[FS/GB] Semi-custom wood wrist rest

The_Beast

08 Jul 2012, 03:15

--------------------------------
What you're ordering:
A semi custom wood wrist rest of your choosing, 4 vinyl feet and the option for extras

Prototype in Soft Maple:
General look -

Height without feet -

Height with feet -

Rules:
Payment by Paypal only. I will also entertain trades, PM me with offers.
- I'm mostly looking at MX CC Skulls (Purple, Pink, White w/ 3d glasses, Blue, Gray, Orange, Green... but mostly the Vader) but also the MLP set or other unique key caps.

International shipping is not something I'm totally familiar with, so any custom fees or problems with customs is 100% on you.

All rest carefully looked at, items sold as is. Lost or stolen packages are buyers responsibility.

Notes:
Here are some woods that are commonly available to me: (This is to show general grain pattern, your piece may look different in grain and color)

Soft Maple - Grown within 50 miles of where I live, sent to the saw mill and then air dried for up to 2 years. Same species of tree that produces sap that's made into maple syrup. Sands very smooth due to it's tight grain. Soft maple is just as hard as hard maple but is easier to work with.

White Ash - The grain is described as bold, straight, moderately open with an occasional wavy pattern.

Red Oak - Oak is regarded as one of the most beautiful woods to work with because of its grain pattern and character. I personally do not like oak of any species because no matter how much you sand it, it will always be slightly rough to the touch due to how the tree grows.

=====================================

Here are some woods that are less available to me: (This is to show general grain pattern, your piece may look different in grain and color)

Hard Maple - Very hard to tell the difference between hard and soft maple, even to an experienced eye. It has much less color variation between sapwood and heartwood and tends to very light in color.

Purple heartwood - The trees are prized for their beautiful heartwood which, when cut, quickly turns from a dark brown to a rich purple color. Exposure to ultraviolet light darkens the wood to a brown color with a slight hue of the original purple. Warning, this wood will turn a dark brown or at least darken to a deep purple with age due to exposure to UV light and oxygen. This wood is very dense compared to other species listed.

Walnut - Walnut is a hard, tough wood prized as a cabinet making wood. It is also popular in the United States for gun stocks and rifle butts. It has similar pitting to oak but isn't nearly as bad.

Zebra wood - Zebrawood is an exotic wood native to the Western African countries of Cameroon and Gabon. It is a hard wood, with a medium to coarse texture. The Zebra-like appearance is due to the light colored sapwood in contrast with the dark colored grain.

Birdeye maple - Birdseye maple is a rare and mysterious characteristic found in hard maple. The one-of-a-kind figure is sought after in all cultures by a multitude of woodworkers, craftsman, and artists.

Tiger/Curly Maple - Curly Maple (Tiger Maple) is traditional hard maple (sugar maple, rock maple, hard rock maple) with a soft and flowing figure similar to tiger stripes.

Cherry - Cherry is a domestic wood that is usually considered to be in the same class as mahogany for usage in the United States. It is described as wood for fine furniture. The stiff and strong wood is reported to work easily with both hand and machine tools. Out of all the woods I've worked with, cherry is the easiest and it even smells nice when sending it through the planer. It retains that smell if left unfinished. Warning, like purple heartwood it tends to darken over time.

Lacewood - Lacewood is an exotic wood that is light reddish-brown, and is reported to be similar in color to Beech. Highly figured, extremely beautiful.

Padauk - Padauk is an exotic wood that is a bright orange or almost crimson wood when freshly cut, but oxidizes to a darker, rich purple-brown over time. It is a good wood in all respects - stable, and easy to work with. It often grows in small groups and is reported to be common in dense equatorial rain forests.

Alder - Part of the Birch family. Alder is light weight like pine but has a much more interesting grain pattern. Fun fact, Alder piles/foundation hold up most of the city of Venice.

Group buys for wood:
With both types of wood, I'd like a minimum order. I don't want to have to take a slab of wood out of the drying rack or buy small pieces at a lumber shop, joint it, plane it, shape it...... if it's only for one HHKB sized rest. That's why I'm implementing a mini-GB type ordering process.

If you don't find a species of wood that you like, but see one in the list above that you then post this:

Wood species: Purple heart
Size: Fullsized

Species will be tracked in post #3 and once the minimum has been reached, I'll do my best to source the wood species. I think this method will allow a greater choice. However, this will also take some time, so be patient.

Unless otherwise noted:
Length:
Fullsized = 17 5/16"
TKL = 14"
Poker = 11.5"

Width:
3 1/2"

Height of back edge: (the one that touches your keyboard)
11/16" or very close to

Front edge tends to be ~1/4". All the angles tend to be slightly different, they are between 7-10 degrees.

Full disclosure, some rest do have a slight wobble and others don't. I'm not sure why but I thought you should know, again it's a very slight wobble on just a few of the rest.

How to order:
Once you see a rest you're going to buy post this:

Ordering: TKL Walnut #9

This will show others that that rest is reserved/pre-ordered. Then send me a PM ASAP with shipping info, any options, paypal info. I will send you an invoice closer to ship date.

Please, please, please do not reserve one if you're not sure you're going to buy it especially if you want it finished. If this becomes the case, I'll just put a list up with size/species, you pick one, pay and I send you a random one. In other words, you'll get no look at the rest before it's sent.

Optional extras:
All orders will ship unvarnished but in a finely sanded state:
1 coat General Finishes "Arm-R-Seal" Oil & Urethane Topcoat Satin - $1.50
3 coat General Finishes "Arm-R-Seal" Oil & Urethane Topcoat Satin - $6
- In between coats the rests are sanded with 320 grit sand paper and the final coat is "sanded" with #0000 steel wool to remove any dust/particles that may have landed on the finish while drying. Allow ~1 week for me to finish these since it take 6-8 hours to dry at optimum conditions and 24 hours at less than optimum conditions and adequate time to full cure the final coat.
- One coat give the wood a nice color since it's an oil/urethane based varnish. 3 coats give the rest more protection but it becomes harder and harder to put coats on without getting steaks.

All orders will ship with 4 vinyl feet but if you want extra feet:
2 extra feet - $0.50

Custom sizes:
Give me a size and I'll make the rest that length. However this may take some extra time.

Examples of the finish:
Soft Maple: (Left/top is unfinished, right/bottom is finished)

Walnut: (Left/top is unfinished, right/bottom is finished)

Alder: (Left/bottom is unfinished, right/top is finished)

Cherry: (Left/bottom is unfinished, right/top is finished)

Shipping + Handling:
Domestic shipping via Priority Mail - $7
International shipping via USPS First Class Mail Parcel - ~$15

Packaging includes 2 layers of bubble wrap and one layer of packing paper

Questions:
If you have any questions, feel free to ask so that everyone reading is informed. In the interest check, someone asked about finishing it themselves, I answered to the best of my ability and I'm sure that person and others learned something about wood finishing. (Can you tell I'm going to be a teacher someday? ;D)
Last edited by The_Beast on 08 Jul 2012, 03:25, edited 1 time in total.

The_Beast

Walnut Poker #1 - $47
Walnut Poker #2 - $47
Cherry Poker - $47

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alder TKL #1 - $43
Alder TKL #2 - $45
Cherry TKL #1 - $51
Cherry TKL #2 - $51
Hard Maple TKL - $50
Cherry/Walnut Mix TKL - Offers Only
Soft Maple TKL - $45 - Sold

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hard Maple Fullsized - $56
Cherry Fullsized - $57
Soft Maple Fullsized - $40
NOT Standard size. It's width is 2 9/16" and is 9/16" tall with no feet

7/8/2012 Updated with: Cherry TKL #2, Hard Maple TKL and Cherry/Walnut Mix
Last edited by The_Beast on 09 Jul 2012, 02:03, edited 3 times in total.

The_Beast

Reserved for GBs

The_Beast

09 Jul 2012, 02:04

Updated with Cherry TKL #2, Hard Maple TKL and Cherry/Walnut Mix that I made this weekend

WRXChris

09 Jul 2012, 02:21

Did you ever find out if you can source Olive wood?

If it's possible, I'm still interested in 1x Poker and 1x TKL!

The_Beast

09 Jul 2012, 03:04

WRXChris wrote:Did you ever find out if you can source Olive wood?

If it's possible, I'm still interested in 1x Poker and 1x TKL!
I haven't asked my lumber guy yet, after GH went down, I haven't really done too much. I will be stopping there this Friday and I'll ask then.

However I found a piece online, 2" x 2" x 12", I could cut it in half to have two 2" x 15/16" x 12" then edge glue them like the Cherry/Walnut mix shown above to get one 4" x 15/16" x 12" pieces. However that would only yield a poker sized rest since it's 12" and pokers are 11.5". That's piece was $32 without shipping :o

From what I've been reading about Olive wood, it's hard to get longer/bigger pieces since Olive wood grows so slowly and most of the actual wood is taken from the branches so no long straight pieces (I do see a lot of pen sized pieces)

Edit: What is the height of the front lip of the poker? I assumed it's the same as a Filco, but is it?

WRXChris

09 Jul 2012, 07:52

The_Beast wrote:What is the height of the front lip of the poker? I assumed it's the same as a Filco, but is it?
It's approximately 18.5mm :)

anthonyP714

10 Jul 2012, 08:38

Why so expensive for such a simple thing? www.hieutrunghandcrafts.com offer way better deal! Sorry dude

The_Beast

10 Jul 2012, 08:58

anthonyP714 wrote:Why so expensive for such a simple thing? http://www.hieutrunghandcrafts.com offer way better deal! Sorry dude
You have a valid point, and I may adjust prices. But, do they have walnut, cherry, alder or the option for more exotic woods like lace wood, purple heart, birdseye maple......? Do they let you see the rest before you buy it/pick exactly the grain pattern you want? Do they offer custom sizes?

BTW Tung oil offers very little protection, it simply enhances the wood grain. It also has to be reapplied every 1.5-2 years and isn't the easiest oil to apply since it does require sanding between coats and does have a long dry time.

Return to “Group buys”