Ergodox massdrop groupbuy discussion

bisl

07 Jan 2013, 19:34

Damn! Nice work, Aloisius. Are you going to keep the fun foam base, or are you planning on getting a case for it? I can ask for a case-only option for you for the buy, if you like. Apparently they're supposed to scale well in production, so hopefully it'd be far cheaper than getting it on your own.

AloisiusFauxly

07 Jan 2013, 20:44

I would like to have some sort of case eventually, but I don't know whether I'd want to de- then re-solder all of the switches
into a mounting plate. Depends on the case design that MD comes up with. I'm sure it would be much cheaper than doing something on my own.

ic07

08 Jan 2013, 02:53

Since the links were posted a page or few back: massdrop is currently polling, and hopefully will have a buy posted soon. You have to sign in to vote and be notified when it is, but that's not hard if you have a facebook. Alternatively, you could hang around this thread, as I'm sure there will be activity here when they do post :) . They should be able to ship to the EU too, though I'm not sure what shipping, etc. would be (since IIRC they ship only from the US).

Also, there's been some debate about how good/evil/helpful/conniving massdrop might be as a company, especially when dealing with non-US customers. Please read back for the details if you're interested.

dirge

08 Jan 2013, 09:21

AloisiusFauxly wrote:I would like to have some sort of case eventually, but I don't know whether I'd want to de- then re-solder all of the switches
into a mounting plate. Depends on the case design that MD comes up with. I'm sure it would be much cheaper than doing something on my own.
My one off cost around £60ish all in, but with volume that would have come down a lot. Just found the accuracy wasn't there in the final product. I'm going to try and salvage it with a belt sander :evilgeek:

ironman31

08 Jan 2013, 15:10

Mass drop will allow us to buy multiple sets of the PCBs right?

steve

08 Jan 2013, 16:10

ironman31 wrote:Mass drop will allow us to buy multiple sets of the PCBs right?
I believe their plan was to allow for purchasing of either the entire kit or individual parts (It was in a previous post). I can only assume you can purchase multiple PCB's individually. If not, you could always try emailing them after the item goes up and see if they let you purchase them individually. I mean, it only makes sense to assume that it will just further lower the PCB cost and gain more money for Massdrop... right?

hdss

08 Jan 2013, 23:27

About massdrop, I do believe user webwit has valid arguments to raise concern over the terms as stated by massdrop.

So for now I am not jumping on the wagon named massdrop. Are there users, preferably located in EU, to organizing a buy and/or handling logistics? Maybe I can offer to do distributing some units/parts at my country, NL. Perhaps some neighbouring country's too.

Another possible argument against using massdrop: shipping costs will be higher, I suspect, because they are located at USA - 'somewhere'. Shipping from maybe asia to usa to eu. It all adds up to the bill. It depends on where production is done.
Massdrop has to do sorting and shipping at multiple locations perhaps, so are they capable for that task?

How about producing cases? I see some cases made by 3D-printers and one made of sheets acryllic cut into shape.
Injection molding a serious candidate? How production is planned?
I think about milling a case out of wood for myself. Costs will problably 100+ usd/eur per set. Rough estimate.

ic07

09 Jan 2013, 00:13

hdss wrote:Are there users, preferably located in EU, to organizing a buy and/or handling logistics? Maybe I can offer to do distributing some units/parts at my country, NL. Perhaps some neighbouring country's too.
:) . The only person I remember offering to help was 7bit, here. There may have been others that I've forgotten.
hdss wrote:How about producing cases? I see some cases made by 3D-printers and one made of sheets acryllic cut into shape.
Injection molding a serious candidate? How production is planned?
I think about milling a case out of wood for myself. Costs will problably 100+ usd/eur per set. Rough estimate.
IIRC from what I've heard: The 3D printed cases are ~$200 per set (regardless of volume), the acrylic plate cases maybe half that (or less with volume), and we don't have enough people to consider injection molding. Massdrop will be using the acrylic plate design. If you do your own, please post pics! I'd love to see it :)

bisl

09 Jan 2013, 18:42

Massdrop has posted up a blog entry about the Ergodox. Some highlights:
  • Start date for the buy
  • Case material options
  • Shipping rates & details
  • Price details
Also it seems someone there has been reading the thread, as this blog entry would appear to be addressing webwit directly.
Last edited by bisl on 10 Jan 2013, 01:20, edited 1 time in total.

7bit

09 Jan 2013, 18:50

bisl wrote:...

Also it seems someone there has been reading the thread, as this blog entry would appear to be addressing webwit directly.
LOL! :lol:

They put gift-wrap around their TOS and you can take a look at their changes when they change something.
:shock:

Can't we just run this without massdrop?

It seems everything is finished (contrary to my Hyper keyboard) so all it would need is to decide on a manufacturer for the PCB and start the group buy.

shawn

09 Jan 2013, 19:37

I'm impressed with the work massdrop has done with this (I have no affiliation with massdrop). I especially like their build instructions.

I'll be ordering 2 of these as soon as it's posted. :)

justcallmecrash

09 Jan 2013, 20:07

I'm definitely in for at least 2 sets of PCB.

JesuswasaZombie

09 Jan 2013, 20:26

https://www.massdrop.com/vote/ergodox-keycap

Vote for the blank PBT option I created in the poll so we don't get stuck with ABS and QWERTY :P

justcallmecrash

09 Jan 2013, 20:29

Well, that option quickly took the lead.

bjarven

09 Jan 2013, 20:30

If massdrop manages to get all those parts (seems like everything but the keycaps?) for $199 I think that's a very reasonable price. :) I'll get two or three.
JesuswasaZombie wrote:https://www.massdrop.com/vote/ergodox-keycap

Vote for the blank PBT option I created in the poll so we don't get stuck with ABS and QWERTY :P
Will do, no qwerty for me... But I'm thinking about ordering some colemak keycaps from qwerkeys instead.

JesuswasaZombie

09 Jan 2013, 20:42

Oooh, I haven't even seen those yet, Might be cool but I like blanks because I can't get lazy with them and look.

bisl

09 Jan 2013, 20:51

7bit wrote: Can't we just run this without massdrop?
You absolutely can; Massdrop is by no means compulsory. However, if you want a potenially-$199 potentially-tomorrow option, it will potentially do this for you, if you choose to use it.

ironman31

09 Jan 2013, 21:39

And don't we have to get lucky to get it for a cheaper than 570 price? I don't want to give them my information until I know for sure I will be getting it for 200

AloisiusFauxly

09 Jan 2013, 21:42

Well, good on Massdrop for doing the work they have toward this project. The instructions are nice, and their price point of $200 sans caps seems pretty decent too.
JesuswasaZombie wrote:Oooh, I haven't even seen those yet, Might be cool but I like blanks because I can't get lazy with them and look.
Yeah, same. I went with a light-coloured set so I could write legends on the front slope of the keys, but so far I've been served well by a paper legend of the Colemak layout taped to my monitor.

AloisiusFauxly

09 Jan 2013, 21:45

ironman31 wrote:And don't we have to get lucky to get it for a cheaper than 570 price? I don't want to give them my information until I know for sure I will be getting it for 200
They have an option called Commit to Buy, but it does sound like you need to enter your info:
Commit to Buy lets you choose a price point that works for you. Enter your payment info and you'll only be charged if this buy reaches the price drop level you selected. If this buy never reaches that level, no worries - you won't be charged a dime.
Again, since I am in NA I don't really worry that they would charge anything to my CC for anything other than the price I selected, but if you live in a country where the laws or your CC issuer wouldn't protect you, then YMMV.

ironman31

09 Jan 2013, 22:57

OK. That sounds better

bisl

10 Jan 2013, 04:32

ironman31

10 Jan 2013, 04:50

So what is the count of people that don't trust massdrop? My only experience with them has been good (bought a pair of speakers), so I'll most likely buy one or two.

damorgue

10 Jan 2013, 05:04

[negative rant]
So as predicted, this means you have to buy everything from them with no flexibility whatsoever. This is even before it has begun.

They don't offer the switches I wanted, which I already happen to have if they were to sell a kit without switches. Same goes with most of the other parts. Are are forced to use that case, and only in translucent acrylic? All other cases are nullified I guess since it can't be bought without that case. In the end, the price of just the PCBs then comes 274USD+ probable hidden costs.
[/negative rant]

Glad to finally see the GB happen though. I hope it becomes a great hit.

ironman31

10 Jan 2013, 05:10

The only thing I'm annoyed about is the lack of brown switches and extra pcb's. But that can always be bought from the other group buy, if it happens.

BugBuster

10 Jan 2013, 05:15

We have learned, that they might add more switch options later on as soon as they find them available.

BTW, does anyone know what's the most quiet switch for both programming and occasional gaming? I thought that the Black one is (together with softest O-ring), but then I see how such companies as Razer are putting Browns into their Stealth keyboards. So not sure anymore.
Though I think that I clearly hear the difference when Blacks are compared to Browns on YouTube.

Let's see if they gonna have an aluminum case to show before the buy happens.

damorgue

10 Jan 2013, 05:17

ironman31 wrote:The only thing I'm annoyed about is the lack of brown switches and extra pcb's. But that can always be bought from the other group buy, if it happens.
If the secondary group buy is indeed necessary, then why do we need the Massdrop one? Two separate buys are in no ones interest.

ironman31

10 Jan 2013, 05:19

damorgue wrote:
If the secondary group buy is indeed necessary, then why do we need the Massdrop one? Two separate buys are in no ones interest.
Well I'd rather get one soon than wait a few months for someone else to step forward and do another group buy.

gdaian

10 Jan 2013, 08:25

ironman31 wrote:The only thing I'm annoyed about is the lack of brown switches and extra pcb's. But that can always be bought from the other group buy, if it happens.
Heh, I'm in the exact same position.

Polling for switches options would have been nice and is already possible with the way their website works. Extra PCBs (or individual parts) are more unusual, but provided there are enough of us, we should be able to work something out.

Edit: they actually have something already:
Special Requests: Want some extra PCBs? A second case? Dont need switches? Message us on live chat or shoot us an email, we'll work out something for you.
But no pricing info.

bjarven

10 Jan 2013, 09:52

About the extra pcbs, I see a option for them when I try to buy? But I don't see any prices for them so I emailed them about it.

Too bad that there are no brown switches though :( I'll probably get one with blues and one without, and then get some browns from 7bit if the blues are not to my liking. :)

Return to “Group buys”