Teensy++ controller in Europe

7bit

06 Jun 2013, 23:36

For the upcoming Hyper keyboard, I need the Teensy++ controller (required by all keyboards larger than the Phantom).

I would order directly from PJRC, but if someone knows a cheaper source, please let me know.

The ++ with pins is $27 and without $24.

Price will be around 28 EUR for 25 controllers with pins, or 27 EUR for 40.

Shipping worldwide comes to the usual 4 EUR no matter how many you order (will be shipped along with CherryMX stuff and Round 4 leftovers, or your Hyper keyboard parts).

In case if we order from PJRC, you can also order anything else they have in stock.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Jun 2013, 23:43

I paid mine 22.85 from EU (DE actually). Will give you the shop if you are interested (and if I gmail search assists me).

7bit

06 Jun 2013, 23:44

OK, thanks!

BimboBB

07 Jun 2013, 00:08

Recently found this shop from DE, but its not that cheap as matteo's.

7bit

07 Jun 2013, 00:20

It is more expensive than from PJRC.

The price to beat without pins is 25 EUR (25x) and 24 EUR (40x).

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Jun 2013, 00:31

gotbadger

07 Jun 2013, 13:51

Bought a teensy 3 from these guys 24.5 EUR for teensy 2 ++ without pins

http://www.pieterfloris.nl/shop/product ... roduct=100

Soarer

07 Jun 2013, 16:31

You could use one or two 74138 3 to 8 line decoders (which are v. cheap), so you could use the Teensy 2.0 instead :idea:

But in the end, saving a couple of Euro on the controller is pretty irrelevant :roll:

Muirium
µ

07 Jun 2013, 16:40

I'll need a controller for my custom keyboard. What's the suggested Teensy to go for? Are they code compatible?

One important limit: Matteo's design puts it under the space bar!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Jun 2013, 16:58

Muirium wrote:I'll need a controller for my custom keyboard. What's the suggested Teensy to go for? Are they code compatible?

One important limit: Matteo's design puts it under the space bar!
you can fit only a teensy 2 in my design maybe a teensy 3 with a 6.25 spacebar (but the CPU is different, don't know if we have all the required software for that)

7bit

07 Jun 2013, 17:11

Soarer wrote:You could use one or two 74138 3 to 8 line decoders (which are v. cheap), so you could use the Teensy 2.0 instead :idea:

But in the end, saving a couple of Euro on the controller is pretty irrelevant :roll:
This is too cryptic for me.

Ekaros

07 Jun 2013, 17:17

Will ++ fit the hyper...

And what is the schedule. I think I will have bit of cash this time ;D

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Jun 2013, 17:19

Also while you are at it... why don't you add the teensy2 to the GB? (no ++)

7bit

07 Jun 2013, 17:22

matt3o wrote:Also while you are at it... why don't you add the teensy2 to the GB? (no ++)
The 5x15 keyboards (HyperMini, qHack) should have the controller on the PCB, the teensy2++ is for the larger keyboards.

Soarer

07 Jun 2013, 17:37

Soarer wrote:You could use one or two 74138 3 to 8 line decoders (which are v. cheap), so you could use the Teensy 2.0 instead :idea:

7bit wrote:This is too cryptic for me.
What's cryptic? Using two small extra chips means 4 pins on CPU gives you 16 strobes. Saving 12 pins. Chip is maybe only 20 cents each. Coding is simply putting out a binary code on those 4 pins, rather than setting individual pins (i.e. easier!).

7bit

07 Jun 2013, 18:04

Joker wrote:That's cryptic! Using two small extra clips means 4 prince on CSD gives you 16 globes. Saving 12 prince. Clip is maybe only 20 pence each. Cooking is simply pudding out a library code on those 4 prince, rather than setting individual prince (i.e. easier!).
I'm surely interesed in a better solution as the teensy++, but currently I don't know of any.
:roll:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Jun 2013, 18:04

what's wrong with teensy++, size?

Soarer

07 Jun 2013, 19:03

7bit wrote:
Joker wrote:That's cryptic! Using two small extra clips means 4 prince on CSD gives you 16 globes. Saving 12 prince. Clip is maybe only 20 pence each. Cooking is simply pudding out a library code on those 4 prince, rather than setting individual prince (i.e. easier!).
I'm surely interesed in a better solution as the teensy++, but currently I don't know of any.
:roll:
Okay! Fuck you too! Have a nice day now!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Jun 2013, 19:06

^^

Am I missing something?!

7bit

07 Jun 2013, 19:41

The point is simply that I truely do not understand what Soarer means. He always speaks in mysterious phrases.

Is here anybody who fully understands Soarers description and can generate a part list and a how to out of it?

Soarer

07 Jun 2013, 19:54

Then why not just ask about the bits you don't understand rather than be a dick and change every word?

The basic idea is to use some small, cheap chips to allow you to use the Teensy instead of the Teensy++... do you even understand that?

7bit

07 Jun 2013, 20:07

Soarer wrote:Then why not just ask about the bits you don't understand rather than be a dick and change every word?

The basic idea is to use some small, cheap chips to allow you to use the Teensy instead of the Teensy++... do you even understand that?
The point is I don't understand 100% of what you say.

Now I understand better
Let Tpp be Teensy++, T the Teensy controller and X some small, cheap chips, then you suggest:
Tpp=T+X

I think this is a software vs. hardware guy problem. For me, these are black boxes with input and output pins which have to be connected somehow. I'm glad I need not to know how to make something like a teensy. I don't have the time. I also can't make double shot molds or operate a machine that does the job, nor I can produce colored plastic.

I just want a keyboard with my dream layout and want the easiest way to get it. Teensy and Teensy++ are well-understood in terms of software and how they should be soldered to the keyboard. $16 v. $24 is not so much of a difference, so unless you explain me exactly what to do and where to get some small, cheap chips, I can't use your solution.

:-)

dondy

07 Jun 2013, 20:21

7bit wrote:... $16 v. $24 is not so much of a difference, so unless you explain me exactly what to do and where to get some small, cheap chips, I can't use your solution.

i really don't understand why you are *so* defensive about using a teensy++, also - saving 8$ does sound really nice; esp. if you break one or two. just saying it's not interresting because it's not that much money is a pretty "meh" a argument - esp. with a product like a teensy where the total cost for the actual device is probably well below 10$ if you ignore sunken costs.

also soarer mentioned that it would make it easier on the software side - while i can't follow what makes it easier i would trust him to know what he means.

"you *can* extinguish fire with oil".

Soarer

07 Jun 2013, 20:32

7bit wrote:$16 v. $24 is not so much of a difference
And yet there is this thread, wanting to save even €1 on the price of a Teensy++ :roll:
so unless you explain me exactly what to do and where to get some small, cheap chips, I can't use your solution.
Meh, I suggested an idea. If you don't want to use it that's fine. The only things to consider initially are whether you'd like to save the money, and if you have room for two 16-pin chips somewhere on your PCB. The details come later - hopefully once you have a collaborator that understands how to make a keyboard! :lol:

7bit

07 Jun 2013, 20:34

Because I don't understand how to solve the T+X problem.
:mad:

I know all components: PCB, how to design it, where to get switches, diodes (also which) and the controller.

This is one path to solve the problem. You suggest there exist a cheaper solution, so please give a constructive proof. Proving the existence is not enough.

Soarer

07 Jun 2013, 20:54

WTF are you on about... 'constructive proof'? :lol:

Look, I'm not going to spend time detailing it all out, only for you to turn round and say "Can't fit those chips on", or "Gonna go with Teensy++ anyway". Either you have room for the chips or you do not. Either the money is worth saving or it is not. You could answer those questions already. So bollocks to you demanding that I work to convince you of the idea - I couldn't give a damn if you use it or not! :roll:

7bit

07 Jun 2013, 21:20

I declare matt3o the winner of this contest, because he found the cheapest solution.

Special price goes to Soarer how found the cheapest suggestion.

Thanks everybody for participating!

Soarer

07 Jun 2013, 21:36

7bit, I want proof that you a can build a keyboard... can you show me one that you've built? :evilgeek:

edit: it must actually work, btw!

Muirium
µ

07 Jun 2013, 21:40

Why must mom and dad fight?

Anyway, what's the controller to use if you want LED back lights under every key in the board? You hook up the LEDs into a similar matrix to the switches, so I gather. But what chip is well suited to controlling those?

Halvar

07 Jun 2013, 21:43

Soarer, you infuriated 7bit by suggesting a cheaper solution in his GB thread. That's threadcrapping, and he doesn't like that! :evilgeek:

Return to “Group buys”