IC/Discussion on beige set

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Jun 2013, 18:15

Okay after the extremely successful DSA Retro GB I'm considering a beige two tones set (yeah I know I'm the retro-man).

I asked some quotes and currently I'm torn between the following options. I'd like to know your opinion.

1) DSA PBT Dye-Sub from SP
2) SA ABS Double shot from SP (having all the missing keys done), basically a Realforce Hi-Pro clone
3) Standard Cherry Replica from GMK

Please note that all options would include 5-6 EU languages.

Option 1 is the one I like the most since we wouldn't have MOQ, we wouldn't have to build expensive tooling and ISO keys wouldn't be an issue due to dye-sub. Also PBT is always tempting, unfortunately spacebar will be ABS of course.

Option 2 is tempting but we probably miss tooling for at least the 2.75 shift, making the GB starting from 4500 USD.

Option 3 is also nice but of course we have to meet the 400 MOQ of GMK. I think we could hit that for ANSI but would be hard to do that much for ISO kits. I asked them if they could lower the MOQ for the ISO kit but I don't think that is going to happen.

What's your though?
Last edited by matt3o on 28 Jun 2013, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.

Gilgam

28 Jun 2013, 18:24

DSA PBT Dye sub (why not double shot ? )
SA if FR is included.

mintberryminuscrunch

28 Jun 2013, 18:27

11111!1111!!!!!!!111!!1

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Jun 2013, 18:28

Gilgam wrote:DSA PBT Dye sub (why not double shot ? )
SA if FR is included.
because it's easier to have all languages printed... and because of PBT :)

7bit

28 Jun 2013, 18:30

matt3o wrote: 1) DSA PBT Dye-Sub from SP
2) SA ABS Double shot from SP (having all the missing keys done), basically a Realforce Hi-Pro clone
3) Standard Cherry Replica from GMK

Option 2 is tempting but we probably miss tooling for at least the 2.75 shift, making the GB starting from 4500 USD.
SA-family.

Legends are all there (except for SHIFT they must invent the FT-ligature).
If they want $4500 for the tools for 2.75 units shift key, they raised their prices quite a bit. We had to pay $3500 for each space bar.

Nevertheless, it should be doable.

Sell 450 kits and add 7.69 EUR to each kit and people get a 2.75 units SHIFT key.

If you are clever you can add a right SHIFT in Round 4 SPHBLUE.
:-)

mintberryminuscrunch

28 Jun 2013, 18:33

matt3o wrote:
SA if FR is included.
btw. how is their printing ? can you ask them to send you the files, so you can check where we can improve them?
SHIF T :lol:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Jun 2013, 19:02

7bit wrote: SA-family.

Legends are all there (except for SHIFT they must invent the FT-ligature).
If they want $4500 for the tools for 2.75 units shift key, they raised their prices quite a bit. We had to pay $3500 for each space bar.

Nevertheless, it should be doable.

Sell 450 kits and add 7.69 EUR to each kit and people get a 2.75 units SHIFT key.

If you are clever you can add a right SHIFT in Round 4 SPHBLUE.
:-)
I seem to recall they said $4500, but it could be $3500.

450 kits would be a hell of a result. Don't know if it's doable.
mintberryminuscrunch wrote:
matt3o wrote:
SA if FR is included.
btw. how is their printing ? can you ask them to send you the files, so you can check where we can improve them?
SHIF T :lol:
dye sub is a printing process, legends are not molded. We could have any typeface, at any size, at any kerning we want.

mintberryminuscrunch

28 Jun 2013, 19:10

matt3o wrote:...
dye sub is a printing process, legends are not molded. We could have any typeface, at any size, at any kerning we want.
That's why I'm saying we should have them checked before they start printing, or will you create your own?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Jun 2013, 19:13

mintberryminuscrunch wrote:
That's why I'm saying we should have them checked before they start printing, or will you create your own?
this! (sorry didn't mention it before)

bigfatmc

28 Jun 2013, 19:17

I would wish for number 3 obviously but I don't think we would meet MOQ either...
Maybe if it was included in the standard kit.

dirge

28 Jun 2013, 19:21

Option 4
GMK doubleshot version of 10th anniversary

With optional vintage cherry function row (before I go insane and killpeople)

really tho, if it ends up being GMK matty, just DO that function row please. maybe even the nav cluster and arrow keys too...

Muirium
µ

28 Jun 2013, 19:23

I was just reading the discussion on this at GH this afternoon, and wondered when we would hear about it again. Very tasty range of choices, but the pain is in having to pick just one!

Option 2 is my favourite. Option 1 is also very strong. Option 3, not for me.

SA really does draw me right in. I absolutely do want a little HiPro of my own design! That profile does introduce the complexity of row dependency between keys, though. With DSA you can just go wild, and I did with my backspace in particular. SA, well, I'd have to play it safer. Could go blanks, of course, but double-shot is so hard to turn down when it's on the table.

PBT dyesub DSA is also highly interesting. Its pros and cons are complementary to SA in DS ABS.

The colours matter quite a bit too, of course. I'd like to know what retro machine in particular we're going for. In fact: how about a different font this time, too? There's nothing as authentic for the old school look, and as adaptable, as Helvetica. If it's retro enough for the Model F:

Note: Helvetica. Not Arial. The G is how you tell.

Changing font means we could kiss SHIF T goodbye forever. Helvetica has its kerning aced.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Jun 2013, 19:45

dirge wrote:With optional vintage cherry function row (before I go insane and killpeople)

really tho, if it ends up being GMK matty, just DO that function row please. maybe even the nav cluster and arrow keys too...
you really like that color combo, don't you?

Please note that SA would be all on ROW3, so no key profiles anyway.

Muirium
µ

28 Jun 2013, 19:50

matt3o wrote:Please note that SA would be all on ROW3, so no key profiles anyway.
Music to my ears!

Are you sure you want to command another intercontinental GB, though, Matteo? I hear that running a few too many of those is a sure way to end up a little … well … 7bit.

7bit

28 Jun 2013, 19:54

you really like that color combo, don't you?
Yes, me too!
matt3o wrote:Please note that SA would be all on ROW3, so no key profiles anyway.
Why all in row 3, BTW?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Jun 2013, 20:02

Muirium wrote:Are you sure you want to command another intercontinental GB, though, Matteo? I hear that running a few too many of those is a sure way to end up a little … well … 7bit.
yes going through GMK would be better, but we would be locked on DCS layout.
7bit wrote:
Why all in row 3, BTW?
I thought it would be better, no? You'd prefer a profiled layout?

Muirium
µ

28 Jun 2013, 20:06

Profiled is better, in the abstract, but causes trouble for layout tinkerers like me and surely for the organiser, too. A whole other dimension for people to request options on and squabble over.

SA taking a fixed-profile page out of DSA's book is fine by me.

maxmalkav
dye hard

28 Jun 2013, 20:20

Option 1, pls ;)

you could even offer blank kits, being PBT the would sell quite well.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Jun 2013, 20:26

yes, if we go PBT, blanks will be added for sure.

Actually I'd like to keep this inside EU, but I don't think GMK will be feasible.

rindorbrot

28 Jun 2013, 20:30

Is SP even able to make a PBT ISO Enter? AFAIK at least for DCS they say they can't.

zulios

28 Jun 2013, 21:03

If you consider including FR, I'd love option 1.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Jun 2013, 21:41

rindorbrot wrote:Is SP even able to make a PBT ISO Enter? AFAIK at least for DCS they say they can't.
I'll double check that. thanks for pointing that out, but they didn't raise an alert when I asked.
zulios wrote:If you consider including FR, I'd love option 1.
I'd like to have UK, DE, SE, IT, FR, ES

guilleguillaume

28 Jun 2013, 21:59

I would choose the first option over the second one but is GMK able to produce the original Cherry spherical keys?

Can't find the other pictures taken by Sixty.Two of the microphones we use at work use these keys but being lasered engraved keys.

I love Dirge's function layout with yellow keys but I hate the 10th anniversary colour scheme :mrgreen:

pasph

28 Jun 2013, 22:07

This is from GMK

Isn't the "E" an "sa family" and the "shift" a "dsa family"?

Wraul

28 Jun 2013, 22:34

matt3o wrote:I'd like to have UK, DE, ---->SE<-----, IT, FR, ES
Love you :D

Personally I would prefer GMK but I fully understand that that might be a hard MOQ to reach.

Muirium
µ

28 Jun 2013, 23:16

Just wait for the Danes to turn up…

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Jun 2013, 23:19

GMK is unable to produce full spherical-top sets. If it's GMK it's standard layout.

douchecanoe

29 Jun 2013, 00:04

I would probably be in for this one, provided you do ANSI and open it up for North America. Kinda pissed I missed the Retro GB, but this should look nice too, especially if I do a sleeper build for my next PC
guilleguillaume wrote: Image
This is getting me hot, damn

IvanIvanovich

29 Jun 2013, 01:04

If you do end up going with GMK, maybe you could flip it so it stands out from all the 'easy' to find vintage Cherry sets out there...

I would love something like that for more standard modern layout. Also if you didn't want to deal with North America, I would be willing to help out.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

29 Jun 2013, 07:14

As long as we have MALTRON layout in SA profile, I am all in.

Ok, I know that is a long shot, but make it happen.

Return to “Group buys”