Mrinterface

04 Feb 2013, 12:43

Locked topic on OP request.

7bit

04 Feb 2013, 14:50

What do you mean with "Locked topic"?

Mrinterface

04 Feb 2013, 15:20

7bit wrote:What do you mean with "Locked topic"?
https://wiki.phpbb.com/Lock_topic

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Feb 2013, 15:28

But we don't lock topics here on OPs request.

7bit

04 Feb 2013, 15:31

webwit wrote:But we don't lock topics here on OPs request.
+1

And thanks to Mr Interface that he unlocked it again.
:evilgeek:

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Feb 2013, 15:32

I don't think he did, you can post because you're admin.

7bit

04 Feb 2013, 15:34

Shhhht!

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Feb 2013, 15:38

So now I can start my real and extensive attack on massdrop!

7bit

04 Feb 2013, 15:44

webwit wrote:So now I can start my real and extensive attack on massdrop!
Yes, and we will see if anybody still has arguments in favor of massdrop.

Ascaii
The Beard

04 Feb 2013, 18:53

I like their logo, therefore they must be trustworthy :D

7bit

04 Feb 2013, 18:55

Ascaii wrote:I like their logo, therefore they must be trustworthy :D
Welcome to the moderator team!

Ascaii
The Beard

04 Feb 2013, 19:04

7bit wrote:
Ascaii wrote:I like their logo, therefore they must be trustworthy :D
Welcome to the moderator team!
Liar :(

sordna

04 Feb 2013, 20:30

Oh, the thread is open again? Good!

Could an administrator kindly move the massdrop-debate-related messages to a different thread, so this thread is cleaned up? It's really hurting the project and distracting from what's important.

A decision was made, some people like it some hate it, it's like an election, but now we must all work together to help the country, cough, I mean the project succeed. There will be community group buys, one group buy or even 2 group buys are not enough for this excellent project!

Webwit, can you please clean up the thread / break it up into 2 topics? I think you have done a similar thing before with other threads and it was very helpful. Thanks!

7bit

04 Feb 2013, 20:31

Why don't you discuss the group buy on the site where it is actually run?

fossala
Elite +1

04 Feb 2013, 20:39

This thread is talking about the project as a whole. Why is talking about the projects handling/proxy/payment system not on topic?

sordna

04 Feb 2013, 20:41

@7bit That's fine too, let's dedicate this thread to the project and not the group buy. Please remove the GB stuff, move it elsewhere. Perhaps leave 1 post, pointing to the group buy site (and we'll add pointers to any community group buy threads that will come up as well).
My point is let's clean up this thread because it makes the project (and Deskthority) look bad, and it drove off even Dox himself :-(

@fossala: Most projects have separate threads for the project, and separate for the group buy / tracking orders etc, which makes things cleaner and easier for people to follow the topic of interest (technical stuff, vs ordering stuff).
This thread is discussing the kitchen sink, from design ideas to actual order details, and everything in between. It's messy, so it would be a great service to the community to clean it up. Cleaning up might even bring Dox back.
Last edited by sordna on 04 Feb 2013, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

fossala
Elite +1

04 Feb 2013, 20:45

sordna wrote: @fossala: Most projects have separate threads for the project, and separate for the group buy / tracking orders etc, which makes things cleaner and easier for people to follow the topic of interest (technical stuff, vs ordering stuff).
I understand that but talk about massdrop wasn't bad in here until it was going with them...

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Feb 2013, 23:29

fossala wrote:
sordna wrote: @fossala: Most projects have separate threads for the project, and separate for the group buy / tracking orders etc, which makes things cleaner and easier for people to follow the topic of interest (technical stuff, vs ordering stuff).
I understand that but talk about massdrop wasn't bad in here until it was going with them...
True.

But I wouldn't mind if this topic gets split into two, if most people prefer that.

BugBuster

05 Feb 2013, 00:26

webwit wrote: I wouldn't mind if this topic gets split into two, if most people prefer that.
That quarrel about Massdrop is definitely boring for me, so count me in for the split.
As for my opinion - it's personal decision of every person whom he trusts and who does not. 207 people trusted Massdrop and it's their decision and there is absolutely nothing to discuss. IMHO
In this specific case buying from company was more preferable for me since I get B2B invoice and significantly optimize taxes.

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Feb 2013, 01:12

Me, I sold my soul to the devil because he gave me a B2B invoice to optimize my taxes so there's absolutely nothing to discuss. IMO. End of. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I'll ask the Demongolator to split this topic unless there are strong objections. Hopefully this will make everybody happy who doesn't care about critical opinion about massdrop, for whatever reason (boring, disagreement, etc.), while allowing anyone who does want to talk about that a platform to voice their opinion.

Some people noted that I voiced strong opinion about massdrop as an admin (never ergodox, Dox), please realize that I'm not speaking for all admin or for "deskthority" (some admin don't mind massdrop and that's perfectly ok) and that I never argue based on hierarchy, but on equality and value of arguments alone. I never use power play like "I'm admin so shut up" or "What have you done for DT", etc. because I think that is lame. More importantly, this same principle allows you to violently disagree with me, post about massdrop despite my opinion, and generally ignore my opinion about this in favour of your own, without consequence, and me and the other admin are working to make that happen and are paying for the hosting of your posts of which we might disagree. I hope you respect that too.

AloisiusFauxly

05 Feb 2013, 01:45

I'm for the split.

FWIW webwit, I do respect that you're open to disagreement and that you don't bring your admin status into it.

mSSM

05 Feb 2013, 15:38

The Massdrop people made an ErgoDox layout configurator, which can spit out the layout .hex file that you then can take and dump on your teensy! I think that's a very nice touch. :)
https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/ (not sure if you have to be logged in to see it)

JBert

05 Feb 2013, 17:09

Well, you can see it, but it prints this:
Sign in before editing to save or download layouts.

sordna

05 Feb 2013, 17:57

Makes sense, I wouldn't want anyone on the internet to invoke my compiler. Say, hitting save after a layout modification gives you a download promt for the .hex file in just a couple of seconds, it's very slick !
Uh, dunno but TrulyErgonomic definitely can learn a thing or two from MD :-) TE is a *keyboard* company with *1* product, advertised for years as supposedly programmable, and still they haven't released the promised remapping software.
Yet MD is a general group buy company, currently selling things like pencils, backpacks, and coffee (!) and they produced a very slick layout configurator even before {geek,dt}hackers did!

Icarium

05 Feb 2013, 22:09

I think the guys at Massdrop just really liked the Ergodox and use it themselves. :)

ic07

05 Feb 2013, 22:51

I get that impression too... :) lol, I think it's pretty cool.

The Demongolator
Contra Bonos Mores

05 Feb 2013, 23:58

Please wait while this topic is being filled with massdrop related posts from the other Ergodox topic.

Progress: 100%

You can now continue the discussion below (more posts will be moved later).

TheQsanity

06 Feb 2013, 07:46

Who owns MassDrop btw? Who is/are the people running it?

ic07

06 Feb 2013, 10:41

They're a startup in the Silicon Valley (San Francisco) area, founded by Nelson Wu and Steve El-Hage (reference: this slightly related article).

Return to “Group buys”