Cherry MX and Matias switches

7bit

20 Nov 2013, 16:03

Shipped yesterday.
:o

Acanthophis

20 Nov 2013, 16:04

Payment/"shipping" update

Payment from lord_voltron has been received and marked as shipped for Paypal purposes (to keep them from locking up the PP account). Invoices may or may not reflect the payments yet. Keep checking this thread for the actual ship date(s), or spam this thread/7bit via PM the message "WHERE ARE MY SWITCHES, DID YOU SEND THEM YET." This only includes payments to me via Paypal. Note that the address on your Paypal notifications/notes are not necessarily the addresses 7bit will ship your switches to, he ships to the address on your invoice.

nanofortnight

20 Nov 2013, 16:37

While I'm waiting on #0394 is it possible for me to place an order for a couple of switches you currently have in stock and have those sent out first?

7bit

20 Nov 2013, 16:44

Yes, just order whatever you want and add the SHIPNOW kit.

mashby

21 Nov 2013, 01:04

7bit wrote:Shipped yesterday.
:o
7bit -- you're my hero! :P

Darhuuk

21 Nov 2013, 23:28

Any updates on order #0361?

AABCDS

22 Nov 2013, 04:15

I just tried to make my payment in Euros but this is the message I received from PayPal:

This recipient does not accept payments denominated in euros. Please select another currency to send your payment.

Should I make my payment in US dollars instead?

7bit

22 Nov 2013, 10:27

In the rare case you are in the EUR-zone, but want to pay by PayPal, just let me know and I tell you to whom to PayPal-pay in EUR.

Otherwise, if you want to pay by SEPA bank payment, just send this to CherryMX:
PAYEUR

:-)

sudowork

22 Nov 2013, 13:51

Sorry for all the posts, but any update on 0388? They've been in stock for a while (as far as I can tell), but haven't shipped yet - payment confirmed by Acanthropis back on Aug 31. If there's a problem with the stock or anything, would canceling for a refund be possible? I know you're busy, and I appreciate what your doing for everyone!

7bit

22 Nov 2013, 18:31

They shipped a few days ago.

sudowork

24 Nov 2013, 01:19

Oh awesome! Thanks 7bit. And feel free to ignore that post then :oops:

farinasa_

25 Nov 2013, 04:18

I would definitely be in for a few MX Locks if they ever came back around.

Muirium
µ

25 Nov 2013, 12:38

We need a separate GB for MXLOCK. There's maybe enough of us interested now, if we all buy at once. But instead we just mention it from time to time and get nowhere.

7bit

25 Nov 2013, 12:48

If prices have not changed:

Code: Select all

orders|price per switch
   1  |10000 EUR
   2  | 1000 EUR
   4  | 2500 EUR
  10  | 1000 EUR
  25  |  400 EUR
  50  |  200 EUR
 100  |  100 EUR
1000  |   10 EUR
4000  |    2.5 EUR
:roll:

Muirium
µ

25 Nov 2013, 12:56

I'll take 4. But not the first 4…

(If enough of us get together, I could take 10. If that was the price of entry, we'd only need… 400 of us? Ugh.)

kfmfe04

26 Nov 2013, 09:50

I'm considering putting in an order for the ergodox mass drop expiring in 4 days, but I need me some MX reds.

How many and what kind (MXRED or MXRED/NW) would I need?

eviltobz

26 Nov 2013, 10:17

well, the kits on massdrop have 78 key switches, that should leave a couple of spares incase you knacker any by accident but you might wanna be conservative and add a couple more, especially if you're new to such DIY. if you're getting the case as part of the drop it has a plate for the keys, so you don't need the PCB mount flavour. You can use em, but you don't need to, and they aint in stock yet and their due date has been bumped back a bit over the course of the preordering afaik, so you may have better luck getting the plate mount ones in a timely fashion. If you have plans about building your own case, then depending on your plans and if you can make a suitable plate or not depends on whether you'll need PCB mounting.

kfmfe04

26 Nov 2013, 13:12

eviltobz wrote:well, the kits on massdrop have 78 key switches, that should leave a couple of spares incase you knacker any by accident but you might wanna be conservative and add a couple more, especially if you're new to such DIY. if you're getting the case as part of the drop it has a plate for the keys, so you don't need the PCB mount flavour. You can use em, but you don't need to, and they aint in stock yet and their due date has been bumped back a bit over the course of the preordering afaik, so you may have better luck getting the plate mount ones in a timely fashion. If you have plans about building your own case, then depending on your plans and if you can make a suitable plate or not depends on whether you'll need PCB mounting.
Thank you - I am thinking about ordering the entire set from massdrop with clear switches.

...and then ordering MX reds here to replace at least the main keys (maybe use reds on all except function keys).

I guess it's extremely personal, but I still wonder what do customizers typically do when mixing switches on their boards?

Muirium
µ

26 Nov 2013, 13:15

Replacing clears with reds? Smart move. Because you'll also have the right ingredients to make ergo clears (put a red's spring inside a clear) which gives you three switch options for the price of two.

kfmfe04

26 Nov 2013, 14:44

Muirium wrote:Replacing clears with reds? Smart move. Because you'll also have the right ingredients to make ergo clears (put a red's spring inside a clear) which gives you three switch options for the price of two.
Okay, you are making me jump head-first into the rabbit hole here.

Can you elaborate to a noob the net effect of putting a red's spring inside a clear?
What would you get if you put a clear's spring inside a red?

EDIT: ok - I think I found a good explanation here - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1723745
very interesting stuff

Muirium
µ

26 Nov 2013, 15:05

Yeah, it's pretty simple: clears have got a great tactile bump (much more satisfying than browns) but plenty of people find them too heavy. Swap in a lighter spring (and reds are the perfect source for those) and you get a lighter kind of clear. Bump's still there.

But the rabbit hole goes deeper as soon as you encounter lube…

kint

26 Nov 2013, 15:07

we've got a wiki here...:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX

and:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX#R ... n_variants

as for plate vs PCB mount:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Switch-moun ... nstruction

So if you do order a plate with your buy at massdrop, then go with the "NW"-less option here. If you just solder the Switches onto the PCB then take the "NW" switches here. Will also make recombinations easier, except if the plate has cutouts for opening the switches without desoldering - which is something I don't know.

Layzer

26 Nov 2013, 15:11

I just want to see if my payment that I made yesterday has been received? invoice #0461

kfmfe04

26 Nov 2013, 15:35

kint wrote:we've got a wiki here...:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX

and:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX#R ... n_variants

as for plate vs PCB mount:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Switch-moun ... nstruction

So if you do order a plate with your buy at massdrop, then go with the "NW"-less option here. If you just solder the Switches onto the PCB then take the "NW" switches here. Will also make recombinations easier, except if the plate has cutouts for opening the switches without desoldering - which is something I don't know.
Woah - recombinant variants?!? Are we cloning sheep here? LoL - is this morally acceptable? :lol:

OK, you've lost me a bit there. Can someone chime in on the current MassDrop that's ending in 4 days?

I thought the standard Kit has no plate and I see no option to add a plate, so does that mean I want "NW" switches here or not? For the swap case (pure swap of MX Clears for Reds) and for the Mendelian recombination case (Ergo Clear)?

Assume that I will order the kit with MX Clears.

Kurk

26 Nov 2013, 15:43

Layer 3 in this picture is the plate, it's part of the case:
https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/as ... ayer-order

So you can use plate-mounted Cherry MX switches. The ErgoDox PCB features also two additional holes at each switch position that are used by PCB-mounted Cherry MX switches for extra stability (although that's not really necessary here).

Bottom line: you can use both plate-mounted and PCB-mounted MX switches for your ErgoDox.

kfmfe04

26 Nov 2013, 15:54

Kurk wrote:Layer 3 in this picture is the plate, it's part of the case:
https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/as ... ayer-order

So you can use plate-mounted Cherry MX switches. The ErgoDox PCB features also two additional holes at each switch position that are used by PCB-mounted Cherry MX switches for extra stability (although that's not really necessary here).

Bottom line: you can use both plate-mounted and PCB-mounted MX switches for your ErgoDox.
Thank you, Kurk, for the clarification and the quick response.

I just checked on the MassDrop and it looks like their Clears will be the plate mounted kind.
I guess that means I should also order plate mounted Reds here.

I've also looked at the Ergo clear video - during the initial ergodox assembly appears to be the best time to do this mod (no need to desolder or take the case apart), so thanks to Muirium for bring up ergo clears!

isman

27 Nov 2013, 15:37

Well, can I have some updates on my order #312 plz ?

thoere

27 Nov 2013, 21:27

About what time will US orders arrive?

lord_voltron

28 Nov 2013, 11:51

WHERE ARE MY SWITCHES, DID YOU SEND THEM YET? #0447

Hi, Just want to ask if they are already sent ?
I now have everything collected to build my ergodox and the only parts missing are the switches.
Really sitting on needles to get my hands on them and start building my keyboard

cheers

obolla

28 Nov 2013, 21:28

7bit wrote:If prices have not changed:

Code: Select all

orders|price per switch
   1  |10000 EUR
   2  | 1000 EUR
   4  | 2500 EUR
  10  | 1000 EUR
  25  |  400 EUR
  50  |  200 EUR
 100  |  100 EUR
1000  |   10 EUR
4000  |    2.5 EUR
:roll:
Are you serious about this?
I just wanna swap out my spacebar switch and some other small stuff. 10000 for each switch then? Please tell me the prices are as in the first post.

Return to “Group buys”