[IC] GMK Alpha sets

Peter

27 Jun 2013, 01:38

Halvar wrote:Depends on the language. ANSI caps do.

http://deskthority.net/wiki/File:Cherry_3000_front.jpg
Yeah well .. That's why I edited the post to say 'nice' .
Either way, it's WRONG
Arrow Up on L-SHIFT - Arrow Down on Craps Lock .
Eliminates that stupid spelling-error, doesn't it ?

PS : 'ENTER' only belongs on the num-pad - The correct 'name' for the other one is .. 'RETURN' .
Like in 'carriage return' !

IvanIvanovich

27 Jun 2013, 02:42

I only posted those mods so people can see what the proposed red, green, blue and grey would look like on the most likely to be paired with modifier cap colors.
I intend to keep with the symbols only modifiers always as they are more universal for all layouts and I also agree they just generally look better as they are not cluttered. I may offer some special mods only (like the CMYK pack was) standalone pack with text (only?) at some point though.

santino

27 Jun 2013, 02:47

Does QWERTY change to QWERTZ if I buy a DE language set? Or are only the keycaps included, which are blank in the base set? And how about an iso enter key?

Peter

27 Jun 2013, 03:00

IvanIvanovich :
No later than today, @ 1700 hours, I had a chat with a 73-year old life-time professional 'keyboard' user ..
She wasn't pleased with modern 'keyboards' AT ALL ..
Because : She has a laptop with 'Trans-Nordic' layout - And it is just WRONG !
As always,in the 'Nordic Countries' .. It's the Swedes fault !
If you don't get my point : Check out the 'Nordic' Steelseries 6Gv2 !

(Hvad Fanden er der med jer svenskere og jeres Tyske umlaut ??
Nordisk Råd burde stoppe det her idioti MED DET SAMME )

Peter

27 Jun 2013, 03:01

santino wrote:Does QWERTY change to QWERTZ if I buy a DE language set? Or are only the keycaps included, which are blank in the base set? And how about an iso enter key?
DE-Layout IS QWERTZ !!

IvanIvanovich

27 Jun 2013, 05:10

Yes DE pack will have additional ZY keys in their appropriate rows for DE layout.
There is specific DK,NO,SF layout keys, not mixed Nordic. Cherry always had them separate layouts for doubleshots and not multi as far as I know.

tlt

27 Jun 2013, 07:41

I also think the mixed Nordic legends is really ugly. Och det är självklart Danskens fel :-). I would be surprised if they have those. Feels like something lazy companies do to save a buck on cheap laptop production.

santino

27 Jun 2013, 11:31

Why is the navpack only available in purple? I would really like to buy a whole set of 105 keycaps, but not with purple. :) And are this doubleshots? The pictures look more like padprinted keys?

ForestFunK

27 Jun 2013, 11:41

santino wrote:Why is the navpack only available in purple? I would really like to buy a whole set of 105 keycaps, but not with purple. :)
Yeah please make another navpack in grey! :D

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

27 Jun 2013, 12:37

I really hope we end choosing Grey. It would be a shame if people whose only chance at getting Cherry/GMK keys in their language is stuck with a flashy color.
Also, If we choose grey, we can make blue modifiers next and get a space cadet key set :twisted:

IvanIvanovich

27 Jun 2013, 14:44

Purple NAV pack is being offered for chance to complete the purple modifier packs from last buy. If it's clear it won't make the MOQ 300 then I might consider offering other color for modifier and nav this buy maybe. We will just have to wait and see how interest is. I would rather start with everything from fresh next time though taking it in steps.

santino

27 Jun 2013, 14:48

Do you know if gmk offers some darker blue? The keys in your pictures look a bit too bright for my taste. I was on their website, but the havent a list of available colors.

IvanIvanovich

27 Jun 2013, 14:58

They will make keys to order in any plastic stock color that they can get from one of their supplier. So pretty much anything is possible to be made.
Maybe one day we can do something like a navy blue on creamy like the Amiga key base color I think would look nice.

Grond

27 Jun 2013, 15:06

I'd say white on black modifiers are the way to go. They'll match the grey alphas in a pseudo dolch way, should look good with other colors as well and will double as a moogle kit for classic cherry sets. I never quite got the purple modifiers craze, though I have to admit they don't look bad on their own.

dirge

27 Jun 2013, 15:14

I do wish there were some more natural colour choices, they are quite extreme bright colours. I mean fine to go with the purple and build a complete set over time, but not my personal taste. Maybe a 10th anniversary GMK clone would do well?

that said I'll be in for a set regardless lol.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

27 Jun 2013, 21:21

IvanIvanovich wrote:Purple NAV pack is being offered for chance to complete the purple modifier packs from last buy. If it's clear it won't make the MOQ 300 then I might consider offering other color for modifier and nav this buy maybe. We will just have to wait and see how interest is. I would rather start with everything from fresh next time though taking it in steps.
Wouldn't we then indirectly be offering a full set if the Purple nav pack doesn't go through?

If so, I really think it will make a big difference in how many non-ANSI-US-users will join in on the Alpha GB if they could buy a matching modifier pack at the same time, thus creating a full set. It would just make it much more accessible, and less complicated.

I think that if we offer a blue modifier pack alongside the grey alpha set, we will have a much larger support from non frequent DT/GH users, it will also render a lot of people able to create a Dolch set, since black modifiers is not all too rare, while still offering something that Originative doesn't.

IvanIvanovich

28 Jun 2013, 00:21

Yes, I added the question if interest in white on black mod+nav pack to the form. It's one of those things many people need, with lots of broken old sets around, sets without proper mods, wrong row profile nav cluster from 1800/7000, etc... we can get it out of the way.
I am kind of thinking to alternate between buys white or other light color legend on X color, next buy black or dark legend on X color... then have classic black on beige mod+nav pack for next time and get that out of the way.

Even if we offer same colorway as originative, we can do multiple languages, more key sizes, and still be cheaper!

tlt

01 Jul 2013, 22:15

I think purple and gray is kind of tasteful but I think purple and green works too.
Last edited by tlt on 01 Jul 2013, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.

kekstee

01 Jul 2013, 23:07

Hm, I think I did send that form the last time I saw it, I'm not entirely sure though. :D

And I have to be boring for the sake of a nice and complete set that might make MOQ. Grey it is. Go German alpha!

Grond

02 Jul 2013, 10:02

IvanIvanovich wrote:Yes, I added the question if interest in white on black mod+nav pack to the form. It's one of those things many people need, with lots of broken old sets around, sets without proper mods, wrong row profile nav cluster from 1800/7000, etc... we can get it out of the way.
Great! I hope it makes to MOQ, but I'm pretty sure it will.

dirge

02 Jul 2013, 10:13

What about clear alphas? it may help drive the light project :)

IvanIvanovich

03 Jul 2013, 17:03

Some concerns were raised about clear legend. Need to make sure we can avoid having the base color running through the entire legend making it appear like blank keys. I mean look on the underside of Cherry keycaps and you can see how thick some of those shot lines are. Also even if they do happen I think it will be for letters/numbers only as there are many others like Control, Esc, and more that placed over the stem which won't look great either.

IvanIvanovich

10 Jul 2013, 18:22

OK, now with 100 votes, so this is a better sample. Based on what results I have I don't think purple nav pack is going to make it. We will have white/black mods+nav set to go with the alphas so that means a full sets if buying all packs. I think I will be combining the DE/DK/NO/SF and ES/IT/PT into one larger pack as I don't think they will be making MOQs on their own and there is enough interest to still make an effort. Result looks pretty clear, but I will leave voting open for few more days while I get organized and get mock ups finished before posting it into groupbuy.

Halvar

10 Jul 2013, 18:51

That sounds great to me. Looking forward to a most universal work-save "dark dolch" set from GMK, and to all the needed adapter keys for my black Cherry sets in optimal quality.

kekstee

10 Jul 2013, 20:44

No purple Nav? People are just receiving their sets, do you know if this form really reached the previous buyers?

Halvar

11 Jul 2013, 10:44

I also thought Ivan would just put the purple navs into the group buy thread and look if they reached MOQ or not. I'd buy one (and only one). But if the poll shows that even trying would already be an exercise in futility then why bother.

bueller

11 Jul 2013, 16:15

Voted. Dead keen to see the purple nav pack pushed through to accompany the mods from the last GB! Also think purple + grey would look pretty awesome anyway!

IvanIvanovich

11 Jul 2013, 16:44

We will see...

kekstee

11 Jul 2013, 20:01

We could also put up leftovers for nav buyers to get some more people in. I still have a mod set left, if it arrives some day :P There might be others out there.

Sputnik

11 Jul 2013, 22:54

Hey Ivan, we purple proud owners NEED those purple nav....make it happen
In for an alpha too of course, and for a language pack (providing IT coverage would be GREAT)

Return to “Group buys”