[IC] Round 5 / color scheme

rindorbrot

23 Oct 2013, 18:38

Muirium wrote:Say, would it be harder to get SP to make the white alphas dyesub PBT while everything else is doubleshot? I'd love a UV resistant set! (Not to mention a PBT space bar, which they do now have…)
Dyesub Alphas for cheaper language packs and PBT 2-Shot modifiers? 8-)

Halvar

23 Oct 2013, 18:41

Can they do DS PBT now? That would be terrific!

Muirium
µ

23 Oct 2013, 18:43

Doubleshot PBT is beyond SP's ability right now. But one day… Anyway, black on white alphas are just asking for Dyesub.

Halvar's got a fair point about what Honeywell would have done with row 0. A choice between grey mods and black mods down there would be optimal. I just love those cream on blacks, but haven't a numpad to put them on!

snoopy

23 Oct 2013, 18:59

If that happens, an additional red "transmit"-button would be nice

will there be addon kits and language kits like in r4?

JSchool

23 Oct 2013, 19:18

I didn't even notice the modifiers had been swapped to black. I really prefer the grey.

7bit

23 Oct 2013, 19:25

snoopy wrote:If that happens, an additional red "transmit"-button would be nice

will there be addon kits and language kits like in r4?
I've prepared these language kits:
DE
DK
ES
FR
IT
NO
PT
SE
UK

Muirium
µ

23 Oct 2013, 19:29

Excellent. Looks like you've done this before…

Is black on white dyesub PBT out of the question for this set? I like to focus my nagging on the possible!

Findecanor

23 Oct 2013, 19:36

I like Halvar's Honeywell rendition with a red Return, and only the nav or numpad keys black. I think the bottom row should be grey and that any black keys should be in a separate key group.
7bit wrote:What about something like this:
The Swedish vintage "ABC" computers had orange and white, but with black letters on all keys.
There are several images on Rune's PC-museum.

I got this set from WASD (engraved OEM-profile). If you choose white alphanumerics, I suggest an orange that is more a "sunshine orange" (more yellow) than red orange.
P1000110.JPG
P1000110.JPG (105.86 KiB) Viewed 12522 times
Overall, I am a fan of white-on-primary modifiers and inverted alphanumerics. I really like the look of the coffee-on-cream, blue-on-white, red-on-cream and red-on-white sets that have been made in DCS profile, but none of these have been available in Swedish/ISO. :(
Inverse would also be great.
Halvar wrote:Tangerine chocolate looks great.
Almost... the "chocolate" is probably really a yellowed grey. (Fluke 1720A).
1720A_02.jpg
1720A_02.jpg (47.99 KiB) Viewed 12522 times

7bit

23 Oct 2013, 19:39

nourathar wrote:great !
I came to this after round 4 so I would still be very interested in a space cadet scheme, preferably one that included all those funky symbols... It is less spectacular color wise, but i like the symbolics scheme too....
This will come in Round 6.
:shock:
Broadmonkey wrote:F12 takes screenshot in steam games ;)
I could add this to a gamer kit consiting of red keys.

7bit

23 Oct 2013, 19:46

Halvar wrote:As for Honeywell, I'd prefer the color distribution to be more PC/MF2 consistent, and less based on the Honeywell original. Kind of like matteo did it in Retro DSA.

For example:
honey_2.png
or
honey_1.png
Links:
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/# ... 5cbec58db0
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/# ... de85b8808e
The black keys are a bit problematic for people who want to put other keys there. I think the only solution would be to offer these black keys as extras for both the cursor section and the complete numpad. In the 2nd graphic, I'd add
PRINT, SCROLL LOCK and PAUSE to the black kit so it looks more consistent.

7bit

23 Oct 2013, 19:49

Muirium wrote:I'd go for a grey backslash and red backspace to balance things out (on a 60%) but these are the kinds of details 7bit can work out with secondary colours, like the traditional selection of escape keys.

Say, would it be harder to get SP to make the white alphas dyesub PBT while everything else is doubleshot? I'd love a UV resistant set! (Not to mention a PBT space bar, which they do now have…)
in red, 2 or 1.5 units:
BACK SPACE
TRANSMIT
CLEAR RESET
Muirium wrote:Is black on white dyesub PBT out of the question for this set? I like to focus my nagging on the possible!
I prefer doubleshot keys!
:mad:

I'm not sure SP is even able to do PBT keys in the spherical molds.
:o

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Oct 2013, 19:58

oh my... too many options :)

I still like my midnight combo. So-so on screen, but it must be really nice in person

7bit

23 Oct 2013, 20:01

Incognito wrote:
matt3o wrote:oh my... to many options :)

I still like my midnight combo. So-so on screen, but it must be really nice in person
...]
hmmm ... a bit hard on the eyes in sub optimal lighting conditions I would have thought ...
At least less contrast as white on black, so not too bad.

Nevertheless, even without adding a poll, I can say that Honeywell is the winner. But I will post a poll anyway to see how many people are really interested.

If we do the modifiers in the same color as alnum keys in Round 4, then these could be combined to get an all white on gray layout.

We could do a BLACK kit with a selection of black keys and a RED kit with a selection of red keys.

Muirium
µ

23 Oct 2013, 20:19

Honeywell is go! <TRANSMIT>

forenleser0815

23 Oct 2013, 20:26

I'm in again but only to replace the Round4 Retro Lightgray-Lightblue Caps.
I still hope you make a special set only to replace this stupid contrast keys. Maybe Lightgray-black or Lightgray-Darkblue.

But not this again. ;-)

7bit

23 Oct 2013, 20:37

I will not run a DCS key group buy again, sorry.
:-)

ps: As I said before, set saturation to +3 and the legends are almost readable in good light.

rindorbrot

23 Oct 2013, 20:49

Will there be replacement keys for the wrong profile numpad + keys?

7bit

23 Oct 2013, 20:52

Yes.

I will also let them make 2.25 and 2.75 units SHIFT and RETURN keys

7bit

23 Oct 2013, 21:15

komar007 wrote:Image
I like this one a lot.
What about this, split up into 2 kits:
RED/ALPHA
BLACK/FUNMOD
your e-mail address
ADDRESS
your shipping ...
Wait!
:?

Seriously: If these come both in only row 3, with just one legend per cap and I add some things like Å Ä Æ, this might be interesting for non-US-layout people as well.
komar007 wrote:@7bit, since GH60 and Hyper are coming soon, what do you think about running dedicated 60% sets? Maybe they could be a bit cheaper than TKL and still provide many layout options.
Could be done.

We could call it SIXTY kit.

nathanscribe

23 Oct 2013, 21:37

I like grey/orange as an idea, I already have pale Cherry DS with R3 grey/dark-grey/Moogle, plus red Esc/Return, which is kind of similar to the Honeywell scheme... would be nice to have some dark, ie. near-black, alphas.

Also, I'll post this just because I can:

Muirium
µ

23 Oct 2013, 22:03

Nice! I've played with the all-in-one version of that HP, and it remains the only time I've ever seen Helvetica on sphericals. Quite a nice keyboard, with so many earth tones going on, and all those tiny function keys.

Thoroughly autumnal.

===

24 Oct 2013, 04:07

I'll throw in another vote for the Honeywell scheme, I need something to replace the ugly caps that came with my Poker.

John Fourth

24 Oct 2013, 06:15

I like 7bit's TKL honeywell version. I also vote for the arrow key column in black.

dirge

24 Oct 2013, 10:17

Muirium wrote:I'll save you-know-who the bother:
Dirge set!
late to the party but, YES! :lol:

ideally would need to be GMK to be authentic and fit with beige cherry sets mind.
Last edited by dirge on 24 Oct 2013, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.

dirge

24 Oct 2013, 10:23

Also that numpad looks like a BBC Micro, my modded one above.

dirge

24 Oct 2013, 10:30

Also have the spherical profiles been discussed? What profiles in which rows?

I think number row in SA Row 2, to match the delete key. Function row in SA Row 1.

Shame there's not much in the SS profile, I'd have liked the spacebar row to have more of a positive angle like classic cherry. SS have a 19 degree!

Muirium
µ

24 Oct 2013, 10:49

Oh man, red Beeb f-row! Once I get the colour wheel I'll size up a BBC Micro with it too. Knew I'd seen that bold black numpad somewhere…

Thanks for reminding me about row profiles too, Dirge. A full list of what size molds SP has in each row would be most useful! Are all our mods stuck in row 3?

I like row 1 profile for the number row, to give a 60% the full height sweep, but I can see your point on a bigger board with both.

7bit

24 Oct 2013, 10:55

Not sure if the function row should be row 1 profile.

row 1 !1 @2 #3 $4....
row 2 Q W E R T Y
row 3 A S D F G
row 4 Z X C V B (1.25, 2.25 and 2.75 units keys are row 3 only)
row 3 ALT SUPER CONTROL SPACE ...

I might add an extra kit for row 2-bottom row with 1.5 and 1 unit keys. I use LEFT DOWN RIGHT from row 2 right now, which is much better than row 3 or row 4, because I tend to type these keys with my thumb. If they are row 4, I hit the edge, not the surface as I do with row 2 keys.

dirge

24 Oct 2013, 11:27

As long as the key profiles match horizontally across the whole board then I'm fine, just having a different profile for row one single unit keys and the delete at the end isn't ideal.

And that Beeb colour is a strange one, also the beeb keys are not black just very very dark brown!

Muirium
µ

24 Oct 2013, 11:34

True. (I don't have my own Beeb but will scrutinise someone else's! It's in good shape so I should get good colour IDs.)
7bit wrote:Not sure if the function row should be row 1 profile.

row 1 !1 @2 #3 $4....
row 2 Q W E R T Y
row 3 A S D F G
row 4 Z X C V B (1.25, 2.25 and 2.75 units keys are row 3 only)
row 3 ALT SUPER CONTROL SPACE ...

I might add an extra kit for row 2-bottom row with 1.5 and 1 unit keys. I use LEFT DOWN RIGHT from row 2 right now, which is much better than row 3 or row 4, because I tend to type these keys with my thumb. If they are row 4, I hit the edge, not the surface as I do with row 2 keys.
Thanks for the list, 7bit. I have an arrow set like yours (the SPH set Matteo sold me has three different arrow clusters!) and it's a nice profile change.

1.25u Command and Option (x2) are all I ask for Mac wise. I like my row 0 mods 1.25.

Are you doing POS again? (I'll forgive you if you retire those alongside DCS. But that row 3 red kit looks a good POS.)

Return to “Group buys”