[COMPLETED] Laser Cut Prototyping mini-GB

mtl

13 Sep 2013, 19:25

Sweet. :-D

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Sep 2013, 12:54

wondering if you'd like me to check your boards for errors before shipping or if you'd want them right away.

Zifle

14 Sep 2013, 13:07

I wouldn't mind that, I won't receive my switches before late sept./oct. anyway, so it's not like it it'd delay my project.

Muirium
µ

14 Sep 2013, 13:14

Count me in. I know my board's a bit of a risk, anyway, and I'm very keen to hear how it fits together.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

14 Sep 2013, 15:57

I am waiting for my Teensies from JDcarpes gb over at GH anyway, so I have no problem waiting and have them checked first.

Muirium
µ

14 Sep 2013, 16:01

A Teensy GB you say?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Sep 2013, 16:16

yeah but they are not that cheaper than buying them directly in EU... well unless you buy a ton of them of course

mtl

14 Sep 2013, 17:01

Yes, if you could check it first that would be great. Thanks!

Muirium
µ

16 Sep 2013, 18:17

Checked your mail today, Matt?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 Sep 2013, 20:08

I got a package today but it was a CNC case I did a while back :) I guess I'll get the cuts tomorrow.

Muirium
µ

16 Sep 2013, 20:14

Always busy…

Is the mystery case worth showing off?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 Sep 2013, 21:21

Muirium wrote:Always busy…

Is the mystery case worth showing off?
oh nothing special, just an alu poker case for the GH60 (or whatever)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Sep 2013, 13:19

I just received all the cuts! I'll post some pictures later.

Muirium
µ

17 Sep 2013, 13:20

{Fanfare}

Acanthophis

17 Sep 2013, 13:22

Muirium wrote:{Fanfare}

Muirium
µ

17 Sep 2013, 13:31

We'll see just how apt that is once Matt3o reports on errors…

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Sep 2013, 15:17

here I present you the HHFox!

sorry for the bad quality I'll take better pictures later. It needs a lot of bending and cutting but it's 99% functional. Pretty proud of it. I'm afraid Muirium's will be a bit more complex since it's 100% steel.

The good news is that it seems we have all the pieces in the right material and thickness. These companies don't usually work with all this variety of designs (they do 100x of 1 design) and I was a bit worried.

Some of the side layers (not the plates) are slightly bent, I guess due to shipping. That's not a big deal since they can be easily reshaped.

mtl's design is very nice and probably it's the one that came out better. I'll take more photos in the next hours/days. Sorry guys but checking for errors takes a lot of time.

More details will follow as soon as I work on other layouts.

Muirium
µ

17 Sep 2013, 15:20

Nice!

Take your time and be as detailed as you like. QA must not be rushed.

(I'll try not to freak out about my one until you've thoroughly explored. Errors are lessons too.)
Last edited by Muirium on 17 Sep 2013, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Sep 2013, 15:30

Someone (don't remember who) got a 3mm steel base. Holy custom keyboards, Batman! That's heavy! I hope shipping it's not too bad.

This is Muirium's layout. If you look to the left you can see my fingers and the usb cable of my (charging) phone. That thing is reflective! The spots are just some dirt you can easily remove.

Everything seems to work, but (like I guessed) it needs some effort to put it back on shape and have all the holes aligned. I haven't checked key sizes and stabs yet ( I don't have enough switches :P )

Muirium
µ

17 Sep 2013, 15:33

Oh wow that's exactly what I wanted! Looking so good.

mtl

17 Sep 2013, 16:05

Wow those look great! Looks like the HHFox compartment worked out well. :) That'll be a sweet keyboard, Muirium!

Muirium
µ

17 Sep 2013, 16:10

Yep. Provided it all lines up (unforgiving steel) and the shiny side is the right side on all three layers where it lies. Hopefully Matt just put the three mirrors upright for effect! Because the mezzanine and base are supposed to reflect in the underside…

Anyway, pretty pleased to see it at last. You check everyone's good and proper Matt.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Sep 2013, 16:16

Muirium wrote:Yep. Provided it all lines up (unforgiving steel) and the shiny side is the right side on all three layers where it lies. Hopefully Matt just put the three mirrors upright for effect! Because the mezzanine and base are supposed to reflect in the underside…

Anyway, pretty pleased to see it at last. You check everyone's good and proper Matt.
nope, they are shiny on both sides (contrary to what they have said to me when asked), simply the "right" side is peel protected hence not damaged and scratched. AKA: all the shiny parts are where they belong.

Muirium
µ

17 Sep 2013, 16:24

Impressive!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Sep 2013, 16:34

mtl's design is impressive. it's a pretty wide keyboards so the layers tend to bend a little. It won't be the easiest to line up, but the screw holes are rather big so I see no issues. The switch holes are a perfect match.

ps: black spots are just the sticky part of the protective peel

Muirium
µ

17 Sep 2013, 16:41

Really like that wide aspect ratio but still keeping balance: much better symmetry than a regular full size board or a TKL. Getting ideas…

Zifle

17 Sep 2013, 17:16

They look awesome, can't wait to get my plates!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Sep 2013, 17:17

I must say that Zifle's is the cutest

imho, he did a big mistake in wanting the base 3mm steel. The holes are very close to the edges and they will be very hard to thread and almost impossible to line up. Maybe he can have it working with screws and nuts (not threading the holes).

mtl

17 Sep 2013, 17:54

That looks really great, matt3o. :-D Now the hard part comes which is fitting all the gear I bought into the case, wiring it all up and getting the bottom on. Then will come the firmware hacking fun.

Thanks for running this mini-GB!!!

Zifle

17 Sep 2013, 18:29

matt3o wrote:I must say that Zifle's is the cutest

imho, he did a big mistake in wanting the base 3mm steel. The holes are very close to the edges and they will be very hard to thread and almost impossible to line up. Maybe he can have it working with screws and nuts (not threading the holes).
I love it ! :3

I'm very aware of the small distance to the edge, I attempted to cut away as much as possible with this one, we'll see how it turns out in the end.

Return to “Group buys”