[IC] Two combos I'd actually buy

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Aug 2013, 12:31

What do you think of the followings (standard ABS+DCS)

Midnight
midnight.png
midnight.png (43.74 KiB) Viewed 6258 times
Fog
fog.png
fog.png (47.25 KiB) Viewed 6258 times
Colors are not final, but just to give you an idea. I'd like midnight to be a little more "charcoal" for example.
Last edited by matt3o on 27 Aug 2013, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.

damorgue

27 Aug 2013, 12:37

I like both of them. The first one looks like the korean set called Graphite which is fairly popular and quite rare. Then again, I tend to like all colour combos which are more subtle with at most one saturated colour.

Any particular reason why the alphas are darker? How would they look if the mods were darker? I like them, just wanted to see what they would be that way.

Edit: [rant] I am growing tired of all these recent attempts (not this) at making as many saturated colours as possible in one set. Nordic layouts aren't offered very often but it seems when they are, they are plagued by what I would consider unicorn vomit colours. [/rant]

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Aug 2013, 12:42

damorgue wrote:I like both of them. The first one looks like the korean set called Graphite which is fairly popular and quite rare. Then again, I tend to like all colour combos which are more subtle with at most one saturated colour.

Any particular reason why the alphas are darker? How would they look if the mods were darker?
I'd prefer to make something original and usually alphas are lighter, hence let's make alphas darker :) But we could invert them of course.

damorgue

27 Aug 2013, 12:44

For the record, I like Midnight more. Fog might be better suited on a lighter case perhaps?

frankbartoli

27 Aug 2013, 12:47

i like it

Muirium
µ

27 Aug 2013, 12:56

I like fog, but not a fan of DCS.

Presumably the colour zones can be mixed up a bit. A single colour across all function keys for instance, and the arrow keys being the opposite colour to the home/end block.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Aug 2013, 13:05

damorgue wrote:Fog might be better suited on a lighter case perhaps?
Fog definitely needs a beige/light case.

Ducky Nordic
Kayvee

27 Aug 2013, 13:06

Ooh, i like the midnight color combo

Halvar

27 Aug 2013, 13:18

Midnight looks very tempting, but as far as I'm concerned, I expect to be spending too much on the next GMK set to consider another DCS set.

BimboBB

27 Aug 2013, 13:28

Why not dark legends on light caps? All (....really all?) recent sets came with light legends on dark ground. So if I would like to try something "original", I would consider dark legends for a change. :P

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Aug 2013, 13:31

BimboBB wrote:Why not dark legends on light caps? All (....really all?) recent sets came with light legends on dark ground. So if I would like to try something "original", I would consider dark legends for a change. :P
fog has both. midnight is too dark for dark legends

Muirium
µ

27 Aug 2013, 13:35

One of the reasons I prefer fog. The dark on dark schemes that Topre likes are just the result of dyesub's inability to put bright ink on dark plastic. Not a problem for doubleshot.

Say: how about a doubleshot with clear legends for the tasteless buggers among us (like me) who'd like a good set for backlights?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Aug 2013, 13:46

Muirium wrote:Say: how about a doubleshot with clear legends for the tasteless buggers among us (like me) who'd like a good set for backlights?
YEAH!

polycarbonate legends might be interesting though

BimboBB

27 Aug 2013, 14:05

matt3o wrote:
BimboBB wrote:Why not dark legends on light caps? All (....really all?) recent sets came with light legends on dark ground. So if I would like to try something "original", I would consider dark legends for a change. :P
fog has both. midnight is too dark for dark legends
Was thinking about complete dark legends....maybe somethink like that....a reminiscence of the Commodore 5/10 keyboards: :)
Attachments
commodore5_remake.jpg
commodore5_remake.jpg (115.54 KiB) Viewed 6153 times

Muirium
µ

27 Aug 2013, 14:07

Electric unicorn vomit and a pony please!

(Clear legends, yes!!)

Halvar

27 Aug 2013, 14:10

I've given up on the idea of doubleshot for backlighted keyboards. I think you'd have to basically design and make completely new molds for that because the first shot on current molds is too irregular or otherwise not suited for a nice shinethrough effect. And it will be hard to do it well because of the different "islands" (middle parts of legends that have to show the second shot, like on letters like AOBDQPaobdpqe) on different legends.

mashby

27 Aug 2013, 14:18

Like them both, would buy them both.

ForestFunK

27 Aug 2013, 14:33

I like fog better but midnight is nice also.

pasph

27 Aug 2013, 18:12

input

27 Aug 2013, 19:28

Both look lovely, with this and beige my wallet will hurt :D

Muirium
µ

27 Aug 2013, 19:52

Halvar wrote:I've given up on the idea of doubleshot for backlighted keyboards. I think you'd have to basically design and make completely new molds for that because the first shot on current molds is too irregular or otherwise not suited for a nice shinethrough effect. And it will be hard to do it well because of the different "islands" (middle parts of legends that have to show the second shot, like on letters like AOBDQPaobdpqe) on different legends.
Yes, you are of course right. Quality backlit caps are the stuff of unicorns, for now. Though with the popularity of Ducky's boards, I can always dream they'll up the stakes and make great caps someday.

Dubsgalore

27 Aug 2013, 21:59

Fog is pretty cool
I think i would rather the legends in the OP over Black/Dark legends for it

terrpn

27 Aug 2013, 23:50

midnight and fog :D

abs :cry:

gotbadger

29 Aug 2013, 22:40

Midnight is very nice... 8-)

nathanscribe

29 Aug 2013, 23:40

"Fog" looks a lot like R3 alphas and vintage Cherry DS modifiers etc. I've had those on my Filco TKL for a while but recently changed to a different combo. Might have a photo somewhere.

LechnerDE

30 Aug 2013, 13:49

I'd buy both sets, if good price tiers are reached :)

nathanscribe

01 Sep 2013, 16:37

Here's my Filco TKL Linear R with a mixture of caps:
  • R3 SP very dark grey F row
    R3 SP grey number row, symbols etc.
    Cherry DS off-white alphas
    Cherry DS beige and Moogle kit modifiers etc.
    Cherry DS black arrow keys
    SP DS red Esc & Enter
Untitled by nathanscribe, on Flickr

Untitled by nathanscribe, on Flickr

Hopefully it gives some idea of how some of these colours might look, though the camera's not great in low light and any yellowing you see in the photo is not present in real life - the Moogle keys are a slightly different shade to the old Cherry beige, but the picture emphasises it rather negatively.

The R3 grey and Cherry beige look very pleasantly muted together in real life. I reckon the Fog set would work really well.

Hypersphere

01 Sep 2013, 17:00

I like the idea of setting off the arrow cluster in a contrasting color from that of adjacent keys.

segfaultless

02 Sep 2013, 19:39

I really like the Midnight set, shame about ABS. :(

Muirium
µ

02 Sep 2013, 19:56

That's how you get bright legends on dark plastic. PBT needs dyesub, and dyesub can only darken plastic, not brighten.

Return to “Group buys”