go over everything here because it's all written out in exhaustive detail over @ GH. If you have any questions feel free to PM me on here or over at geekhack, but orders must be submitted on geekhack.

Here are some pictures and descriptions copied over from the order thread:

Red Alert Base Set:
89 Doubleshot keys in RBV on WFK (Now including center stemmed stepped caps and GEEK HACK Esc key)

It will be similar to this, but without the custom legends at this time. Standard WYSE SP font. We may use the original legends shown in the picture above if permission from Uranium over at OCN/KBD is obtained.

Here are a few other pictures of the original set to give you a better idea. We will not be doing the numrow of white on red keys or the special keys though.
Image<- Photo credit to Inlikeflynn and the other proud owners of the original set.

Anticipated demand is over 200 sets. Please keep that in mind when looking at the price tiers. I am likely to keep it open until we hit that range unless momentum doesn't get close. At an absolute minimum we will be over 100. I will buy up to that if necessary.

In addition, I am offering several compatibility kits for use with various keyboards aside from the basic 87 key set. How this works is that you buy the 87 key set, and then choose which, if any, add on kits you want to suit your needs. That way the people just looking for the base set, which is what this group buy was originally limited to, don't have to pay more for keys they don't need. The kits start off expensive, and to avoid confusion they have been limited to only those kits most likely to succeed. Any kits that get less than 15 takers will be dropped. I expect to see a minimum of 50 for the modifier, Tsangan, and 104 kits, and at least 25 for the ISO kit. That puts everything in an affordable price range.

Each base kit is the equivalent of about 100 1x keys.

Modifier Add On Kits

Okay so this kit is one of the cornerstones why people love Red Alert. It consists of modifier and other perimeter keys in accent colors. It is going to come in both red on grey and white on red. Color codes are RBV on GAL for the grey and WFK on RBV for the red set.

Here are mockup images of the kits. They contain 33 keys.
ImageImage

The arrows will be normal arrows. The image above from inlikeflynn's WTT ad also shows what the actual red on grey modifiers look like.

Spacebar is modern 6.25x and the bottom row mods are 1.25x the rest range between 2x (shift) and 1x (esc keys.) If you are using this to calculate space requirements and you aren't sure, I estimated it at about 45 keys. Feel free to round up to 50 though, I did so with the base sets (to 100) and that was about right after considering the bags and the inefficiency in their placement.

Tsangan's Combatibility Kit- Comes in 3 colors, make sure you pick the right one!

Makes the 87 kit compatible with winkeyless keyboards such as Phantom, Dox, Cherry G80-3000, DKSaver, 356CL, Choc Mini, and many more! Ask Tsangan for clarification if you are unsure. At this time I am offering this in all 3 colors, (red on white, red on grey, and white on red) since it is likely many people will be getting this set from Korea, and they generally like these sets. If the counts aren't there, (under 15) that color option will be dropped.
Contains 13 keys

Ignore the colors of course, but that gives a good idea of what you get.
2 Alt (1.5x)
2 Ctrl (1.5x)
These are just the bottom row in 1.5x size

2 "Star" 1x keys that fit row 4

2 Diamond/Meta/Super (1x keys)
This will go between the Alt and Control and is a 1x size key, with a diamond legend.

1 Stepped CapsLocks
Same size as the capslock but it's stepped. It is off center stem.

1 1800 Shift (1.75x)
This is a short shift in 1.75x size for the right shift so you can fit another 1x key beside it

1 Spacebar (7x)
Just longer then your average spacebar, this one would be 7x size and its center stem.

Equivalent to about 20 1x keys

The 104 Kit
The 17 keys that make up the tenkey and its surrounding keys. Basically making this set compatible with full size ANSI keyboards. I may add the couple extra keys for 0 and 00 option if there is enough interest. At this point it is only being offered in red on white. I am pretty firm on keeping at least this one that way.

Equivalent to about 20 1x keys

The ISO Kit (UPDATED TO INCLUDE COMPATIBILITY WITH ALL 3 COLORS)
The above picture but with a blank JRET. ISO people please step up and get in on this or else its really spendy per key. As the quantities for this are traditionally low, rather than offer 3 different ISO kits or have people miss out, the ISO kit is being expanded to offer all 3 colors of the short shift and JRET that would limit ISO users from having complete matching sets if they desired colored modifiers. Thus, this set is now 8 keys:

3 blank JRET keys, in WFK, RBV, and GAL

3 short shift keys, in WFK, RBV, and GAL, with their corresponding legends, RBV, WFK, and RBV

1 |\ 1x key in RBV on WFK

1 #~ 1x key in RBV on WFK

Equivalent to about 10-15 1x keys

Okay that's pretty long for a crosspost, but I hope this is okay. Please let me know if you have any questions. I try to be really quick with my responses.
Last edited by Ragnorock on 04 Jun 2012, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

ripster

04 Jun 2012, 04:22

Welcome to Deskthority.net!

Rag, You forgot part of your boilerplate!
No trolls allowed. (Except for Ripster) >.>
Great Group Buy Leader, highly recommended folks!

<bröfist>

huttala

04 Jun 2012, 09:02

I geuss it's not possible to make a German set out of this? I'm saying german since I know it will be freakin impossible to get Swedish legends... But German, would that be possible? Pretty please Rag. :)

Ragnorock

04 Jun 2012, 11:19

The best I can do is the "universalish" ISO kit I have listed above. If I was to offer several different language layouts they would be all in very low quantity and very expensive for the end users, especially since ISO usually only gets about 25 or so buyers. Thats part of why I'm posting here, to get more Euro guys in on this buy. While it may not be perfectly suited to your board, they still fit (or should) and look awesome. To put it in perspective, I'm typing on a JIS Topre right now with about a dozen legends that don't match what they do but since I touch type, it doesn't really matter what the legends say.

Lol thanks Ripster, I'm keeping that there forever.

7bit

04 Jun 2012, 11:51

Ragnorock wrote:The best I can do is the "universalish" ISO kit I have listed above. If I was to offer several different language layouts they would be all in very low quantity and very expensive for the end users, especially since ISO usually only gets about 25 or so buyers. Thats part of why I'm posting here, to get more Euro guys in on this buy. While it may not be perfectly suited to your board, they still fit (or should) and look awesome. To put it in perspective, I'm typing on a JIS Topre right now with about a dozen legends that don't match what they do but since I touch type, it doesn't really matter what the legends say.

We damand a full Nordic kit with all legends for NO, SE, DK, DE, AT, FI, ....
Also, we want BEPO, NEO and FR.

May we have RGB keys?

What about Colemak and Dvorak?

Thanks!

:lol:

longweight
key-bored

04 Jun 2012, 12:05

This is going to be a great GB, I'm not sure how much money I will have this month so I haven't placed my order yet, I will be ordering one base set and both the red and grey modifier sets.

:D

7bit

04 Jun 2012, 12:06

You post in the wrong thread! The real group buy is one thread down!

longweight
key-bored

04 Jun 2012, 12:09

Huh?!

t!ng
Awake Sheep

04 Jun 2012, 12:12

Lol. Funny how 7bit tries to get orders ^^

huttala

04 Jun 2012, 14:37

Ragnorock wrote:The best I can do is the "universalish" ISO kit I have listed above. If I was to offer several different language layouts they would be all in very low quantity and very expensive for the end users, especially since ISO usually only gets about 25 or so buyers. Thats part of why I'm posting here, to get more Euro guys in on this buy. While it may not be perfectly suited to your board, they still fit (or should) and look awesome. To put it in perspective, I'm typing on a JIS Topre right now with about a dozen legends that don't match what they do but since I touch type, it doesn't really matter what the legends say.

Yeah I figured that, and that's why I'm not buying. Feels kinda stupid to have doubleshots that shows the wrong legends. If you get what I mean.

I wonder if wasdkeyboards can do replicas of these caps, for the keys that has other legends.. hmmmmm that could work out just fine.
7bit wrote:You post in the wrong thread! The real group buy is one thread down!
Lmao

pasph

04 Jun 2012, 16:21

huttala wrote:I wonder if wasdkeyboards can do replicas of these caps, for the keys that has other legends.. hmmmmm that could work out just fine.
I think QWERKeys can do caps with colored legend (even 2 colors)

longweight
key-bored

05 Jun 2012, 15:18

Get involved everyone!

snoopy

05 Jun 2012, 21:10

and don't forget that other cool groupbuy that can be shipped together with this one http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?3194 ... ing-Orders

Biohazard!!!!!!

Ragnorock

05 Jun 2012, 21:55

^ That's correct, anyone that orders from both gets combined shipping- which for the international orders is a pretty decent savings. The only stipulation is that it has to fit!

Also don't worry about whether you will be able to pay at the current price or at all, just place the order for now. I'd rather have more orders for those interested and have some of them cancel than get none of those orders at all. You can change your order right up until you pay your invoice.

I think in the future I'll offer an ISO kit that is compatible with most of the ISO variations, its just that it gets quite expensive offering a kit with several keys that traditionally, only gets around 25 orders anyways. I would expect that to double at least if I made one that fit GER, FR, IT, NO, SE, DK, DE, AT, FI etc, but everyone would be paying for extra keys they don't need. The entire purpose of the add on kits is to avoid that as much as possible.

Anyways, I'm going to be pretty busy over the next week so if I'm not around to answer questions as much that's why, but you can always find me on GH or send me a PM because I will be on there more to keep the thread updated.

Dave out.

Zehkul

05 Jun 2012, 22:34

Ragnorock wrote:The best I can do is the "universalish" ISO kit I have listed above. If I was to offer several different language layouts they would be all in very low quantity and very expensive for the end users, especially since ISO usually only gets about 25 or so buyers.
Correct keys would get more orders. It is impossible for the more exotic stuff I think, but there are 2 kits you can try: UK (just 4 more u1 keys anyway, so it’s fairly cheap), and one DK/FI/SE/NO/DE kit since they share a fair amount of keys. I see absolutely no chance for PT/ES/… (Colemakdvorakneobepolololololo)
And those full language kits would make the Iso adapt kit cheaper as well, since they share the expensive JRET.

/e: Maybe it could even have a double shot JRET then. ISO+UK+Nordic should reach 25 JRETs rather easily.

longweight
key-bored

05 Jun 2012, 22:58

If there is anyone in the UK that would like to combine orders to save shipping just let me know :)

Ragnorock

08 Jun 2012, 01:39

Yeah Zehkul that would be my goal. It'll probably be that way for the next round. Each time it gets improved more and more.

Also we shot up to 115 base kits over the last couple of days. We should have no problem reaching 200 and at an absolute minimum we'll be doing 150. That means you can get a set of these for a tenkeyless for about $50 not including shipping. Pretty cheap!

hamza_tm

08 Jun 2012, 03:12

I'm tempted Longweight... tempt me more!!

dirge

08 Jun 2012, 09:07

Longweight, I'm interested :)

Ragnorock

13 Jun 2012, 20:01

Yo guys, Longweight is definitely looking to add a few more orders to his and combine shipping. His order as it stands is really iffy on whether it will require the larger box or not, and his best option is to get 2-3 more orders in with his so everyone only pays like $10 for shipping instead of the $18+ for internationals. Pretty great deal even if some need re-shipment from wherever Longweight is.

We're at 150 orders and great counts for the add on kits, so its definitely the last chance you're going to get custom doubleshots this cheap for a while... likely ever again.

Orders close on Friday, you guys are ahead of me timezone wise so no excuses for being late! Lol just kidding, but I usually spend about a week collecting money from invoices so you don't have to pay exactly on Friday... if that helps.

Cheers,
Dave

longweight
key-bored

13 Jun 2012, 21:34

PM me if you want in tomorrow so that I can get changes to Ragnor!

Ragnorock

15 Jun 2012, 19:21

By the way, I recently read a thread on here about how a set of $30 keycaps from Unicomp becomes $90 or so after taxes, and just wanted to let everyone know that I write down the value of the keys to like $10 unless they have insurance on them, which I only put on the larger orders. (Usually ones that require a medium box.) I can also write down the value on those, its just we have to agree on how much they're insured to vs the value you have to pay tax on, and then if its lost that's all you get back. I haven't had a single issue with the value being underwritten because customs has no idea how much the keycaps are actually worth and the intrinsic value of plastic is pretty low.

Orders are tentatively set to close in 4 hours and 40 mins, so hurry up!

lightsout

11 Jul 2012, 00:19

Any ETA's from SP on these?

megnin

11 Jul 2012, 02:00

Damn, I had forgotten all about this groupbuy. Thanks for bumping this thread up. Are there any other GH groupbuys I've forgotten about? ;-)

Igthorn

11 Jul 2012, 02:07

ETA July 31st for shipping to Rag.

http://deskthority.net/geekhacker-refug ... 3-210.html (at the bottom of the page)
Ragnorock wrote:
metafour wrote:
Elrobo wrote:I don't recall if it was posted in the old thread on GH, but Ragnorock was there any estimate from SP for when red alert keys would be in your hands?
On average it's about 4-5 weeks from when they receive the order and payment.
July 31st is their ship date ETA to me. Maybe sooner, maybe later, but hopefully sooner.

zzAaron

11 Jul 2012, 10:46

so whats the avrg price on a 104 set

mintberryminuscrunch

11 Jul 2012, 12:21

zzAaron wrote:so whats the avrg price on a 104 set
?

Ragnorock

22 Jul 2012, 20:20

Okay so between having bunch of unpaid orders and GeekHack being down for a month, I'm sitting on way too many keysets for my wallet to be comfortable with. As such, I'm doing a one time only discount on preorders all of the leftover sets I've purchased for this group buy. Instead of $80 per leftover set I'm offering them for $70 until Tuesday of next week (24th of July) In addition, the add on sets will be $35 instead of $40, essentially the same level of discount. 104 sets have to stay at $30 since they ended up being so expensive and I only have a couple. These will be arriving at my house at the end of the month, and shipping out the first week of August. Finally, if there is enough interest that I run out of leftovers, I will be canceling the delinquent orders and using those toward this sale as well, so the limit on how many I sell is how many I have. For anyone who missed out on the group buy this is your last chance to get these sets cheap! SP raised their prices by 32% after this set was produced. I know there were a few members that messaged me willing to buy a leftover set at a group buy price, and this is as close as they will get!

If you are interested, send a PM to me with your name, paypal email, and shipping address, and what you want of course. Additional info can be found in the OP.

Cheers,
Dave

longweight
key-bored

22 Jul 2012, 21:02

Thanks for the update Dave! Very excited about these!

prava

22 Jul 2012, 23:19

Are they already produced, mate?!

Return to “Group buys”