PBT dyesubs 104/105 sets round2 (complete)

BimboBB

22 May 2013, 10:31

rindorbrot wrote:Please offer also spacebars and capslock individualy ivan, I want an el cheapo moogle for my SAD set...

Yes, a complete moogle kit would be really cool. I would take a few.

LechnerDE

22 May 2013, 11:06

As I already wrote in the geekhack thread:

I'd take 5 white spacebars and would be interested in other moogle stuff as well. Maybe you can check with IMSTO whether he is willing to sell those keys separately?

Grond

22 May 2013, 11:10

What about multicolor euro layout?

cookie

22 May 2013, 11:17

Blank ISO and I am IN!

BimboBB

22 May 2013, 11:33

they dont have an ISO enter mould.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

22 May 2013, 11:46

Where to get a blank ISO Enter keycap:
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/ ... eycap.html

Quote: "Available in multiple colors."

BimboBB

22 May 2013, 11:57

thats an idea, but....

- wrong profile
- wrong material
- most probably no matching colours

cookie

22 May 2013, 14:03

BimboBB wrote:thats an idea, but....

- wrong profile
- wrong material
- most probably no matching colours
That are exactely the problems :/

pasph

22 May 2013, 16:53

Qwerkeys:
"We only can offer Modifier Keycaps (Shift, Ctrl, Alt etc) in Minimum Order Quantities of 100 but will do our best to point you in the direction of group buys that are arranged on forums"
Maybe they can do a PBT blank iso enter in their mid gray color

Grond

22 May 2013, 17:03

But then you have the same problems than Wasd: different color, material and mold.

pasph

22 May 2013, 17:09

I have both Qwerkeys 1x1 abs sample cap and Imsto gray dyesub.
When i get home i can check profile and color.
For the material i was saying "if they have pbt", who knows?

IvanIvanovich

22 May 2013, 17:17

No other individual keys will be offered except maybe for some 1x1 B profile. ISO RGB won't happen this time, but I will fight to get it in the future. Can't make the EU parliment set because they refuse to dyesub sideprint as they say they have too much problems with the side getting deformed. I guess we can do that set with BSP eventually.

Acanthophis

22 May 2013, 18:54

IvanIvanovich wrote:No other individual keys will be offered except maybe for some 1x1 B profile.
Well, keep us posted ;)

jean_popovitch

22 May 2013, 23:10

I would take one of those ural kits, if the mod (and function) keys were in black font only. The second color is supposed to show the alternative layout, so the colored symbols don't make sense to me.
Any chance of reconsidering that ?

IvanIvanovich

22 May 2013, 23:25

I'm tired of things always being some established boring banality. If it looks good, it is good, and damn the old conventions.

mbodrov

23 May 2013, 02:44

mintberryminuscrunch wrote:did they improve their printing? I had the impression letters were less sharp (from an earlier imto gb).
or does it depend on colour?
IvanIvanovich wrote:Dyesub will always have a bit of soft edge
As an illustration, here are a few high-resolution pictures of Cherry's different legend printing methods:

Lasered
Lasered / pad print
Lasered / pad print
M.jpg (268.7 KiB) Viewed 5506 times
Note the path traced by the laser. Also note the pad printing just beginning to wear off.

Doubleshot
Doubleshot / pad print
Doubleshot / pad print
M.jpg (289.01 KiB) Viewed 5506 times
Note the crisp edge of the doubleshot legend. Also note the yellowed (originally clear) protective overcoat which Cherry used with pad printing on their ABS keycaps, but not on PBT like the previous one.

Dyesub
Dyesub
Dyesub
M.jpg (166.93 KiB) Viewed 5506 times
Note the soft edge.

Bonus - IBM dyesub
IBM dyesub
IBM dyesub
M.jpg (177.32 KiB) Viewed 5506 times
Included for comparison is a dyesub keycap from an IBM Model M. Note the 'cat's tongue' texture, much more aggressive than Cherry's, and notoriously hard both to clean and to keep clean for any length of time.

Halvar

23 May 2013, 07:49

What a great post with excellent photos! This shouldn't be hidden in the middle of a GB thread.

maxmalkav
dye hard

23 May 2013, 17:40

Ivan, how can I modify my order?
(it's the kind of process I like to see described at the beginning of the thread :) )

rindorbrot

23 May 2013, 17:51

after you submitted your first order, you got a link with which you can edit it.
You should have saved it ;)

maxmalkav
dye hard

24 May 2013, 02:38

rindorbrot wrote:after you submitted your first order, you got a link with which you can edit it.
You should have saved it ;)
It went unnoticed to me, I (wrongly) assumed nothing else was of interest after submitting the form. IIRC, the mat3o form was quite straightforward to realise about the order code for any possible edit. I'll be watching much more carefuly during the next form submitting. Anyway, it's not a bad idea to reinforce that info which may not be that trivial for n00bs and awkard people like me :)

F u r u y á

24 May 2013, 10:43

mbodrov wrote:[insert awesome pictures here]
To make justice to the dyesub, it seems that the lightning conditions/setup are not the same as the doubleshot and the lasered. It is brighter, resulting in less contrast for the dyesub!

I say that because of the overall amount of brightness in the whole picture and because of the reflective grainy details of the keycap's surface due to the bigger amount of light (flash?).

On another note, what is that inner box of yellowish shade in the doubleshot? If I failed to describe, here is a picture:
It looks like result of printing/sticker process (because it's well outlined), very weird.

Please don't be mad (I'm not trying to be a jerk), if your pictures were not beautiful I wouldn't be scrutinizing them like I am now :)

Jmneuv

24 May 2013, 11:18

Also note the yellowed (originally clear) protective overcoat
Overcoat to protect pad printing.

F u r u y á

24 May 2013, 12:48

Oh, you're right. I missed it in his post.

mbodrov

24 May 2013, 13:51

The photos were taken on the same table under the same lamp, but months apart. Still, the differences you noticed are not there due to lighting conditions, they are indeed present on the keycaps.

The L (lasered) and H (doubleshot) keycaps are from relatively modern keyboards (ca. 2000-2002) which use the modern Cherry albino grey color scheme (look up some pictures of a 3000HPMRB) like the one from IvanIvanovich's Round 1. The S (dyesub) keycap is from a 1990s keyboard when the vintage beige/white color scheme was still used, similar to the one in this Round 2. Hence the S keycap is a 'whiter white' than the L and H; in the photo it looks as if it was under brighter light. It is really just a brighter shade of white. The L and H are closer to grey, and the S is closer to ivory. When you try to combine keycaps from different sets on a keyboard, these subtle color differences become very visible, and it is a big problem.

As for the texture, the L keycap has lost a bit of its texture, being in daily use on my main keyboard, even though it is the hard-wearing PBT. On the H keycap the texture is covered and smoothed out by the overcoat. The S keycap, in near-new condition, shows the texture best.

F u r u y á

25 May 2013, 09:54

Nice, that explains. Thanks!

ilezia

02 Jun 2013, 20:31

In for a red us ansi.

jabar

02 Jun 2013, 20:33

Grond wrote:What about multicolor euro layout?

oh my that is awesome

cookie

03 Jun 2013, 11:03

Grond wrote:What about multicolor euro layout?

Is it just me or are this mixed language keys look like a bunch of angry faces to you?

maxmalkav
dye hard

03 Jun 2013, 14:32

The guys of the Tower of Babel thought something similar :P

Halvar

03 Jun 2013, 15:25

Diaresis-wedge-Tilde guy is not impressed.

Return to “Group buys”